LGBT Pride flags spark controversy, support in Utah city

• zipadeedoodah Lehi, UT
    June 19, 2019 7:54 a.m.

Park City would be expected...but Heber? Oh my. Their pioneer founders must be rolling over in their graves.

• zipadeedoodah Lehi, UT
    June 18, 2019 11:17 p.m.

Of course, it would be Park City to do this... our most liberal city. Not a good representation of the majority of Utahns.

I say let LGBT do as they will but don't shove it in our faces and expect everyone else to jump on your bandwagon.

• KarinB Francis, UT
    June 17, 2019 9:01 p.m.

Very few people choose to be gay. Most gay people love their families, their parents, their brothers and sisters and their friends very very much and just want to be loved, they do not want to hurt the people that love them. God made people gay, no one would choose to be that way and to be viewed as bad and sick and to be cast out by those they love. It is not a choice for most gay people and God has been making people this way for a very long time. Maybe only God knows why.

So...it's not for people to judge. It's for us to try to emulate Jesus and to be kind, compassionate, loving and accepting of people who are kind and loving, even if they are different than yourself. Let God be the judge. I choose to support people who are good and kind, to live and let live and to believe THAT is what Jesus tried to tell us many years ago. Judge lest not thee be judged. Be kind. Love. Be gentle with others.

• itsjustmyview Draper, UT
    June 15, 2019 12:49 p.m.

Agree with most of the comments here... it's time to elect a new mayor.

• worf McAllen, TX
    June 14, 2019 10:43 a.m.

Moral values are becoming extinct in America.

Wrong doing is becoming acceptable if it's appealing.

Sad! But our country will not look the same in twenty years.

• swartzy1 Weatherford, TX
    June 14, 2019 8:09 a.m.

My LDS brother is gay but wouldn't step foot in any parade . He has a partner and they are married. They live in a nice neighborhood, and are great friends with all their neighbors. An LDS family next door are some of their really good friends. He hates that people are expected to accept all deviations of being gay as he he wonders how they can be accepted. I took my wife to San Francisco for vacation. We got there to find out it was Gay Pride Weekend, We took the Trolley down town and saw some of the parade. In any other city many of the people would have been arrested for publicly open sex, some of the actions by people in the parade, (too rough to post here), and children right in the middle of it all, it was more than just ADULTS ONLY. I changed my opinion about supporting anything I saw. It wasn't just LGBTBQ.... it was demented and deeming but it was cheered. Gay is one thing but what I saw was more and extremely offensive. In almost any other city it would be totally illegal and should be . But a gay parade with out the sexual demos, is super fine with me, let them march. if I said what I saw it wouldn't be allowed here.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    June 14, 2019 6:34 a.m.

The issue at it’s core, and the liberals in this country left created it, is that we aren’t allowed to be offended.... by anything. If it’s offensive to one, it should be offensive to all and needs to be condemned. See how the unintended consequences of creating a victim society works both ways to promote a lack of acceptance and understanding. Sad!

• RockOn1224 Spanish Fork, UT
    June 13, 2019 10:18 p.m.

Scientific evidence that "gay" is genetic.
    Fact: Several studies of identical twins shows very few gay twins have a gay twin. If gay was genetic, and identical twins have identical genes, tough to make a case one is "born" this way.

Nope. It's not genetic. Nothing to fly a flag for. But much understanding and kindness is always in order by EVERYONE including people gay people say disagree with them. Sadly, the gay discussion is now one way -- not only accept a person's gay life, but celebrate it and embrass it. One way street. No tolerance.

• modad Salt Lake, Utah
    June 12, 2019 2:57 p.m.

@ broken arrow....Yes, President Nelson did visit the nightclub and express love and understanding, but I didn't see him wearing a rainbow hat or shirt. I don't have harsh judgement for anyone and I don't think flying a rainbow flag is necessary. Besides, as Macfarren said, what does it symbolize. To many, the rainbow flag symbolizes "it's my way or the highway and you are going to be tolerant of me or else." We should be tolerant of everyone and I don't need a rainbow flag to force me or remind me.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    June 12, 2019 2:27 p.m.

@counter intelligence
    “I don't want shrill people speaking for me and i don't want science silenced or co-opted by zealots.
    The science speaks for itself. I suggest starting with the "Advances in Genetics, Volume 86" chapter 8 specially details the research on the genetic underpinnings for orientation. Their is a Stanford paper addressing the genetic underpinnings of sexual orientation but it does also notes that environment can influence its expression. I have no interest in dismissing your personal experiences as feeling genuinely true for you and this is clearly an emotional issue for you but from an objective scientific and legal basis your arguments about others orientation does not seem to hold true. as to your comment about shrillness I would hardly call hanging a banner shrill.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2019 11:12 a.m.

@Tolstoy -
    Yes; We are both free to have our own opinion; which includes my right to question your facts.

No; science has not determined that orientation is biological - although gay activists engage in a lot of wild desperate speculation, using bullying to compensate for lack of fact. Courts are irrelevant to the discussion of scientific truth (and are routinely wrong)

Again; some recent studies have indicted a stronger link between abuse and orientation than biology (which is actually more consistent with my personal and anecdotal experience)

i am homosexual. i did not choose. But the more I live, the more i realize that my "orientation" involved a lot of early inaccurate assumptions.

I don't buy the illiberal activist dogma and i don't want shrill people speaking for me and i don't want science silenced or co-opted by zealots. And yes: I am entitled to that opinion.

BTW: Political flags are not always related to political parties. A Black History Month flag may not be political, but a Black Lives Matter flag definitely is. The rainbow flag is political because activists have made it so - it is tied to support of a particular dogma more than to an event

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    June 12, 2019 10:27 a.m.

@counter inelegance
    both the scientific community and the courts (several times) have determined that sexual orientation is an immutable trait. We are free to have your own opioion but you are not free to make up your own facts.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2019 9:32 a.m.

@Furry1993 -
    You mock @Macfarren -for responding to @shamrock

"There is no definitive scientific consensus that 'gayness' is an 'inherited trait,' and just because it is stated repeatedly by cultural influencers, does not make it true."

Then you proceed to provide absolutely no facts, just your feelings - ironically proving Macfarren's indictment of Social justice bullying to be absolutely true.

The fact is: while there is some evidence of biological markers - it is not clear whether they are cause or effect and they're inconsistent. There is actually a stronger link between abuse and orientation than biology and orientation. But we cant talk facts can we - your feelings (not anyone else's) are whats important.

• Furry1993 MSC, UT
    June 12, 2019 9:00 a.m.

@Macfarren - June 12, 2019 12:28 a.m.
    @shamrock

Words are landmines. Watch your step.
    ------------

You really believe that? Okay -- identify for us the specific date and time you CHOSE whatever sexual orientation you may have. Not what you decided to do what that inherent sexual orientation you may have -- the day/time when you decided deliberately what it would be.

If you are honorable and honest, and your body "works" the way the rest of ours do, you never made that deliberate choice. You have always had an inherent and innate attraction, generally to one or other of the sexes-- something that you never chose to happen. It's just always been there, discovered as you got older in life.

At least that's how it worked for me. I've always been a totally straight woman (I'm 70 years old now) and I NEVER chose my orientation -- I had it before I even knew what it meant.

Orientation isn't chosen -- it just is. Same as hair color, skin color, etc. Just part of the way Heavenly Father made us.

• 1st avenue New York, NY
    June 12, 2019 7:18 a.m.

@worf

I prefer to live in a country where individual and minority rights and dignity are still respected.

its that simple.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    June 12, 2019 12:28 a.m.

@shamrock

Words are landmines. Watch your step.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    June 12, 2019 12:21 a.m.

@mountainlocal

One can support people, without supporting their messages. But that is not what the rainbow flag truly symbolizes, does it? The loudest voices of the LGBT+ crowd and their supports keep moving the goal posts. First it was simply to be tolerated. Then it was civil unions. Then same-sex marriage. Then protected class status. Then having sex-change operations paid by taxpayers. BSA being forced by fiat to accept homosexual adult leaders. Elementary teachers sharing their transgender transitions with students not old enough to even spell puberty.

Today those who believe or dare to speak their opinion or religious beliefs against the idea (not the people) of homosexual relations or homosexual marriage are regularly threatened with ramifications of penalty and silencing by both private industry and government.

Does the rainbow flag truly mean love and inclusivity for all? Yes, only if you support the LGBT+ movement. But if not, then beware of the mounting policing by the 2%.

• worf McAllen, TX
    June 11, 2019 11:53 p.m.

A flag represents acceptance and pride of the majority.

If the majority of people finds something offensive and distasteful, than the flag should not be flown.

It's just that simple.

• Broken Arrow Draper, UT
    June 11, 2019 10:00 p.m.

For those who are so bent out of shape about this, please look to the example of President Nelson. His recent meeting with the owner of the Pulse nightclub in Orlando speaks volumes. He went out of his way to show love, understanding, and acceptance. Maybe his example should be our guideline rather than reacting with harsh judgments.

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 7:16 p.m.

@Orson of Woods Cross:

It's always difficult to have an oppositional child, but your daughter's behavior is not unique to gay or trans kids. It might help to look at it this way: If your daughter were straight and defiant, would you attribute her conduct to a "straight agenda," or believe that her problems were caused by her heterosexuality?

• mountainlocal Brooklyn, NY
    June 11, 2019 6:09 p.m.

Macfarren:

So would a supporter of the 1st amendment mean that the supporter must find that each particular religion is normal, mainstream or acceptable?

What it means it that the government cannot make it illegal and there are certain protections under the laws from citizen attack. If you are not safe in your community, not much else matters. Right?

Did you read the article? The woman that paid for the flags just seemed like a mom trying to help her daughter feel safe and wanted in the world. Isn't that what moms do?

• KSC Sandy, UT
    June 11, 2019 5:43 p.m.

Here is the issue: Despite the representation of the rainbow being all-inclusive, the LGBTQ agenda is anything but. Their actions speak louder than their words. The LGBTQ truth is that it is inclusivity is limited to those who support or agree with them.

If you have an alternate viewpoint, then you must be destroyed. Ask the many bakers, floweriest, photographers, restaurants, etc., etc., etc.
    How sad is the near demise of the Boy Scouts of America, which for more than 100 years taught boys to become leaders.

Individuals and private business are free to express their support of one cause or another, and suffer the consequences, or to remain neutral / supportive of all and reap the rewards. Because of the LGBTQ protests and legal attacks on people of religious integrity, I choose not to patronize any business with a LGBTQ rainbow banner. I quit reading the Tribune and have stopped watching Fox 13 news. Hey Fox13: It is not news when someone “comes out”, or has a gay hamster.

However, Heber, you are a community. When you choose to allow a vocal minority to offend a silent majority, you become a co-oppressor.

• bleedred13 Provo, UT
    June 11, 2019 5:23 p.m.

@Mr.Norris and everyone else claiming that LGBTQ+ people are “throwing their sexuality in everyone’s face” with their flags and Pride.

I’ll let Captain America (Chris Evans) and James Spell explain it to you:

“I’m straight. I like being straight. A big reason why I like being straight is that I’ve never once experienced bigotry for my sexuality. I didn’t have to fight for my right to marry the person of my choosing. I didn’t have to concern myself with being beaten or killed because others didn’t accept who I wanted to sleep with. I didn’t have to stay closeted out of fear, or worry about the reaction of my family, friends or colleagues by coming out. I never got called a slur for being straight. No one told me I’m going to burn in hell for being straight. There aren’t any programs where I could be sent to be tortured into being straight. There aren’t any countries I can be put to death simply for being straight.
    There’s nothing I ever had to fight for, or struggle against, because I’m straight. And therefore, there’s isn’t any reason to take pride in it. Grateful for the privileges I get? Sure. But Pride? I don’t see it.”

• Fly Fisherman Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 5:04 p.m.

@Misty Mountain
    Absolutely false. Chick-fil-a ... attempt(ed) to deny gays the right to marry.
    _________
    So what? 70% of black voters voted Yes on Prop 8! Do you support a public ban on black people? Of course not. But Chick-fil-A does deserve a ban? Sorry, but your logic fails here.

In a free society, others' opinion will differ from yours. And others' opinions might be despicable to you, and what groups or agendas they support might offend you. This exists in a free society, and attempts to ban groups because of what they support isn't a free society. Totalitarians do that.

Maybe, just maybe, some people who aren't fully 100% behind the LGBT agenda do so because they saw the militant agenda that would be created from the LGBT agenda. They saw that Leftist school teachers would harm children by confusing them on gender, and that they would allow boys to use girls lockers and restrooms. They saw that business owners that didn't support the LGBT agenda would be sued, etc. Many people might otherwise be more supportive of LGBT if this extreme agenda didn't exist.

• Joe Hilll Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 4:54 p.m.

How exactly have these flags harmed anyone?

• DudeDude Chicago, IL
    June 11, 2019 4:52 p.m.

Add an 'S' at the end of LGBTQ, etc. and you will get my support, otherwise the celebration is too exclusive. Let's celebrate human pride.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    June 11, 2019 4:50 p.m.

@mountainlocal

Yes, Mormons have been persecuted, as well as members of all types of religious groups through history. But I don't recall kindergarten teachers telling their students that they were changing their religion and reading books to them about it in class, and telling them it was okay for them to change their religion too.

And even if they did, that is still a far cry from telling them that boys can be girls and girls can be boys.

This was never about tolerance. This was always about using every means possible to convince the 98% (and their children) that the lifestyles of the 2% should be considered normal, mainstream, and religiously acceptable.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    June 11, 2019 4:46 p.m.

@Fly Fisherman, most trans kids express their perception of their own gender before they even start kindergarten. I'm not talking about a bio boy who wants to play with dolls, but with a bio boy who actively insists that he IS a girl. And he doesn't flip back and forth after a day or a week of making this statement.

But I think you have a point about athletics. A trans woman who went through puberty as a male is going to have an unfair advantage over biological women. And I'm not sure what a resolution of this issue would be other than having separate teams for trans athletes.

@Orson, I can understand your shock and unhappiness in that your child did not turn out as you expected. It is not easy to accept a child who seems to be deliberately trying to hurt you--but please try to understand that the kid is coping the best way they can, even though the behavior seems crazy and self-destructive. For what it's worth, I never met a trans adult who was sorry that they changed their gender--only sorry that they waited so long.

• Misty Mountain Kent, WA
    June 11, 2019 4:24 p.m.

@Oatmeal asks,
    "What is the animosity of the Left towards organized religion and traditional moral values rooted in?"

Since many of us Lefties are members of organized religion, I'm wondering where you get your information from. The animosity is not toward organized religion or traditional values per se. The problem is that some of the people who belong to religions have decided that they have the truth and have no problem using the political process to force other people to adhere to their particular religion's version of truth.

@Fly Fisherman writes,

"There have been several attempts to ban Chick-fil-A in a few locations. All because the owners choose to exercise their First Amendment rights and believe in traditional marriage."
    Absolutely false. Gay people are ardent supporters of traditional marriage--for straight people.
    But Chick-fil-a's company funded Winshape Foundation, did far more than "believing in traditional marriage". They made grants to groups such as Alliance Defending Freedom, which supports re-criminalizing homosexuality and were actively engaged in attempts to deny gays the right to marry.

• BYUIOWA MARION, IA
    June 11, 2019 3:34 p.m.

If these flags help prevent even one person from feeling totally alone and rejected its worth it.

• mountainlocal Brooklyn, NY
    June 11, 2019 3:11 p.m.

How many people do you know that have been physically or verbally assaulted for being straight? How many people do you that have been targeted by the law for being straight? Personally, I know none.

Now read about reports of attack on a London bus, or in this article, about gay teens being physically or verbally attacked and fleeing town. Then times that by dozens that aren't reported.

So a question becomes, do you really believe in the America that stands for freedom and justice for all? Should law abiding people be allowed to live in a society without fear of retribution?

Remember the LDS church's own history is one of being persecuted, targeted, physically attacked, eventually leading to the killing of the prophet. That is why the saints fled West. Now that it is the dominant culture, it is easy to forget lessons of being the minority. Do we want to inflict the same wounds and damage?

Read about the Stonewall Riots, Harvey Milk, etc, and it's fairly clear that even in this country, simply being gay made one a target. So as Brigham Young said, "He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool.”

• wer South Jordan, UT
    June 11, 2019 3:08 p.m.

The decision was applauded by the ACLU. This is the group that has and will oppose any effort to show support for religion and will support virtually any other group.

• Ms.W South Jordan, UT
    June 11, 2019 3:05 p.m.

T-money -" Is there any logical reason why pride should be viewed differently?"

Yes. Unlike those who support Christmas, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Breast Cancer Awareness etc...... "pride" advocates have been shown to publicly subject their opponents to harassment, intimidation, vandalism, racial scapegoating, black listing, loss of employment, angry protests, violence and gross expressions of anti-religious bigotry. Prop 8 was just one prime example of that.

The "gay" rainbow flag may be a symbol of "tolerance" and "acceptance" for some, but for others it is a representation of hate and homofascism. And understandably so.

• Count Rushmore Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 2:41 p.m.

Proof of the contentious nature of this issue, and of the leftist activism opposed to the inspired principles of our founding documents, can be found in the comments that have been censored.

Q.E.D.

• Fly Fisherman Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 2:39 p.m.

Bakers, photographers, etc. are being punished because they choose to exercise their First Amendment rights. To many, this is a major distortion of the meaning of "discrimination", and is now a serious threat to freedom of speech and expression.

Now, there appears an agenda to introduce children in elementary schools the idea that they can choose their gender. Will boys be able to identify as girls and be allowed to use girls locker rooms and restrooms? It appears so, if this agenda advances more. Already, biological males who identify as women are unjustly competing in women's sports, distorting the biological women's right for fair competition.

There are plenty more examples of politically-charged issues with this subject.

Please don't tell me that there isn't a real, controversial issue with the current LGBT agenda. Saying it is all about "love" and "acceptance" is flatly false.

The Rainbow flag represents this highly controversial agenda. Don't be surprised that some people resist it.

• Orson Woods Cross, UT
    June 11, 2019 2:29 p.m.

Laura,
    My daughter rebelled at 13, had secret heterosexual relations, began to drink and smoke and swear and lie and steal and cheat and did drugs in her teens, lying about all of it. I heard from principals, police, and parents. She never spoke a word of truth. When she asked to live with an aunt, I let her go; then she lied and told everyone I had thrown her out because she was gay. Then she got a girlfriend who ruined her life. Now my daughter thinks she is a guy and thinks taking hormone shots changes nature.

Nothing bad about any of it, to use your sarcasm. Just trying to normalize such behavior confuses children and the unwary/ignorant, whether you have (fixed) cats or not.

LGBT activists in Utah (and elsewhere) that were born LDS often agitate for the LDS church to change its doctrines; they want sin called sweet; they want homosexual marriage in the temples and in heaven; they want priesthood and prominence; the list goes on and on.

No one can tell me there is no gay agenda in Utah or pressuring the Church. Activists push it all the time in the media, social media, and elsewhere.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    June 11, 2019 2:20 p.m.

When all of this first started, there was a single parade on a single day called, 'Gay Pride Parade.' Later, the word 'Gay' was eliminated to be more palatable to all people in general, calling it the 'Pride Parade.' Sometime thereafter it was turned into an entire 'Pride Month' and we now have rainbow flags flying from embassy windows and lining quiet little Utah streets.

It's just like Beto said this week. Simple 'tolerance' is no longer acceptable, and society needs to 'embrace' these values as a whole.

Tolerance was never the goal. It was always about 2% dictating what 98% should believe.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    June 11, 2019 2:12 p.m.

So Heber has a "city policy that lets residents apply to hang personalized banners on city lamp posts." Well, if Heber is dumb enough to open the door for activists, they'll have to live with it for now. Banners on city lamp posts do imply city endorsement of the message. But I would suggest shutting the door, turning your city lamp posts into a means of protest or of advertising for alternative lifestyles or political views is a bit silly.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    June 11, 2019 2:05 p.m.

T-money$$$,

"Give it some thought, and you will see that the animosity towards the "LGBT agenda" is rooted in bigotry rather than politics or first amendment issues."

• Pasta Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 2:01 p.m.

When it comes to religion society tells us to keep it to yourself but why is it that when it comes to sexual preference these people feel the need to inundate society with their lifestyle choice? Keep it to ourself please.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    June 11, 2019 1:43 p.m.

@ReadMineFirst, I absolutely understand where you are coming from. My daughter and her wife have chosen *that* lifestyle. They live in northern California in a 90 year old house with solar panels on the roof. Although they both have graduate degrees, they have chosen to work in the comparatively lower paying jobs of elementary school teacher and director of a small nonprofit. They have a Little Free Library on the front lawn and a 100 year old peach tree in the back. They keep of their property and volunteer at the local animal shelter--the place from which they adopted their two (fixed) cats. They carry their own bags with them when they shop at the local farmers' market and they support political candidates who prioritize human services over tax cuts.

It's hard to imagine that anyone would favor such a "lifetyle". And I can certainly see why you cannot accept or condone it.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    June 11, 2019 1:32 p.m.

The gay agenda has long been loudly proclaimed: To achieve total cultural superiority and to destroy Christianity in particular.

Now, not all, nor likely even many, LGBT people feel that way, but the ones pushing these kinds of things do.

In ancient days, when you conquered a place you tore down their flag and put up yours. That's what this is: an attempt to fly the rainbow flag as "superior" and "we rule, you do not. We've won!" The Rainbow flag is a flag of oppression, cruelty, and hatred towards those who do not "tolerate" LGBT actions, by which tolerate means "Totally accept and participate in."

Bob Hope is on record as saying "They've legalized gay marriage in California. I'm leaving before it becomes mandatory." And that is the goal: to make it mandatory, eventually. We already see the rights being stripped from Christians all over the place: the loss of freedoms of speech, of assembly, and Biden is now pushing a bill to force churches to change their beliefs and practices.

If we are going to fly a flag, let's fly either the American Flag or the Title of Liberty, which of course would be completely opposed to the rainbow flag.

• T-money$$$ Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 1:30 p.m.

City banners and public signs have always been displays of seasonal celebrations. I have seen banners from Peach Days to Breast Cancer Awareness Month to Days of 47 along with other seasonal displays for things like Memorial Day, Christmas, and Thanksgiving in various Utah towns along the Wasatch Front - many of which are paid for with tax dollars.

Is there any logical reason why Pride should be viewed any differently?

• ReadMineFirst Ft. Collins, CO
    June 11, 2019 1:02 p.m.

@Lou Montana:

Thanks for asking why I don't like the "rainbow flag". Just my own personal feelings here...to me it represents inequality, pride and even contention. It's saying, I'm different, I'm better, you have to accept me and my lifestyle. I don't accept or condone the agenda and lifestyle of the LGBTQ community. If pro-choice folks created a pro-choice flag, I wouldn't like that either. Call me simple minded but it just goes back to basic right and wrong for me.

• Husker2 , 00
    June 11, 2019 12:59 p.m.

The LGBTQ+ community wants to be supported and viewed as normal. I wonder if they give the same courtesy to people with other beliefs and sexual orientations. For example, do they support the freedom to practice polygamy?

• Laura Billington Maple Valley, WA
    June 11, 2019 12:56 p.m.

@Orson wrote,

".. a publicity stunt promoting the gay agenda."

@Meckofahess wrote,

"The sooner the LGBTQ community mellows out and stops putting their agenda in our faces the sooner people will be more accepting and less judgmental."

@Jacobiuntherus wrote,
    "In fact, all this LGBTQ agenda promotion just harms the LGBTQ cause"

@gatsby wrote,

"That flag..represents an agenda that I do not support"

@NoNamesAccepted wrote,

"...before some truly nasty, offensive groups promote their agenda just as the sexual minorities have been allowed to do.."

You five all know something I don't. Apparently some gay people gathered together and voted to push some nefarious agenda that @ gatsby doesn't support and that is in @Meck's face. But what does it consist of? The only "agenda" I've ever heard of says that gays should have the exact same rights that straight people do. Please, guys, tell me where can I get a copy of this agenda.

• Autumn Meadow South Jordan, UT
    June 11, 2019 12:54 p.m.

My city displays Christmas decorations - including a Nativity at the city building - every December. There are many residents of my city who are not Christians, but I don't see them protesting these decorations the way that many here are protesting pride flags. Rather, they graciously allow us to celebrate a holiday that is important to many of us. Some of my non-Christian neighbors from other countries even make an effort to learn about Christmas and join in the festivities.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this happened every year for Pride month? Those of us who are straight could make an effort to get to know our LGBTQ+ neighbors and try to understand what they are celebrating. There is a lot of interesting and important history behind the flying of the rainbow flag. What if we chose to listen and learn instead of retaliating with fear and anger?

The younger generations are already getting there, and that makes me happy and hopeful about the future of our communities.

• CH Cougar PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    June 11, 2019 12:45 p.m.

@shamrock:
    "Also, if you really think a person's gay identity (an inherent trait) is the same as identifying as a Nazi (an evil choice), maybe you haven't quite thought this issue through with the nuance it deserves."
    I think the issue for many, including me, is that this issue is divisive and has a high degree of emotion (positive and negative) for people with differing views. Your simple statement that gay identity is an inherent trait is not shared by many (including me). My church states we are born male and female--not gay and straight. An honest look at individuals who choose a gay lifestyle show that many are confused and unsure whether they are truly "gay"--this is not consistent with it being "an inherent trait"....regardless of the predominant propaganda being pushed in our society.
    The most important issue is that we treat each other with respect and equality regardless of our views. This should not be a one-way street.

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    June 11, 2019 12:19 p.m.

The LGBT community wants acceptance but then they constantly separate themselves from everyone else. They are the ones that make it an issue when a majority of people don't care one way or the other.

I'm straight but I don't need to feel pride or have a parade or hang up flags to announce it.

I don't care who is gay and who is straight and I'll treat everyone the same regardless.

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 11:58 a.m.

Would some of you be alarmed if Heber City displayed flags commenorating Pioneer Day or Black History month or Cinco de Mayo, especially if no public funds were used to pay for the flags? If not, why not?

The Supreme Court has made it clear that LGBTQ citizens are equal, just as minority citizens are equal. The fact that some of you still think gays should hide their identity ("don't push it in our face") or not express any "pride" in it indicates our soceity has a ways to go in reaching real equality.

• bleedred13 Provo, UT
    June 11, 2019 11:57 a.m.

The "gay agenda" is being referenced frequently in this comment section. It appears few people know of its origins.

What is the gay agenda?

This term was introduced by sectors of the Christian religious right as a disparaging way to describe the advocacy of cultural acceptance and normalization of non-heterosexual orientations.
    "The gay agenda" was popularized by a video series produced by the evangelical religious group, Springs of Life Ministries, and distributed by many Christian Right organizations, the first video of which was called the Gay Agenda and was released in 1992.

I never hear this referenced in the gay community. In fact, many LGBTQ+ individuals are living out very normal lives; working, participating in their communities, raising families, etc. They all share different political and religious opinions. Some are active in organizations fighting for equal rights, others do not participate at all.

There's nothing wrong with hanging a flag and raising awareness. It's an opportunity to have a conversation. If you see the flag flying, and disagree, then have a conversation with your family and discuss why you do or do not agree.

• ItsTricky Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 11:50 a.m.

So the 10 Commandments have been removed from many city and state buildings around the country but it’s somehow ok the fly pride flags on the city’s Main Street? How? A double standard in my opinion.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    June 11, 2019 11:49 a.m.

ReadMineFirst - Ft. Collins, CO
    June 11, 2019 10:10 a.m.
    @Lou Montana:

"I am."

Why?

I am not a fan of gayness but I respect their rights. How is it that they offend you?

• Flipphone , 00
    June 11, 2019 11:41 a.m.

If a city in going to allow or Promote any one flag, then that city must allow, promote all flags.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 11, 2019 11:35 a.m.

@traveler

"If you object to either of those two flags being flown on city flagpoles but not the rainbow flag then I admire your ability to doublethink."

Sure, go ahead...you're fine by me to put up any flag you want. Because unlike the conservative snowflakes, I don't get offended by inanimate pieces of fabric.

• UtahBruin Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 11, 2019 11:31 a.m.

This is the dumbest thing ever. This should have never been done. Again, the LGBT community gets angry when people say anything about them at all, yet they want to draw attention to themselves with this flag thing.

Belnap said that this was "personal", so then plant a flag, plant 100 flags in your yard. Apparently it is also not political. Yet, the ACLU attorney wants to talk about legal rights if the flags were to be removed. Again, it's not political, but Belnap wants them around the entire city, which she had to apply for approval through the city, which the Mayor had to get involved in. This is what makes these things lame and ridiculous. The flags are not coming down, let it ride for them month. But how about we don't do anything like this again. And maybe the mayor needs to change the policy, and just have a set standard of flags that get flown. And if anyone has a disagreement with the set flags. Head on over to the city council meeting and voice your complaint, and then a vote takes place by the council. Problem solved. But lets let this draw attention to me or a group and whining about personal things go. It's time to grow up and be adults about it.

• Pig Frizzle Tremonton, UT
    June 11, 2019 11:26 a.m.

The original meaning of the rainbow is of a promise God made to us, and pride is one of the things God warns us of and to avoid ... Now we have a rainbow pride flag trying to represent some peoples life choices ... hmmm, should make you think.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    June 11, 2019 11:24 a.m.

This is a slippery slope. Next thing you know, others, with an "agenda", like Pioneer Day, will want to fly their flags too.

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    June 11, 2019 11:14 a.m.

@Meckofahess
    "The sooner the LGBTQ community mellows out and stops putting their agenda in our faces the sooner people will be more accepting and less judgmental. "
    Utah only repealled it's (unconstitutional) sodomy law this year.

Just how mellow do gay folk need to be if it took 16 years after Lawrence v. Texas for that level of "acceptance" to be crossed?

@All American
    "Why must we continue to divide ourselves by our differences?"
    Because this article quotes a woman who's son was assaulted and threatened for those "differences".

@Jacobiuntherus
    "We are getting so tired of the constant bombardment of LGBTQ promotion [...]"
    Like the kid in the article was bombarded? Or less literally then that?

As to the rest of your "concern", nice-sounding conservatives have been saying the same thing since the Mattachine Society was organizing in the 50s. "We want to be understanding, but you're moving too fast!"

@Al Thepal
    "Why should anyone be "proud" of who they are sexually attracted to?"
    That's a strawman.

We're proud that the world tried to stamp us down and out, but that we're still dancing, We're proud of our resilience, our familiy, our love. We're proud that we won't hide.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    June 11, 2019 10:45 a.m.

Whatever one thinks of these flags, just remember that by creating and maintaining a public forumn, the city (government) must now treat all comers the same, and cannot discriminate based on viewpoint.

This means that a white pride or even white separatist, white nationalist, or white supremacy group must be given the same access as was given to the sexual minority community. Black Lives Matter and Sons of the Confederacy must be treated the same by the city.

It is one thing to have to let a highly offensive group--whether highly offensive to the left, to the right, or to both--march down city streets for a couple of hours for a parade. It is quite another to have to host their flags and message on city light poles for a full month.

Heber and every other city need to seriously rethink these policies before some truly nasty, offensive groups promote their agenda just as the sexual minorities have been allowed to do. Or even before someone, tired of being browbeaten by the sexual minorities, decides to make a point that would be hateful and divisive.

• jimjr Kaysville, UT
    June 11, 2019 10:42 a.m.

The LGBTQ community recently wanted to fly the “Pride” flag with the American flag at all US embassies during gay pride month. Obama had approved this a few years ago and the Trump administration just nixed it and I agree. There comes a point that people stretch their agendas too far. Why would one minority have preference over another for this matter? it gets annoying after a while.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    June 11, 2019 10:35 a.m.

So question: If another group paid for flags would Heber display them?

Here are some examples that I can think of

1) Star of David Flag
    10) U of U Flag
    11) BYU Flag
    12) Wasatch High School Flag
    13) Pro Choice Flag
    14) Pro Life Flag
    15) Etc., Etc,. Etc.

I am not a fan of the rainbow flags. Nor would I be a fan of many of the ones I listed. I say we stick to the USA flag as this is what this nation stands for. Something we all need to take Pride in.

• Traveller Farmington, UT
    June 11, 2019 10:31 a.m.

Since Heber City has made it clear they will accept any flags a private individual is willing to pay for, I look forward to flags depicting the Ten Commandments next month, and flags with swastikas the month after that.

• gatsby Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 10:28 a.m.

Personally, I'm saddened that the rainbow has been coopted by any particular community, and yesterday, I saw a truck with a flag in the back that was in the pattern of our national flag i.e. with a rectangle of stars in the upper left corner, but the red and white stripes had been changed to rainbow colors. it was offensive to me

That flag does not represent me or what I believe in and not only represents an agenda that I do not support in many cases, but seemed crass and mocking to me, of a symbol that should unite us, and for which many hundreds of thousands have given their lives for.

Naturally, those in the gay community, want to be equal with all other Americans, and should be treated fairly, and with decency and dignity. But it seems to me that this community also seeks to be seen as superior to others. And if one doesn't agree with their agenda, than one is a bigot, small minded, brainwashed, mislead and should be targeted, blackballed, not allowed to eat in certain restaurants, not allowed to wear clothing supporting candidates not of their choice etc.

• Latter-daySaintForever St. George, UT
    June 11, 2019 10:15 a.m.

I think that this is very wrong. This does not represent the whole city of Heber. On city streets the only flags that should be flown are ones that represent the whole city. When you represent all the people it unites if you do not it will divide. I have no plans to visit Heber again. It was such a nice city.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 10:14 a.m.

@independent
    "I can’t think of a better way for the LGTBQ community to gain the “acceptance” they are perpetually seeking than to drop the rainbow flag and fly the American flag, to show solidarity with the rest of us in the idea that everyone is created equal."

If they need to gain acceptance then that would imply that things are still unequal.

• Daedalus, Stephen Arvada, CO
    June 11, 2019 10:13 a.m.

A curious amount of passion over the bureaucratic decisions of a single small town in rural America.

Just to recap the bland details: Heber City, Utah granted a citizen's application under an existing "policy that lets residents apply to hang personalized banners on city lamp posts" for a month-long period.

Until these -particular- banners went up, Heber City residents were apparently unaware or simply did not care about their existing city banner policy.

The obvious solution for those Heber City residents who do not want to see this particular banner repeated is to demand their elected officials eliminate the policy that allows for the city hanging of 'personalized banners' for everybody and anybody, starting July 1. The mayor even acknowledges as much in the article.

But that does not seem to be what this is about, right?

• Mc West Jordan, UT
    June 11, 2019 10:09 a.m.

"Some of the debate over the banners, Potter believes, might come down to how people define “pride.” For some people, she says, the word may bring to mind the loud, flashy spectacle of a parade".

I define "pride" as "a feeling of satisfaction or happiness (either in oneself or on behalf of others) based on something that is well done." Rather than a parade, I think of accomplishments or traits that I would encourage my children or grandchildren to seek after.
    Expressions of pride imply support and promotion.

While I believe in being kind and loving toward all people, no matter what their beliefs or behaviors, I can't celebrate a belief or practice that is contrary to my religious beliefs.

There is no science to support homosexual or transgender feelings. LGBT is a belief system which should be afforded the same rights as any religion, but not more rights. A government displaying gay pride flags appears to promote one belief over another and to celebrate something many of us cannot celebrate. I am not offended when individuals express gay pride. It's their right. Government policy should be neutral.

• ReadMineFirst Ft. Collins, CO
    June 11, 2019 10:10 a.m.

@Lou Montana:

I am.

• Eponymous Eggplant Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 10:05 a.m.

"A symbol that tries to remind people to be nice to each other is never political."

Any group that tacitly accepts hate crime hoaxes perpetrated on their behalf isn't being "nice." As just one recent example, I have yet to see the gay community broadly condemn the utterly unconscionable actions of Jussie Smollett, who attempted to smear conservatives and especially Trump supporters and was then let of the hook by a corrupt government.

As others have noted in this thread, when the rest of America begins to perceive the LGBT movement as patriotic defenders of equal justice, then tensions will subside. Instead, we see them attempting to tear down the pillars of western civilization. That's not "nice" and neither is their flag. Rather, it is purposefully divisive; even contentious.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:59 a.m.

@Brave Sir Robin

"Nice", of course - being defined as complete conformity to your politics and life outlook.

How convenient for you.

Are you "nice" to ex-gays? Politically non-complaint homosexuals? individuals who choose not to engage in your sexual activities?

The rainbow flag is endemic of the exclusive nature of social justice inclusivity

It is amazing at how quickly leftists devolve into everything they claim to abhor.

• hcmrobin Salt Lake, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:51 a.m.

Religion teaches that pride, if not the worst of sins, is at least a catalyst for greater sin. It is man’s worst and generally the most common trait. (women too). I’m trying to picture a nationally recognized month of humility. Or how about a month of gratitude for our freedom and liberty. Pride month often looks more like more tribal warfare, socially and politically divisive. We are thankfully at a point at which almost no one but the most ignorant and backward would say gay people and other minorities should not be treated with equality, love, respect and kindness and certainly not discriminated against. That is the country we live in. When people shout “bigotry” or “racism” at every event, those words become meaningless.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    June 11, 2019 9:48 a.m.

Justiciaparatodos - Salt Lake City, UT

"I think a lot of Heber citizens, will now be remembering the Mayor's decision come next election, and it won't be a favorable recollection."

Really?

"The flying these banners has not only offended many in the Heber area, but it has offended a lot of motorists who pass through Heber."

Who is offended?

Please tell us.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:44 a.m.

@counter

I was not aware there was an LGBTQ political party. please do tell us more.

• blackattack Orem, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:39 a.m.

I agree that there are significant political overtones to the rainbow flag. If a school cannot hang the Ten Commandments from the argument that the state is favoring Judeo Christian religions, then hanging the rainbow flag is encroaching similar territory. LGBT people need more support, but let it happen from private residences.

There will likely be backlash from this. Groups will now seek to hang their flags to test the city council and may seek legal action, just as LGBT members have specifically sought out bakeries who will not make a cake for a gay marriage and brought legal action.

• Al Thepal Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:38 a.m.

I'm not a huge fan of the term "pride" being used for the LGBT agenda. Why should anyone (gay, straight, or whatever) be "proud" of who they are sexually attracted to? It is just a part of who you are, and frankly a part of you that should be kept in your private life (again: gay, straight, or whatever).

However, it appears that the flags fit the city's policy and were paid for through private means. I don't see the problem with that, even if I don't fully agree with the message of the flags. As for if the city would allow Nazi or Confederate flags, I think they would use their judgement and deny those requests as those are pretty obviously inappropriate.

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:32 a.m.

Flags are used to boost morale, show solidarity and promote the cause of the group whose flag it is. As to the latter, it remains to be seen how far the group will go to promote its' cause. Will it go so far as to create conflict ? Will it try to overpower and dominate others of differing beliefs ? Or will it be live and let live ?The future looks foreboding, based on the actions of some, currently who seem to believe it is a matter of all or nothing; us or them.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 11, 2019 9:29 a.m.

@Counter Intelligence

"The rainbow flag is a political flag"

• Bloodhound Provo, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:22 a.m.

I visited Heber recently and was shocked to see these. They doesn't represent the values of Heber to me. They represent the LGBT+ agenda.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    June 11, 2019 9:16 a.m.

• TWild32 Lehi, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:15 a.m.

Hey Potter, guilt is from within. The light of Christ was given to know good from evil. Obey the obstinate feeling and change your ideals accordingly: Potter said. "But there’s a feeling when you know you’re not accepted, and when people look at you as a sinner or a deviant. It does something deep to a person's sense of identity and well-being and confidence."

• L White Springville, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:15 a.m.

In Utah, one of our traditions is to cherish virtue. In fact, the words, "truth" and "virtue" are linked tightly together. Those words describe the norms of the families in Utah. We speak the truth and we not only cherish virtue, but we guard it, and we defend it.

Enough with flying flags that would separate us into camps. Enough with shouts of discrimination because we will never accept the principles represented by that flag. It's time to stand for virtue on every street in America. That will offend some people, but it will protect our children from being told and taught principles that will destroy their peace and their happiness.

There was once a flag flown in America. "And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it—In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children—and he fastened it upon the end of a pole."

That flag represented something. It stood for God, for religion, for freedom, for peace, for families. It was a flag that encouraged people to be better, to be honorable, to be respectors of the God that gave them breath. It stood for truth and virtue.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:11 a.m.

This was a bad idea just like displaying the Ten Commandments on public property is bad. The government should remain neutral otherwise the city will face lawsuits.

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    June 11, 2019 9:10 a.m.

""I don’t think people are necessarily outright mean," Potter said [...]"
    ... they just throw things at gay people and threaten them.

But not in a *mean* way or anything.

• dmcvey Los Angeles, CA
    June 11, 2019 8:45 a.m.

Good for Potter. Whatever the outcome she is a brave and good citizen.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 8:44 a.m.

The rainbow flag is a political flag

Unless government is going to allow other political flags, they should not be endorsing a specific one.

• Justiciaparatodos Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 8:39 a.m.

The article states: "Mayor Kelleen Potter, who gave the Pride flags the official stamp of approval, said she’s been surprised by the volume of feedback on the matter".

• Joe Hilll Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 8:39 a.m.

the people that hung these flags followed the exact same process as any other group that request to hang flags and meet all the same requirements as any other group, Heber did the right thing by treating this group the same as any other group. I get that equality can feel like oppression to those that are used to being able to oppress others with impunity but it really is going to be all right.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    June 11, 2019 8:39 a.m.

@UteFan60:
    "The old patterns of hatred, misunderstandings, false religious rhetoric, and downright discrimination have been confronted and that fight continues. "

You have assumed an awful lot. Inherent in your statement is the assumption that moral beliefs are equivalent of hate and prejudice.

Please explain your reasoning.

Otherwise the rest of us will probably conclude that you are driven by your own phobias and intolerance rather than logic and reasoning.

• Jacobiuntherus Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 8:32 a.m.

To InMyOpinionAlso - sandy, UT:

Thank you for expressing your opinion, so many people agree with you whole heartedly!

We are getting so tired of the constant bombardment of LGBTQ promotion - it only serves to divide people and not unify us at all. In fact, all this LGBTQ agenda promotion, just harms the LGBTQ cause in the eyes of the majority who want to be understanding and accepting, but it is starting to have the opposite effect.

Due to the divisiveness of the LGBTQ promotion, now I see groups now wanting to hold "straight pride" parades and weeks and so-forth. That movement will only intensify if this other stuff continues.

• All American Herriman, UT
    June 11, 2019 8:31 a.m.

I don't understand why people prefer to classify themselves. Is it a need to be part of a tribe? A need to stand out from the crowd? A need to shove their differences in our faces? The only difference between LGBT people and everyone else is their sexual proclivity. Why would they want to be defined by just that? We know we all have sex but why the need to shout it to the world with a parade or a flag.

Let's get rid of all the classifications. We know we all have differences. Why must we continue to divide ourselves by our differences? Can't we just be humans or Americans or neighbors or friends?

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 8:24 a.m.

@Utefan60:

What you say may be true for a minority percentage of the population but it is not true for the rest of us!

You are exaggerating the facts in a straw man attempt to spread a falsehood.

The sooner the LGBTQ community mellows out and stops putting their agenda in our faces the sooner people will be more accepting and less judgmental. Until then, we just want to promote the message that ALL PEOPLE MATTER and are important.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    June 11, 2019 7:58 a.m.

Man they opened up a 'can of worms" with that thoughtless, albeit benign act. Now ANY group can request the same and denial will probably cost the city a ton of money in litigation. There are a lot of groups out there that a city probably doesn't want to "support." Elected officials need to THINK every once in a while and not just "react." No issue with the flags but they should have been limited private rather than public areas.

• Joe Hilll Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2019 7:40 a.m.

@zgomer
    while I may agree that it would be silly for HOA's to ban American flags there is an important fundamental difference between a private organization such as an HOA and a public, city government.

• Orson Woods Cross, UT
    June 11, 2019 7:38 a.m.

I always have proceeded under the wise notion that if the ACLU likes something, it is bad and wrong for America. Seems I am right again.

There are likely many people of strong religious faith in Heber City that do not want their town to become a publicity stunt promoting the gay agenda. But they have to be careful or gay people will call them bigots and shout them down in the public square. When you use loaded newly invented words like "homophobic" you can often silence the majority.

But I am glad to hear that at least a few folks in Heber are brave enough to stand up to the gay lobby and the ACLU and speak up for good and right.

• dski Herriman, UT
    June 11, 2019 7:31 a.m.

It seems we as a society are selectively fine with certain issues and are contemptus on others. Why are some people offended by the displaying of Old Glory is beyond me, yet the displaying of the LGBT flags are viewed as a sign of inclusion and tolerance. As a non-white minority, I would love to see flags celebrating the accomplishments of white men. But becasue it is politically incorrect, there will never be such recognition. What about the Mexican farm workers in the area, are they going to display the Mexican flags to show their support? That shows we are fooling ourselves by claiming that we are inclusive and tolerance of others. No we are not. We are very selective in our choices on who to support, especially the hot potato issues.

• Rightasrain Heber City, UT
    June 11, 2019 7:12 a.m.

This does nothing good in Heber City. It has been a divider not a uniting force. They should have never gone up and now nobody dares touch the subject for fear of offending their neighbor. The Mayor was not the smartest when she made this decision.

• J Thompson SPRINGVILLE, UT
    June 11, 2019 7:04 a.m.

To allow a group to hang flags from public property that calls attention to their sexual agenda when that sexual agenda is not recognized by the community as the community's norm, gives superior status to those who promote that agenda and fly their flags. That is inequality. For any city to emphasize that inequality is to deny all citizens equal protection under the law. If a flag is to be flown in our communities, let it be the Stars and Stripes that represent us all. Let those who beliefs and behavior differ, fly their flags on their own property. The Constitution guarantees them that right but the Constitution does not guarantee any group a superior role based on their person conduct or beliefs.

• Birdman1990 Mapleton, UT
    June 11, 2019 7:03 a.m.

Straight pride, all lives matter.

• AndrewWL Denmark, 00
    June 11, 2019 6:38 a.m.

"After coming out as gay in Heber City, Potter said her son experienced violence and verbal harassment, including people throwing things at him from cars and texting him threats and homophobic slurs." Nice. I am sure the folks of Heber think they are nice upstanding people too. I think I will postpone my visit until Heber arrives in the 21st century.

• Utefan60 , 00
    June 11, 2019 6:16 a.m.

I find that they represent the changing of times. That is 100% true. The old patterns of hatred, misunderstandings, false religious rhetoric, and downright discrimination have been confronted and that fight continues.

Millenials, families, and even religious people are changing their preconceived notions. Millenials are not falling for the hatreds and bigotries that they find to be wrong.

Even Churches have changed. One time it was a "sin to be born gay". Then it was a "choice". Then that changed to an attraction that was labeled "same sex attraction". That continuing evolution has released many LBGTQ people from the chains of religious bigotry.

New civil rights are here. Marriage, no matter what anyone thinks is the law of the land. And it didn't challange anyone's religous beliefs. Some didn't like it, but millions celebrated that members of their own families had a right that the rest of us took for granted.

A famous Utah celebrity recently attended the joyeous wedding of her daughter to her new wife. Yes times are a changing! The fight to change those times has been rough and in some cases filled with abuse and even murder.

• AlagnakLounger Heber City, UT
    June 11, 2019 5:52 a.m.

The ACLU is wrong. Individuals have every right to hand a flag in their own yards. It’s protected by the First Amendment. However, they don’t have a right to do so on public property. I’m not a fan of County Councilman Goode, but he’s correct. Imagine how nuts the ACLU would be if the City allowed the LDS Church (err the Church of Jesus Christ) or the Republican Party to hand flags on the lamp posts.

• Shuzzie53 , 00
    June 10, 2019 11:52 p.m.

There’s a show on CNN called United Shades of America. Last week’s episode was on gay people in SLC. Very interesting.

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    June 10, 2019 11:28 p.m.

People are falling all over themselves attempting to demonstrate they are hip to homosexuality*.

* - Are we still allowed to use that word, or is that likewise polically incorrect.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    June 10, 2019 9:43 p.m.

The times they are a changing