7 underrated Utah drives, according to a travel expert

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    April 26, 2019 10:16 a.m.

To Johnny Triumph,

The world wide web has essentially done away with geographic secrets.

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    April 23, 2019 11:47 a.m.

I suggest I-15, which will take you to Las Vegas and Los Angeles. I-80 is nice too. It will get you to Reno, Sacramento, and San Francisco to the west, and to great places like Omaha and Chicago to the east.

• lederhudler San Diego, CA
    April 23, 2019 2:29 a.m.

As native of the Beehive State. I'm still always impressed the natural beauty of Utah. I traveled Highway 12 - Escalante to Torrey not too many years after it was paved (or so the map indicated). That is definitely an All-American Highway ranking above almost any other highway I've traveled. Some other good ones deserve mentioning. The Bicentennial Highway across Lake Powell to Mexican Hat is another - not to be missed, as another person commented. I'd add - the 110-mile no-facilities stretch of I-70 as well. No one will bother you if you pull off to the side and take some photos of the unusual formations (San Rafael Swell, I believe). I've pronounced the section from the junction near Cove Fort to Denver as the most beautiful stretch of interstate in the US. There are other remarkable highways - the Alpine Loop on the backside of Timpanogos is a great ride. Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons are well-known, The road up the cliffs to Dead Horse Point. Or Parowan Canyon up to Brianhead. And don't forget the road over the plateau past Navajo Lake, with its awesome views above Zion Natl Park.

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, UT
    April 22, 2019 11:33 p.m.

I would also suggest Mirror Lake Highway, but the title does say "Underrated Utah drives." This was a great article! I love all the recommendations.

• rlsintx Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 22, 2019 6:53 p.m.

If you're on the wasatch front - the loop around Mt. Nebo is a great 3-5 hr drive - enter from Nephi or Payson side - lots of great places to just enjoy nature..

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2019 12:28 p.m.

Quit spilling our secrets!

• Roadtrippinwithbob La Verkin, UT
    April 22, 2019 10:44 a.m.

Not a bad list but I would add Hwy 95, Utah's Bicentennial Highway that runs from Hanksville to US 191 just south of Blanding. Another opportunity on this route is to turn south on UT 261 just past Natural Bridges National Monument and visit Muley Point then take Moki Dugway to Valley of the Gods and Goosenecks State Park. This is a great route to take if you want to visit Glen Canyon/Lake Powell and Monument Valley. Hwy 95 is one of the most under-discovered roads in Utah with tons of trails, canyons, ruins, and scenery.