Boy receives 'scratches' from bear in Utah canyon; animal tracked and killed

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Youyouyouyou Lexington, NC
    June 19, 2019 11:10 a.m.

Shame on utah. This is soooo wrong on so many levels. The scouts invaded the bears territory and the bear gets shot. If this is going to happen then people shouldn't be allowed to camp there at all. People screw up everything they touch. The scout leader had to be an idiot to even take them there.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    June 19, 2019 7:49 a.m.

@Chancey - Sandy, UT
    June 18, 2019 5:03 p.m.
    Seems like with any contact between a bear and a child; DWR made the correct response."

New reports say the bear never saw the kid and the kid didn't see the bear. The bear came upon a tent in his woods and pawed at it. The kid got scratched through the tent. But, hey, let's explore the wilderness and kill anything that doesn't run away.

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    June 18, 2019 11:27 p.m.

Bear does the 'bear minimum', and still gets put down? WOW! That's, like, unbearable—especially if you're 'the bear'.

I mean, this really counters all those songs one hears about not letting others "put you down". I mean, hey, does a bear deserve to be "put down" this way for a few scratches?

You'd guess if any of the bears he knows hears about it, they won't any of them, let kids get off with just a few scratches.

And, my comments here are bearly humorous!

Who is laughing? Certainly, I am not!

Such consequences are unbearable to take.

OK, I'll stop (if THEY will)!! [NOT the bears, the people, for "putting bears down"]!!

• Puukko Orem , 00
    June 18, 2019 11:01 p.m.

Came here for the comments and was not disappointed. Glad the bear was tracked down and killed.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 18, 2019 8:08 p.m.

@Impartial: I agree. Unfortunately that won't stop the Utah DWR from being sued if the bear came back.

• Chancey Sandy, UT
    June 18, 2019 5:03 p.m.

Seems like with any contact between a bear and a child; DWR made the correct response. A two year old bear will only get bigger and more aggressive. Usually black bears are very wary of human contact, all I've seen in Utah are moving away from me as fast as possible. When that doesn't happen, chances are that there will be problems.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 18, 2019 2:42 p.m.

1. Trap bear.
    2. Send it to Yellowstone.

Everyone is happier and the problem is solved. I'd vote myself a tax increase to cover the cost of relocating wildlife rather than just blowing it away.

• Harrison Bergeron Salt Lake City, UT
    June 18, 2019 2:33 p.m.

@ Silver Stingray

I was going to make your exact comment, but then reading Ernest T. Bass’ comment I remembered the Sam Ives incident. They were camping in a remote area outside of the National Forest campgrounds. To make matters worse they left food out. Further complicating matters, the parents were using drugs which incapacitated them to the boys screams while he was dragged out of the family tent.

In spite of all that, our Jack-pot Justice System held the taxpayers liable to the tune of $1.95 million. Part of the reason for the judgment was that the bear had previously had a run-in with another individual. So now, I suppose, the policy must be “Shoot now, or pay later.”

Very sad.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    June 18, 2019 2:32 p.m.

I'm sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic and funny..

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    June 18, 2019 2:02 p.m.

"jsf - Centerville, UT
    June 18, 2019 1:36 p.m.
    "This may come back to bite them." that is why the bear was put down."

No. The bear was put down due to irrational thinking. You read the article? The bear didn't wander down into a campground. People camped in his yard. He was naturally curious. If he was mean and aggressive, the kid wouldn't be around to whine about his "scratch". This philosophy of killing animals that react to humans intruding in their habitat needs to change. Watch the national fallout and another embarrassment for Utah.

• mountainlocal Brooklyn, NY
    June 18, 2019 1:42 p.m.

If I go camping in bear country I bring bear spray, canisters for my food, don't keep food in my tent, etc. As humans, we are entering their territory.

I don't understand the cost or logistics involved in a relocation, but killing an animal, because it was likely sniffing around for food, seems like lazy policy.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    June 18, 2019 1:36 p.m.

"This may come back to bite them." that is why the bear was put down.

• Silver Stingray St George, UT
    June 18, 2019 1:32 p.m.

Why on earth did they need to kill it? They should have relocated it. Bears are bears after all.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    June 18, 2019 1:08 p.m.

@Ernest T. Bass - Bountiful, UT
    June 18, 2019 12:25 p.m.
    @Impartial: You are correct, but the State was sued when a bear was aggressive then came back and killed a boy the next night"

Yes, I remember. But,
    "The incident happened about 6 a.m. in the left fork of Hobble Creek Canyon, near the top of the canyon on private property, according to a statement from the agency."

I don't see how the State can be libel for bears on private property or public lands outside of a campground (I know that won't matter to some lawyers). Maybe we should carpet bomb the wilderness, kill everything wild, and replace it with domesticated animals. I still think they should have handled it differently. This may come back to bite them.

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    June 18, 2019 12:35 p.m.

I've taken about a dozen solo backcountry trips in Yosemite National Park, camping several miles from the nearest trail. A bear has sniffed around my camp at night several times, guess they should be euthanized.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 18, 2019 12:25 p.m.

@Impartial: You are correct, but the State was sued when a bear was aggressive then came back and killed a boy the next night. Camping in bear territory has obvious inherent risks but that won't stop attorneys from doing what attorneys do.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    June 18, 2019 12:14 p.m.

Camp out in bear territory and when a bear comes to check it out-kill it? DWR down there is blood thirsty. They could have just as easily tranquilized it and relocated it miles away. What a waste.