Utah Republican Sens. Mike Lee, Mitt Romney split on Trump's Saudi Arabia arms sale

• zipadeedoodah Lehi, UT
    June 18, 2019 10:35 p.m.

Finally, Romney got something right. Surprisingly Lee got it wrong.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 13, 2019 7:27 p.m.

@ at long last

"Utah Girl Chronicles- Seems to me your side of the political spectrum (the far left, if you don't understand) used to say that about the Soviet Union and Communism, that they were on 'the right side of history'. Well, who knows, perhaps you will be right THIS time.

I'm thankful anyone enjoys my comments. Your appreciation means a great deal to me.

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    June 13, 2019 3:26 p.m.

Words that I thought would never pass my lips..."I agree with Lee." I'm getting light headed from that comment.

Trump wants to keep selling arms to the Saudi government because he claims it creates more jobs in the U.S.

It is also rumored that Trump gets loans and other financial support from the Saudi's.

The Saudi's are slaughtering and starving Yemeni's to death, literally.

Trump thinks the Saudi's are our friends. They never have been and they have been responsible for numerous attacks on the U.S. Anyone remember 9/11?

Stopping Trump is the best thing that we can do for our country, and the rest of the world. I'll take whatever opposition to Trump is offered.

• What in Tucket Provo, UT
    June 13, 2019 1:21 p.m.

I think the question has been posed. Do we help Saudi Arabia stem Iranian activity or do we stand by and let them buy from others? In WW II we worked with the Soviet Union and they did most of the work in shrinking the German army. I don't like the Saudi government and I don't like children as casualties, but shouldn't we try to help the Saudi's fight off Iran? Just today I think it looks like a couple of tankers were hit by Iran.

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    June 13, 2019 12:11 p.m.

at long last. . . : "Seems to me your side of the political spectrum (the far left, if you don't understand) used to say that about the Soviet Union and Communism, that they were on 'the right side of history'."

oh oh oh, do me next! I disagree with you vehemently. What am I? Give me a label too!!!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 13, 2019 10:19 a.m.

@Rick for truth

"So, do we support and arm Saudi Arabia as a proxy to fight the Iranian world aggression, or do we just go it alone and fight Iran by ourselves?"

Comments like this frustrate me. It's not an either/or thing! Why do conservatives try to turn everything into a "it's black or it's white" argument?

Saudi Arabia can still be a buffer between the west and Iran without selling them more weapons. And if it came to a war, the U.S. would not be fighting Iran by itself - there would be a large coalition of countries on our side. We're not forced to support either Saudi Arabia or Iran...we don't have to support either one. The fate of the world does not hang on the U.S. supporting one or the other!

• Rick for Truth Provo, UT
    June 13, 2019 9:57 a.m.

The Saudi royal ruling house is an oppressive government. The problem you have is two fold. One, you cannot use western and American values in judging their nation. They simply to not work, think, or act in the same way. Two, they are one of the best, freest governments in the Middle East. They are a buffer between the rest of the world and Iran. So, do we support and arm Saudi Arabia as a proxy to fight the Iranian world aggression, or do we just go it alone and fight Iran by ourselves. Because, it is a matter of when not if that Iran will force us to act militarily against their world terror.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    June 13, 2019 8:29 a.m.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 13, 2019 8:23 a.m.

Credit where it's due. I've been very critical of Mike Lee because almost everything he does is wrong and embarrassing. But he's doing the right thing here. The Saudi royal family hacked up a journalist they didn't like and dissolved his body in a vat of acid - I cringe to think about what they can do with more serious weaponry.

Now, go do the right thing on the next issue, Mike. Let's make it two in a row!

• one old man MSC, UT
    June 13, 2019 7:26 a.m.

Saudi Arabia's leader murders those who disagree with him, imprisons others for whatever reason may cross his mind, orders attacks on civilian neighborhoods in neighboring countries, orders executions by such things as crucifixion, and who knows what else goes on in that often secretive country.

But trump insists we sell him advanced weapons systems.

Why? To stimulate our American economy, of course.

Gee, what could possibly go wrong with this?

• WeThePeople Sandy, UT
    June 12, 2019 11:48 p.m.

Senator Lee has done so much to support our Leader, Donald Trump, against the lying and malicious liberal's.

Now his Loyalty seems to be shaky. This is Disappointing.

The Trump Train will carry our Nation to a great Conservative victory. Lee needs to get on board!

• mallow Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 12, 2019 10:15 p.m.

Thank you, Sen. Lee!

• Thomas Paine South Jordan, UT
    June 12, 2019 9:40 p.m.

I’m a strong supporter of Senator Romney, but this sale is bad news.
    Thank you, Senator Lee for doing the right thing in this case.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 12, 2019 6:51 p.m.

Have to agree with Mike Lee on this one. Never thought I'd see the day.

Lee apparently is aware of dire implications of Trump arming a nation that killed a journalist with a bone-cutting saw and the psychopathic Saudi minds who orchestrated that.

Good to see Mike Lee wanting to be on the right side of history.