'I'm gay,' GOP Utah County Commissioner Nathan Ivie announces on YouTube

Other politicians offer support after Nathan Ivie posts video

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2019 1:28 p.m.

A heartfelt message which took great courage to share.

For the religious bigots who have posted. Consider the fact if they had been accepted to start with and so many not told by bishops, stake presidents, mission leaders, and leaders even higher up it would all go away if they just got married or they could be fixed they would not be going through this or having to explain anything to anyone. Or, justify their existence or worth.

It is the teachings and naivety of the religious who have put them in these most difficult situations.

It is the Ivie's business how they resolve all this with their family and help everyone to heal. Not the public's.

If you look at the animal kingdom, there is a high level of same sex attraction. Unless Christians believe God screwed up everything in his creation of man and beast, maybe they need to trust him and love all he has created as he does. We don't know why same sex attraction occurs in either kingdom. But, God certainly had power in the creation to make sure it didn't happen. Perhaps, it was to more fully teach all about what real Christlike love is that he let it happen.

The world needs more authenticity and truth.

• BobP CA, 00
    May 25, 2019 9:36 a.m.

I agree with Orson. My religion, LDS is opposed to gay marriage and so am I.

My wife died quite young. And as I never remarried I have been a celibate heterosexual since then. During our marriage we managed to multiply and replenish with 4 children. How many gay or lesbian couples are going to do that.

If God wants to give a revelation and ad a section to the D&C approving of gay marriage, I may reconsider, after prayer and fasting. I am not going to hold my breath in the meantime.

The more likely scenario is that we are "ripening in iniquity" rather than increasing in tolerance.

• BobbyPaluga Austin, TX
    May 25, 2019 2:45 a.m.

It’s time to recognize that society has allowed gay people to be the butt of sick jokes, ridiculed and accused of the most disgusting behaviors, and now it’s time to stop. It’s very likely that this gentleman was born to a heterosexual couple, he indicates he tried to fit in and live the life that would not result in his being a target by anti-gay crusaders and the religious right. He couldn’t keep it up and no one should be expected to.
    Best of luck to Mr Ivie, I hope bigotry doesn’t raise its ugly head to prevent him from living out his dreams.

• ghost 1 BRIGHAM CITY, UT
    May 24, 2019 4:42 p.m.

I have southern ancestry and love to fly my Confederate flag on my truck and wear my MAGA hat and I believe I'm a good guy, too. So what does this have to do with "Coming out". Freedom. I spent 30 years in the service of this country so that we could be free to do the things that interest us. Non-violently of course. It's ok what gays do and we have to tolerate them. But I get flipped off. Smirked at, swore at but do I care. No. I ignore most childish acts. I suspect gays get the same treatment and that is sad. But there ya go. We are supposed to be so lovey dovey with everyone and tolerate what they do. But it's only certain factions that get all the toleration and sympathy while other Non-violent entities get drug around in the dirt with no sympthy. And what's this thing about judgement?

• Glendabulous Frisco, TX
    May 24, 2019 2:04 p.m.

Orson2

I'm curious do you think his wife would be happier/better off in a marriage where she can not truly be loved like she deserves to be loved? I don't know about you but I would not want my straight daughter to be married to a gay man ...the reasons here are endless so I'll let you ponder that one. Also Sodom was not about God punishing the people of the city for not offering them Tea or Hot Cocoa. If you have studied the scriptures and the apocrypha you would know the people of the city were evil and tortured travelers by cruelty, rape, theft, and starvation even until death. If the men of the city were truly gay why would Lot offer his virgin daughters to them? Have you ever known a city where every man was gay? The statistics are impossible! They were not wanting to rape the Angels for pleasure it was for control and to dehumanize them. God punished them for their evil treatment of others by burning the city which he had planned on doing Long before the incident occurred, that is why the Angels were sent there in the first place. So why would God send Angels to burn the wicked city for homosexuality BEFORE the Angels were even threatened? Bless Ivie for his Courage!

• Jer-Bear Springville, UT
    May 24, 2019 10:58 a.m.

While this is pleasing to the Left, it is fine for this gentleman to state whatever he wishes to portray. But, why the FRONT page of the newspaper? If this is front page news, I'll be re-evaluating my need for any re-subscription notices. And also, WHY do so many gay people shout from the roof tops?
    As a human being, we all have things we tell our friends. Understood. But there is nothing like this, that I would ever share, so why do others, and also why does the media display it so much & on the front page? The answer seems simple to me. Liberals feast on this type of story...

• utahman19 Bountiful, UT
    May 24, 2019 2:58 a.m.

I don't know Mr. Ivie. I'm not a member of his political party, I don't live in his district, I am not a cowboy, and I am not LGBTQ. But, watching this video today this humble man managed to connect with me on a human level. I admire him. His message was delivered in a sincere, gentle and open manner. He's a community leader, a public servant, a husband & dad, a Utahn, a horseman, he's gay, and oh, yes, he's also Republican. He's exactly the same great person right now as he was yesterday and all the days before. Being a Republican isn't what defines who he is. Being gay isn't what defines who he is. These are all simply pieces of who he is as a human being - and, I think an incredibly brave and honorable one. His video was an invitation for me to be a little kinder. I hope any child in my life who may be struggling with dread and fear about not "fitting" the mold will feel they can confide in me. I would love to put an arm around them, let them know they are loved 100% unconditionally and NEEDED. I want to celebrate their brilliance, encourage them to shine, enjoy the unique human being they were born to be! Thank you, Mr. Ivie, for reminding us of what being human is all about.

• Orson2 Woods Cross, UT
    May 23, 2019 7:55 p.m.

Ranch,
    I'm not surprised your interpretations of these Biblical passages are so off, considering where you are coming from. However, LDS have prophets to interpret. Our manuals state: "these verses in Genesis 19 and Jude 1 help us understand that the grievous sin mentioned in Genesis 18:20 included homosexual behavior. This behavior was widely accepted and practiced among the inhabitants of Sodom and nearby cities (see Jude 1:7). The prophet Ezekiel spoke of additional sins that plagued the inhabitants of Sodom."

"from the beginning, and consistently throughout the scriptures, the Lord has condemned violations of the law of chastity, including homosexual behavior."

Then there are the many denunciations of homosexual sin made by the apostle Paul in his various letters; these are canonized scriptures for the Christian world, though many have sought to discount or dismiss them.

• Lilly Munster , 00
    May 23, 2019 4:12 p.m.

It is revealing and very sad to see that the most likes on this article are from those who continue to demonize, shame and condemn LGBTQ Americans. They recommend that they stay in their sham marriages, just shut up, and stop attacking "God, nature, religion and the family." Actually, millions of marriages and families are destroyed because we force people to lie, to pretend, and hide their truth. Would you want your daughter to marry a closeted gay man? Would you feel it righteous and "natural" for our sister, mother or daughter to live a lie that often ends up in an avoidable tragedy for the entire family?
    And this dilemma is absolutely NOT about "Gays versus God." Why do you think that the instance of closeted gays marrying the opposite sex, to live a life of lies, happens more frequently in conservative religions?

• Chris Norton American Fork, UT
    May 23, 2019 3:58 p.m.

I have been an active member of the LDS Church for over 30 years now. My views on LGBT issues have evolved during this time. I used to feel like so many of these commenters--citing Sodom and Gomorrah, saying this was a trial just like alcoholism, being disgusted by the thoughts of gay sexual acts, etc. I can even recall saying hurtful things to people in the past----because, no matter how *they* tried to justify it with "political correctness" or "the world's ways," I KNEW that it was a SIN against God's plan, and was proud to stand up for what I KNEW. I deeply regret those things I said, and wish I could take them back.

So what changed? I got to know many gay people. And as I've gotten to know them, I have LEARNED FOR MYSELF (as we are counseled to do) a few things:

1. It is NOT a choice.
    2. It is NOT simply about "who a person wants to have sex with" any more than it is for straight couples.
    3. The "traditions of our fathers" are simply WRONG on this, as they have been on race, birth control, etc.

I've come around on this issue, and I hope more members of the Church will, too. When your eyes are opened, then you will understand WHY he needed to make this announcement.

• Ranch Here, UT
    May 23, 2019 3:54 p.m.

@Orson;

You clearly don't know your bible: (Sodomy is a term from the Dark Ages)

Ezek-16-49
    Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of
    bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did
    she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

It wasn't about sex, gay or straight, it was about how they treated others. BTW; if it had anything to do with sex, it would have been to condemn rape (i.e., the townsfolk wanted to rape the angels) -- and it would be to condemn Lot for offering his daughters to be raped instead (what father would do that!).

And since it was about how they treated others, think about how you're treating LGBT people today? Will it work out for you, in the end, do you think? Jesus promoted the golden rule - also you were told not to judge. How's that going to work out in the end? (BTW, there isn't a word about "righteous judgement" in that passage, so don't even bother trying to go there).

@4601;

"The issue becomes a non-issue."

-- As it should, and hopefully someday, will be.

@MGoodwin;

Maybe he "lied" because his church lied to him and told him he'd be "cured" if he got married.

• mornixuur Layton, UT
    May 23, 2019 3:51 p.m.

Sure are a lot of people here who took a lot of time to click on, read, and post on an article that they ostensibly "don't care" about.

I don't know about you, but I don't read articles which are of no interest to me, and I certainly don't comment on them.

Clearly you care.

• Orson2 Woods Cross, UT
    May 23, 2019 2:53 p.m.

Drew1house,
    How kind of you to give me the "unchristian" label, though it doesn't fit.

I am well aware of Nibley's interpretation. As brilliant as he was, and as well informed in ancient history, he did not speak for the church in interpreting scripture, and in this instance he stands alone. The traditional interpretation of Gen. 19 in the Church is how I have used it. (Where do you think the word "sodomy" came from?) God would not rain down fire and brimstone on a people that didn't offer you a cup of tea (or even hot chocolate), but would do so on the unrepentant indulging in gross immorality, like he did similarly when he destroyed many thousands of wicked Nephites and Lamanites, before his visit to the New World. The text of Genesis makes it clear what the citizens of Sodom were trying to do to Lot's family.

I am also well aware of Bro. Ballard's teachings given at BYU. But he was not talking about activists that post coming out videos and get much resultant media attention, as they break up what once had the potential to become a Celestial family.

I have far more sympathy for the wife and kids, who must now pick up the pieces and move forward the best they can.

• Drew1house PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    May 23, 2019 12:53 p.m.

The reason Commissioner Ivie has to "come out" in this day and age is that if he did not, and got divorced and started dating a man it would be in the news. Better to get it done and over with and let the news be old news.

To the unchristian "God's Law, Sodom and Gomorrah" guy... Hugh Nibley, if you are LDS specifically taught that the sin there was a lack of hospitality, not being gay. A year ago Elder Ballard said this at BYU about how we have treated our LGBT members. (We also need to remember that when he got married the Church instructed Gays to get straight married. President Hinkley stopped that and recognized that they are born gay.)

“I want anyone who is a member of the Church who is gay or lesbian to know I believe you have a place in the kingdom and I recognize that sometimes it may be difficult for you to see where you fit in the Lord’s Church, but you do.

We need to listen to and understand what our LGBT brothers and sisters are feeling and experiencing. Certainly, we must do better than we have done in the past so that all members feel they have a spiritual home where their brothers and sisters love them and where they have a place to worship and serve the Lord.”

• sashabill , CA
    May 23, 2019 11:53 a.m.

My definition of marriage is in accord with the standards of my (LDS) faith. At the same time, in my interactions with members of the LGBT community, I endeavor to follow the principles of peace on earth, and goodwill toward men. Outside of that, my general manner of behavior is to leave them alone.

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2019 10:32 a.m.

BlueMoonOden

"A persons sexual orientation is really no one else's business."

Unless religion gets involved, then it's their business as to what others are or do.

SAS - Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2019 4:25 p.m.
    @PMSmith "I get tired of hearing people "come out"

"Me too! People should keep their sexuality private, rather than parading it around for everyone to see!"

Most often it is pressure from a culture or religion that use the sexuality as a threat to that person, so it's best they take the thunder away from someone that could compromise them.

Dasay - Farmington, UT
    May 22, 2019 4:38 p.m.
    "Having the most amazing sympathy! Oh, for his poor wife. How devastating to her world. Can’t quite get my head around why it’s so important for him to disclose his thing!"

I can imagine that it's his religion and culture that forced him to marry a women, to show he was "straight." That's what ruined 2 or more lives.

Maybe he just needs to be forced into "conversion therapy" like so many before him. That works well doesn't it?

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2019 9:59 a.m.

That's nice, but I would neither vote for or against this person on the basis of sexual preferences. The issue becomes a non-issue.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    May 23, 2019 9:56 a.m.

Lagomorph - "For those who wonder why it was necessary for Commissioner Ivie to come out, please note the juxtaposition of this article with another a few inches away in the same edition of this paper where the Senate confirmed a federal judge who supported Prop 8. It was not gays who asked society to call them out as different, it was the heteronormative majority who did. It was the hetero majority who defined the LGBT crowd as Different, Other, and Inferior and who enforced this status with discriminatory laws and policies like Prop 8 and Utah’s Amendment 3..."

Perfectly stated!

Well done!

• Hugh1 , 00
    May 23, 2019 9:43 a.m.

@Uteofferouus - Salt Lake City, UT "However, when one group constantly gripes about the rest of us, constantly protests and calls attention to themselves it gets old and that does not help to reduce our prejudices either."
    I am gay, always have been. We just had our 45th anniversary, and 5th year legal anniversary. The reason for the 40 year gap? Explicit discrimination and a subtle, back-of-the-bus implicit discrimination: there was shunning in high school, friendships denied, lack of employment networks. Then there was discrimination in strange and unexpected places: life insurance, doctor and dentist, hotel rooms, and zoning laws against two unrelated people sharing a residence. My greatest resource has always been my marriage and our commitment.
    Hope, love, commitment, and inner strength - not resentment - go a long way to overcome the isolation and loneliness of accepting that you are LGBT. The positive comments on the DN forum about Commissioner Nathan Ivie are encouraging, that things do get better. Finally, his wife and children deserve good lives - they are good people.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    May 23, 2019 9:43 a.m.

Neither being gay, transgendered, or heterosexual is much of an accomplishment.

You are who you are. After that, what matters is what you do in this life.

It's no longer considered "news" and I wish we would react to it that way.

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2019 9:35 a.m.

For those who wonder why it was necessary for Commissioner Ivie to come out, please note the juxtaposition of this article with another a few inches away in the same edition of this paper where the Senate confirmed a federal judge who supported Prop 8. It was not gays who asked society to call them out as different, it was the heteronormative majority who did. It was the hetero majority who defined the LGBT crowd as Different, Other, and Inferior and who enforced this status with discriminatory laws and policies like Prop 8 and Utah’s Amendment 3. Had the hetero majority simply taken a live and let live attitude from the outset, treated gays as equals, and left them alone, then there would be no need for coming out because sexual orientation wouldn’t matter any more than one’s blood type or favorite sports team, just one more personal trait of limited interest (has anyone felt a need to announce, “I’m AB negative”?). If you are straight and annoyed by gays coming out publicly, it is your own chickens coming home to roost. You made it a thing by separating gays in the first place.

• Orson Woods Cross, UT
    May 23, 2019 9:26 a.m.

Ranch,
    Your reasoning is flawed. There is a huge difference between minor ssa pda that few notice, and political facebook posts/videos, accompanied by high-profile news stories in the SL area dailies. Major notice/attention vs little to none. So that doesn't wash.

But let's try a hypothetical scenario where your reasoning might be clearer: if we all lived in Sodom and Gomorrah. In this case, the heterosexual public displays of affection would be seen by the homosexual majority as undesirable or repulsive, instead of the other way around.

The only problem with this hypothetical scenario is that God nuked those cities with fire and brimstone, for the very reasons you can read about, as set forth in Genesis 19 (esp. v. 24).

Not a very good hypothetical scenario....

• reriding Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2019 9:17 a.m.

Orson and all the others who wonder about public announcements, I wonder how many of you have stood up in testimony meeting to bear your testimony, something which really ought to be private between you and your god?

• FT salt lake city, UT
    May 23, 2019 8:09 a.m.

@uteofferus

And if blacks would have just kept going to back of the bus and given up their seats, instead of having all those ridiculous protests and marches, Congress would have eventually passed the civil rights act.

I happen to disagree, the only way to get rid of discrimination and prejudice is to publicly expose it for the hatred it is. It should make decent people feel uncomfortable about having to hear about it. That's the point.

• Betcha Waltham, MA
    May 23, 2019 7:43 a.m.

My heart aches for his wife and his children,,, I sure hope all this hoopla makes him feel better, because he just ruined the lives of 3 other people...

Just because someone says they are gay, will not change any problems in their life, and will not change who they are... He was elected to do a job, DO IT!!

• Ranch Here, UT
    May 23, 2019 7:26 a.m.

@Orson;

"I don't announce such things, why should other people?"

-- Every time you hold your spouse's hand in public you "announce" your sexual orientation. Every time you talk about "my wife and I, or my husband and I", you "announce" your sexual orientation. You're just so use to it that you don't even notice.

My husband and I have been together for over 20 years. We never hold hands, when we talk about our lives at work it's always the generic "we ..." rather than "my husband and I". We're so use to being circumspect that it's 2nd nature now, but every time I've changed jobs, or meet new people, I get questions like "what does your wife do" or "how many kids do you have"; I have to "come out" over and over again - or try to avoid those conversations altogether. It's actually a bit tiring.

@Uteofferouus;

When your group stops passing laws and discriminating against us, maybe we'll stop complaining about it.

• JMOpinion Orem, UT
    May 23, 2019 4:19 a.m.

Are his policy beliefs still the same? Will he continue to fulfill his campaign promises and act in his position as commissioner as he did before? That’s all I need to know.

• Jack.. B...Nimble Ogden, UT
    May 23, 2019 1:13 a.m.

Don’t Care - Why Tell?

Other commenters have said this or that as the reason(s) why, but Ok, he’s made the big announcement and....crickets...

All of yesterday’s reasons are ... yesterday.

I do feel sorry for his family - there apparently was a lack of candor and/or understanding. I wish them the best

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2019 8:59 p.m.

"there is a growing recognition, even in Utah County, that LGBT individuals are integral members of our families and our communities and that they deserve love and support from their fellow citizens."

Funny that this says "even in Utah County" and yet a bunch of posters on this board don't get why he had to do it publicly. He's trying to help all those out there who may be secretly suffering by those who don't believe the statement above. It's way past time for change and I for one am glad to see this man be open and public about his situation, providing courage to others who may not feel they can go on.

• Rita B Herriman, UT
    May 22, 2019 8:08 p.m.

To all the people complaining that they can't see why he needed to make a big announcement - did you even read the article? He gave a number of VERY good reasons for coming out in this way. I was touched by his empathy for all of the other young people who are going through what he went through. I have had gay friends who wanted to die. If these public coming-outs can prevent suicides and help young gay people feel more at home in this world, then I approve!

• CarolinaMan Charlotte, NC
    May 22, 2019 7:57 p.m.

Good for you Mr. Ivie, it’s not an easy thing to do to stand up and announce you’re different! I hope for the day it won’t be necessary, but until LGBTQ people can not be kicked out of housing, fired from their employment, and the suicide rate among LGBTQ youth declines (especially in Utah) it seems to be a necessary evil. If it weren’t for people like you and others who live their lives openly it would still be impersonal for many people and easier to forget our LGBTQ brothers and sisters. So good luck to you and your family on your journey!

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 22, 2019 6:19 p.m.

I fail to see why this required a public announcement. This is a personal matter that is between him and his family. There's no reason why the rest of us needed to be informed. I wish him and his family the best in their future challenges.

• Tudedude Heber City, UT
    May 22, 2019 5:58 p.m.

Wow. That is all I can say.
    Good for Mr. Ivie. I wish him all the best.

• Uteofferouus Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2019 4:59 p.m.

@FT - salt lake city, UT

You made the following point as a retort to another's comment who said: "Just try to act like a decent human being and you'll be fine."

You said to that: "Unless you want somebody to bake you a cake or ask for the same rights hetrosexuals have. Then you might be trampling on someone's religious right to be prejudicial".

You know, the fact is that homosexuals are different than heterosexuals in some important ways. If we try to pretend there are no differences we simply are not being honest or real. Yes, some people will be prejudicial because we view homosexuality as not being totally natural in it's sexual expression (e.g., it is counter anatomical and counter physiological) and in some other ways. So, yes prejudicial attitudes and thoughts do exist in life, they always have and they always will.

Given that fact, the best policy is to be kind and considerate to everyone (despite their differences). However, when one group constantly gripes about the rest of us, constantly protests and calls attention to themselves it gets old and that does not help to reduce our prejudices either.

• dski Herriman, UT
    May 22, 2019 4:50 p.m.

Ability counts, not sexual orientation. Okay, he is gay, so what? Gay folks have been elected to public office before. Why didn't he disclose that before the election? I vote for those whom I think they can do the job, regardless of their gender or sexual orientation. Integrity is an issue.

• Dasay Farmington, UT
    May 22, 2019 4:38 p.m.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 22, 2019 4:26 p.m.

@BlueMoonOden

"Coming out" is about saving lives. Watch his video. He simply doesn't want others to go through the pain he suffered because of his sexual orientation. Its an act of courage and caring.

• SAS Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2019 4:25 p.m.

@PMSmith "I get tired of hearing people "come out"

For instance, I'm sick of seeing all the heterosexuals telling us how straight they are. They make a big deal of their relationships, by sending out wedding announcements, personal ads, and holding high-school dances. They publish romance novels, soap operas, and even board games in which teen girls pretend to go on dates with young men. They even think it's normal and natural to show up as couples to things like parent-teacher conferences. Can't they keep their sexuality out of the sight of our innocent and vulnerable young children, instead of constantly telling us who they are?

• InMyOpinionAlso sandy, UT
    May 22, 2019 4:16 p.m.

Why is this news? I don't care about the details of someone's sex life unless they are doing something illegal. Just do the job you were elected to do.

• durwood kirby , 00
    May 22, 2019 4:05 p.m.

This guy has a track record of governance. Will his future be judged by his constituents on that, or on his announcement? The answer to that question will say more about the citizens of Utah County than it will about him.

• Orson Woods Cross, UT
    May 22, 2019 3:49 p.m.

I liked Robert Osborn, the late host of Turner Classic Movies. It didn't come out until after he was dead that he was gay. He kept his personal attractions to himself and didn't impose them on others or become an activist trying to convert the world to LGBT whatever.

He did his job professionally; introduced movies with interesting information, and that was it. He didn't have a need to announce who he was attracted to, to the world. Let's stop with this public media spectacle stuff. The activism is getting repetitive, tired, and very unnecessary.

• PMSmith SANDY, UT
    May 22, 2019 3:38 p.m.

I get the "get fired", "lose my job" etc, etc. The fact still remains for me - these are issues that need to be debated and fixed, coming out gay does not change that. Again my comment stands, if you do your job as a commissioner you can help all of this wither you're gay, straight, crooked, bent, whatever. No just go do your job.

My second take

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    May 22, 2019 3:37 p.m.

His message was honest, courageous, heartfelt, and healing, but I'm not understanding why 'haters' enters this message. Correct, love and hate cannot exist together. But, love and law can. Christ said: 'If ye love me, keep my commandments.' The attempt to add God's laws to the conversation is not to be interpreted as hate.

• BlueMoonOden Hinckley, IL
    May 22, 2019 3:36 p.m.

PMSmith - SANDY, UT
    May 22, 2019 2:00 p.m.
    Who cares that you're Gay - just go do your job!

I get tired of hearing people "come out" - The BYU student for example - who cares anymore? Just try to act like a decent human being and you'll be fine.

I have to agree. My only brother is Gay but he never made a big deal over it. He came out while attending the University of Iowa in the 80s. He quietly told his friends and family but never felt like he needed to push it anyones face. My late Grandfather was also Gay, though he had to hide it for so much of his life. He freely acknowledged it about the same time as my brother did but again never forced it on anyone. A persons sexual orientation is really no one else's business.

• Orson Woods Cross, UT
    May 22, 2019 3:13 p.m.

PMSmith,
    I'm with you. Why is who this fellow is attracted to news?

Why do people keep having to announce that kind of thing to the world. I don't announce such things, why should other people?

• FT salt lake city, UT
    May 22, 2019 3:10 p.m.

@PMSmith
    "Just try to act like a decent human being and you'll be fine."
    Unless you want somebody to bake you a cake or ask for the same rights hetrosexuals have. Then you might be trampling on someone's religious right to be prejudicial.

• The Dark Knight Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2019 3:09 p.m.

When it comes to the effect on his family, the blame for that should go to aspects of our culture that encourage people to enter marriages that are unhappy, unfulfilling and unhealthy for to all involved.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    May 22, 2019 3:09 p.m.

@lost

"if we’re not supposed to make a big deal about someone’s sexual preference, why do they?"

Because you want to be able to fire him from his job, evict him from his apartment, take his children from him, refuse to treat him in the ER, and refuse his children to public schools. These are all laws rthat have been either brought up or passed in Utah, Idaho, and other states. If it did not matter then you are right, there would be no reason to bring it up. But it does matter, as long as people continue to try to hurt those who are gay.

• The Dark Knight Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2019 3:06 p.m.

I hope that he will be treated with the kindness and respect he deserves.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    May 22, 2019 2:42 p.m.

"lost in DC - West Jordan, UT
    May 22, 2019 1:36 p.m.
    You know, if we’re not supposed to make a big deal about someone’s sexual preference, why do they?"

I can think of a few reasons,but the number one is the possibility that other politicians or political enemies had proof and were going to hold it over his head or release the info. Especially in Utah County. I know it's sad in this day and age, but it happens.

• Yar Springville, UT
    May 22, 2019 2:24 p.m.

Mr. Ivie, me and the people in Utah salute you for your job well done and your courage and bravery! I may not know who you are or what you are going through, but I will say that I am proud of you! You represent our values and our lovely community we live in! And whatever life you live, it will be yours and yours alone, not someone else's. Quite frankly, I think we need more people like you to represent us! Keep being awesome!

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2019 2:09 p.m.

Good for him. Accepting ourselves is often the first step to a healthier, more loving life.

• PMSmith SANDY, UT
    May 22, 2019 2:00 p.m.

Who cares that you're Gay - just go do your job!

That's my take,

• Culture Warrior Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2019 1:56 p.m.

I predict we'll see a lot of "I don't have a problem with his orientation but why would be make a big deal of it and talk about it in this venue/way/platform/setting/context" here in the comments.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    May 22, 2019 1:53 p.m.

We've come a long way in our society when you hear the GOP's state leader publically offer support. It's only a handful of religions and a few elected leaders that still have prejudice and bias against one sexuality.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    May 22, 2019 1:36 p.m.

I hope his soon-to-be ex wife and kids will OK. I hope there is still familial affection between them all despite what some could see as betrayal, and there may even be some feelings of betrayal. I hope not. I do not know their dynamics and hope I do not sound judgmental – just hope they can live normal, happy and productive lives.

• ECR Burke, VA
    May 22, 2019 1:34 p.m.

Kudos to Commissioner Ivie for stating the simple truth that will liberate his life. Being gay is not a perversion, it is a reality of life. And the sooner we all accept that, the sooner we can all find common ground and get on with solving important human issues in the world. And those of us whose religious beliefs might challenge the notion that being gay is acceptable to God will just have to deal with it. We are all sins and daughters of a living God and in His love, He has presented challenges to each of us to see how we will react to the world around us. So how do you think we’re doing so far?

• Linda Mason SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 22, 2019 1:33 p.m.

That took a lot of courage. Wishing this family understanding, love, and support as they transition to a new normal.