Doug Robinson: The case against James Harden's game

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 20, 2019 6:05 p.m.

Somebody need to shave his beard that will slow him down

• fortydam OREM, UT
    April 19, 2019 4:29 p.m.

He is talented for sure, you got to hit those shots, especially if the NBA gives you extra space and steps.

• LALtx Provo, UT
    April 19, 2019 4:08 p.m.

I guess it's lucky for you then that the Rockets so thoroughly defeated the Jazz in the first 2 meetings that you only had to watch Harden play for 33 minutes in each. Hopefully, he'll have to play even fewer minutes in the next 2 games. That will make everyone happy: you won't have to watch him play and he will be well rested for the next series.

• Husker2 , 00
    April 19, 2019 3:12 p.m.

Harden is simply doing what NBA officials will allow him to get away with. I have followed the NBA since the early 70s, and the officiating changed drastically when the NBA discovered the profitability of star power in the late 80s. It is now a league where the team with the best 1-2 players wins the championship, defense is an afterthought, and charging and traveling are rarely called, especially on those super stars. There are no more Kareems, Wilts, or Bill Russells because the game has changed to a shooting contest. It has become very boring.

• 8plex Alpine, UT
    April 19, 2019 2:51 p.m.

To top off the manipulation Houston uses for Hardin they use what they term is a switching defense. Which is just another way of saying zone defense. Watch the game and see if you can spot a difference between the “switching” defense and a zone defense. I will betcha can’t.

• a_voice_of_reason Woods Cross, UT
    April 19, 2019 1:38 p.m.

I agree - it isn't fun to watch. I won't pay for cable to watch the NBA because Harden is simply the poster-child for the shift in playing style in the NBA. I don't enjoy watching that. I miss the NBA when you wouldn't simply play iso-offense and when it was a cardinal sin to have 4 guys standing at the 3-point line hoping to end up with an open shot.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    April 19, 2019 12:21 p.m.

LOL, what an embarrassing article!! I'm embarrassed I wasted time to read it

• Roy88 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2019 11:28 a.m.

It's funny when a reporter and fans can only cry cause they can't beat 1 man at his game... Go Rockets!!!

• Idaho Elk Rexburg, ID
    April 19, 2019 11:14 a.m.

@fortydam - OREM, UTAH

Harden shot a total of “8” free throws the first two games. If he were playing for the Jazz, we would be complaining that eight wasn’t enough.

• Puukko Orem , 00
    April 19, 2019 10:23 a.m.

Notahater - Houston, TX

Like I said "You would have to be a Rockets fan to like his game".

• miguel888 Duchesne, UT
    April 19, 2019 10:04 a.m.

I live in Utah and like the Jazz but this article is an embarrassment, makes us look like whiners. James Harden may not be everyone's favorite player but I can think of many "superstars" that I don't like aspects of their game. Like it or not, Harden gets results. If you think he is cheating then write a letter to the league but I see travelling and other violations of NBA rules with other players especially superstars. If Harden's stats were solely points scored then I might agree a little but he regularly gets close to 10 or more assists per game. This year he was in the top 50 in rebounds (good for a guard), second in steals, 7th in assists. So you have a right to your opinion but if the Jazz had a player like that I bet there would be no complaints. Haters are going to hate. I remember people criticizing John Stockton even calling him the "pasty gangsta" but he was a great player and very effective during his career. Personally, I find Harden entertaining, more so than other stars. Like it or not, the league has moved to a more offensive friendly approach. I guess for some life would be better without Harden because their teams would benefit if they didn't have to face him.

• Stenodude7174 St. Louis, MO
    April 19, 2019 9:57 a.m.

@majmajor - Layton, UT

"This isn't about Harden; this is about the NBA being rigged, for decades, against the small market teams."

Obviously. That's why the Spurs have been the most successful franchise of the past 20 years. That ranking of the 26th largest market in the NBA got the refs on their side. This is also why the Knicks and Nets have won all those titles. It's also why Cleveland (20th), Miami (17th), and Detroit (15th) have rings. That's half your rings over the last 20 years, none within the top half of the league in market size. Oops.

Any other unsupportable theories you'd like me to debunk?

• Valhalla Alpine, UT
    April 19, 2019 9:43 a.m.

Um, Scoreboard.

• There You Go Again St George, UT
    April 19, 2019 9:37 a.m.

When dougs favorite team features a gunner...

No Problem.

When an NBA team features a gunner...

Big Problem.

BTW,

I have no dog in the fight.

I have long held that the NBA has developed into a league of rich guys exercising who rarely get after it until the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter/period.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2019 9:02 a.m.

It is not a violation until the officials call it. Some apparently think that Mueller should investigate collusion in NBA officiating. The analytics say that Harden exploits the available opportunities and is the most explosive offensive player in the NBA.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    April 19, 2019 8:38 a.m.

This isn't about Harden; this is about the NBA being rigged, for decades, against the small market teams. NBA refs are biased against any player which gets in the way of a "superstar."

Betting on the NBA is as bad as anyone betting on "professional" wrestling. They are both rigged.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    April 19, 2019 8:29 a.m.

He is still more talented than anyone on our roster, even if you eliminate all of the things that drive you crazy about his game. He kicked out trash in the first game and only shot 3 free throws, and generated loads of shots for his teammates. Clearly there is more to his game than drawing fouls.

• Notahater Houston, TX
    April 19, 2019 8:23 a.m.

I am an Houstonian and a Rocket fan. I was at games 1 and 2 - re: Harden: First, the flop while shooting calls is simply a very small percentage of his scoring, he makes shots or assists. Travel, I guess it's debatable but don't complain do... I don't think it's that easy to replicate. I guess when you're getting your brains bashed in it;s not that fun to watch- but I have to tell you there was not a single rocket fan that did not enjoy both the defensive and offensive display that is J Harden. Sorry to say it Jazz fans but you're lockdown D is just not that impressive and that should be where you focus your whining!

• NobodySpecial Alpharetta, GA
    April 19, 2019 6:54 a.m.

Agree 100%

When Harden has the ball and he's dancing around the three point line, he's not trying to score or make a great pass (what we call "basketball"), he's looking to draw a foul.

He kicks out his leg on the shot, he swoops his arms underneath the defender's, he stops suddenly to get the defender to run into him, he hooks, he flops to the floor if anyone is anywhere close to him, etc. And, as a result, everything the defender does is about trying not to touch him.

It's not basketball.

• JasonH84 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2019 6:29 a.m.

I completely agree with this article and appreciate the compelling data, but publishing it with the Jazz down 2-0 looks like nothing more than sour grapes.

• write4u2 North Salt Lake, UT
    April 19, 2019 1:32 a.m.

Since the DesNews said my original comment was insensitive to Doug. I'll be more sensitive this time.

Doug, I don't think you give enough credit to Harden. He's an incredible talent with unbelievable finesse. Why don't you appreciate the precision in his shots, passing, and timing? I think it's poor sportsmanship to denigrate someone who is playing some of the greatest offensive basketball in the history of the game. And I am a diehard Jazz fan, probably more rabid than you, but I also can appreciate a great opponent.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    April 18, 2019 11:30 p.m.

Too bad the author is living in the past.

Hardin is mentioned with MJ and Wilt, any Jazz mentioned in that group?

Kobe began swinging his arms and drawing fouls. Hardin has only developed that move to a greater extent.

No Jazz player can score like him. Korver who is the biggest 3 point threat has to have an opening to loft his three pointers. Hardin can hit threes with people hanging on him, Crowder and Ingles can be standing open and hit fewer 3's than Hardin covered like he was in bed.

Hate to say it but the Jazz had to go to Houston last year and knew they would probably have to go again this season, still they cannot figure a way past one person.

Hardin has to be admired as he can shoot and play like very few others who have ever played in the league. Were the Jazz so fortunate to ever get a player of this caliber articles like this would never happen

• fortydam OREM, UT
    April 18, 2019 10:10 p.m.

Thank you, I’ve turned it off for every Houston game this season. It’s just a show, the media and the referees have this guy going to the finals. One set of rules for the league and another for him. If you can’t stand three feet from him without a whistle being blown, even when you don’t touch him, then how do you play the game. Just look at the foul discrepancies in the first two playoff games.

• Puukko Orem , 00
    April 18, 2019 10:03 p.m.

This article is spot on. I've always thought that you'd have to be a Rockets fan to like his game. It's cringe worthy, just horrible to watch basketball. But their definitely kicking the Jazz's butt for sure.

• water rocket , 00
    April 18, 2019 9:41 p.m.

I agree with most every thing you say, however there is no mistaking the fact that Harden has more assists than any Jazz player. In the first game Mitchell had 5 turnovers and ZERO assists. The only way to beat Harden at his own game is to play better team ball. The Jazz are getting suckered into playing one on one, or improvised plays. The Rockets have taken away Gobert's pick and roll and the Jazz haven't figured out how vital scoring at the rim is. Get Rudy and Favors the ball at the rim and forget about Mitchell trying to launch his shoe deal.