How visiting Normandy, France, redefined patriotism for me — a millennial

The guide said that the French will never forget what the Americans did for them on D-Day. At her words, a strong and bizarre feeling bubbled up in my chest, similar to the feeling that you get when you’re about to cry, but slightly different.

• eastlanative West Jordan, UT
    June 18, 2019 7:05 a.m.

Well written article, Thank you for your words, insight and Feelings. Reminded me of a talk by Elder Bednar, "Things as They Really Are". In it he talks about how sometimes the cyber world, in which many millennials live, can seem so real yet it is not "real life". I doubt you would have experienced the same thoughts and feelings merely reading about D-Day and looking at pictures of Omaha Beach. Some things must be experienced "in real life". Well done!

• windsor Logan, UT
    June 7, 2019 6:31 a.m.

I was heartened by the author's attitude to want to learn and understand.

I have recently had two shocking experiences with people her age who were the opposite--who had No idea of the truth or facts--- but were so very convinced that they already knew everything. And were too smug to condescend to learn or understand.

The title of this article caught my eye because through it, the author hinted at a humility of learning and coming to understand, as a millennial.

Really appreciate her attitude to want to do this.

Many other Millennials could certainly use that paradigm.

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    June 6, 2019 9:55 a.m.

May we never forget freedom comes at a cost and grateful to those who paid the ultimate price for it.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    June 6, 2019 9:27 a.m.

Wow, a millennial studied some history

• Flat foot , 00
    June 6, 2019 6:16 a.m.

Well said, Emily. You understand patriotism.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    June 6, 2019 6:02 a.m.

Boyd... perhaps this is why our younger generation doesn't get it. From today...

“We are celebrating the anniversary, 75 years of D-Day,” McDaniel said. “This is the time where we should be celebrating our president, the great achievements of America,..."

McDaniel is the RNC chair - wants the commemorations of today to be honoring Trump - not those 6,000 crosses representing those men who lost it all to turn back the tide of oppression that was sweeping the world. Honoring our current President should be no part of this. The commemoration of this days events 75 years ago should be about those people, their sacrifices.

I've been blessed with the opportunity to visit those beaches several times. It's never been a time to think about politics... but rather those were someone's dad, son, father, uncle, brother... who lost their lives on those beaches.

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    June 5, 2019 11:01 p.m.

I appreciate a well written article from Emily Hoeven on her recent visit to Normandy, France. I can't verify the stories that I read and hear about that many of our current youth are not learning the full history of World War 2 in schools and universities around the country. But as students a number of years back we studied history extensively and we were proud of all the soldiers that fought to make this world a better place. I believe that everyone that is able to within this great country of ours should make the same trip to Normandy and experience for themselves what Emily did by her visit there and gain a greater love for this country and all the sacrifices made by true heroes to give us a better life.