Salt Lake Temple to close for four years as Temple Square undergoes seismic change

• Hank1950 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2019 3:07 p.m.

I am rather sad that they are considering taking down the thick exterior walls . When I go to temple square I think of a peaceful otherworldly place.
    I am afraid that taking down the thick walls will cause distractions from the traffic and other noises from the outside world.

• Uncle Lindy Wasilla, AK
    April 20, 2019 2:16 p.m.

Temple ordinances have always moved forward through revelation. They are greatly different and improved in presentation since we were married in the Salt Lake Temple 55 years ago, but the significant doctrine remains the same. There is really no reason to preserve the live sessions, particularly not to honor the Pioneers. We honor them by living our lives in a manner that makes their sacrifices worthwhile. No offense to those who serve in the live sessions (who are about my age), but they simply do not exemplify the robustness of the persons they portray. To continue live sessions is akin to doing family history with long sheets and pencils instead of using Family Search.org. The most important thing with the newer presentations is the greater sense of peace and spirituality without all the distractions. I recall some patrons coming to the Anchorage Alaska Temple a few years ago who previously had only gone to the Manti Temple, who proclaimed, "Now we understand!" I fully support the Prophet and General Authorities, but hope that they will fully consider making the Temple experience consistent throughout the world as a world-wide Church.

• Strider303 American Fork, UT
    April 20, 2019 10:56 a.m.

As to the outcome of the remodel, we'll just have to wait and see, unless there will be a subsequent news conference on the details of the interior finishing.

Our complaints are so first world compared to our recent past of so few temples and, for many, arduous journeys to visit a temple. Long bus trips many over night to attend to temple service.

I, personally, like the live presentation when available but our local temple is a video presentation that does provide linguistic and hearing impaired service.

One aspect of our comments with the remodel and other Church related policies and practices that are either continued or changed is that we appear to have the misconception that the Church is some sort of popular democracy. I suggest it isn't, but a kingdom and the stewards in charge have the stewardship to operate the organization with the approval of the owner. Processes may change the policies are much longer lasting.

I can't wait for the open house, including the expected public contrary voices and signage.

• ldsironrodder Mt Vernon, OH
    April 20, 2019 10:51 a.m.

I predict President Nelson will officiate at the newly renovated and restored sacred edifice. In fact, I further predict he will be officiating at many more ordinances when there are 3 digits in his age. I only hope I'll be able to witness my predictions on this side of the veil.

• Allen C Christensen American Fork, UT
    April 20, 2019 7:53 a.m.

I am delighted the Church is making the effort to update and secure the structural soundness of the Salt Lake Temple for generations to come. My great-grandfather spent a season hauling stone from Little Cottonwood Canyon. I would guess that he and all others who labored and sacrificed to build these pioneer temples are thrilled at the decisions being made to preserve these temples as monuments that reminds us to lift our aspirations toward that which is praiseworthy, beatufiful and of good report. Given that I recently reached 84, I wonder if I will be a mortal when this work is completed and the sacred edifice is rededicated. It has now been 60 years and four months since my sweetheart and I were married and sealed within its sacred precincts. My parents and grandparents were married there. The Salt Lake Temple represents a tradition of faith for many. All should rejoice that the leadership of the Church has determined to do everything they can to protect that which has inspired so many to try to be better people. May heaven bless them and all who labor to update this magnificent fortress of faith, whose spires remind us from whence cometh our strength.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 20, 2019 6:58 a.m.

@tahoe Mormon

"So when has nostalgia and preservation of wholesome traditions become a sin or a crime?"

Where did I say it was a sin? Where did I say it was a crime?

This is an OPINION page, and I gave my OPINION. Just because it doesn't agree with your OPINION doesn't mean I'm advocating a sin or a crime.

Talk about a desperate knee-jerk overreaction...

• atrulson cohoes, NY
    April 20, 2019 5:25 a.m.

"Much of the famous wall around Temple Square will be torn down and replaced with more of the iron gates..."

Those historic wall provide a good sound barrier to the traffic and commotion surrounding the square. I imagine replacing them with iron bars will make it less quiet and peaceful.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    April 19, 2019 9:55 p.m.

I would not think that a building of such critical and vital importance could afford to close for four long entire years.

• Tahoemormon70 Bountiful, UT
    April 19, 2019 4:42 p.m.

@Brave New Robin, so when has nostalgia and preservation of wholesome traditions become a sin or a crime? I guess even in the Church, spiritual conservatives can't seek refuge from those infested and infected with destructive liberal agendas. For example, trying to abolish the KJV because it is too archaic and obsolete and is no longer hip, trendy, faddish and popular. Or, removing the Old Testament from the Bible because it requires too much careful study to understand the ancient although useful syntax. Or, as you suggest, completely deleting the live sessions because it requires way too much out of you to move rooms and have everything plopped in your lap like at some five-star restaurant. The temple is a spiritual restaurant that requires faith, effort, work and enough love for those on the other side that you can sacrifice taking a few steps and trying to remain awake, alert, paying attention and getting something out of your time there.

• Mona Portland, OR
    April 19, 2019 4:35 p.m.

ThatLDSGuy: take Trax!! Several lines pass right by Temple Square.

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2019 4:26 p.m.

Robyn
    Driving to SLC? There's one in San Diego. Try it. Nastolgia? Yes, I think they ought to go to the new look, Provo and the old Ogden. Why bother with that old nostalgic granite?

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 19, 2019 3:26 p.m.

@neece

"Why do you want the live sessions to leave?"

1. Non-English speakers cannot meaningfully participate because translation is not available.
    2. I speak English and I can barely understand what's being said half the time.
    3. All the up and down, back and forth, moving from room to room is time consuming.
    4. I harbor no such desires to do things "the old fashioned way" or how the pioneers did them. Nostalgia is not something I care much about. For the same reason, I'm not pushing a handcart to the temple - I'm driving my car.

• Orson Woods Cross, UT
    April 19, 2019 1:24 p.m.

Dogbreath,
    I like your attitude and thinking. What a sweet experience you would have to doneate your time and work on such a sacred project.

My 3rd great-grandfather was a foreman on the temple block during some of the many years of construction work on the temple and I take some pride in that.

I have no specialized construction skills, but a second cousin of mine was a church employee and a painter for the temple for some twenty or so years. He was a specialist whose job was to keep the murals looking good and repair any kind of paint issue that arose. He loved the job.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    April 19, 2019 1:13 p.m.

@UtahBruin,
    The original article, the one I commented about, did mention the St. George temple. But not the Logan temple, and that is why I mentioned the Logan temple. The article has since been revised, so that it no longer mentions the St. George temple, which makes my comment seem silly, but that isn't my fault.

• dogbreath Francis, UT
    April 19, 2019 12:47 p.m.

I hope the church will allow those of us who work in the construction industries the opportunity to volunteer a portion of our God given time and talents on this magnificent project, such as was done on the Nauvoo Temple rebuild. One of the greatest experiences of my career. I learned what the term 'temple quality' means while watching all of the talented craftsmen perform their craft (work). So please, LDS church, call a missionary couple on a mission to oversee "Volunteer Services" for those who are licensed and qualified.

• UtahBruin Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 19, 2019 11:57 a.m.

@RG

Not to be Johnny Rain Cloud here, call me crazy but I don't think the Logan temple was mentioned because this is an article about the Salt Lake Temple.

@ThatLDSGuy

There is plenty of parking at the conference center across the street, as well as at the shopping center on the other side of the street.

• Orson Woods Cross, UT
    April 19, 2019 11:47 a.m.

What a tremendous marvelous fantastic undertaking!

Having that in mind, look for critics to moan and groan over those darn "Mormons" spending money on quality of temple worship experience and preservation of pioneer sacrifice and grandeur instead of giving every penny to the poor. Many of them mistakely think it is the Church of the United Way instead of Christ's restored institution founded to spiritually save mankind, while also doing much to temporally help people as well. Saving people both ways is another marvelous feat performed by the Saints.

I would like to go through one last time before it closes for the 4 years. (It's good Pres. Oaks had Pres. Nelson clarify the 2029 date to 2019, that threw me for a second....)

• ThatLDSGuy Humble, TX
    April 19, 2019 11:31 a.m.

This is all great.

How about adding some parking? Just saying.

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2019 10:59 a.m.

Wow! MAJOR changes, but the finished product will be amazing!

With regard to "live vs. film" sessions, I wonder if they might actually configure the temple to do both; it wouldn't be difficult to imagine keeping the current "live" session rooms and also creating a number of "film" ordinance rooms, making the S.L. Temple the first (and probably only) "dual-method session" temple. It could work logistically, and would allow patrons to choose which type of session to attend. I mean, it's not like the current Church leadership has shied away from innovative procedural changes.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    April 19, 2019 10:51 a.m.

I hope the live sessions at SL and Manti are preserved. I'd love to see them brought back as an option in St. George as well.

There are things that are easier to understand from the film. There are other things that I gained primarily from the live session. I think both have their strengths, and especially in pioneer temples built for the live sessions, I hope they are preserved at least as an option part of the time.

• M_Hawke Golden, CO
    April 19, 2019 10:50 a.m.

@farmboy58 Not sure why my original post to you was denied as being "off topic," but you could watch it live on KSL's website. No longer live by now, of course, but there are still videos of it and other resources. Also check out mormonnewsroom.

• BEECOM Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2019 10:37 a.m.

Will we have the “Live Endowment” with 86 languages or perhaps an I-Max Screen or Theater Screen like in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building? -Tim & Gayle aka “Adam & Eve”

• M_Hawke Golden, CO
    April 19, 2019 10:25 a.m.

@neece Also, in watching the live broadcast, I am reminded that with the live sessions, no foreign languages are available.

• M_Hawke Golden, CO
    April 19, 2019 10:19 a.m.

@neece and @Brave Sir Robin
    My guess is that live sessions will be done away with. I prefer not having a live session so as to have a consistent interpretation. Less distractions that way, also. Learning of doctrine takes precedence, for me, over preserving history for preserving history's sake. The ordinance has changed over the years and quite a bit recently that has done away with cultural and historical practices anyway.

• neece Hyde Park, UT
    April 19, 2019 8:48 a.m.

I feel as do most likely all members of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints the Salt lake Temple is to us what the Notre Dame is to the Catholic Religion. Both are beautiful, with amazing architecture especially of that time.

@Brave Sir Robin - Why do you want the live sessions to leave? To me it keeps a tradition of early days when that was the only way to do them. I personally would love to keep the live sessions, to preserve that pioneer early church History,

• Farmboy58 ,
    April 19, 2019 8:09 a.m.

How can we view the news conference?

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 19, 2019 8:03 a.m.

Here's the question nobody is asking but might be the most important: Will Salt Lake and Manti still be doing live sessions after the renovation? During the renovation, it would be very easy to change the layout and wire them for video.

Personally I'd like to see live sessions go by the wayside.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    April 19, 2019 6:38 a.m.

And the Logan temple was completely gutted (so that you could stand on the bottom floor and see the sky), and the interior re-made--a totally different floor plan than the original, and rededicated in 1979. All of the pioneer craftsmanship and murals were destroyed. Not sure why the article didn't mention the 1979 renovation of the Logan temple. Its interior is nice now, but nowhere near the level of current temples being built over the last 30 years or so. During the 1970s, "functional" and not "exquisitely beautiful" was the goal.