BYU men's basketball: Mark Pope's personality refreshing and he hopes ultimately unifying

• What in Tucket Provo, UT
    June 11, 2019 6:17 a.m.

I think Coach Pope could be looking for another center to back up Childs. The new coaching staff allows a little optimism from the fans. Though the team does have veteran players some of the new players not only Toolson may help. It seems to me that the big me in particular will profit from this coaching staff. I hope for a second place finish in the WCC.

• daver , 00
    June 10, 2019 11:51 a.m.

Some people either don't possess the humor gene (seriously), and or hope they could pass his tongue-in-cheek comments off as genuine, in order to up the clicks on their phony articles.

• utahcountyaggie_19 Saratoga Springs, UT
    June 9, 2019 12:57 p.m.

This guy seems like a cool dude. Should be fun to see what he can do with BYU's roster this upcoming season. As long as they don't beat Utah State, I'm perfectly fine. That should be a really fun game to watch. Best of luck Cougars and Go Aggies!

• Sukiyaki Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 9, 2019 12:55 a.m.

Pope is bringing it. He and his assistants are a big step up from where Rose and staff left off.

I’m looking forward to seeing a more competitive team this year. His energy and will to win are already making a difference.

• mncougar Stillwater, MN
    June 8, 2019 2:50 p.m.

A little irreverence is a welcome breath of fresh air.

• Crazy in California Acampo, CA
    June 8, 2019 11:50 a.m.

Sarcasm is an art.

I'm not particularly good at it.

Communication is difficult enough, especially when people don't know you well, your style and/or are looking for reasons to be offended.

Coach Pope is so positive, he probably thinks others will see his sarcasm as he does.

• wallyball SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 8, 2019 10:24 a.m.

I can't pass up the chance to agree for the very first time with the comment from therealnd.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    June 8, 2019 9:35 a.m.

I agree, there are certain things that are taboo, even jokingly, and payoffs are one of them. He needs to be more “humble” and reserved about his recruiting style. Don’t talk about it, just do it.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 8, 2019 9:21 a.m.

Coach Pope is just fine and the press needs to stop looking for a story where there is none.

• water rocket , 00
    June 8, 2019 9:13 a.m.

One commentator here said that last year's team was average. Considering that they lost to Weber State, but beat USU and Utah, I rather think that they were inconsistent, but talented. Having mush of the same team back is not a bad thing. They have more experience, they have a new energy, they don't have the same emotional drain that NCAA rules violations caused last year's team to struggle, and they have a new and energized coaching staff. What isn't to like here?

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    June 8, 2019 9:04 a.m.

When I read the comment I didn't know if he was being sarcastic or not (it was print)---I just thought it was a stupid comment to make and ridiculous to give bulletin board material to the Zags. My point was that, if you aren't really good with sarcasm and humor, maybe you should keep it to yourself until you've really proven yourself in the league. Leave biting humor to the pros. Now he's saying that people who "didn't get the sarcasm" are lacking half a brain. Yep---that's a really "refreshing" personality. More like a guy from the sticks getting his first taste of the big time (heh) and not doing so well at it. Let's face it--that Yoeli Childs pom pom thing was incredibly lame. This guy hasn't coached a single game for the Coogs and we're already at Frank Arnold level moving to def com Roger Reid.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    June 8, 2019 5:51 a.m.

He should stop with the sarcasm about bringing bags of cash to recruits. At least for now, considering his team is still on probation because boosters gave a player money, trips and a car.

• Grunao Provo, UT
    June 7, 2019 11:50 p.m.

Great guy. Let's see if he is able to develop players and coach against more difficult competition. The team last year was average, with most of the same players returning this year. Hopefully he can help improve their skills. If not, it will be more of the same.

• Caddis Terry, MT
    June 7, 2019 10:12 p.m.

This time of year it is easy to dream big and why not? We were blessed with a great coach in Rose and I will take his word for it that it was time to hand off the reins.
    Best of luck Coach Pope! You seem a different cat, and we are excited for the new vibe!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    June 7, 2019 8:39 p.m.

We are very blessed to have Mark Pope and this fine coaching staff to head the BYU basketball team. I see great things in the near future for this program!

Go BYU Cougars!