Former BYU quarterback Tanner Mangum spotted at XFL 'summer showcase'

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    June 12, 2019 1:28 p.m.

Is this the same Tanner Magnum that threw 18 interceptions in the first 4 minutes of the Las Vegas Bowl a few years back against Utah? Oh he is a good one, for the opposing team!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    June 12, 2019 12:53 p.m.

@ Utah-Hawaii Alum - CA, 00 - June 11, 2019 2:12 p.m. -

Utah-Hawaii Alum / RealUte / Mike - This will most likely be the "only" thing you and I ever agree on, but, yes, music is indeed incredible. My mom was a piano teacher for almost 50 years and taught me to appreciate the good stuff.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    June 12, 2019 12:44 p.m.

@ Utah-Hawaii Alum - CA, 00 - June 11, 2019 1:38 p.m. - "@BleedingCougar, As I stated, he needs to pursue another dream, or he won't have a life until he reaches that reality to himself. Ya gotta make $ man.....and be realistic. My "life" would unequivocally boggle your most fantastical imaginations........I ain't dumb, pal."

Dude, you may not be dumb but you certainly are arrogant, or do you want to dispute that?

There's a lesson there for you if you want it.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    June 11, 2019 2:12 p.m.

@ Bleeding Cougar,

Thanks for the additional inquiry about my trumpets. Yes, I still rebuild great old horns, give them away to minority kids and teach them how to play a trumpet correctly. I live for it, always have. I was extremely lucky, coming from a great family and my dad was one of the best brass players to ever live, as am I........ and when your DNA affords U that unique gift, then share it with others.

Music is incredible, sir!

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    June 11, 2019 1:38 p.m.

@BleedingCougar,

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    June 11, 2019 1:34 p.m.

@ Utah-Hawaii Alum - CA, 00 - June 11, 2019 10:46 a.m. - "@ Jell-O, You probably agreed with me finally because you are an athlete, or once was a good one. As you well know, I was and am a scratch golfer......…"

No, oh great one, we did not know you are a scratch golfer.

Don't you have some trumpets to hand out to poor kids?

(SMH....)

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    June 11, 2019 1:32 p.m.

@ 65 power tossy trapped,

That is a great comeback and thank U!!!! I giggled big time! So, here we go........

I'm almost 6'4" with long legs and arms @ 217lbs......and in great shape. Yeah, I hit the golf ball pretty darn hard, son. The caveat however.....it goes into the spinach too often due my wide arc and how far the ball travels. It is difficult to explain to you. I have fun playing golf and beat the tar out of almost anyone that I tee it up against........except great players, and all tour players. They whoop me like a step child! I do like to hustle a few bucks......at my old age! HAHA!

Thanks for your fantastic rebuttal sir! Mike.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    June 11, 2019 1:29 p.m.

@ Utah-Hawaii Alum - CA, 00 - June 10, 2019 9:38 a.m. - "It is high-time for Mangum to pursue another dream."

Thankfully, it's his life, not yours.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    June 11, 2019 1:14 p.m.

Nice guy, but as others have already mentioned, poor mechanics that lead to poor performance.

Zach is head-and-shoulders better than Tanner.

That said, I wish him well in his future endeavors and if that includes trying his hand in the pros, so be it.

His skill and mechanics are 1000% better than any of the critics on this blog.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    June 11, 2019 11:42 a.m.

"As you well know, I was and am a scratch golfer...."

Can you hit that ball clean over those mountains like Uncle Rico can throw a football?

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    June 11, 2019 10:46 a.m.

@ Jell-O,

As you well know, I was and am a scratch golfer.........well, as I a grew older, didn't have the time to practice much, I developed a horrific habit that is called a "reverse pivot." You can Google that golfing plight. BUT, it is the same deal that some face, or who doesn't know the athletic basics.

Case in point........Tiger Woods in 2008............he blew out his left knee and that was it for a decade...... along with his bad back. If you cannot brace and pivot off your front leg......the party cannot happen.......I'm glad you are an athlete, sir.

• Jello is Good ,
    June 11, 2019 10:26 a.m.

@JohnInSLC - Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:00 a.m.

"Or, it’s an admission that coog fans are obsessed with Utah, while simultaneously being obsessed with accusing Ute fans of being obsessed with the coogs. "

Says the guy that just came on to an article about an average BYU QB trying out for the XFL and still tried to make it about Utah. No one has to accuse you. Your self-affirmation say everything.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 11, 2019 9:00 a.m.

“Nah, that’s just a reference to the only sort of PAC-12 opponent byu-p’s capable of beating.”

AZUTE1:

Or, it’s an admission that coog fans are obsessed with Utah, while simultaneously being obsessed with accusing Ute fans of being obsessed with the coogs. The day we follow that example and start using coog-referencing screen names is the day they may be right.

Never happen.

• Jello is Good ,
    June 11, 2019 8:07 a.m.

@Rightasrain

"Mangum has the potential to be a pretty good NFL quarterback in the right situation. He is a pure drop back quarterback who was placed into a goofy system at BYU. BYU should have been a great situation but not under Mendenhall nor the first 2 years of Sitake. They were not running the Edwards system of pro style offense.

I read many comments, mostly from Utah fans on this site. Why do you do that? it seems like you are a bunch of crabs trying to pull people down into your self loathing bucket.

Quit it! You are being silly."

-------------

I am a die hard BYU fan. With that said, you are absolutly wrong on Mangum. At best he was an average D-1 QB. He not only has no chance in the NFL, he will most likly be a back-up in the CFL. The XFL is right where he needs to be.

You are wrong on BYU's offence. Only the first year of Detmer and part of the second were pro-style. BYU plays a variation of the run and shoot with a straight ahead running game being the only difference. (Mostly because their current backs don't have the speed to get to the edge.)

Dude, no crab here and definitely not self-loathing. Just an honest assessment of the man's skills.

• Jello is Good ,
    June 11, 2019 7:58 a.m.

@Utah-Hawaii Alum -

"Mangum had poor throwing mechanics and it so proved to be "true." When Mangum tried to throw a ball 20+ yards he never planted his left leg and was airborne. That is whY he had no "zip" on his passes and mostly threw short balls.

I don't care if you play golf, baseball, soccer, football, etc..........in order to get the velocity/accuracy .... one must create leverage and transfer the weight. He isn't an athlete and doesn't understand the basics."

-------------

One of the few times I'll agree with Mike. Mangum's mechanics were bad and he didn't have the athleticism and understanding of the game to include progressions and reads. His release point is way too low and the wind up too long...sort of looked like he was throwing a paper airplane. That's why so many of his balls were knocked down and intercepted. The only long plays he ever connected on was when in trouble, he would roll right and throw it on the run. His momentum and movement actually helped his arm get in the proper position for the throw.

BYU didn't ruin him. their mistake was going with him one more year. They knew what they had and still played him. Shame on them for that.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    June 11, 2019 5:40 a.m.

“Nice username, by the way. An ode to BYU-P football?”

Go Utes!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 10, 2019 6:30 p.m.

@never break 500

"of course few on their team could make the admission standards of BYU or Stanford or UCLA..."

Learn more about admissions standards for NCAA athletes. The minimum admission GPA for athletes at BYU-P, Stanford, and UCLA is 2.3, just like every other school in the country. No need to perpetuate the lie that it's tougher for athletes to get into BYU-P.

Nice username, by the way. An ode to BYU-P football?

• never break .500 Beverly Hills, CA
    June 10, 2019 4:58 p.m.

it's always the same....endless comments by obsessed Ute fans against BYU alums....of course few on their team could make the admission standards of BYU or Stanford or UCLA or or or....Go Utes!

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    June 10, 2019 2:39 p.m.

"it seems like you are a bunch of crabs trying to pull people down into your self loathing bucket. "

Not a bad description.

• Rightasrain Heber City, UT
    June 10, 2019 2:04 p.m.

Tanner Mangum has the potential to be a pretty good NFL quarterback in the right situation. He is a pure drop back quarterback who was placed into a goofy system at BYU. BYU should have been a great situation for magnum but not under Mendenhall nor the first 2 years of Sitake. They were not running the Edwards system of pro style offense.

Quit it! You are being silly.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    June 10, 2019 12:11 p.m.

Anybody that thinks Tanner Mangum or Taysom Hill can play QB????........never watched Tom Brady, Joe Montana or John Elway play or throw the ball.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    June 10, 2019 12:02 p.m.

@ Chris B,

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 10, 2019 11:17 a.m.

Mangun is not a good quarterback. BYu ruined what was a promising career, much like they do to many players. Great athletes will look to him as a reason NOT go to to byu, as they should.

• Jello is Good ,
    June 10, 2019 11:05 a.m.

Exactly where he needs to be trying out. Either there or the CFL. The eye test as well as personal stats and wins he just was an average D1 QB at best. Nice guy, but once the clock started and he got up under center he never was that good.

• There You Go Again St George, UT
    June 10, 2019 10:53 a.m.

Tanner is a good guy.

Hope he enjoys his time with the XFL.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    June 10, 2019 10:18 a.m.

I totally agree with Bobby Peru!

• HaoleBoy N. Las Vegas, NV
    June 10, 2019 10:18 a.m.

Let him pursue his dream. Go get’um Tanner! All the best to you

• Bobby Peru Salt Lake City, UT
    June 10, 2019 9:52 a.m.

Another of the players with sky-is-the-limit talent that left BYU-P playing worse than when he entered. A very nice guy; good luck in hooking up with an XFL team.

• SGU84770 St. George, UT
    June 10, 2019 9:44 a.m.

Unlikely that this league will last any longer than the AAF. What is the AAF you might ask? My point exactly. Did not last long enough to be remembered.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    June 10, 2019 9:38 a.m.

It is high-time for Mangum to pursue another dream.