Utah Rep. Ben McAdams: Why I fought to stop a congressional pay raise

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    June 13, 2019 2:12 p.m.

Ben,
    I’m glad you recognize you don’t deserve a raise, but your reasoning is off. You don’t deserve it for voting against the 1st amendment and religious liberty.

And no, it’s not only in Washington where there is no connection with performance and compensation; it happens too much in corporate America, too.

NoNames ,
    They don’t rely on their salaries to get rich, they have plenty of other means available to them.

FT
    The GOP gave us a boost to the economy far beyond anything BO could even dream of, even while the Fed was raising interest rates and reducing quantitative easing. Real wages actually started growing, something that didn’t happen during the dismal BO period. Billions of dollars held off-shore were re-patriated by what you call an unneeded tax cut. Even your hero BO had talked about reducing corporate tax rates to improve our competitive standing, but his party would not go along.

Old man
    Ben is not honest – he said the anti-religion legislation needed the anti-religion portions removed, but he voted for it even though it was not fixed.

Shaun
    Good comment. Too bad dems made the health care situation worse.

• RedShirtMIT Cambridge, MA
    June 13, 2019 12:05 p.m.

To "DN Subscriber" a better option would be to require Congress to pass a budget by December 1st and for the President to sign it by December 31 of any given year. You will also have to include a clause that states no additional spending bills are allowed, except for natural disaster aid or to support a declaration of war. Then to prevent delays, you put simply state that if a budget isn't passed then all of the members of Congress cannot hold any elected office, act as a consultant in any form, be paid for public speaking, or work as a lobbyist for the rest of their lives. If you want to get extra nasty, you can also impose a tax on their wealth (not income) to the tune of 10% for the rest of their lives.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    June 13, 2019 11:10 a.m.

I don’t know how you cut a trillion dollars from the budget without crashing the economy or hurting a lot of people. My suggestion is it will have to be a mixture of cuts, tax increases and changing how we fund social security and Medicare. Healthcare reform is a must. (not talking about single payer)

• Mike Richards South Jordan, UT
    June 13, 2019 9:27 a.m.

I have egg on my face. The other day, I read an article in the Utah section about Ben McAdams. Somehow, I completely misread that article. I still don't see how I did that. So, I wrote a VERY negative comment about Mr. McAdams. When I saw this letter, my first thought was that Mr. McAdams had flipped his position.

Then, I read and re-read that Utah article. It clearly shows that Mr. McAdams is against that pay raise. I apologize to Mr. McAdams and to anyone else who was offended by my other comment.

By rejecting that pay raise, Mr. McAdams clearly shows that he is in touch with Utah and with the people of Utah in this matter. May he have the courage to always represent Utah's people in every matter before the House.

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 13, 2019 7:15 a.m.

To add to the list, Congress and all public “servants” should have the same benefits and healthcare as the rest of us. Plus pretty much everyone else has been writing. They all become very wealthy, on our dime.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 12, 2019 9:17 p.m.

Good job, Ben.

Now, take it one step further.
    Get a bill passed where Congress gets ZERO pay for any fiscal year in which they have not completed all 14 budget and appropriations bills by the September 30th deadline. And, if that deadline is met (it has not been in more than a decade) then they should only get half their pay for any fiscal year in which there is a deficit.

Stop the wasteful spending and runaway entitlement programs!

• Sharkey Layton, UT
    June 12, 2019 6:31 p.m.

On the one hand, I feel that Congress has done and continues to do a miserable job of governing. If only each state would fire their own representative instead of complaining about the reps of other states, we might get somewhere.

On the other hand, I am aware that a secure job with secure retirement is essential for all public servants - congressmen, law enforcement, teachers, doctors, etc. If that is not the case, be prepared for increasing corruption.

I agree with the poster that asked for a repeal of the congressional exception on insider trading and post-position lobbying, though. That's where the problems originate.

• one old man MSC, UT
    June 12, 2019 6:23 p.m.

I sure wish McAdams was MY representative. But he's not and that's why I'll be working as hard as I can to make sure Rob Bishop lives up to his promise not to return to Congress after his current term.

NoNames, I agree with you on your comment -- but especially with your suggestions below. Good thinking!

And FT -- could Ben be contradicting trump simply because Ben is HONEST? And your other comment tells me you appear to be as frustrated and concerned as ANY intelligent citizen should be. It makes me sick to think that trump has been able to sucker so many of our neighbors into supporting his madness.

• SoonerCougar Herriman, UT
    June 12, 2019 4:59 p.m.

Members of Congress should receive the national median household salary of the Citizens of the County. Their salary should be tied to that average. Then if they want a raise they would have to work hard to raise everyone's salary in the County and not just the lobbyist or large corporations backing them.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    June 12, 2019 4:44 p.m.

With the GOP fully incharge for two years they increased the deficit by 50% thru increased spending of 14% and an unneeded tax cut for those making more than several hundred thousand dollars. Hope Americans are enjoying the sugar high Trump and the GOP gave us because we're just seeing the first signs of the forthcoming crash. Remember the middle tax portion of the tax cut is due to expire in just a few years. PT Barnum was correct.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    June 12, 2019 4:19 p.m.

The fact is, with rare exception, most congressmen could make a lot more money in the private sector than they draw from their congressional salaries. And when one realizes that from that salary congressmen are expected to maintain two residences--one in their home State and one in the DC area, one of the most expensive areas in the nation--they are not paid nearly enough. At least not if they are not already independently wealthy and are not drawing income from some other sources.

If we want to require congressmen to be weathy enough to serve without compensation, let's change the laws to reflect that.

If we want congressmen who still need to earn a living then let's do the following:

1-Provide housing in the DC area. A modest condo in the area should do.

2-Eliminate all congressional exemptions to laws including insider trading laws.

3-A pay raise comensorate with the work we expect them to do.

4-A lifetime bar on congressmen and members of their staff ever lobbying.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    June 12, 2019 4:18 p.m.

After giving us all great health care day one, having Mexico pay for border wall, the President told us he'd balance the budget. It would be easy he promised us. Why is the congressman telling us something that contradicts the President?

• Palmetto Bug Columbia, SC
    June 12, 2019 3:53 p.m.

I consider the national debt and budget deficit two of the biggest issues in our country and will support politicians in favor of a balanced budget amendment. I'm sure I disagree with some of Rep McAdam's other positions but if he's willing to fight for a balanced budget he has my support.

The fact that our deficit and debt are increasing when the economy is strong and unemployment is low should make everyone terrified about the next recession.