Manti's Mormon Miracle Pageant prepares to come to a close with 52 years of memories

• Aussie Teacher WESTON, VT
    June 18, 2019 6:12 a.m.

I think it is a terrible decision and yet another example of moving awaynfrom all thatnis unique in our church. Mormon Tabernacle changed etc. I wonder when the Book of Mormon will be changed to get away from the disliked 'Mormon'. I am proud to be known by that name. Bring back the pageants

• Mack2828 Kenton Vale, KY
    June 17, 2019 11:40 a.m.

Sad deal. I don't even hardly recognize our church anymore.

• Viva la Migra Denver, CO
    June 14, 2019 4:25 p.m.

I agree about the traffic problems following the show. I found that heading south towards I70 made for a much quicker route to I-15 after a few shows. IMO the traffic following a stadium of fire show was much, much worse, when parking near the Marriott center.

It's sad to see the show end. I've got a lot of family and friends who live in that area who have enjoyed participating over the years, and the local wards benefited from the pre-show turkey dinners.

It seems like a lot of the fun activities traditionally associated with the church are disappearing.

• OldMain Saratoga Springs, UT
    June 14, 2019 2:46 p.m.

@Packers and Bachelor of Science

The church is not moving away from the historical aspect of the Book of Mormon. Far from it. I've heard people speculate this is the case with ending the pageants. One only need to read the new church history book "Saints" to know that the church is not shying away from proclaiming the truth and historicity of the Book of Mormon.

From a more secular point of view, new technologies are causing researchers to rethink what they once "knew" about ancient civilizations in the Americas. There is a great article on National Geographic.com that details what scientist discovered in the Guatemalan jungle with the help of LIDAR. The article is entitled: " Exclusive: Laser Scans Reveal Maya "Megalopolis" Below Guatemalan Jungle: A vast, interconnected network of ancient cities was home to millions more people than previously thought." It is well worth the read. It certainly proves nothing about the Book of Mormon, but it does prove that we don't know as much as we thought we did about the ancient civilizations of the Americas.

• Truth2017 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 14, 2019 2:06 p.m.

The pageant is great. It is put on by thousands of volunteers. It is free, wholesome entertainment for the whole family. It harkens back to an earlier era, and the people who settled and help create the state we live in. It also shows the religious beliefs of those people. Its a terrific experience, you should go if you haven’t seen it. Its fun. I am sad to see it go. I think its a mistake to cancel it. I want to personally thank all the volunteers that have worked so hard over the years to put on the pageant.

• lovinlife13 North Salt Lake, UT
    June 14, 2019 1:51 p.m.

I'm so excited to go this year. I've seen it once, with a youth conference group (chaperone) and my daughter remembers going to see it with her dad, when she was little. Now, her and I are going and will be working to create some special memories for her and I. She has told me how important it is to sleep in a tent, eat the dinner in the park, and sit on a blanket on the hill. For me, I get to spend two days with my daughter, full of nostalgia. I don't care how professional vs. cheesy the production is. Those memories will make it all worth it for us.

• wjutjck Taylorsville, UT
    June 14, 2019 1:23 p.m.

I've seen it 2-3 times and really enjoyed it. We are planning on going this year. It has been a wonderful pageant. For the naysayers, it's done by locals and amateurs, if you are expecting a Professional Broadway Production, you will be disappointed. If you remember, it's a local amateur production, you should enjoy it as such.

• bachelors of science Brigham City, UT
    June 14, 2019 1:03 p.m.

@ packers

I was thinking the same thing. I think these pageants raise a lot of questions about the history of the Book of Mormon.

With the Church going to a more spiritual position than a historical one on the Book of Mormon, the decision to be done with these pageants makes sense.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 14, 2019 12:55 p.m.

Manti is going to miss the money the visitors brought each year

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    June 14, 2019 9:56 a.m.

I saw the pageant twice, in 1977 and 1985. The thing I remember most was driving from Provo to Manti (and back) in 1977 with my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew. My brother was so frustrated with the traffic on the return drive that he drove most of the way in the oncoming (left) lane, pulling over only when he saw approaching headlights. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so spooked.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    June 14, 2019 9:45 a.m.

The best part of it was that it brought many in the community together. Put efforts now into local celebration events and that can continue.

• dordrecht Salt Lake City, UT
    June 14, 2019 9:05 a.m.

Many years ago I attended this pageant and felt embarrassed as well as uncomfortable, to be very polite. However, the Choir on Temple Square does a bang-up job!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 14, 2019 8:30 a.m.

@Bunca

You're not alone. I couldn't agree more. A few years ago we took the ward's YM/YW to the Manti pageant and I thought it was very awkward and embarrassing. Not to mention all the antis picketing on the way in. Afterwards all the leaders unanimously agreed that we shouldn't have gone.

• LadyMoon Pittsburgh, PA
    June 14, 2019 6:17 a.m.

What’s next on the shutdown docket? The Book of Mormon play? : -)

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 13, 2019 5:40 p.m.

I’ve been probably 6-7 times and I’ve enjoyed it. I’m planning on going one last time.

• Bunca Kaysville, UT
    June 13, 2019 4:49 p.m.

I am going to be blunt - I am sure it brought in a lot of tourism and money to Manti and the surrounding area, but I went to the pageant once and would never go again. I was totally underwhelmed and a bit embarrassed by the low quality of it all. That was 20 years ago, so maybe things have changed, but maybe not and maybe that is why they didn't want to continue it any longer. Then after watching it, it took us at least 2 - 3 hours just to get out of Manti - we sat in a nonmoivng line of cars for what seemed like forever. Not a fun experience with several young children with us. Again, maybe they got the whole traffic thing under control better from when I was there last, but the whole experience was not really worth it.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 13, 2019 4:00 p.m.

Why aren't the doing the pageant any more?