Letter: A new not so silly law

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    April 23, 2019 8:13 a.m.

Mata Leao, I've personally never seen a person leave horse droppings on a trail.

I've seen many horses leave horse droppings on trails. But never seen a person do it.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    April 22, 2019 7:43 p.m.

@Mata Leao: "What about people who leave horse dropping on the trails?"

1-Very few horses walking around the city sidewalks or across your front lawn. You ought to expect a few different things on a mountain trail than you do on your own front lawn. Don't complain about horse droppings on trails and then demand that wild horses be given free rein to multiple as they see fit. Either horses are a natural part of the environment or they are not. Pick one.

2-As strict herbavores, horses have different droppings than do omnivorous dogs. Further, since horses do not live with people while dogs do, dog droppings present higher risk of transmitting illnesses and parasites to people than do horse droppings.

3-Because of #2, horse droppings are much easier to see and avoid, and if stepped in do not smell nearly as bad as do dog droppings. Cat stuff is worse than both.

• barfolomew Tooele, UT
    April 22, 2019 1:28 p.m.

@ Dennis Fitzgerald

"I see too many people ignore their pet's smelly contribution to the environment."

You say that like it's harming the environment. Now, I don't know how it works in Australia, and although I think it's rude to leave dog droppings on other people's lawns, animal poop is some of the best fertilizer for plants there is. When I find dog poop on my lawn, I usually rake it over to one of the nearest plants to help fertilize it.

• Whazzzzzzzupppp Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2019 12:41 p.m.

Or a hand.

• Mata Leao Ogden, UT
    April 22, 2019 9:53 a.m.

What about people who leave horse dropping on the trails?

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2019 8:34 a.m.

I like it.

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2019 9:20 a.m.

Dennis, it's already a law, just like driving and texting is a law. Neither are enforced and the people violating those laws don't care about anyone except themselves.