Alex Morgan has 5 goals as U.S. routs Thailand 13-0

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 12, 2019 10:26 p.m.

timid sparrow

“But when I read an article about running up the score, I definitely think about BYU”

Says a fan of a program that “practices” onside kicks while up 50 points

• Striker Omaha, NE
    June 12, 2019 4:28 p.m.

Sad Rob,

"But when I read an article about running up the score, I definitely think about BYU-P."

Yeah, games like this remind of how weak that team in red in men's basketball is too, so weak BYU had no choice but to win by double digits two years in a row. They sure are great memories aren't they?

Now, for decades to come when Women's World Cup records are mentioned, I'll always remember those fond 80k two dominant losses to a team far superior. Ah, the good old days these will one day be... *tears*

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 12, 2019 1:52 p.m.

@mr. Boris

"When I read an article about soccer I don't think about the Utes..."

Likewise, when I read an article about soccer I don't think about BYU-P.

• Husker2 , 00
    June 12, 2019 12:55 p.m.

@Brave Sir Robin "Obviously a little education on international soccer is needed.

At that level, a team is only allowed 3 subs per game, total. And once you leave, you can't reenter. So I don't know why you think the U.S. "substituted quite a bit" - I assure you, they only used their 3 allotted. And, because of the limited subs, 8 of your 11 starters are going to play the entire game, so your point about injuries is moot."

I played soccer in high school and 2 years in West Germany with a club team, so I'm familiar with the game. The US used their maximum number of substitutions, so I would call that "quite a bit". My point about injuries was aimed mainly at Alex Morgan. She's playing in her 3rd WC and is the best scoring threat on the US team. Did they really need to leave her in?? I don't think so, but maybe you know coaching strategies I don't.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 12, 2019 11:45 a.m.

@Husker2

"1) The U.S. substituted quite a bit but they did leave some of their best players in the whole game, which was obviously unnecessary. Thankfully, none of them got injured."

Obviously a little education on international soccer is needed.

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    June 12, 2019 11:18 a.m.

You can score goals, you just don't need to celebrate like a fool. And substitutions are limited in soccer so the US didn't substitute that much because it's not allowed.

And the way Ute fans find a way to include a comment about BYU in every article is as embarrassing as the soccer. Just more proof how the Utes might be in the PAC 12 but they will always be the little brother in this state.

When I read an article about soccer I don't think about the Utes because my indifference towards the Utes is so great that the Utes never even cross my mind. Unlike many Ute fans who are so obsessed with BYU that they literally can't go a day without talking about BYU. Now that's embarrassing.

• reriding Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2019 10:08 a.m.

There is honor in scoring a goal at the World Cup, and cause for celebration.

• Husker2 , 00
    June 12, 2019 9:36 a.m.

A couple things I noticed about the game:

2) The goal celebrations once the game was obviously out of hand were ridiculous. An average high school boys soccer team would beat Thailand and a good high school boys soccer team would beat the U.S. There is no honor in humiliating a clearly inferior opponent.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    June 12, 2019 8:55 a.m.

Sad Rob, this is soccer article. Leave your addiction to BYU elsewhere. Good grief!

I changed my mind. I listened to the players and they said they've dreamed of playing and scoring in the World Cup and you get few chances to. When you do it really means a lot.

They also felt it would show disrespect to play keep away from their opponent and appear soft, so they just attacked. This is the best of the best so play your best.

I no longer feel bad about such a high score.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 12, 2019 8:38 a.m.

@Mr. Boris

"And there are ways to slow down the scoring when you are up by that much as well."

Ways like, say, putting your starting quarterback back in the game so he can break an NCAA record with his team up 35 points in the 4th quarter?

It's ironic to see BYU-P fans calling out others for running up the score.

• reriding Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2019 2:46 a.m.

The ranking of teams in the group stage for this World Cup is determined by points obtained in all group matches (three for a win, one for a draw, zero for a loss), then (if there is a tie) goal difference (the difference between goals for and goals against) in the group stage, then by total goals in the group stage. There are several more layers if the teams are still tied, down to drawing lots if there is still a tie after all other rules have been applied.

You can easily see that it is a disadvantage to a team not to accumulate the most goals they can. The US now has a goal difference of +13 and total points of 13 after their first match of the group stage. Sweden, the current second place team in the group, has a goal difference of +2. At the moment both teams have 3 points, but the goal difference puts US currently at first.

The first and second place teams in each group along with the top 4 third place teams advance to the knockout stage.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    June 11, 2019 9:08 p.m.

First I'll say that Thailand team was just awful. I could count on one hand the tactful times they passed the ball to each other to the other side to get in scoring range. Other than that they just kicked it wherever. I can't see them scoring at all this World Cup.

I totally disagree with the mercy rule. You prepared four years for this and beat many other nations to get here. You don't need anyone to show you mercy.

Which leads me to the sportsmanship issue. The commentators after the game all agreed (except one) you are there to showcase to the world who you are and why you're the team to beat. Keep the pressure on. No need to show mercy. I do agree though that when up ten give high fives and not run to the team to celebrate. That was classless and really rubbing it in. I hated seeing that.

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    June 11, 2019 6:57 p.m.

I'm a big soccer fan but that was pathetic sportsmanship.

You don't do those ridiculous soccer celebrations when you are up by 10 goals. And there are ways to slow down the scoring when you are up by that much as well.

The USA was embarrassed by the national team today.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    June 11, 2019 6:52 p.m.

This is why a 32-team tournament on the women’s side is ludicrous. At the very least, a “mercy” rule is needed.

• Cynthia Powell Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 6:41 p.m.

Good Job US Women's Soccer team!! They will be just as fantastic against Sweden..and any other team! BRING IT!!

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    June 11, 2019 6:06 p.m.

Impressive start, let's see how well they do against a much better Swedish side.