Who do Utahns say is doing a better a job in the Senate: Mitt Romney or Mike Lee?

• Farmington Fan Farmington, UT
    May 3, 2019 2:47 p.m.

I won't know if I approve of Senator Romney or of Senator Lee until I find out if they support the nutritional supplement industry. That's a deal breaker if they don't.

• Farmington Fan Farmington, UT
    May 3, 2019 2:24 p.m.

It's obvious that those who have more centrist political views will think Romney is the better senator and those with more right leaning political views will think Lee is the better senator.

My view: What a country! Where Mike Lee (bless his heart) can become a senator.

• J2 Riverton, UT
    April 29, 2019 11:03 p.m.

Lee. Hands down.

Always true to his principles, honest, and well-versed in Constitutional law. You don't have to agree with him to respect his broad knowledge and integrity. And contrary to what many say, he actually does work across the aisle a fair amount.

Most don't noticethis, sadly, and continue to parrot the falsehood that he is a "Trump sycophant." Also, nobody apparently remembers that it took him a while to warm up to Trump. Yet he still didn't compromise his ideals in the process.

With Romney, you never know what you're going to get. Always a mixed bag. How can people rely on that in a representative?

• help america Eden, UT
    April 29, 2019 9:25 a.m.

You have to be kidding. Romney does nothing that does not put him in a light that attracts moths and democrats. Lee will do what is in the best interests of those who elected him. I find it interesting that people would even put Romney in the top of any list when it comes to doing what is right for his constituents. I voted for Romney for president but after that the wool was removed and I could see who Romney was about. Lee says what he means and means what he says without any hidden agenda.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    April 27, 2019 8:00 p.m.

I don't live in Utah now, but I read Desnews regularly. I am not extremely impressed by Lee, but the fact that he is more versed in the U.S. Constitution and following it, puts him ahead of Romney.

However, what really concerns me in the article, and poll is that the top scorer was Bernie Sanders. What an incredible joke. He represents all that is opposite to American values. He would even happily give the voted to the very worst of felons! What is wrong with us if a poll puts him in that position? I am horrified.

• wrz Springville, UT
    April 27, 2019 2:14 p.m.

@J. Smith: "Which of these men are seriously taking actions against the hacking from Russia?"

What hacking? The better assignment for the two is to define in detail what the illegal Russian hacking was. Was it manipulating voting machines? Was it putting dirt on social media against one candidate of the other. Exactly what did the Russians do?

And, by the way, Russia is not subject to US election laws. If they wanna condemn or praise a US presidential candidate they have every right to do so. We (the people as well as politicians) do it to other nation's candidates running for public office. Trump's support of Israel's Netanyaho comes to mind.

• Carolina K Raleigh, NC
    April 27, 2019 11:14 a.m.

Not a Utahn, but I tell my senators - listen to Mike Lee. Mike Lee is not a politician. He's honest. And he can be honest without tearing people apart. He can be honest and kind even in democratic territory. Love what he has done across the isle with democrats. We need more Mike Lee's that know the constitution and stand up for it in a kind way. I'm afraid my senators are going to join the club up in DC and just get rich. I'm so thankful for Senators like Mike Lee!!

• Gpagentry Orem, UT
    April 27, 2019 10:06 a.m.

Well they sure didn't ask me!

• Geo Neon Alpine, UT
    April 26, 2019 11:13 p.m.

Romney so far has shown integrity in his time in the Senate. Lee, on the other hand, has shown the opposite, and has been an enabler of Trump's many abuses of power as president. Utah deserves a lot better than that, Senator Lee.

• Abbaton Sandy, UT
    April 26, 2019 9:34 p.m.

Lee is the winner for doing the best job of protecting the best interests of Utah and the country. Romney is the winner for doing the best job of attacking President Trump and undercutting him at every turn.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    April 26, 2019 3:34 p.m.

Romney hasn't been in office long enough to do enough to make a judgement like that... We don't really know what kind of Senator he will be, so a poll at this early stage of his tenure in the Senate means very little. Since Lee has been in office long enough to produce a record of activity, which is always going to alienate some, it's only natural that Romney, who has done little-to-nothing yet -- that would turn constituents (or the nation) against him, would come out on top.

• BYUtah Fan Herriman, UT
    April 26, 2019 2:45 p.m.

This article doesn't make sense. The title talks about Utahn's opinion. But, the poll that is cited is a national poll.

• MrLogic Brigham City, UT
    April 26, 2019 2:13 p.m.

Making a deduction from the comments on these pages, many support one or the other but not both. I don't envy them - no matter what they do, they frustrate a segment of the electorate by doing it.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    April 26, 2019 2:00 p.m.

@ Impartial7
    "The GOP has lost a lot of credibility."

Have you found the Russian collusion evidence the liberals promised for the last 2+ years? ...Can you repeat that credibility thing again ?

• nat North Salt Lake, UT
    April 26, 2019 1:57 p.m.

Senator Lee claims to be a constitutional scholar, but won't use the powers given to Congress in the constitution to protect us from a lawless president. I don't approve.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    April 26, 2019 1:29 p.m.

Romney by a landslide.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 26, 2019 1:27 p.m.

I am a veteran.

Lived lived through Nixon
    I've lived through Clinton

So long as either of them keeps defending Donald Trump - over our oath to protect and defend the Constitution, our nation and the rule of law - against all enemies foreign AND domestic - I can not approve of either one of them.

• GgaryP Provo, UT
    April 26, 2019 1:16 p.m.

Senator Romney is a RINO. He has taken two opertunities (major oppertunities) to stab President Trump in the back. He is the new John McCain of republicans in the senate. He wants to be President. I wish he could be recalled.And as far as the pole, we all remember how HRC was givven a 90%+ chance of winning the 2016 general election. Poles mean nothing.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2019 12:15 p.m.

Mike Lee is doing a better job 100 times over. Romney is a democrat who fooled many utahns into believing he had their interests in mind. I sure wish there was a way to get rid of him.

• rkr1 Sandy, UT
    April 26, 2019 11:08 a.m.

Since I have yet to see Mitt Romney do anything, I will choose Senator Lee. Senator Romney reminds me of a Democrat not a Republican.

• Deej Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2019 10:35 a.m.

Yeah, it's not even close. Romney by a mile.

On the other hand, when you listen to Mike Lee and his arguments (if they can even be considered serious arguments), he's a great example that you can still have a shot at ascending the political ladder without a wit of talent or vision.

• strate taukr Bountiful, UT
    April 26, 2019 10:35 a.m.

Are Utah people listening? Mitt is a squishy RINO.

• Vin Harrisville, UT
    April 26, 2019 9:15 a.m.

FYI a 50% approval rating for a Republican senator in a conservative state isn't at all anything to brag about. That's actually pretty low.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    April 26, 2019 9:10 a.m.

It would be better without either of them. They both mostly serve self and party interest without any clear vision for a better America or peaceful world.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 26, 2019 9:09 a.m.

Polls like this are little more than a pop quiz to see what people remember from the uniformly liberal and biased media reporting.

Looks like they got a good grade parroting back the info they had been fed.

I look forward to voting for principles Sen. Lee again, and against flip-flop Romney.

• DonO Draper, UT
    April 26, 2019 8:50 a.m.

I appreciate Lee's respect for the Constitution but he is far, far too conservative and much too political for my tastes. (No, respect for the Constitution does not equate to arch-conservatism.) Romney is a statesman who will do the right thing regardless of party.

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2019 8:13 a.m.

The right wing extremists are out in force this morning. Great support for Mike Lee and Trump indicates that they are supporting heavy handed, full government control over the U.S. and higher deficits.

Whatever happened to the party of smaller government and lower taxes? It became the party of government control and uncontrolled spending and higher taxes.

Remember, Mike Lee is the one that put on the "Super Heroes" display and said that the best thing for population control is to have 8 more kids.

Great thinker that you guys support.

• Pooh Bear Bella Vista, AR
    April 26, 2019 8:12 a.m.

Dear UtahBlueDevil - he is for universal socialized medicine. Regardless of the form, it is not Constitutional, never has been, never will be. I believe he is a good man, but that is not the issue.

• Rick for Truth Provo, UT
    April 26, 2019 8:11 a.m.

Lee by far over Rinomy!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    April 26, 2019 7:41 a.m.

Senator Mike Lee, hands down, is a better Senator than Mitt Romney.

In my opinion, Romney is there for his own "moral superiority" over Trump.

Lee had problems with Trump in the beginning; they have grown to have mutual respect in all ways of the things they both bring to the table to make this country strong! Mike Lee is a Constitutional expert. We must keep this country as a Constitutional Republic, strong and free. Senator Lee keeps that on the fore-front of everything he does and says!

God bless America!

• suzcnoor Logan, UT
    April 26, 2019 7:35 a.m.

Disappointed with Mitt. He is too hung up on Trump bashing. There are plenty on that bandwagon. Be original and focus on the people and the great state of Utah that elected you because at this rate I guarantee, they will not again.

• BobP CA, 00
    April 26, 2019 7:35 a.m.

Romney's rolling over and playing dead to Obama in the presidential debates soured me totally. Romney had the opportunity to ruin both Obama and Hillary Clinton over the Benghazi fiasco. Lee is a strict constructionist and Romney is a opportunist whose political positions are as flexible was wet noodle.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    April 26, 2019 7:15 a.m.

The GOP, in general, has lost it's traditional soul.

Mike Lee means well, but has chosen to follow the lead of a person that espouses very, very few of actual GOP ideals.

While Romney is far from perfect, he at least reminds us and his party of what it meant to be a Republican a few years ago.

Tough to gauge the job they're doing because of the chaos we're living in.

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    April 26, 2019 7:03 a.m.

Romney needs to go. Perhaps he can be impeached!

He will not get my vote next time. I'd rather vote for whoever runs against him!

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    April 26, 2019 7:02 a.m.

I personally resent folks stating things like following President Trump "in goose step".

The intent is obvious. President Trump in no way is similar to Hitler in any horrid aspect.

Hitler willingly caused the death of millions of Innocents.

Donald Trump, not so much.

Can we just stop the ridiculous and totally inaccurate comparisons?

Thanks.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    April 26, 2019 6:38 a.m.

Dennis, can you share any polls with us about Evan McMullin?

You loved those a couple years ago.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    April 26, 2019 6:36 a.m.

The willingness of some reporters, who couldn’t explain polling methodology if they had to, to write articles and splash headlines with meaniglessness is one of the saddest commentaries on the modern media.

• J. Smith Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2019 6:03 a.m.

Which of these men are seriously taking actions against the hacking from Russia? Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein hit back hard against politicians and the press Thursday night, and warned that hacking and social media ma­nipu­la­tion are “only the tip of the iceberg” when it comes to Russian efforts to influence American elections.

Speaking at the Public Servants Dinner of the Armenian Bar Association, Rosenstein unleashed his sharpest critique yet of those who have attacked his handling of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigative report into Russian election interference and President Trump’s conduct.

Rosenstein’s speech, probably one of his last as a senior Justice Department official, marked his first public comments since the release of the report, and he did not hold back in discussing his tumultuous two years as the No. 2 at the Justice Department. During that time, he was castigated by both Republicans and Democrats for a variety of decisions. In the speech, Rosenstein reflected on his time on the job, spoke positively of Trump’s commitment to the rule of law and criticized the press.

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 26, 2019 5:44 a.m.

Both are very different but excellent. We have two of the best senators in the United States

• bjeanb Orem, UT
    April 26, 2019 5:20 a.m.

Both have talent and intelligence. It is easier to support the man who isn’t in awe of the president and who shows respect to colleagues. When Lee used his Aquaman seahorse stunt to publicly mock Ocasio-Cortez on the Senate floor, he diminished himself. Disagreement is fine. Mockery of opponents reduces one to the level of a junior high kid who calls people names (like “Pocahontas,” “Crooked Hillary” or “Sleepy Joe.”)

• Stout1 Cache Valley, UT
    April 26, 2019 4:22 a.m.

Mike Lee has been in the top 5% of "Most Constitutional" Senators for years! I think he's far more constitutional than Mitt Romney.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    April 26, 2019 12:48 a.m.

You're kidding me. 50% like Romney? Oh, please. He hasn't done anything worth approval.

• Hank1950 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2019 12:48 a.m.

Mitt hands down is a more respected and better Senator than Lee.
    I was really confused by Lee’s graphic on the Senate Floor when he put up a picture of babies and said they were the answer to all problems.
    Yes I understand he wants to represent himself as a family values person, but to say having more children will solve all problems I do not understand, or is he saying we should kick the can down the road and leave the problems and the ever increasing national debt for our children to worry about ? Then there were the the other weird graphics like Reagan on the velociraptor, really ?
    Then there is Mitt who is not afraid to say what he thinks and has a history of solving problems like he did when he was Governor of Massachusetts and when he took reins of The Utah Olympics. He is an honest man who dares to stand up to a President who often lacks morals and ethics. I’ve seen The Emperor and he has no clothes.
    Mitt is by far a better Senator for us.

• Neanderthal Springville, UT
    April 25, 2019 10:54 p.m.

Neither Senators are doing the job they should. A good job would be to solve the current issue plaguing the nation... our borders. Individuals are pouring over our southern borders unlawfully by the thousands each day. These people are costing the American taxpayer millions.

A good job for these Utah senators would be to vote to fund a border wall on our southern border. Then, modify our immigration laws to change 'catch and release' where illegals come here in droves because they know, if they plead asylum, they can get a court date for an immigration judge to hear their case, then they are released in the US to go wherever they wish.

• eldonp Parowan, UT
    April 25, 2019 9:41 p.m.

For all his talk about the Constitution and Founders, Lee has fallen into lock step, one might even say goose step, behind Trump, the kind of president the founders tried to protect us against. Romney, to his credit, has broken rank, not often, but notably. If Romney continues to occasionally challenge the Great Leader, the people of Utah will be both well served and grateful.

• The Meliorist CA, 00
    April 25, 2019 9:36 p.m.

Mike Lee stood up in the Senate and displayed a large picture of Ronald Reagan flying a velociraptor.

Mitt Romney stood up to a President who was caught lying and deceiving the nation.

Hmmm. Which one should I pick?

• JSB , 00
    April 25, 2019 9:26 p.m.

I've followed Romney since he ran against Kennedy for senator in Mass many years ago. I've noticed that he is decent, competent and smart. He's made some mistakes but he has learned from them. He knows how to work across the aisle. He's a great organizer; just ask anyone who worked with him on the Salt Lake Olympics. He has high standards and not a lot of respect for people of compromised ethical values. He's just the kind of man the Utah needs representing them and one of the very few people in Washington who put ethics and morality ahead of political convenience.

• AGuile Boca Raton, FL
    April 25, 2019 9:14 p.m.

I like both of Utah's senators of course. But I just moved. I am not too sure about the jokers here in Florida.

If I had to choose who I like more between Mitt and Mike, I would pick Mitt, but then I'm a bit of a centrist and I absolutely cannot stand POTUS. Since more of the nation is pretty moderate and independent, I think Mitt does the best job representing both Utah and the United States. I think Mike only really appeals to the hard-right, party-animal, caucus voters in Utah. Considering how poorly caucus winners have done in recent Utah elections, I think Mike might need to reconsider his basic strategy and move more in to the middle and call out POTUS when he is wrong.

• geekusprimus Little Elm, TX
    April 25, 2019 9:12 p.m.

Odin,

I'll agree with Rand Paul being a small-government conservative. I can't agree with Mike Lee or anyone who blindly supports Donald Trump as being a small-government conservative, particularly because Trump has done nothing nor has plans to do anything that will decrease the size of the government.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    April 25, 2019 9:08 p.m.

"Why do well known liberals and democrats feel so at liberty to declare who better represents Republicans and moderates?"

Romney and Lee represent all Utah citizens. They were not sent to just be agents and votes for the Republicans. I really expect more of some people. Neither is paid by either of the parties, and neither took an oath of office to any given party. And you questioned why I am so anti-partisan/tribalism. That is nuts.

"Romney, on the other hand, seems, in his moderate stances, to violate the Constitution frequently. "

Ok Pooh Bear - list anything that Romney has done that is that is in violation of the Constitution... anything...

The thing that Flake and Romney have in common - they are loyal to the teachings and standards of their faith above loyalty to a man. That's perfectly ok with me.

• Arkpears Bella Vista, AR
    April 25, 2019 8:59 p.m.

Mike Lee was on Glenn Beck this morning and I was impressed that when asked about his political colleagues he only said positive things even though he was opposed to their policies. I like him because he understands the principles undergridding our nation. Mitt too is a good man but too much a Rhino to my liking.

• cool47 Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 25, 2019 7:59 p.m.

I agree with the pole.

I like Senator Romney only because he has has not been cowed by President Trump.

• Odin Owns Ye All! Fountain Valley, CA
    April 25, 2019 7:39 p.m.

Mike Lee is one of only three Senators that actually care about restoring and maintaining our liberty and the extremely limited federal government explicitly laid out in the Constitution. (The other two are Ted Cruz and Rand Paul.) Mitt Romney, who seems to be a decent enough guy, is a typical member of the Big Government Party (Republicans), which ultimately differs little from the Huge Government Party (Democrats), of course.

And that's why the Republican establishment has been to brutal to Senators Lee, Cruz, and Paul. They actually have a solid track record of being a small-government, Constitutional conservative. And that rocks the boat of everyone else who wants to maintain the status quo that has been so profitable for both parties.

Actually allowing the American people to exercise their absolute rights to their own life, liberty, and property would demonstrate that we don't need Big Mother in D.C. getting involved with our lives. And there's nothing that narcissists hate more than feeling like they're not needed.

#JustSayNoToGovernmentIntervention

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    April 25, 2019 7:20 p.m.

One studied numbers and English in college, and the other studied political science, need I say more? Oh the and former was a governor on the east coast, and earned money the old fashioned way.

• worf McAllen, TX
    April 25, 2019 7:08 p.m.

Sorry! But I cannot base my opinions based on public perceptions.

Utah and our country has in the past voted in some horrible tax producing political representatives.

What has Mitt Romney done except insult our president? Why can't he provide some support, encouragement, and ideas?

• Aggielove Caldwell, ID
    April 25, 2019 6:57 p.m.

Romney? Hahaha
    If you need someone in it to win it, don’t call Mitt

• swartzy1 Weatherford, TX
    April 25, 2019 6:57 p.m.

Is it the altitude? Is it the Salt in the Air? I am not sure what it is, but I live in Texas and most of my friends down here, at a lower altitude and no salt in the air, think differently about Mitt. We don't like him much as a Politician, he is a fine member of the church, but he just doesn't do it for most of u s Texans. Too bad he didn't come down here and live before he ran. We could have helped him learn how to be a "real man" and stand up for what we think is right. It is sad to see another Senator acting like Senator Flake did. Sad Sad Sad.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    April 25, 2019 6:25 p.m.

The person following the constitution by putting it first.

Not the guy who talks about being a constitutionalist, but is little more than another trump sycophant hoping for a cushy lifetime appointment, while ignoring the constitution and embracing a man of little character and questionable morals.

Mitt is right to call out the president, Lee is shrugging his duties...again.

How can lee support a b list celebrity who is obviously more concerned with investigating why Obama has more twitter followers than running the country?

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    April 25, 2019 6:05 p.m.

As I recall, polls also said Hillary would win Trump.

• Pooh Bear Bella Vista, AR
    April 25, 2019 6:02 p.m.

Lee is a Constitutionalist and that counts for everything. Romney, on the other hand, seems, in his moderate stances, to violate the Constitution frequently. Not even close - Lee, hands down.

• Swanfam Sandy, UT
    April 25, 2019 5:36 p.m.

Disappointed in Mitt. Lee is a fantastic senator. By the way, I voted for Romney in every election I could, but hope we primary him out next election.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    April 25, 2019 5:02 p.m.

@Thomas Paine: "There is a tiny but vocal group of Tea Partiers and Ultra Right that support Lee’s antics, but Romney does a better job at representing Republicans and Moderates."

Why don't you just admit that while you'd never vote for Mitt over Obama for President, you do prefer the least conservative you can find when it comes to any elected official?

Honeslty, how many praising Mitt's performance actually voted for him over Kennedy in the general election? (Not in the GOP primary. In the general election?) How many will commit to voting for him in the next general election rather than voting for the Democrat?

• Watcher1 Sandy, UT
    April 25, 2019 4:49 p.m.

Mike Lee has been hands-down better than Mitt Romney. He studies things out before acting or commenting, he gets the respect of colleagues and constituents for his integrity, and he seems to generally be working to benefit the nation and its future. Romney seems to be working to benefit Romney, with various actions which appear to basically what he believes to be effective long-term campaigning.

• Thomas Paine South Jordan, UT
    April 25, 2019 4:42 p.m.

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    April 25, 2019 4:35 p.m.

Mitt has been very disappointing. Lee has been better than expected.

• Chessermesser West Valley City, UT
    April 25, 2019 4:34 p.m.

No one asked me or my large family, either.

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2019 3:41 p.m.

Yeah, right. No one asked me, my large family or anyone I know.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 25, 2019 3:36 p.m.

Pretty bad when, in Republican dominated Utah, neither senator scored more than 50%. Lee's overwhelming support for all things Trump, is hurting him. And rightly so. The GOP has lost a lot of credibility.