More Utahns are obese, though the state is still one of the most healthy in the U.S.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    April 22, 2019 8:05 a.m.

Growing up in the 56's 60's70's i have to ask what changed. It's not like people was health conscious than. Lot of people smoked. I don't think it's the eye hand mouth habit is it eather. I think G M O is in food and that's the cause an effect.

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2019 9:32 a.m.

During the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics I met a Swiss guy that was touring the west and going to the Olympics. He knew nothing of LA and planned to camp at Leo Carrillo State Park and take buses to events. That would have taken him about 3-4 hours each way, so I offered to let him have floor space in my small apartment.

As I showed him around the area, from the beaches to Hollywood Blvd and Sunset, he started taking pictures of really fat people. I asked why. He said he had never seen so many fat people in his life.

That was 35 years ago. I imagine he would be retching if he saw the U.S. now, especially all the "healthy" grossly obese people in Utah.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2019 9:20 a.m.

Telling us that Utah is bad, but not as bad as other states is not much of a compliment. The medical costs associated with obesity pose an existential threat to our health care system. Reversing the trend should be a state and national priority. Some may complain of nanny state interference with personal freedom, but they also expect that same nanny state to treat their obesity related medical conditions. There are significant obstacles to reform such as fast foods, high carb comfort foods including high fructose corn syrup, processed foods and an "all you can eat" mentality, plus the corporations that promote them.

• Susan Quinton Draper, UT
    April 20, 2019 7:42 p.m.

Doom Turtle, same here. We are on the east benches, and our practice has many wealthy, educated people. They will spend hours at the gym, purchase “all natural” everything, and then refuse to listen when we say fast food isn’t the most nutritious....sigh. I believe convenience is behind the obesity.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2019 5:30 p.m.

Overweight people need to be paying higher health insurance premiums. The cost of obesity is in the hundreds of billions a year and those who are choosing by their actions to be obese should be paying for it, not me.

• Doom Turtle SLC/SLC, UT
    April 20, 2019 4:32 p.m.

This is an alarming article, although only confirming facts that are obvious to even the most casual observer of our populace. Particularly frightening for the nation as a whole, is that Utah is one of the healthier states, based on body mass.
    My medical practice in Utah largely draws from a solidly middle class population and a majority of the ER visits, hospitalizations and the procedures I do are on people who are overweight to obese, reflecting the increased associated health risks.
    Clearly, this extra weight also increases the health care costs for all. Obesity is usually associated with lower socioeconomic status, yet the southwest part of the valley has a lot of large people while enjoying a not lower class standard of living. This always mystifies me.