Morning links: Ricky Rubio opens up about free agency; Rudy Gobert says we 'witnessed the end of tanking' after draft lottery

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    May 22, 2019 10:25 a.m.

@Laxman said:
    "It seems to me that Eric Anderson is a delusional cougar. If he thinks Taysom Hill is the best player in New Orleans, he needs to wake up."

Reading Comp. 101
    Anderson said "athlete, " not "player." That implies speed, strength, agility, hand/eye coordination, etc. Maybe that's not so delusional. He just might be "woke."

• Laxman Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2019 10:10 a.m.

• Iowa Jazz Fan 2 Cedar Rapids, IA
    May 16, 2019 9:31 a.m.

I will say about Ricky that he knows how to elevate his game come playoff time, unlike Ingles, Gobert, Crowder and (unfortunately so far) Mitchell. Yes, he missed a lot of open threes. But he figured out how to penetrate the Rocket defense and score layups, and he was pretty good shooting floaters in the lane. Plus, he bothered them a lot on defense, coming up with stops and steals at opportune times.

All those assets may not be enough to get the Jazz over the first round hump. But, if he's willing to come back for a reasonable salary and maybe fewer minutes, in order to continue to play for a winning organization, I think he could contribute a lot in future playoffs.

• Prodicus Provo, UT
    May 15, 2019 3:23 p.m.

Rubio is still, despite his rough season this year, a starting-quality PG, and though he's no all-star, star PGs are hard to come by. And contrary to the armchair generals around here who say he's unwilling to work to improve his game, coaches and players around him have consistently praised his hard work, spirit, and "Jazz DNA."

But his shooting makes him a problematic fit. Though Donovan Mitchell has tons of potential, our two best players right now are Gobert and Favors, both of whom are big men with no outside shot. Having a PG who isn't hitting outside shots on the court with either one of them can cause spacing trouble in today's NBA. Having such a PG on the court with both of them can be stifling. That's why, though all three are starters, they shared the court less than 1/7 of the time this year.

Towards the end of last year it looked like he and the Jazz might've figured out how to make him an offensive contributor in our system anyways. This year that kinda fell apart.

If the Jazz fail to land a Kemba Walker type free agent, we might see Ricky back in Utah anyways. If we do, I'll continue to root for him with the rest of the team. If not, good luck wherever he lands.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    May 15, 2019 1:25 p.m.

Most players who shoot 32% from the 3 point line are referred to as centers. Seems man buns only can bring you so far in life.

• water rocket , 00
    May 15, 2019 12:02 p.m.

We have two players with two different attitudes on the Jazz team. First, there is D. Mitchell, who is good, but wants to get better, and is devoting his summer to working out. Then there I R. Rubio, who feels that he is already a top player (which he isn't) and doesn't want to improve his game. To me, any time a player thinks he is something special, and doesn't want to get better is already going in reverse. I like Rubio, but I really think his value to the team is very limited, and the cost simply isn't worth it.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    May 15, 2019 11:21 a.m.

I agree with AJCfan. Ricky Rubio is a $12-$15 million per year player and the Jazz need a floor general and another shooter or two.

• AJCfan Roy, UT
    May 15, 2019 9:51 a.m.

As the great Michael Scott once sang:

It was early morning yesterday... I was up before the dawn... and I really have enjoyed my stay... Ricky must be movin' on!

Goodbye Ricky! Goodbye Ricky!

In all seriousness though, I was hoping for improvement from him this year over last, but he actually either got worse or stayed the same in practically every statistical category. To me he seems like a top tier back up point guard, but he should not be a starting point guard in this league. He made $15M this year. If the Jazz can't find a better alternative and he's willing to re-sign for $12M or less, I'd take him back. However, after the damage done to his psyche after the trade rumors, maybe it's best to just move on.