Rudy Gobert getting named to an All-NBA team will likely affect the Utah Jazz in a big way financially. Here's how

• Vonsvomit Tooele, UT
    May 27, 2019 3:37 a.m.

Well, I can see Rudy Gobert being traded away very, very soon. Why? Because of the possibility of a supermax contract and the Utah Jazz inability to open up the purse strings just a smidge.

The Utah Jazz will never, ever become championship caliber team they once were when Malone and Stockton ruled the court. And it all boils down to the purse strings and the Jazz inability to loosen them a smidge.

• utahcountyaggie_19 Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 27, 2019 12:45 a.m.

I like what Grandpa Zucc said about how every team could eventually have two or at least one supermax player. It really will level out competition when that incentive to stay with the team is in place. That being said, give it to Rudy. He is That valuable to the Jazz. This is the summer for swinging on the big guys and then making adjustments where necessary. I'm positive the front office can do it. Go Jazz! In Dennis Lindsey We Trust!

• drski Eden, UT
    May 25, 2019 3:43 p.m.

We give 10 's of millions of dollars in taxes payer money to the JAZZ, so just enjoy it!!

• Grandpa Zucc Sandy, UT
    May 25, 2019 2:34 p.m.

Okay ed. I agree with you about players being entertainers in a free market. We pay big bucks to see top notch musicians perform. Same goes for athletes. I don't have an opinion about the supermax formula, but you can be sure the free market will eventually take care of any inconsistencies.

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    May 25, 2019 11:46 a.m.

Eventually, all teams will have one or two supermax players. This might help level the competition. The question will be whether the Jazz want to have Rudy as their supermax guy and prevent them from putting some future player into that position. Pay him $50 million a year? I don't care. Nobody is forcing us to go to games or watch them on TV. This is just the free market in action. Good for all the athletes. They are finally getting their fair share of the entertainment that they are providing. Whatever they get paid, I will continue to enjoy watching them and rooting for them. They are the best in the world as what they do. It is simply supply and demand. Anyone who resents it should just go try out for a team.

• Grandpa Zucc Sandy, UT
    May 25, 2019 10:41 a.m.

Thanks for the up front financial information. To get past the playoff first round, a team must have at least two superstars. Players leave the Jazz because the market is better elsewhere which makes the Jazz a good training team. None the less, we fans love the entertainment they give us while here. Go Jazz!

• drich Green River, Utah
    May 25, 2019 6:05 a.m.

I hope he gives some dollars to our education system. Our sports salaries are a joke, athletes getting that kind of money for maybe tens year's of work is garbage.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 24, 2019 8:56 p.m.

It would have been better for Jazz fans of Gobert to have had him just have been selected as an all-star instead of the 'All NBA' paper team.

These things are corrupt and bizarre anyway. The whole 'All NBA' stuff seems motivated by those behind a relative curtain to effect salaries. Did Klay Thompson miss out on All NBA honors so as to aid in the Bay Area likely retaining his services and preserving a Warrior dynasty?

I assume Kemba Walker being added to this list of supermax guys makes him all the more unavailable for the Jazz. Or maybe nobody will pay him that much anyway.

• water rocket , 00
    May 24, 2019 3:41 p.m.

As much as I like Gobert, I don't believe it is in the best interests of ANY team to commit 35% of their entire salary to just one player. I simply don't think it is fair to the rest of the team, and it certainly takes away any incentive for the other players to bust their tails off without the possibility to get big pay raises. Also, a supermax player should be able to carry a team in crunch time, (like LaBron James), and I don't think Rudy can do that. Is Rudy valuable to the team? Sure he is, but he is not the entire team, and there is no "I" in team.

• oldbasketball Draper, UT
    May 24, 2019 3:09 p.m.

Gobert is an impact player. But I don't see why you would give anyone fifty million dollars a year whose only offensive shot is a dunk. The salaries in the nba are really out of control.