Half of Americans say they use a swimming pool as a bathtub. And that's not the worst part

The Water Quality & Health Council released findings that showed half of Americans say they use a swimming pool as a bathtub.

• Spiff Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2019 7:45 a.m.

I love soaking in the man broth of a public hot tub.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2019 3:43 p.m.

I'm headed home now to dig a hole in my backyard...it's time for my own pool!

• Puukko Orem , 00
    May 16, 2019 3:38 p.m.

And the other half use it as a toilet.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2019 11:15 a.m.

I have a feeling this is just junk science. I really doubt 40% of adults pee in the pool.

I would be more likely to believe that; if I learned the survey question was worded a bit leading such as "have you ever peed in the pool." I would believe that nearly half of adults would admit to having peed in a pool once in their lifetime (but not as adults; as this survey portrays).

As for other things; like SunDevilCoog points out; the amount of deodorant a person wears is not likely to affect the chemical balance of a commercial pool... which having to deal with documentation for commercial pools I know they get tested and adjusted very often (with some tests like for PH, 4 times per day). Even people who shower before getting in the pool, I can be certain that no one that is 0% take the time to wash off their deodorant or makeup; nor should they need to.

As for the runs; depends on the reason for having the runs. If a person has been "sick" don't go swimming; but if it was the runs from eating too much fiber... so long as you have showered and washed your heiny before hand; that is not going to spread nefarious bacteria; an hour is long enough to not have the runs anymore.

• EmmanuelGoldstein1984 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2019 9:02 a.m.

There are some 320,000,000 people in this country. You're saying that half, or 160,000,000, of them -- while struggling to just pay bills and make ends meet -- have personal swimming pools??

Is this a great country or what!

• FT salt lake city, UT
    May 16, 2019 7:46 a.m.

In many parts of the world they use their hands for toilet paper. Human's are just a short step away from beastiality so using a swimming pool to bathe is not really that far fetched.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 16, 2019 7:37 a.m.

This article is totally misleading. More than half of Americans don't even have access to a swimming pool

• SunDevilCoog West Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2019 7:16 a.m.

Did I know that deodorant interacts with chlorine in the water? -Yes. Do I wear enough deodorant to make a significant difference to the chemistry of a commercial swimming pool - No.

I'm trying to figure out if this article is meant to educate or fear-monger. It's on the fence between news and simple click-bait drama.

• dogbreath Francis, UT
    May 16, 2019 7:05 a.m.

I've had several of my kids employed as lifeguards at the community swimming pool. I quit going swimming at about that time owing to the stories they would come home and tell me about what they found in the pool and in the filters when cleaning them and what events happened to cause the pool to suddenly be shut down to swimmers. (Let your imagination be your guide, they've seen it all.) I'd rather take my chances floating down the canal on an inner tube.

• Flat foot , 00
    May 16, 2019 6:08 a.m.

I'd be more concerned about the percentage of "adults" urinating in swimming pools and the others of presumably all ages who choose to leave "logs" in the same pools. What on earth is wrong with some people. Swimming pools are not a huge communal toilet!

I think the other writer with the gate key to the HOA pool has the right idea - throw it away!

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    May 16, 2019 1:30 a.m.

Lakes which feed rivers, and a significant amount of lakes are reservoirs -- people bathe before swimming in lakes? Before going in the ocean? And yeah, this strange study and silly report aside, chlorine cleans you. It's bleach. And interestingly, because I've observed this too many times to count (youth temple trips), people may shower after doing baptisms, but rarely or never before.

The deal is skin cells still slough off immediately after bathing. Dust, as a my grandson recently informed me he learned, is largely dead skin cells from animals and people. And dust blows around pools. People wear sunscreen (we slather our children with it at infinitely high spf's) and swim in pools. As you blow out air and sputter/dribble pool water down your face, saliva is added to the mix.

This article is is for those germophobes with OCD.

• The-Antidote Highland, UT
    May 15, 2019 11:46 p.m.

I love articles like this. It just makes more room in the pool for me. It is certainly more healthy for society, that kids be in a SAFE germ free environment, playing video games.

• Skinny Skip from Ojai Ventura, CA
    May 15, 2019 10:53 p.m.

In 19 years, I've only been in my condo associations pool maybe 10 times and since my kids moved out zero times. After reading this, I'll just throw away the gate key.