Can the Utah Jazz sign an elite free agent? Here are 6 potential targets

• Farmington Fan Farmington, UT
    May 18, 2019 12:38 p.m.

I could see the Jazz targeting Bojan Bogdanovic in free agency. The Jazz could get almost $23.5 mil. in cap space by trading Korver, Bradley & its 2019 1st round pick (& cash) to Sacramento for Nemanja Bjelica in a draft day trade; by waiving Niang; & by waiving Neto. That would probably be enough to sign Bogdanovic.

The Jazz could then fill out its roster by signing Mike Muscala to its "room" mid-level exception of $4.7; by trading for Brook Lopez, who Chicago would first sign (at $4 mil.) & trade for the player Utah chose with its 2019 2nd round pick (& cash)--into the salary cap exception of almost $4 mil. created by trading Alec Burks to Cleveland for Korver; by trading Crowder plus future second round picks (& cash) to Phoenix for Kelly Oubre, Jr. (who Phoenix would first sign to a $12 mil. per year contract) in a sign & trade; by re-signing Raul Neto (at $1.6 mil.) & Thabo Sefolosha (at $2.4 mil.) to minimum NBA contracts; & by signing Marquese Chriss to a minimum NBA contract, of $1.5 mil.

2019-2020 team at total salary of $127.4:

PG: Mitchell, Exum, Neto
    SG: Ingles, O'Neale, Allen
    SF: Bogdanovic, Oubre, Sefolosha
    PF: Favors, Bjelica, Chriss
    C: Gobert, Muscala, Lopez

• oldbasketball Draper, UT
    May 17, 2019 9:35 p.m.

Rozier. All players on the Jazz are expendable except Gobert, Mitchell and O'Neale.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    May 17, 2019 1:00 p.m.

Jazz are still looking at Connolly so I am guessing they did not note Ingles diminished and aged out put this past season then his virtual disappearance in the playoffs. Jazz need experience but not geriatrics for the team.

Pack up Ingles and Exum, Favors can stay as he has figured a way to be effective in the system. Rubio gets better each year and not many players can brag of that.

Jazz need help for Rudy and Donovan and most of the bench proved to be pretty ineffective for that, so keep that in mind when and if the Jazz get a shot at someone or someone’s that can be the difference maker

• jazzfan4ever south jordan, UT
    May 16, 2019 6:29 p.m.

I'm with Brian of Ohio!

I think the Jazz should go hard after Julius Randle. He's a man with desire and still hasn't reached his prime at 24 years old. He can score down low and shoot the 3. I watched a few Pels games and he was unguardable at times.

Here's his stats for 2018-2019:
    G Min. FG% 3pt.% FT% REB AST. PTS.
    7330.652.434.473.18.7 3.1 21.4

The Jazz should make a serious push for this guy IMO.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    May 16, 2019 4:15 p.m.

Should the Jazz fail to bring in a star player, Malcolm Brogdon would be a great consolation prize and might just surprise us all by becoming an even better player on a team that needs his shooting efficiency.

2018-19 Season Stats – Per Game Averages

Ricky Rubio vs Malcolm Brogdon

27.9 – – 28.6 – – minutes played
    45.4% – – 54.5% – – 2 point shots
    31.1% – – 42.6% – – 3-point shots
    85.5% – – 92.8% – – free throws
    .5 – – 1 – – offensive rebounds
    3.1 – – 3.5 – – defensive rebounds
    6.1 – – 3.2 – – assists
    1.3 – – .7 – – steals
    2.6 – – 1.4 – – turnovers
    2.6 – – 1.6 – – personal fouls
    12.7 – – 15.6 – – points

Malcolm Brogdon is statistically a lot more efficient than Rubio in three critical categories: 2-point shots, 3-point shots, and free throws. Ricky does, however, hold the edge in assists.

*Stats courtesy Basketball-Reference.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2019 1:22 p.m.

Im my opinion, none of the 6 FAs mentioned in the article (Brogdon, Harris, Middleton, Russell, Thompson, Walker) is enough by himself to make much of a difference. I've tried to consider in terms of # of wins, WC seed, playoff round achieved, whether any of these guys would make UTA a championship contender. They don't.

Per my previous post, I don't believe shooting is the Jazz biggest issue. Neither do I believe they need to make wholesale changes. A few tweaks could make this a 60-win team. Here are four suggested upgrades to balance skill and cost.

PG rotation (Rubio, Exum, Neto, Allen)
    Korver (age and athleticism)
    Stretch Four (UTA needs one)
    Backup C (nobody pays $17M for a backup C so this assumes Favors is gone)

I like Brodgon (RFA), Ross (UFA), Gordon or Love (trade), McGee (UFA) to fill those holes. Even if those exact names aren't available, other players can provide similar capabilities.

Trade away Favors, Exum, 2019 #1, 2019 #2 for Gordon or Love.

Here would be my target roster:
    Guards: Mitchell, Brogdon, Rubio backed up by O'Neale, Neto, Allen
    Wings: Gordon, Ingles, Ross, Crowder, backed up by Niang
    Centers: Gobert, McGee, Udoh, Bradley

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2019 12:58 p.m.

Perimeter shooting is not the Jazz problem. Quit buying into the lie.

The top team in the league was SAS at 39.2%. The worst team in the league was PHO at 32.9%. The Jazz were ranked #10 at 35.6%. That was tied with HOU and better than such luminaries as MIL (35.3%), DEN (35.1%), and OKC (34.8%).

Along with percentage, the other consideration is volume. The top team in the league was HOU with 45.4 3PA per game. MIL was #2, more than 7 points lower at 38.2 3PA. The lowest volume team was SAS at 25.3 3PA. The Jazz ranked #9 at 34.0 3PA, only 0.4 behind GSW and ahead of teams like TOR (33.8), OKC (32.6), DEN (31.4), POR (30.7), and PHI (30.2).

So the Jazz are only one of only three teams, along with GSW and BOS, than ranked in the top 10 in both volume and percentage. That doesn't sound like a bad 3-pt shooting team to me.

• Marco Draper, UT
    May 16, 2019 10:10 a.m.

What about KD? It will happen.

• bemorefair , 00
    May 16, 2019 8:59 a.m.

@Brave Sir Robin

What comments? Are you referring to the comments by Kyle Korver at his exit interview calling Utah a great place with great people and perfect for families and this is a great place to be for free agents?

• BDNF St. George, UT
    May 16, 2019 8:17 a.m.

@ultragrandpa - If all they need is better shooting, I’ve got just the guy for them. YouTube “Charlie Newsome 2012” to see the greatest basketball shooter on earth. He is available and swears he can “help the Jazz out” and has the coolest nickname - Lightning Scoop Newsome.

• mdp Bountiful, UT
    May 16, 2019 8:14 a.m.

My gut feel is that the Jazz already have a budding backcourt star/shooter in Grayson Allen who might replace Rubio quite well. I really like Favors as a backup center, the Jazz need a reliable stretch 4 who can rebound, that Crowder only partially fills against smaller players.

• QDiesel SLC, UT
    May 15, 2019 9:10 p.m.

They should use this years 1st round pick and package 2 more future 1st round picks to move up in the draft if there is somebody that they like and think can make. immediate impact on the team. They will probably be good enough in the next 2 years that those future picks shouldn't come back to bite them and maybe they can find a gem in the draft with a affordable contract for years to come.

• Little Andy , 00
    May 15, 2019 9:08 p.m.

Don't know where some of you folks get their information. Rubio is a unrestricted free agent. He will sign with whom he pleases and Jazz cannot use him in a trade. Favors is ok with his role and would like to return. Look at Snyders comments about Favors. They will not let him just walk. I see them extending his contract to a three year deal. I hope Kyrie chooses the Nets and then they might not want to sign Russell. He is friends with Mitchell and would make a great backcourt. An no they will not just waive Exum. My choices would be Harris and then Russell.

• brian of ohio Kent, OH
    May 15, 2019 8:36 p.m.

Julius Randle - I like that option. He certainly has the scoring + is significantly better at the 3ball than Favors. He might fit in well with Gobert. I hear DeAngelo Russel is a real possibility too. He is good friends with Mitchell off the court and also has the same agent as Mitchell. These days friendship matters.

Like most of the commentors, I agree Favors is awesome as a person. The problem is to get a high caliber guy, we have to give up a starter - which leaves either Favors or Rubio or Ingles. I see the Jazz parting with both Rubio and Favors. simply because Rubio was hurt by the mid season trade attempt and Favors isn't happy with his minutes and role on the team. At this point draft picks are worthless if you don't get good enough to keep Mitchell. So you send 1 guy plus a 1st round for a top player on the trade market. Then you send the other guy plus a reserve for a second through trade or let them go if you can pick the other up on the market. Finally get a bench guy on Free agency. Easy right:)

Crowder is not a great shooter, but I view him almost like the Draymond Green of the Jazz. He brings a toughness to the team that they need.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 15, 2019 7:33 p.m.

Hopefully none of these FAs have been reading the headlines about Jazz fans.

• BioPowertrain Westland, MI
    May 15, 2019 7:09 p.m.

Why does everyone talk of trading Favors and never Crowder? I've never seen a bigger gunner who can't hit his shots. A 33% triple average doesn't cut it in today's game & he throws up several per game. Package Crowder Rubio & Exum for an elite player with a year left on his deal & let 'er rip!

• ultragrampa Farmington, UT
    May 15, 2019 6:39 p.m.

"I like Favors. He is a great person. I say keep Favors and let the chips fall where they will."

Agreed!!

Someone down the list said something about "a healthy Exum." What's one of those???

Jazz need shooting, that's all. Shooting. Better shooters. Can the current roster simply learn to shoot better? All they had to do was shoot 3-pointers at league-average pace and I believe they'd have beat Houston rather handily and then given Golden State - as they have done for a couple of years now - a run for their money. Better shooting = championship caliber Jazz..

• stanfunky Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2019 6:07 p.m.

Julius Randle from New Orleans has a player option, and with the team looking to draft Zion Williamson with the newly acquired #1 pick, his role will be reduced. He will likely opt out and test the market as he is highly underpaid for a 20-10 guy.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    May 15, 2019 5:24 p.m.

They won’t sign anyone of consequence

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    May 15, 2019 3:30 p.m.

Beverly is their best chance at upgrading the team. However I do like the idea of signing Terry Rozier to a contract that Boston won't want to match if Irving stays in Boston. And if Irving doesn't stay in Boston, make Boston pay to keep Rozier. A little revenge on the Hayward deal and if Boston doesn't bite, Rozier knows how to play in a system and isn't a ball hog.

• birwin Herrmian, UT
    May 15, 2019 3:22 p.m.

Unfortunately for us, elite Free Agents rarely come to Utah.

I love our current team even though they might not win it all, they are fun to watch and fun to root for. I am entertained and that is what I pay for.

• Anti Bush-Obama , 00
    May 15, 2019 3:13 p.m.

Even if they won the championship they would never be able to sign one.

• EmmanuelGoldstein1984 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2019 2:56 p.m.

Here's a list of more realistic prospects, all upcoming free agents, all very good 3-pt shooters, all likely affordable:
    T. Ross, P. Beverly, D. Collison, B. Bogdanovic, M. Brogdon, and N. Mirotic.

• MT-JazzFan Helena, MT
    May 15, 2019 2:43 p.m.

One point guard I have thought about a little bit that could be available is Terry Rozier. Curious what others think about him as a prospect? He excelled when Kyrie was out last year. He played his role this year. He has been fairly forthright in speaking out at the end of this year also. He is ambitious which I feel is a good thing as long as it stays positive. Would he be a good team guy? (and if it causes the celtics pain I am ok with that too)

I feel that Tobias Harris is the best shot for a high level player for the Jazz. From there they would need to fill the point. That will require someone at less than max. Middleton would be a good option as well.

Without question, the Jazz have to go after a serious player this off season. Then they will have to adapt with players to fill in gaps. This will be an interesting off season.

• water rocket , 00
    May 15, 2019 2:25 p.m.

Speculation is fun, for sure, but the Jazz have had great success with the draft, especially when they can trade up. Maybe Denver will make another trade with the jazz,(LOL)? The Jazz do have great chemistry right now, and messing with that is dangerous.

• brian of ohio Kent, OH
    May 15, 2019 2:21 p.m.

Out of those options, I think Thompson and Walker are the least preferable. Thompson forces Mitchell into the point which I don't know if he could do for an entire season. Walker is a high volume guy, I don't know if he makes Mitchell better or would make the Jazz into an Iso team.

Going through the history book, a great option would be someone like a Tony Parker. Someone capable of scoring and creating space through the drive, willing to pass the ball to open shooters, but also descent enough of a shooter he can hit the 3. (Basically just an upgrade of Rubio). Conley of the Grizzlies is just about that. He shoots 4 or 5 % better from 3, same assist ratio, more of a scorer, and same rebounder. The question is "is his extra salary worth the added percentage shooting and 10 points a game.

I also like trading for Mirotic. He was relegated to a role player with Milwaukee and a sign and trade with them for Favors could work out for both teams. Milwaukee might benefit from a versatile center/PW like Favors as their 6th man.

Move on from Rubio and Favors, pick up Mirotic and Conley, but to get both we likely would need a healthy productive Exum to trade.

• BR3T Ogden, UT
    May 15, 2019 12:49 p.m.

I don't care who... just get a player with high caliber scoring, complimentary with Mitchell and Gobert's playing style together. That's what I'd like to see it happening.

• goforit Provo, UT
    May 15, 2019 11:56 a.m.

I like Middleton, Harris, Thompson, but I don't see that happening. Russel doesn't seem to fit the Jazz personality. Walker might consider the Jazz, but will want the #1 option, and are the Jazz willing to push Mitchell to the second option. Brogdon, I'm not as high on as the others.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    May 15, 2019 11:15 a.m.

I think any of these six would be a great addition to the Jazz. I suspect the Jazz may also pursue someone via trade.