Mike Huckabee slams Mitt Romney on Trump comments: It 'makes me sick' that you could have been president

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    April 25, 2019 11:36 a.m.

Also from the 2008 presidential campaign, remember these?...

Huckabee produced a TV ad which directly attacked Romney personally (not on issues) then called a press conference to tell people that he was going to take the high road and not show the ad on TV -- then he showed the ad to the reporters, and thus the nation.

One TV spot Huckabee produced had a Christmas message. In the ad, there is a white Christian cross illuminated and clearly visible behind Huckabee's head. The cross is formed by a center partition and two shelves of a bookcase, yet there are no books and shelves are removed to form the distinctive cross. People recognized it right away and asked Huckabee about it. His response was to chuckle about it and deny it was intended to look like a cross. It was just a bookcase he said. Later, in an interview with Meredith Viera, she asked if Huckabee and his team had not noticed the cross in the ad.

"Absolutely not!" was Huckabee's reply.

Huckabee has shown himself to be dishonest and as having a particular penchant toward going after Romney and this latest salvo is par for Huckabee's course.

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    April 25, 2019 11:18 a.m.

Huckabee set his own low standard of dishonesty in the 2008 presidential campaign, when his whole reason for being in the contest was to derail Romney. Remember how Romney was always the target even when McCain surged ahead. Huckabee was asked by reporters why he seemed to only be focused on Romney and all Huckabee could come up with was that Romney was late to the conservative cause. Of course, McCain was most well known as not being a conservative.

Back in 1998, as a preacher and state leader from Arkansas in his denomination, Huckabee was one of the speakers at a conference in Salt Lake City where the convention topic was "how to minister to Mormons." Yet in an interview with New York Time Magazine writer Zev Chafets, Chafets asked Huckabee about Romney's religion. Huckabee replied "I don't really know much about it" but then after a short pause added, "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?" This is a well-known and decades old dig at the LDS Church, yet when Huckabee was later asked about the comment, he claimed that he was simply asking a question of the interviewer -- because Chafets seemed like a knowledgeable guy.

• Amarillo Slim Buda, TX
    April 25, 2019 10:38 a.m.

Gas prices under Obama were mentioned in an earlier comment.

In the presidential campaign year of 2008, there was a spike in gas prices that remained above $3/gallon for 8 months. During that time both Nancy Pelosi and then-candidate Barak Obama laid blame on the Bush/Cheney administration for letting the oil companies write their own energy policies and thus line their pockets at the expense of hard-working Americans.

Before George W. Bush had left office, the price at the pump was below $2/gallon. After Obama came into office, gas prices rose again, and this time remained above $3/gallon for over 32 straight months.

I don't attach gas prices to the president.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    April 23, 2019 5:10 p.m.

@ fatherof7

"I do not condone Donald Trumps behavior..."

Definition of condone: Accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.

I can think of several things that would look like "not condoning." Merely saying the words isn't one of them.

Don't believe what they say. Believe what they do.

• fatherof7 Hurricane, UT
    April 23, 2019 11:22 a.m.

@karenR
    No I would not accept the same type of behavior from my children that I could write a book about what I do not like about Trump. Let me repeat. I do not condone Donald Trumps behavior and I won't waste space using negative adjectives to describe him. He's the president. He's not going to be impeached. We're stuck with him for at least 18 more months and probably another four years. In the meantime, if Trump can continue to dismantle the destructive transformation implemented by the prior administration I will support him and I feel my own congressmen should do as well. Can we not separate behavior from policy? Granted, if he had the social skills and character of a Ronald Reagan, Ike or even Mitt, Trumps accomplishments would, no doubt, accelerate.
    Trump' arrogance will not allow him to see how his own social ineptness prevents him from getting more done and what we've learned is that no is going to persuade him to change his behavior. In the meantime, Mitt and every other conservative legislator need to stop worrying about what they can't fix about Trump and get to the business of getting something positive done in Washington. Give me a Statesman!

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    April 22, 2019 12:37 p.m.

So you voted for Obama, Huck? I never would have guessed!

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 22, 2019 11:55 a.m.

Romney continues to flip and flop his way to fame. It's obvious the guy can't keep his lies and statements straight. I thought the people of Utah were smart enough to see through his charades but I guess some people only look at church affiliation. I am, BTW, a member too but I will never again (did it on his first Presidential run) vote for Romney in ANY political race. He's a disgrace to the people of our great state.

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    April 22, 2019 10:59 a.m.

Good job Mike. Mitt is digging a hole he may never get out of.

Mitt...are you listening to your constituency? I voted as a Republican...start acting like one!

• Bigger Bubba Herriman, UT
    April 22, 2019 9:49 a.m.

I don't like Trump personally but will vote for him because he is tough on illegal immigration. Also he is much more reasonable than Dem candidates who are so far into Looney Tunes land with their socialist and environmental policies.

• JaneB Wilsonville, OR
    April 22, 2019 9:37 a.m.

Sarah was caught in a huge lie - one of many. In this administration you check your integrity at the door. But the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree...

She basically stopped doing press conferences. It must be exhausting to lie that much.

• VA Saint Colonial Heights, VA
    April 22, 2019 9:37 a.m.

So many opinions; so few facts.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    April 22, 2019 9:23 a.m.

Daddy Huckabee is struggling with the fact that Romney called out Daughter Huckabee for her "slips of the tongue" when defending Trump. Deal with it Daddy - your Daughter is all in with Team Trump and everything that goes with it.

• Flipphone , 00
    April 22, 2019 8:50 a.m.

Democrats love Mitt Romney.

• Donald Johnson Northern, MI
    April 22, 2019 8:37 a.m.

I don't always agree with Mitt, but I do respect his willingness to speak the truth as he sees it and to advocate for a higher level of conduct.

• Silflay Katy, TX
    April 22, 2019 7:55 a.m.

@ fatherof7

Karen R. here.

"Yeah. My kids understand appropriate behavior and they live their lives accordingly."

You answered a question I didn't ask. The questions were:

I'd really appreciate hearing your response to the questions I asked.

• One of Vai's Cousins DC, Washington
    April 22, 2019 4:50 a.m.

Romney has the courage to say what the majority of Republican leadership thinks but are too frightened of Trump to actually say. 80 percent of this country are appalled by Trump’s behaviors. Even many of those who support his politics. But it is the rare Republican leader who will actually stand up against it. I’m proud of Romney for that. He can rest assured that the majority of his constituents also support his courage in doing this.

• fatherof7 Hurricane, UT
    April 22, 2019 2:36 a.m.

@Karen R.

• Mary Mc Lacey, WA
    April 22, 2019 1:24 a.m.

Funny. I feel the same way when I think that Huckabee ran for president too.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    April 22, 2019 12:26 a.m.

Interesting to see the people who bashed Romney when he was running for president suddenly turn into Romney fans. Romney just has an inferiority complex. Trump has more money and Trump beat Hillary while Romney made a pathetic run for the presidency and couldn't take a punch. Trump is far from perfect, but he is far better than Romney.

• Edmunds Tucker St. George, UT
    April 21, 2019 11:38 p.m.

''2012 presidential candidate’s '' The best predictor of future behavior is past experience. The behavior in the 2016 campaign from FBI, DOJ, was a repeat from the 2010 to 2012 election, i.e. government spy on the opposing party, to learn donors, schedules, strategy, responses, focus, plans, allies, endorsements. Not to smear, because the media needed no help for that. But real intell about the political plans.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    April 21, 2019 9:05 p.m.

"Romney takes a harder stance against Trump than he ever did with Obama. I guess his principles align more closely with Obama's. "

Perhaps.... just perhaps that is because President Obama never did the things Trump has been reported as doing in the Mueller Report. Did you possibly consider that?

What Romney is doing is the most loyal thing he could do for both his party, and his country. He wasn't elected to be "loyal to Trump". He was elected to defend the constitution of the United States and represent the people of Utah in Governance of this nation. Not one part of the oath of office he took was to be a Trump surrogate. If he sees someone bringing dishonor to the Office of the President, it is his duty to put nation above party.

Seems many people don't respect that - and believe loyalty to Trump is his job. The only way to bring honor and respect to the Republican/Conservative cause is to live by the principles for which conservatism stands to represent.

Trump's attempt to obstruct justice brought dishonor to the Office of the President... no matter which party.

• Astoria Jim Mamaroneck, NY
    April 21, 2019 8:45 p.m.

Huckabee always reminded me of the character "Elmer Gantry", a silver-tongued preacher portrayed by Burt Lancaster in an Academy Award winning role.
    Once, when gas prices were soaring during the Obama Presidency, I received a call from a Huckabee advocate asking me what I thought of Obama's responsibility for prices soaring. I reminded the caller that gas prices had dropped earlier in Obama's Presidency, and asked if Obama deserved credit then, as well as blame now. The caller could not answer the question, and when I asked for a phone number for a senior staffer to whom I could ask the question...
    He hung up on me.
    Mitt, so long as Mike Huckabee is questioning your intelligence, character, patriotism or loyalty...you have nothing to worry about.

• Max Upstate, NY
    April 21, 2019 8:04 p.m.

Everything Mitt says about Trump is spot on. What makes me sick is that so many other Republicans simply won't call a spade a spade. Mike Huckabee is a disgrace.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    April 21, 2019 7:52 p.m.

@ fatherof7

"I could write a book about the things I do not like about Donald Trump but I could write volumes about the positive things he has done to strengthen the country I love."

I'm curious: Would you accept from your children the same behavior you could write a book about on Trump? Did you teach them that leading their endeavors in this way will strengthen them and the enterprises they lead?

Where are all the conservative religious people that claim to believe that behavior impacts the soul? Is this were true, wouldn't we see them using their influence with Trump to demand better behavior even as he implements the policies they like? Why is it that we instead see them flocking to his rallies, to cheer him on when he's at his worst? Why does it look like this is the part of him they like most?

Here's something I learned while observing religious folk in my childhood: Don't believe what people say. Believe what they do.

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    April 21, 2019 6:58 p.m.

I voted for Romney and I totally regret that decision. So far he has been a huge disappointment. Huckabee is right. Six years of Romney telling us how righteous he is ....ugh.

• Chancey Sandy, UT
    April 21, 2019 6:49 p.m.

Romney takes a harder stance against Trump than he ever did with Obama. I guess his principles align more closely with Obama's. He probably should change and run as a democrat.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    April 21, 2019 6:41 p.m.

Huckabee didn't get close, never had a shot, and got beat by Romney. So, who cares what Huckabee thinks. Mike is the same narrow-minded individual who has publicly attacked anyone who has different beliefs, without understanding what those beliefs are.

Trump didn't even get 50% of Utah's votes, and has very low ethics. The report should surprise no one. Trump can't effectively collude with his own staff, why should anyone expect him to be capable of colluding with a foreign power.

Mitt is correct.

• n8ive american Shelley, Idaho
    April 21, 2019 6:18 p.m.

Mitt goes which ever way the winds are blowing. And the wind blows mostly from the Democrats.

• blackattack Orem, UT
    April 21, 2019 5:32 p.m.

Huckabee is playing papa bear for his daughter and is one of the entrenched republicans who can’t seem to muster up the courage or objectivity to go against trump. Plus he doesn’t think highly of Latter Day Saints.

• cityboy Farmington, UT
    April 21, 2019 4:53 p.m.

@ uncle artie,
    “Nowhere have I seen anyone quote the original authorization memo or the secret scope change memo from Rosenstein. How did an investigation into Russia collusion morph into an investigation of obstruction of justice?”

The original authorization to Mueller has been well documented since he was given his investigatory charge. The “change of scope” memo you refer to was not secret and is easily found on the web. It served only to provide specificity to Mueller’s May 2017 charge. The two unredacted elements of it were discussed at length in Paul Manafort’s challenge of Rosenstein’s appointment of Mueller. Judge TS Ellis, the District judge overseeing Manafort’s appeal, was given an unredacted version of the memo and ruled in favor of the government’s ability to investigate Manafort’s action as within the scope of Mueller’s charge.

You question how a collusion investigation could morph into an investigation of obstruction of justice. During the investigation it was determined that Trump tried to protect himself and his associates and thwart the special counsel’s efforts. Mueller punted on the OOJ question but it was certainly relevant to a thorough investigation.

• Kattoman Bountiful, UT
    April 21, 2019 4:42 p.m.

I wonder how Huck feels about his daughter lying at press conferences to protect her boss?

• fatherof7 Hurricane, UT
    April 21, 2019 4:39 p.m.

I supported and give Mitt my vote in 2012. However, the more he comments and expresses his public disdain for our president the less likely it is that I will ever support his future political ambitions.
    I'd like to know what Mitt and never Trumpers have against reducing the size of government, appointing constitution loving judges, protecting our borders, getting the economy going again etc, etc, etc.
    Mitt's diatribe as to why Donald Trump was unfit to be president at the outset of the 2016 election fell on deaf ears because the American people are sick and tired of mealy-mouth politicians who promise but fail to deliver. We saw something in Trump that, for too long has been absent in the public square - SPINE. If not for the entrenchment of the deep state in Washington, Trump would have "drained the swamp" as he promised.
    I suggest that if Mitt Romney values his political future, he lays aside his dislike for Trump the man and get on board with Making America Great Again.
    Trump 2020!!

• Rudy4pres Gilbert, AZ
    April 21, 2019 4:08 p.m.

Way to go Senator Romney. Keep up the good work.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    April 21, 2019 4:06 p.m.

Oh Huckleberry
    Still trashing Mitt because he beat you twice.
    Still defending your daughter and Trump for their boorish/prevaricating behavior.
    Still needling Mitt, lets be honest, because he's a "Mormon".

Mitt tells the honest truth.
    He wasn't arguing for the removal of Trump, pay attention, don't be so defensive Huck.

He's prodding Trump to act like a dignified grown up so that he may be re-elected with his great agenda.

Memo to Mitt: Don't waste your time!

Taking advice from Huck and his daughter, will not serve Donald well.

If there ever was a hanger/clinger on, it's Huckabee.
    What has he achieved in life compared to Mitt Romney?

Be grateful that people close to him (Trump) stopped him from his own basic instincts.
    Otherwise he would be in very deep water.

The criticisms and counsel which Trump's own advisers gave him, are simply the same which Mitt was speaking of.

We're all tired of the liberal media bias and spin, and likewise, we're also tired of partial sycophant's, defending Trump on every issue.

Objectivity is what Mitt is about...
    Spinning and knee jerk attacking is what defines Mike Huckabee.

• SGU84770 St. George, UT
    April 21, 2019 4:01 p.m.

It sickens me that Romney threw away the Republicans' shot at making Obama a one term president by A) Showing his disdain for working Americans as expressed in his 47% comment, and B) Picking a lightweight VP nominee who failed so miserably in his debate with Biden.

• Tom Walker San Jose, CA
    April 21, 2019 3:18 p.m.

I guess Mike Huckabee couldn't keep his religious bigotry bottled up forever.

Candidates generally don't vet nor endorse their contributors. Accepting contributions does not require one to be beholden to that person forever or to reciprocate. Were that the case, we would never hear the end of how every decision is bought and paid for. Romney was absolutely correct to stand up against the moral character of Trump during the 2016 campaign. It's unfortunate that more Americans didn't stand up against the character of BOTH major party candidates and put their weight behind 3rd party/Independent alternatives.

It was pathetic of Huckabee to claim that Romney "begged." He's the kind of man who would serve his country if called upon to do so, even during the administration of a president he disagrees with. Of course he accepted the invitation to meet with Trump to discuss the possibility. I doubt he ever lost any sleep not being selected. And in hindsight, considering how frequently cabinet members are churned, it seems more a blessing than a curse to have been omitted.

We'd be much better off in the back end of Romney's second term right now than where we are today.

April 21, 2019 2:51 p.m.

It makes me sick that Romney getting sick about Trump's behavior makes Huckabee sick.

• eldonp Parowan, UT
    April 21, 2019 2:31 p.m.

Take the next step, Sen. Romney. Join John McCain in turning thumbs down on this dangerous man and his gang of enablers. It's not about party. It's about ethics, respect and reason.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 21, 2019 1:50 p.m.

@ 1covey, so it's OK then to have a corrupt President? Have we gotten so low as a nation?

• utah chick MSC, UT
    April 21, 2019 1:44 p.m.

Boberino - Farmington, UT
    April 21, 2019 9:38 a.m.
    @utah chick

I did vote for Mitt Romney but I wasn’t very happy about it.

Maybe you should have taken your time to do some research chosen a candidate on their views, rather than R & R.

• Thomas Paine South Jordan, UT
    April 21, 2019 12:49 p.m.

Thank you Senator Romney. You are doing a great job. Also, thanks for sticking true to the real Republican principles and not the detour that Trump and Huckabee want.

• UncleArtie Brigham City, UT
    April 21, 2019 12:44 p.m.

I have not read the Mueller report, but I just finished reading an online analysis of the report by a group of legal experts.

I have some thoughts upon this whole debacle. The House of Representatives and Senate both did bi-partisan investigations into Russian collusion and both exonerated Trump. Mueller's team was not bi-partisan, they all had links to the Democratic Party - literally 18 angry, Trump hating Democrats.

Nowhere have I seen anyone quote the original authorization memo or the secret scope change memo from Rosenstein. How did an investigation into Russia collusion morph into an investigation of obstruction of justice? What was the evidence of Russia collusion or obstruction of justice that might have been a valid reason to initiate the investigation?

Statements such as 'Trump may have obstructed' or 'Trump's team wanted to collude' are not valid. They are just spin, but those are the types of things Romney seized upon, and to which Huckabee reacted.

I believe the real fun is about to begin, not with spin statements but with real hard evidence that will stand up in court to prove treason at the highest levels of government.

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2019 12:12 p.m.

To take a different tack : Politics has been likened to making sausage - not an effort for those with weak stomachs. And to be selective in criticism is unfair. Expected better of Romney, when I voted for him. He is fast losing my confidence when it comes to issues beyond Utah. Next time, run for the State legislature if you want my vote.

• cthulhu_fhtagn Seattle, WA
    April 21, 2019 12:12 p.m.

No one seems to disagree with what Mitt said, oddly. They're just made that he said it.

• Rick for Truth Provo, UT
    April 21, 2019 12:06 p.m.

I never thought I would side with Huckabee over Romney, but I do and agree with Mike. Romney is not a conservative and should have run as a Democrat if he were politically honest. The sheep voters of Utah got what they deserve.

• geekusprimus Little Elm, TX
    April 21, 2019 11:08 a.m.

I might not necessarily agree with Romney on absolutely everything, but I agree with him on the things that matter most: morality, honesty, eliminating corruption, and restoring dignity to our national government. As long as Romney stays the course, he will have my vote every single time.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    April 21, 2019 11:02 a.m.

Seems fair, I am sickened by Huckabee’s weaponization of his twisted self serving version of religion. I guess that’s the beauty of free speech.

• Astoria Jim Mamaroneck, NY
    April 21, 2019 10:50 a.m.

Read Mitt's comments through, word for word, sentence by sentence. Is there anything he said that is not true, and that fair-minded people cannot agree with?
    Also, as you and your family prepare to sit down for your Easter Sunday dinner, if you had to choose either Donald Trump or Mitt Romney to have at your table, to dine with your loved ones, who would you choose?
    I would choose Mitt, but then I'm not a good example, because I share some history with one of these two.
    No, I'm not LDS. But I was born and raised in Queens County, New York, where I became familiar with Donald Trump long before he became a "reality TV" performer.

• Sportsfan123 Herriman, UT
    April 21, 2019 10:33 a.m.

Romney is a progressive globalist nothing more, he's no different than a democrat perhaps worse.

His true colors have come out and utahns would be good to choose another representative for the state at the end of his term.

Trump is not easy to like, but his policies for the most part have done the country well and that can't be argued unless you are blinded by hate.

• Daedalus, Stephen Arvada, CO
    April 21, 2019 9:59 a.m.

Huckabee? Sounds familar...

Oh yeah. Isn't he the father of the woman implicated in the Mueller report for lying multiple times to the public about the reasons why Comey was fired?

I feel for him.

You raise your kids the best you can, but cannot control the life choices they make and the people they choose to be.

• Boberino Farmington, UT
    April 21, 2019 9:38 a.m.

@utah chick

I did vote for Mitt Romney but I wasn’t very happy about it.

• cool47 Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 21, 2019 9:28 a.m.

I am with Senator Romney.. His criticism of the Trump administration is justified.

I have never liked Mike Huckabee since the 2012 Presidential campaign and his comments add to that distaste.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2019 9:14 a.m.

Awesome petty bickering due to an administration based on lies and chaos.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2019 9:06 a.m.

You can tell a person by their friends and also by their enemies. Thanks to the ex-governor of Arkansas for the endorsement of Romney.

• bill4570 ,
    April 21, 2019 8:50 a.m.

So the political ducking and dodging seems to perpetuate itself in one form or another.

During the last election I voted nothing but Democrat all the way. When I got to Romney, a Republican, I voted for him. Thought he would have the moxie to stand up against "the dark side" of our American universe.

Thus far I am proud to say that my vote was not wasted.

None the less, the duckers and dodgers are still out there. More for fending themselves than having much regard for the public they serve.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    April 21, 2019 8:31 a.m.

We want our representatives to be honest, non partisan, "tell it like it is", and when they are/do, we attack them for being traitors. Maybe there is something wrong with us?

When our president (Trump presently) does something good, he should be praised and supported. When it is bad, he should be condemned and resisted. There will never again be a clear-cut candidate for leadership. Those days are gone. What we are left with now is choosing between the lesser of two evils.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 21, 2019 8:31 a.m.

I'd like to see Romney and Huckabee have a debate based on morality and how it translates to Trump and his administration.

That's a debate where 35% of the electorate would be covering up their ears.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    April 21, 2019 8:29 a.m.

The worst kind of parent is one who makes excuses for their kids no matter what they do. It is probably the worst thing they could ever do for their kids - turning a blind eye when they do wrong. Rather, a good parent will reprove when appropriate to teach their kids right from wrong.

This blind admiration of a man who clearly has some personal issue is not doing him, not this country any good. We should be able to reprove those even in our own party when they do wrong. When you fail to speak up when they do small things wrong, it leads only to a path of great wrong decisions.

If Trump's fans really cared for him, they would speak up when he does wrong rather than constantly attacking those who do speak up about it. The worst thing a parent can do is hide from their children when the do wrong. A true loving parent will correct their children do wrong... not make excuses for them or lie for them.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 21, 2019 8:16 a.m.

Well, Mike, your opinion has been noted and certainly you're entitled to have it. Whatever moral, political or religious pronouncements you have made or will make going forward are worthless, as you have chosen to stand as a trump sycophant.

• chopperdan Clovis, NM
    April 21, 2019 8:11 a.m.

Thank you Senator Romney for speaking up against lies, dishonesty and the poor example of a President that Trump is. I am sad that our president cannot tell the truth, has been unfaithful to his wife and is a poor example to our children and our country. I would hope that all of us would pray for our President and hope that he would stop this behavior.

• cityboy Farmington, UT
    April 21, 2019 8:02 a.m.

@Mainly Me,

“Huckabee has it right. Mitt seems to be trying to work both sides of the street.”

There are no two sides of the street in regards to unvarnished truth. To believe otherwise is the problem with partisan ideologists and particularly Trumpers. Even in the face of overwhelmingly compelling evidence of Trump’s deceit and attempts to obstruct justice, which should sicken any decent observer, it is instead Romney who is cast by many here to be the wrong-headed one.

I am amazed by the responses of the “yeah butters” who hide behind “but the economy”, “but our southern border”, and “but the Supreme Court” to buttress their unwavering support for Trump when they should be demonstrating Romney-like indignation. I would say the same of those who held equally deplorable support for Bill Clinton during the Monica scandal.

Right is right and wrong is wrong regardless of your political stripe.

• cl_rand North Salt Lake, UT
    April 21, 2019 7:52 a.m.

One thing we can all agree on, if you're on the wrong side of the Huckabees, you're definitely on the right track. Meanwhile, every other member of Utah's D.C. delegation sits on their hands as idle witnesses to the dismantling of American democracy marches forward. Sad!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 21, 2019 7:48 a.m.

Huckabee has over time revealed who he really is. He loves to wear his religion on his sleeve and portray his folksy nature. But he supports a President who, by objective standards, is morally unqualified to be President, among other reasons. And, Huckabee is proud of a daughter who routinely lies, cited even in the Mueller Report for doing so, and shows zero remorse. I'll take Romney any day, because while I'm not a supporter, I do believe he is trying to do right. I just remind him to reflect on his oath of office and do the right thing by the Constitution, not the Republican Party, which has lost its way.

• Steve Cottrell Centerville, UT
    April 21, 2019 7:40 a.m.

Romney's criticism of Trump is exactly right. We need to get Trump out of the white house in 2020..

• Chris from Rose Park Hartford, CT
    April 21, 2019 7:36 a.m.

Romney is doing what he should. The Trump White House is a disaster. Yes, some policies and outcomes have been good, but that doesn't mean that it is ran well. Dishonesty at the highest level should not be tolerated.

One of my biggest complaints with Congress is that many members seem to align with party more than anything else. They stay on their side calling out the other like it's evil (it's not). Romney is setting up himself up to be someone who can actually broker compromise with the Dems. He's not so blindly sided with his party that he ignores blatant red flags. He applauds some Trump policies while rightfully calling out appalling behavior.

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2019 7:24 a.m.

If Romney is 'sickened' by dishonesty, why is he in politics ? Romney seems to be very selective in his choices for opprobrium.

• call_me_ishmael Roy, UT
    April 21, 2019 7:09 a.m.

An interesting note. If you remember, during the 2016 campaign, Mitt Romney was very critical of Donald Trump. This led to Donald Trump making very vulgar comments regarding meetings that he had with Mr. Romney during the 2012 campaign.

Gov. Huckabee's statement is much tamer (and not vulgar), but the use of 'begging' seems to be in reference of things that Donald Trump had said.

I applaud Senator Romney for standing up and expressing how he felt. His oath is to uphold the Constitution. His oath is NOT to follow the party line.

This is NOT a Republican or Democratic party issue. This is about our country.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    April 21, 2019 6:36 a.m.

I am sickened at the extent and pervasiveness of dishonesty and misdirection by individuals in the highest office of the land, including the President," Romney posted.

"I am appalled that, among other things, fellow citizens working in a campaign for president welcomed help from Russia — including information that had been illegally obtained; that none of them acted to inform American law enforcement," Romney wrote.

It sickens me to see 1/3 of the country throw away their patriotism, morals, and Christianity for the sake of Donald J Trump.

• utah chick MSC, UT
    April 21, 2019 6:21 a.m.

*Boberino - Farmington, UT
    April 20, 2019 9:11 p.m.
    Mitt Romney seems to have a knack for weighing in on the wrong side of everything. I sure wish he would think first before giving his opinion. In this context, I am not sure why he is commenting at all.*

Did you vote for Romney?

• Yuge Opportunity Here Mapleton, UT
    April 21, 2019 6:19 a.m.

The thing that bugs me here is that Mitt doesn't have to make these statements. He could just do his job as Utah senator and avoid the drama. But he's stuck on the Never-Trump train and can't get off.

As Thumper's mother taught, If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all.

Mitt's nagging is getting old.

• GEAnthony RAMAH, NM
    April 21, 2019 6:03 a.m.

Romney should stay with the Reagan doctrine: If you can't say something positive, keep silent.

• Golden Rules Okay, OK
    April 21, 2019 1:42 a.m.

I went to Huckabee's twitter feed because I was curious to see what his statement of reaction to the Mueller report was to compare. Turns out that his twitter feed is a hate-filled series of rants against various people and groups. His tweet about Romney was just his rant of the day.

• Not Much of a Fan Irvine, CA
    April 21, 2019 1:14 a.m.

Water Rocket:

Romney has not seen more of the report than the public. At this point the same version available online to the public is only version to which Romney has access.

• water rocket , 00
    April 21, 2019 12:00 a.m.

Huckabee is a wolf in sheep's clothing who supports his daughter while she tries to make like Trump is honest. Romney has supported Trump when he thought Trump was doing good, but he has the courage to speak up when the occasion warrants it. Remember that Romney has seen more of the report than the public has.

• Mary Mc Lacey, WA
    April 20, 2019 11:17 p.m.

Huckabee is trying to tear down a brave man who stood up against a corrupt administration. Hopefully more will find the courage Senator Romney did and speak truth to power while they still can.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    April 20, 2019 11:05 p.m.

I was wondering what Huckabee thought about his daughter going down in history as one of Trump’s greatest enablers. Now I know.

It’s amazing how many Washington types are willing to give up their entire reputations to support the Trump train wreck. I guess they deserve it.

• Bloodhound Provo, UT
    April 20, 2019 10:42 p.m.

I agree with Huckabee.

• durwood kirby , 00
    April 20, 2019 10:29 p.m.

There was a time when I felt that Mr. Huckabee made sense. Over time, however, I have found it necessary to change my mind. And finally, his daughter’s performance as White House spokesperson has caused me to question my sanity regarding my initial judgement.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    April 20, 2019 10:06 p.m.

I'm a Trump supporter, and I agree with this message!

• Left Field Cocoa Beach, FL
    April 20, 2019 10:00 p.m.

Funny, it makes me sick that either of these two were once serious contenders for the presidency. Actually, it's not funny; it's sad.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    April 20, 2019 9:37 p.m.

• HeberFYFA Heber City, UT
    April 20, 2019 9:33 p.m.

If Mike Huckabee doesn’t like Senator Romney for things Romney believes about President Trump, Romney is on the right track.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    April 20, 2019 9:19 p.m.

I agree with governor Huckabee.

Romney continues to embarrass himself and his constituents

• Boberino Farmington, UT
    April 20, 2019 9:11 p.m.

• Silver Stingray St George, UT
    April 20, 2019 9:08 p.m.

Huckabee is 100% right!

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    April 20, 2019 8:49 p.m.

Well I guess we know where Sarah got her moral compass from.

The idea that a "man of the cloth" would exchange his values rather than accept that President Trump may have a few flaws.... it amazing to me. Every President has had flaws. Carter - fundamentally an honest and decent man, that didn't translate into a great leader during a very hard time. Reagan's term was tarnished with Iran/Contra. Bush No. 1 - went back on his "no new taxes" pledge to try to balance the budget, Clinton - need we say more, Bush II - turned his back on the financial hard cores to keep American banks and industry solvent during the financial crises, and Obama crossed one to many red lines.

I would take Mitt over Huckabee in a nano-second. I would rather trust a man who stands by his convictions rather than blindly accept what is plainly detailed in the report. He and his daughter... two peas from the same pod.

• Palmetto Bug Columbia, SC
    April 20, 2019 8:38 p.m.

Evidence of Huckabee’s hatred of Romney goes back to the 2012 campaign when he attacked Romney’s religion. This anger comes from deeply held bias against the Church of Jesus Christ.

Romney chose country over party and he should be applauded not shamed.

• worf McAllen, TX
    April 20, 2019 8:26 p.m.

Mitt Romney is very disappointing.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 20, 2019 8:20 p.m.

Mike Huckabee. Father of main Trump enabler, Sarah Huckabee Sanders. Trump's documented, by independent sources, to lie at least 12 times a day, publicly. Sarah has a career defending his lies. Not exactly a moral platform to be criticizing Romney.

• utahute69 Laguna Niguel, CA
    April 20, 2019 8:14 p.m.

Huckabee's comments were way to nice.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    April 20, 2019 8:11 p.m.

I agree 100% with Huckabee! lol, Romney was literally begging to be Secretary of State - now he’s sickened by Trump again. Give me a break.

Romney’s comments cannot possibly be sincere. He just needs to go away - his 6 year term cannot end fast enough for me.

• Million Riverton, UT
    April 20, 2019 7:58 p.m.

I'm glad Romney spoke the truth about the President. I can't understand how anyone can realistically support Donald Trump. He is so thin-skinned and immoral.