President Nelson meets New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, says church will donate to mosques

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    June 12, 2019 7:30 a.m.

And back to the ambiguous statement. How much and when?

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    May 25, 2019 7:50 a.m.

Let's be clear. She is not "one of our own". She is not a "member" of the Church. She is not merely "inactive".

She absolutely and publically apostatized from the Church, resigning her membership, canceling her status and "blessings", renouncing its teachings and its "truths", and outwardly expressed a form of atheism.

She is a great example of an intelligent, compassionate, thoughtful, strong leader who has my respect and admiration for her political, social, as well as religious views.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    May 25, 2019 7:42 a.m.

NoNamesAccepted - "I think President Nelson sets a great example pf civility in finding areas of commonality and agreement. Rather than harping on areas of disagreement, he graciously focuses on areas of shared goodness...

Those who would use Pres. Nelson's words as a cudgel against their opponents should instead use his words as a mirror into their own conduct and words. Try finding something nice to say about those whose views differ from your own."

Indeed, what a complete turn around it would be if you practiced what you just preached.

• gillman#42 Mapleton, UT
    May 25, 2019 12:34 a.m.

@KamUte

“This woman is not a great leader in NZ and not well liked. Pushing socialism in NZ.”

Next time get your facts right. I have a lot of friends from NZ who believe that she is the greatest world leader. You can’t just assume that people in her home country don’t like her because that’s completely opposite. She’s doing what is best for her great country.

• China is Spying ,
    May 21, 2019 4:49 p.m.

Christianity is the most persecuted faith in the world. When will the church donate to one of the several places in the world where a genocide against Christians is taking place?

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    May 21, 2019 2:08 p.m.

Maybe, after meeting the Prophet, she'll read the Book of Mormon, repent, get married, come back to Church and give her countrymen back their semi-auto rifles so they can defend themselves from the Chinese when they decide to "expand" their borders beyond just making islands in the Sea of Japan.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2019 10:57 a.m.

@Kug
    "More than a bit concerning that the leader of the LDS church would cite as a 'great leader the world needs more of' to be one who has left the church, supports gay marriage, would be against the 2nd Amendment if she lived here and stands for just about anything LDS people don't?"

Well our nations' leader sure doesn't represent pretty much anything LDS people do, that's why this state put in a strong showing for a third party candidate while 3rd party support was pretty low nationally.

• sugarlaw Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2019 10:54 a.m.

@Reasonable Mormon. It's a very salient point - she's a former mormon. He presented her with a Book of Mormon - like she doesn't know what it is? Nelson is there to evangelize - ostensibly to build up the kingdom and spread the word. She's a member of Nelson's church. It's THE relevant fact of the story. She's not just any other world leader . . . she's the only head of state that is/was Mormon. Her uncle is apparently a GA. She's one of our own (Mormon). It's not gossipy. It's relevant.

• Deej Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2019 10:27 a.m.

What a nice gesture by President Nelson. That's what a follower of Christ would (and should) do, and I commend him for it.

It's too bad that some can't seem to recognize a good deed without airing their own grievances and political biases.

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    May 21, 2019 6:28 a.m.

"She took assault rifles off the streets after the mosque shooting. If that's socialism, sign me up for more socialism!"

I wonder if Venezuelans would agree with you. After all, both gun control and socialism have worked out so...well, we've seen the result of that, haven't we?

• DarthMaul Vernal, UT
    May 21, 2019 2:45 a.m.

@Rockyrd - Gilbert, AZ
    May 20, 2019 4:10 p.m.
    "Those who criticize Prime Minister Arden can only view a "great leader" as being one who conforms to their own political beliefs. There are a variety of political systems in the world. If New Zealand's works for that country, more power to them. It doesn't mean it could or should work here. Great leaders can and do come from different political systems. Also, because Arden has renounced her membership in the Church doesn't mean she is unable to be a fine leader."

Well said and well put.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    May 20, 2019 8:35 p.m.

@Sandyterry,

Yeah, felt like he was perhaps overly gracious to a woman who is an opponent to much of what the church stands for. Don’t get me wrong he should be gracious, respectful and complimentary, but it’s a fine line. That line gets thinner for me because I find it rather scary how quickly this women banned all semi-automatic weapons in a country where violence is quite rare. That’s nothing to say about the freedom of speech relating to the shooters manifesto. I suppose the NZ laws are partly to blame, but a rash reaction says to me that this is either an unwise person or a politician vying for power.

I feel our freedoms are sacred. Painted in the best light, this woman sacrificed freedoms for a very marginal gain in safety (assuming it actually accomplished that) that’s not what I would call a great leader.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    May 20, 2019 7:35 p.m.

I think President Nelson sets a great example pf civility in finding areas of commonality and agreement. Rather than harping on areas of disagreement, he graciously focuses on areas of shared goodness. This does not diminish his conviction in his own beliefs at all.

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    May 20, 2019 4:10 p.m.

• Nunn24 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2019 4:01 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug

"Are you FoxNews/Trump supporters saying you would prefer Trump and his ideology to that of Pres. Nelson?"

First of all, I don't have Fox News Channel. (So much for Leftist Playbook talking/mocking point #1)

Secondly, I will worship God, only -- not any man.

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

"Trust not in the arm of flesh."

• sandyterry Washington, UT
    May 20, 2019 1:33 p.m.

@I-am-I,
    "I hope President Nelson is just being ambassadorial."

Are you talking about something Pres. Nelson said or did you believe isn't church doctrine?

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    May 20, 2019 1:06 p.m.

I hope President Nelson is just being ambassadorial.

• Liberal Mormon Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2019 1:06 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug People ALWAYS choose their political beliefs over their faith. Then they twist and pervert their faith to fit those political beliefs so they can feel like those beliefs are somehow more than their opinion, imbued with certainty, and the hunger to enforce those "truths" on others.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    May 20, 2019 1:03 p.m.

I commend Russ Nelson for trying to be nice. I wanna see the exact donation amount to mosques in the NY Times or New Zealand newspapers.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 20, 2019 12:46 p.m.

@Bluto

"Hey Timid Sparrow

Give it a rest.
    Follow President Nelsons example."

Follow President Nelson's example? Such as not calling people names?

In case reading comprehension is eluding you, I'm defending President Nelson and the Church here.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 20, 2019 12:13 p.m.

Hey Timid Sparrow

Give it a rest.
    Follow President Nelsons example.

• Frank Montoya Jr Providence, UT
    May 20, 2019 11:46 a.m.

The slurs on Muslims in these posts relative to "Jizya" and "Sharia Law" in general need to stop. I've been around this crazy world and was always treated with respect because I was an American. Sure, there were excesses and extremes in every country I went to, but that just made me prouder to be an American because we did not indulge in those kinds of excesses and extremes. Or so I thought. The misinformation I've read from a couple of the posters here isn't only a mimicry of those excesses and extremes, but decidedly un-American. This is the land of the free and the home of the brave because we're able to overcome petty human prejudices and out of the many make a great whole. That should include embrace of our Muslim friends. The many I got to know as a senior leader in the FBI are proud to be Americans and grateful to participate in the American dream. I've also been to New Zealand and can tell you the Muslims there won't think of the church's contribution as anything other than an offer of love from one great religion to another. They certainly won't think us inferior. And if ISIS does, who cares. ISIS isn't Islam.

• cookie monster Madison, MS
    May 20, 2019 11:37 a.m.

Not every time a prophet speaks is he speaking for the Lord. I think President Nelson was was merely being cordial when he said she was a great leader as her views do not jive with the doctrine of Christ. She is pro abortion, a socialist, anti-free speech, and pro-gay marriage.

Yes, you can look up her stances on all of these. New Zealand under her leadership passed a law that makes it criminal with 14 years in jail for sharing the shooters manifesto.....that is troubling if you want a free society.

I personally don't think any of these mentioned stances coincide with the Doctrine of Christ and I don't think President Nelson does either; but he's not going to call her out on these things in front of the media either. So all who think his visit and compliment is a sign that the church is endorsing any of the above, you are sadly mistaken.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 20, 2019 11:30 a.m.

@pakundo

"By making these "Contributions", the LDS Church is now considered inferior to Islam in the eyes of Muslims worldwide."

Quick...you'd better get on the phone with the Church Office Building right now and let them know they've made a terrible mistake! That army of people at Church headquarters with Ph.D.s in Religious Studies clearly does not understand what they are doing and how to advise Church leaders on how to interact with other faiths. Their only hope is that you will show them the error of their ways!

• Husker2 , 00
    May 20, 2019 10:57 a.m.

I have traveled to countries whose legal system (Sharia Law) is based on the Koran. These countries make the KKK look like Boy Scouts. They justify the torture and killing of anyone "different"- Christians, Mormons, homosexuals, etc. President Nelson may see the donation as an act of kindness but the post above by pakundo is correct, Muslims will see this as an act of weakness and subservience.

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    May 20, 2019 10:42 a.m.

It seems that some of the "conservative" people commenting on this article are having a hard time with President Nelson being complementary to a political figure who represents the Labour Party in New Zealand. Is there a message here for Utah politics?

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 20, 2019 10:39 a.m.

It's sad to see that some of you would rather cling to your ideas of PM Ardern being a 'bad Socialist', for her efforts to be multicultural, inclusive and taking action against assault rifles and extremism, etc. over what Pres. Nelson said which is clearly supporting her as the 'Ideal Leader'.

Wow. I never thought I'd see people choose their political beliefs over their faith.

• Edgar Samaria, ID
    May 20, 2019 10:24 a.m.

""She's courageous," he said, adding, "The world will discover they've got a real leader here. It's an unlikely scenario, a young mother leading a great nation, a peacemaker, a policymaker, a consensus-builder. We're very confident she'll have a great future.""

It sounds like President Nelson is laying out the criteria we should all be looking for when choosing leaders.

• Jimbo Low PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    May 20, 2019 9:55 a.m.

@Rockyrd:
    "If Islam was the evil religion some claim it to be, why would the Chruch (sic) be donating money to help with the Mosque?"
    I think most reasonable people make a bright distinction between Islam and terrorists. I have never heard a church leader criticize Muslims as a group as we look for common ground with all people of faith. The church donating to Catholic charities is a good example.
    I think this was a great mission of goodwill and President Nelson finds a way to reach out to all of God's children.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    May 20, 2019 9:45 a.m.

@sugarlaw
    The $64,000 question is WHY she left the church.

But, this is a religion reporter in the Faith section of a local newspaper. It only looks like real news. It is coverage of a church leader making a state visit. We ought not read into this anything more.

The church has no business meddling in US policy regarding social media and free expression. Nor do they have a part in Islamic affairs. They are free to opine on both issues, and do so as globalists, but not Americans.

Why are people getting worked up over a photo-op?

• VA Saint Colonial Heights, VA
    May 20, 2019 9:44 a.m.

Well done for the Church to donate to the mosques.

I would also love to see the Church donate to the dozens of Christian Churches in France that have been burned, vandalized, and destroyed, as well as the Christian Churches in Africa that have also been burned, vandalized, firebombed, and destroyed, as well as their members killed.

• Reasonable Mormon Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2019 9:24 a.m.

@sugarlaw, Shaming a seasoned veteran reporter for being...professional and not leading with the gossipy bit? Hmmmm. You might consider that what you think should be front and center is just not the most interesting part of the story. Hardly even the point, really. So perhaps it found its very tangential contextual mention at exactly the right place. It wouldn't have been even a big deal had Tad left this factoid out entirely. It's just so completely not the point of the meeting.

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    May 20, 2019 9:21 a.m.

If Islam was the evil religion some claim it to be, why would the Chruch be donating money to help with the Mosque?

• sugarlaw Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2019 8:47 a.m.

Gee Tad, took you long enough to casually mention that she's no longer a practicing Mormon. Almost like you wanted to hide this fact.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 20, 2019 8:46 a.m.

@KamUte

"This woman is not a great leader in NZ and not well liked. Pushing socialism in NZ."

Haha nice try.

Newshub headline April 15, 2019: "Poll reveals Jacinda Ardern is more popular than ever"

As far as "pushing socialism" goes, I assume you're referring to the part where she took assault rifles off the streets after the mosque shooting. If that's socialism, sign me up for more socialism!

• Not another naysayer Lehi, UT
    May 20, 2019 8:03 a.m.

President Nelson is amazing. What man twenty years his younger can keep up this pace?

• Malihini Northern, UT
    May 20, 2019 7:59 a.m.

I agree that Jacinda Arden seems to be a great leader. Congratulations to her in acting so quickly to pass a ban on assault weapons following the tragedy at those Mosques. I also think it is great that the church is reaching out and offering assistance and support to the muslim community. I'm not sure if the church offered any type of statement following those shootings, I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything and I was disappointed that they did not. Maybe they are making up for it now with this tangible action. Good for them. Muslim's and Mormons have much in common, they both do much good and stand for virtuous principles, and it would be well for us to understand that as it would be well for all of us to appreciate the diversity of this world and learn to love one another and live in peace.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 20, 2019 7:43 a.m.

• Shuzzie53 , 00
    May 20, 2019 1:19 a.m.

Maybe one day Sister Ardern will find her way back to the flock.

• Anne Puna Australia, 00
    May 20, 2019 1:16 a.m.

Thanks Tad. Wonderful article 🙌

• Chungman St George, UT
    May 20, 2019 12:14 a.m.

Jacinda Arden is a world class leader and I believe that it was fitting for President Nelson to meet with the Prime Minister. Also kudos to the Church for helping out with the Mosques that were damaged in that horrific shooting. I am not sure though why President Nelson would give the Prime Minister a Book of Mormon as she is already quite familiar with that book. Prime Minister Arden who is now agnostic, renounced the LDS church in her twenties over the Church's position on gays.