Surprise! Starbucks to open its first Provo store next year

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    June 11, 2019 1:36 p.m.

They are free to open a store. And I'm free to laugh at them when they close the store in a year.

At least, I hope they go out of business from lack of customers. Sadly, I'm sure they will be fine as a "novelty" for a while.

As for Impartial.... consider which is more likely to happen: a Starbucks opening in Provo, or a deli closing on Sunday in San Francisco due to desires to be closed on the Sabbath. Almost certainly a lawsuit as "tolerant" leftists demonstrate their complete intolerance for everything.

• mohokat , 00
    June 11, 2019 7:46 a.m.

"Instead of Starbucks I make my Coffee at home, yell out my name incorrectly and light a five dollar bill on fire"

• Max Upstate, NY
    June 11, 2019 6:57 a.m.

One of the dumbest financial moves anyone can make is to be a frequent customer of Starbucks. I have my personal finance students (in NY) track their spending for a month as the first step in establishing a budget and to figure out places to cut back. They are absolutely horrified when they see how much they spend at places like Starbucks, often over $1,000 per year. And these are poor college students!

• Serenityrosee Gresham, OR
    June 10, 2019 10:11 p.m.

As a card-carrying member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and also a Starbucks gold card rewards club member, I'm all for Starbucks opening wherever they can make money.

Due to dietary restrictions, they are one of very few places I can enjoy a hot drink on a cold day. For obvious reasons, I avoid coffee, and leaf tea; but for health reasons I cannot have dairy, caffeine, or sugar. So where can I get a non-dairy, non-coffee, sugar free, hot chocolate? It's hard to find at one-off specialty shops, but almost all starbucks carry it.

• Puukko Orem , 00
    June 10, 2019 7:36 p.m.

Imp

Son, there's not much about Utah you like, is there?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    June 10, 2019 6:45 p.m.

Pretty soon they're be a zillion of 'em.
    I can't afford them, nor do I have any idea of the lingo necessary to order there. Let me know when there's a Tim Hortons in the neighbourhood.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    June 10, 2019 5:40 p.m.

@Impartial7: "... a zion curtain to keep young kids from seeing coffee being poured."

Two notable points from the small minded jab at Utah laws.

1-The CoJCoLDS' health code treats coffee and tea exactly as it does alcohol and tobacco. That Utah has no laws limiting coffee or tea is evidence that our laws governing alcohol and tobacco are about legitimate public health concerns rather than any attempt to impose religious values or practices on non-believers.

2-The much maligned visual barrier in new restarants operating under expanding alcohol licenses was a compromise between the legislature and the hospitality industry to expand the number of alcohol licenses available to restaurants. It was one of several small items itended to maintain disctinctions between restaurants and bars. That the hospitality industry accepted the deal and then so quickly attacked it, shows a lack of integrity on their part.

Want more bars? Lobby for more bars. But if you claim it is about allowing more legit restaurants to operate, then don't try to have bars pretend to be restaraunts to take advantage of easier licensing.

Not even drinkers want a bar as a next door neighbor; Too many problems.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 10, 2019 4:04 p.m.

@Elsleuth:
    The price of a home in 1950 was just over $7,000.
    Everything was more affordable then.

• Elsleuth Valencia, Ca
    June 10, 2019 2:44 p.m.

I'm sure they will get patrons. Even though it won't be a mass movement they will still make money because their drinks are so overpriced. In 1950 cup of coffee was 15 cents.

• Liberal Mormon Salt Lake City, UT
    June 10, 2019 2:30 p.m.

What I find hilarious is that in all this hubbub of Provo not having enough coffee shops, and the hullabaloo of Starbucks coming to town, the article mentions it's opening up.... wait for it, "Adjacent to...Einstein's Bros. Bagels" which is, among other things, a coffee shop.

There's a metaphor here somewhere. I just don't want to look for it.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    June 10, 2019 12:52 p.m.

I sat next to a Star Bucks executive on a plane 10 years of so ago and we had a good laugh on no stores in Utah County. I think they had 1 at the time with no plans for more. There was no ill will or animosity just an agreed upon fact that it was not the best fit due to demographics for a store to be busy and make enough money.

I guess it would be like putting a Hot dog stand or a BBQ pork sandwich shop in a Jewish part of NYC or a Muslim part of the world. Just does not make a lot of sense.

I travel the world for work and my cohorts patronize Star Bucks and I have a fruit smoothie and a danish. Hey a nice place to sit and free wifi. If they want to go to Provo so be it but don't expect the major population there to patronize it. Especially on Sunday.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    June 10, 2019 12:17 p.m.

I think, to keep things fair, they should require them to build a zion curtain to keep young kids from seeing coffee being poured.

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 10, 2019 12:11 p.m.

I go to Starbucks once in a while for their non-coffee drinks. Definitely overpriced. Truthfully, I never noticed there wasn’t one in Provo.