The opening of Utah's new homeless centers is about three months away. Will they be ready?

Homeless community has 'a lot of anxiety,' but shelters' owners are working to keep them informed

• barfolomew Tooele, UT
    April 22, 2019 2:18 p.m.

@ Bob Tanner

"Remember, things do not have to be perfect to be wonderful."

I'm sure that it will be neither perfect nor wonderful for the folks that live near these new shelters and their children.

Right, Capsaicin?

• Bob Tanner Price, UT
    April 22, 2019 1:35 p.m.

I must say from reading the comments that there is definitely a negative feeling towards the homeless. Having been a VISTA who was stationed at a homeless shelter and a past director the the homeless shelter in Helper, Utah...homeless people are not at all the way the general public perceives them to be. Our goal was to help the homeless get on their feet as soon as possible. We helped them find employment and save money until they could afford living on their own. Believe it or not, whenever I found day jobs for the homeless they were ready to go. The ones who didn't work had catastrophic injuries or had very little schooling. They were in the minority however. Almost all of the homeless people I worked with really wanted to be on their own if given the chance. Helping them was hugely rewarding. As far as the shelters go, I will say this for the people in Salt Lake City, I hope you will be happily surprised at the way the new shelters turn out. Remember, things do not have to be perfect to be wonderful.

• Bludosu1969 Washington, UT
    April 22, 2019 12:50 p.m.

I wish We would quit saying homeless. They are drug addicts and need treatment for addictions. I bet Close to 100% are drug addicted. That is why they are “homeless”. Focus on that and understand the why, then one by one see some rehabilitation. With what and how too fix. Some hope for their future and life with purpose is what they need. For those that wish they would just go away, get out of your way, move to another state? Hope you or your loved ones don’t get addicted. These are all children, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles. “Before the grace f God go I” have some mercy and stop the politics. It’s getting old

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    April 22, 2019 11:55 a.m.

they are always anxious when they can't bring their drugs and alcohol with them into the facility

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    April 22, 2019 10:06 a.m.

I know all of the taxpayers are breathlessly awaiting the openings. I wonder what they wastefully will spend your dollars on next, after this boondoggle?

Surely some liberal politician will come up with a guaranteed income for the homeless soon. Then they can buy the necessities of life. Need a hint as to what the necessities of life are for most (the others are insane) of the homeless? Try drugs, cigarettes and booze.

• Flipphone , 00
    April 22, 2019 8:34 a.m.

Soon the homeless "Snow birds" will be returning from their winter time locations.

• Capsaicin Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2019 4:36 a.m.

I live next to one. I "can't wait" for all the new foot traffic, dumpster diving, and neighborhood blight it brings! "Sure glad" they decided to locate the mens shelter right next to the jordan river trail. When the shelters full they'll have plenty of open space to camp! Honestly, "I love" our politicians that moved the shelters out into the neighborhoods. Keep up the good work guys!

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 21, 2019 9:23 p.m.

Good luck. Replacing a single shelter with three in separate areas having less total capacity than the one being closed is already an indication that the plans are hopelessly messed up.

For every client like Ms. Raynor, many more are incapable (due to mental illness) or unwilling (due to drug problems) to comply with structured living arrangements. They will continue to roam our streets and camping out in alleys and other areas. These are the people who are the worst problem for law abiding citizens, yet nothing is being done to send them to cities where such behavior is more tolerated.

As I said, Good luck.