Church News: Pacific tour — As religion declines in Australia, President Nelson speaks on Book of Mormon, happiness

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    May 21, 2019 8:21 a.m.

>>Really? Do they walk up to you on the street? Do they knock on your door?

No, but it happens online all the time these days. Any person of faith who routinely peruses the comments of almost any article from the DN "Faith" section has witnessed it.

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2019 10:26 a.m.

BooBoo said:

"@Hutterite

I get accosted by atheists all the time, everywhere, telling me I'm nothing more than an idiotic rube for aligning myself with organized religion."

Really? Do they walk up to you on the street? Do they knock on your door? Were they wearing name tags? How do they know that you 'align yourself with organized religion'? Do they ever burn you at the stake for blasphemy or being a heretic?
    I get the feeling that thou doth protest too much and may be exaggerating on how often you are 'accosted by atheists'.

• BooBoo Orem, UT
    May 19, 2019 4:56 p.m.

@The Atheist If you know Simon, you know darn well he would have had great difficulty being admitted, or even getting a ticket, regardless of whether he actually wanted to attend or not. His notoriety precedes him.

@Semi-Pro The event was held in the International Conference Centre, which is the largest arena in downtown Sydney, with a seating capacity of 8,000. There were many LDS in the Sydney area who were not able to get tickets to the event. Not sure what criteria you're using to determine that 8,000 "doesn't seem like a lot." Compared to what?

• Chungman St George, UT
    May 19, 2019 3:33 p.m.

Never been to Australia, I would like to go there some day.

• BooBoo Orem, UT
    May 19, 2019 12:26 p.m.

@Hutterite

I get accosted by atheists all the time, everywhere, telling me I'm nothing more than an idiotic rube for aligning myself with organized religion. How is that any better than what you describe?

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    May 19, 2019 12:23 p.m.

My acquaintance, Dr. Simon Southerton, lives in Sydney area, and served as a bishop of the LDS Church down there. I wonder how he's doing and if he attended this gathering of 8,000?

Anyone know?

• Semi-PRO Brigham City, UT
    May 19, 2019 12:04 p.m.

“Addressing a capacity congregation of 8,000 members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints here in this increasingly secular city.”

8,000 doesn’t seem like a lot.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 19, 2019 10:57 a.m.

I got accosted by Krishnas in Melbourne and a scientologist on the High street in Auckland. Considering what they're all trying to sell, increasingly secular seems like a pretty good choice.