Morning links: BYU’s Lopini Katoa among nation’s best returning running backs against a stacked box

• one liner Dallas, TX
    July 12, 2019 3:44 p.m.

cougsndowgs,

I agree 100%.

Prior to last season moss seemed like a good but not great RB. While I'd put him on BYU's roster in a heartbeat I find some of the Ute hype about him over-blown. He's not a top 10 RB, I think he makes one top 25 list at #25. his NFL potential depends on this year - will he continue the trend he started last year and have an upward trajectory or not - nobody knows what he'll do. If he entered the draft last year he'd be lucky to land a team and would most likely work out but is borderline NFL stock.

Allow me to share the ridicule, however I don't think that the guys ridiculing us have much to show for themselves.

As for Katoa, I'd take Moss over him any day, but that's Moss as a Senior and Katoa didn't give us enough to see last year. Health was a major issue and showed in consistency with 3 games having a single carry bracketed between some games where he was a very serviceable RB.

Putting the Freshman Katoa against the Junior Moss on identical teams we have 4.88:4.5 with Zona. go back to Moss's freshman year and Katoa looks a lot better on paper. But I don't find either of them "elite", maybe one or both might be, I wanna see some football.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 12, 2019 10:25 a.m.

one liner:
    I know you're relatively new, but I don't think I've taken the opportunity to welcome you and tell you I've liked your takes on multiple threads. Though I don't always agree with you on everything (I do on most things), I like that you're a straight shooter, no ambiguity.

So let me give you some back-story on Moss: I made the 'mistake' last summer of suggesting Moss was a "good back", not a "great back" and comparing him to RBs at UGA. Yes, it was that trivial...but AZute and his buddies have been offended about it ever since. Apparently I have it in for the kid now because I don't think highly enough of him as a RB. SMH

I'm happy to have our transfers, and I think so long as Katoa can stay healthy we should be decent at RB...not great but good enough. I wonder if Y fans will now whine about me suggesting our backfield will only be average lol.

Welcome to the DN comment board jungle lol. :)

• one liner Dallas, TX
    July 12, 2019 7:57 a.m.

This article has nothing to do with Zack Moss.

And who goes back in history to see who supported or "dogged" a player from day one?

Zack Moss, day one, was one of a number of RBs who all had enough potential to make the team. I wasn't a big fan until he turned it on - props to him and not me because I didn't put on extra muscle and preform well in games, he did.

Why is anybody linking their ego with Zack Moss on an article about how Katoa has a surprising stat?

Any reasonable BYU fan would take Moss in a heartbeat, and any reasonable Utah fan would welcome Katoa as well because he's certainly got potential. But when I say reasonable, I don't mean the kid sitting in a basement in Arizona who wakes up enraged about the knock to his ego because an article had a "gee whiz" stat about a BYU RB who has potential but is yet to be fully proven.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 11, 2019 7:38 p.m.

“U can dispense with the histrionics now, mama. Lol”

Mama? That’s the best you’ve got? Hardy, Har, Har.....That was a good one.....Unbelievable.

I did in fact catch you red-handed.....You were in fact back-tracking.....And you have been guilty of dogging our ZM from Day 1.

Which part of this all confuses you?

Your subsequent spin fools nobody, period.

Go Utes!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 11, 2019 9:48 a.m.

Azute:
    U didn't catch anyone red-handed, and no one is back-tracking. I'm stating facts about what I said, and my intent which was completely different than your contrived nonsense. Now U want to continue antagonizing me when it's obvious U were the one that made false and biased assumptions about me. YOU don't know me from Adam, but that didn't stop you from judging my "intent" now did it? Typical hypocrisy.

As for "smack" on Moss, all I've ever done was state my opinion which is that he's an average back...that opinion may or may not be proven accurate as his career progresses. But U, from day one, have cried about my honest opinion and assessment, like you're his mama and I've stolen his candy. At no point have I ever wished ill will on Zack Moss...by all accounts he seems like a good kid and an honorable person and I honestly hope for nothing but a healthy and productive season for him.

U can dispense with the histrionics now, mama. Lol

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 11, 2019 6:02 a.m.

No U haven't "been there, done that".

——-

Absolutely, I have.....Fact is, you don’t know me from Adam, period.

——-

——-

How in the world could you possibly know what ZM’s experienced w/his friends & teammates? Are you a part of his inner-circle? Fact is, you possess zero knowledge regarding it, period.

You’ve been running smack on ZM since Day 1.....I caught you red-handed & all you’re attempting to do is to back-track yourself & it’s not working lil’ bro, period.

Nice try.

Go Utes!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 10, 2019 5:37 p.m.

Azute:
    "Been there, done that, but wholly different than your intent w/your comment..."

No U haven't "been there, done that". If U had U would understand my intent was to poke fun at the situation NOW. I had nothing but well wishes for the young man back when it happened, and hoped for a speedy and full recovery, which thankfully he's had. There's nothing in my comment to suggest I wish him any ill will.

But since U seem to be a mind reader and know my intent, please show where I've ever mocked a kid's injury when it happened. It's not me. Not even in my DNA. I'd never wish injury or ill fate on a 20 yr old kid trying to make his way.

The irony here is Moss would probably just smile/laugh at my comment (again he's already heard the jokes from his friends and teammates...and if it fuels him, all the better). U on the other hand can't stop whining and judging me about it. Get over it already.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 10, 2019 4:30 p.m.

“If U can't see that, U've never been on a team or in a locker-room before.”

Been there, done that, but wholly different than your intent w/your comment, in spite of your vain attempt to back-track.....Nice try, as you’ve already been rightfully called out.

FTR, his injury, for all intents & purposes, was pre-existent to climbing into bed.....Common-sense indicates this clearly.

Go Utes!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    July 10, 2019 12:20 p.m.

I wonder if when John Lennon wrote his hit song "Imagine" he was referring to the possibility of Utah fans commenting on articles that pertained to their own team?

• one liner Dallas, TX
    July 10, 2019 9:20 a.m.

The point is Katoa was surprisingly good in one specific stat.

I don't see any BYU fans calling him elite, but I don't see the harm in looking oking at his accomplishment and hoping that he becomes elite.

Moss is good, he got #25 on the top 25 so that's great for him - perhaps you Utes can ask dnews to do an article on moss.

Or maybe you can just comment on the moss articles that don't get so many comments

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 10, 2019 5:37 a.m.

70% of his yards came in 3 games: McNesse State
    Hawaii
    New Mexico State

No, Katoa is not an elite RB.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    July 10, 2019 2:05 a.m.

brother roscoe.....
    "9 is coming"...
    you're right, starting this year with 1...just like so many times before...

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 9, 2019 7:54 p.m.

Sheesh! This is an article about a running back at BYU. How much more pathetic can the BYU haters get with their inferiority complex?

• one liner Dallas, TX
    July 9, 2019 1:10 p.m.

"However, educated sport's fans read and comment on a variety of articles, as opposed to focusing on just their own little world."

Come on!

Yes, read up on other teams, but USC articles aren't inundated with ute fan comments although that's the biggest conference game for Utah this year.

I'm all for following other teams, and I'm the first one to criticize byu fans who troll the Utes, but let's not pretend that Utah fans who troll BYU are normal.

For most of those Utah fans, it has nothing to do with sports.

• Lester L. Wester Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2019 12:15 p.m.

Blacksburg Coog: "See, that's what you do when you don't care about another team. You don't read their articles nor do you comment on them."

Thanks for the lesson. However, educated sport's fans read and comment on a variety of articles, as opposed to focusing on just their own little world.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2019 10:22 a.m.

Navel Vet - Philadelphia, PA
    July 8, 2019 1:44 p.m.

"An article about a ybU-p running back..."

The inability to spell BYU coincides with an inability to make sportsman like comments.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 9, 2019 10:11 a.m.

"Takes a little man to mock a kid’s injury....."

Wow. Drama much?

Let me set the record straight for ya, bud. Myself along with any BYU fan I know felt awful for Moss when he went down...no one wants to see a kid get injured, especially if the injury is career threatening (or heaven forbid, life threatening). Thankfully this injury was neither for ZM.

Now that the injury is in the rear-view and he looks to be as good or better than ever with a bright future, I guarantee you his friends and teammates have joked and teased with Moss about the craziness of how he injured his knee. I can hear the "be safe going to bed tonight" jokes now lol. If U can't see that, U've never been on a team or in a locker-room before. I'm sure even Zack, now at 100%, has probably laughed about it along with them. He's a big boy...he doesn't need obsessed Mother Hen U fans crying about something he's definitely been teased about already by those who care about him more than U and me.

SMH

• Thin Blue Line ,
    July 9, 2019 7:37 a.m.

@itswhatithink - West Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2019 7:48 p.m.
    "To the ?Y? Fans who are commenting about Utah fans commenting on articles on the ?Y?. the answer to the question is that 95% of the articles about football are about the ?Y?....

When the sportswriters start writing article that are about Utah, we will be happy to not comment on meaningless articles like this."

There are countless news sources other than the DN. When I want to read about my Terps, Orioles and Ravens, I read the Baltimore Sun. If I want to read about the Utes, I read the Tribune. When I want to read about my Cougars, I come here.

I guess that is why you have come here also?

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    July 8, 2019 10:09 p.m.

I'm glad he's an option, assuming he's healthy. He's a good player, not sure if I can call him great yet. Time will tell.

Kavika Fonua and Lopini Katoa are two good options at RB. The grad transfers are probably better. I'm sure they'll be the featured guys this year. The only guy not banged up right now is the guy from Rice, that's my biggest worry.

I do like some of the upside that some of the true freshman bring to the table. We'll see how that goes. I think the future is bright at this position group.

Excited for Fall, Go Cougs!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 8, 2019 8:14 p.m.

Takes a little man to mock a kid’s injury.....Unbelievable, really, but to be expected.

ZM is hands-down one of the nation’s very best RBs & will become a high-round draft pick.

He’ll also shatter every one of our records in a program rich in RB history.

Go ZM!

Go Utes!

• itswhatithink West Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2019 7:48 p.m.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 8, 2019 7:40 p.m.

Against the #69 ranked SOS?

Go Utes!

• Mowgli54 Granite Bay, CA
    July 8, 2019 7:22 p.m.

There are two issues for Katoa. Injuries and RB depth. If he stays healthy, he may have a great year. We've seen his combo of power, quicks and sufficient speed to cause trouble. Kinda reminds me of a poor man's Barry Sanders. And if Esupka, Williams and others, Allgeier and Fonua I suppose, earn a decent share of touches, the risk of injury for Katoa drops. Or maybe it will be Katoa taking the heat off Williams or Eskupa. Who knows. What would be fun is a kind of RB controversy, where that Williams, Katoa, Esupka, etc. do so well that the fans argue who deserves the most carries. Not far off-stage are the speedy new kids who will likely get a shot, at least against Liberty and Idaho State, for example.

So if Grimes can keep on the field every play a fresh pair or legs and a guy who isn't winded, and if Zach Wilson is connecting his passes with the TE and wideouts, we cause the opposing defensive coordinator anxious moments. I love anxiety. When the other guy has it.

• matman Provo, UT
    July 8, 2019 5:58 p.m.

@hawii ute

neither hawaii or ute have won a thing in football and you're still talking

• RR International Falls, MN
    July 8, 2019 5:51 p.m.

"you spelled "making fun of" wrong..."

Oh, I did?

OBSESSIVELY

There, fixed it for ya.

• rlsintx Saratoga Springs, UT
    July 8, 2019 5:43 p.m.

BYU football - I can't decide if moribund or underacheiving is the right term. Time to WIN.

Katoa didn't really do much except one game against a fairly weak team. Hope he has a really solid breakout year for the Cougs.

• matman Provo, UT
    July 8, 2019 5:06 p.m.

Surprise surprise it's @Utah Hawaii again, and you're calling BYU talks too much? I assume your team still got no ring? Neither utes or hawaii has any haha.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 8, 2019 3:17 p.m.

@RR

"spend their afternoon obsessively analyzing a young BYU RB"

You spelled "making fun of" wrong...

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 8, 2019 3:09 p.m.

brother roscoe:
    "U say that Utah fans should move on, as some say they have, but do U really want to be ignored?"

By U fans? Yes, please...I'm glad one of U finally figured it out. Well half figured it out...seems U are still under the misapprehension that your opinion matters that much to Y fans. It doesn't, so yes please, move on and ignore the Y. Nothing would make most of us happier.

• RR Omaha, NE
    July 8, 2019 3:08 p.m.

I have a riddle for you Smeagol:

What's red and white, painfully ignored by their rival they love, and spend their afternoon obsessively analyzing a young BYU RB they know almost nothing about?

HINT: there more than five of them today.

• Thin Blue Line ,
    July 8, 2019 2:44 p.m.

@JackRyanSLC - Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2019 2:29 p.m.
    "For those dogging Moss...simple question BYU fans, if you could trade one of your RB's for Moss, would you do it?"

Nobody dogged Moss. But many are dogging Katoa.

• brother roscoe Lehi, UT
    July 8, 2019 2:34 p.m.

y is it that in every coug article we have the coug fans complaining about Utah fans commenting? yet on Utah articles y fans comment on there are no such complaints?
    U say that Utah fans should move on, as some say they have, but do U really want to be ignored? U fan is the only one acknowledging the y, we're all U got as far as attention, lol
    That said I think Katoa is a solid back that if he avoids injury should have a good year.
    Here's to hoping he stays injury free

9 is coming

• JohnInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2019 2:30 p.m.

"Time for U to take your little red and white pom poms and Powder Pac nerf balls and picnic somewhere else."

coog'n'TeamB:

Does that mean you, and the other coog fans here whining about Ute fans, are going to quit posting on Utah stories? Or, are you just going to confirm the stereotype?

• JackRyanSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2019 2:29 p.m.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    July 8, 2019 2:23 p.m.

Here's hoping that Katoa can stay healthy and have a break out season. I thought he ran very well when he was healthy.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    July 8, 2019 2:16 p.m.

Just imagine if BYU would've offered All American Josh Davis who was in their own back-yard, they wouldn't have to qualify their statements about their RB's.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    July 8, 2019 2:06 p.m.

I'm glad to have Katoa in the backfield, he's a hard-worker and strong kid who runs with an edge. Is he a 4.4, open field nightmare? No he isn't, but neither is Moss. So please stop bringing Zack "Can't Climb Into Bed" Moss into discussions about BYU RBs (especially when U can't even spell the kid's name right...but yeah, he's your idol and a special player...I'm sure "Zac(h)'s mother would agree lol).

Time for U to take your little red and white pom poms and Powder Pac nerf balls and picnic somewhere else. Be fans of integrity and keep your promise of "moving on" and stop caring about the Y. See that rectangular wood fixture in the wall? That's called a door, don't let it hit U in the backside on the way out.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 8, 2019 2:05 p.m.

UtahBruin,
    He would probably be a practice squad linebacker at Utah or UCLA.

• JohnInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2019 1:46 p.m.

"4.9 Yards per carry against Arizona, P12, Moss didn't have that.
    8 Yards per carry against California, P12, Moss didn't have that against North Dakota."

UtahTeamB:

He also had:

0.0 yards per carry against UMass, Ind., Moss didn't have that against anybody.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 8, 2019 1:44 p.m.

An article about a ybU-p running back and 100% of the comments from cougar fans are about Ute fans. Interesting, very, very interesting.

#ObsessedIndy-WACers

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    July 8, 2019 1:14 p.m.

An article about a BYU running back and 75% of the comments from Ute fans. Interesting, very, very interesting.

• JohnInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2019 1:02 p.m.

"Did I miss the Utah article?"

adnauseum:

Nope, we all did. The DNews is in season-ticket-sales mode.

• UtahBruin Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 8, 2019 12:58 p.m.

Utah fans who wish to troll, just because it is a BYU player. And make excuses that they played NMSU. I am not saying the Katoa is going to win the Heisman, as some Utah fans think this is all about that. This is a running back that has........

5.6 yards per carry average.
    Scores a TD in every 9.5 carries.
    Only has two breaks over 15 yards, demonstrates a head down workhorse when he does carry.
    4.9 Yards per carry against Arizona, P12, Moss didn't have that.
    3.4 Yards per carry against Washington, P12, OK Moss was a little better than that.
    3.3 Yards per carry against Wisconsin.

I am not trying to diminish Moss here, he is an amazing and powerful running back. What I am saying is Kotoa may not be a Heisman winner. But he is a back that I would love to have in my backfield. This kid runs hard, and if given more opportunity might be another Moss like runner. But there isn't a Utah fan out there that if they could have this kid as a fill in for Moss on off carries and downs that wouldn't accept him with open arms. If you say no, we know you are not truthful and a typical Utah fan.

• Cougar 89 Shelley, ID
    July 8, 2019 12:58 p.m.

BYU articles I've read: all of them
    U of U articles I've read: zero

It is incredible how interested and obsessed Ute fans are with BYU sports.

• BlacksburgCoug Blacksburg, VA
    July 8, 2019 12:57 p.m.

Imma go over to some articles about Utah football and make disparaging comments.

Oh, wait. No I'm not. Because I DON'T CARE about Utah football. Because I'm a BYU fan.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 8, 2019 12:45 p.m.

So what I'm getting from this is, when a Pop Warner team puts 8 in the box and Katoa runs the ball at it, he gets 5.6 ypc? Got it.

• Adinfinitum ,
    July 8, 2019 12:39 p.m.

Did I miss the Utah article?

• CO Ute , 00
    July 8, 2019 12:36 p.m.

So a BYU running back that likely won’t be a starter has a great metric (based on a limited amount of playing time) for a very specific situation. OK that is fine but I will take Zach Moss who is rated as one of the top RBs in college football for all situations.

• JustGordon Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2019 11:53 a.m.

Kotoa had 155 yards of his 423 yards rushing against NMSTU... that is 37% of all his yards in ONE game!! By the way, NMSTU was a team whose defense was 126th in the country out of 130 teams n 2018!! In the NMSTU game,​ he had 19 of his 76 attempts...It doesn't take a genius to figure out why Kotoa did so well.

In games against P5 competition, he had 24 carries for a total of only 92 yards.

This story is a reminder that statistics are like a bikini...what they reveal is enticing, but what they conceal is vital.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    July 8, 2019 11:03 a.m.

@ one liner,

Yeah, Katoa is a bonafide "world-beater" in D1 FBS football......a "TRUE" Heisman Trophy lock without doubt! I mean lil' Zachary Wilson and Jaren Hall will also be in the top 5 at the award ceremony as well. BYu is all about the Heisman Trophy every year.

• one liner Dallas, TX
    July 8, 2019 10:32 a.m.

Katoa showed some great promise, the problem is that he looked great in this specific type of star.

Need to see him perform well on the field.

This is a great year for that, hope he competes well against the transfers and grows to be a solid go-to next year.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 8, 2019 9:26 a.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum,
    That a Ute is succeeding in the NBA is the norm for Utah.

That a football player is good in one little area in the right circumstance and that a former basketball player is earning a chance to play in a foreign country is outstanding for byu.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    July 8, 2019 8:50 a.m.

Wut up wit all this "nothing burger" whY hype yet again? Katoa, really? Mika in the NBA, really?

How about mentioning former Ute Delon Wright's new 3yr/$29 million contract with the Dallas Mavericks??????