Ricky Rubio vows Utah Jazz won’t quit after falling behind 0-2 in Houston Rockets playoff series

• Hugh G. Hayter Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2019 2:03 p.m.

I knew the holier than thou crowd would show up sooner or later.

They can't help but try to sound smart tearing other people down. If you don't like someone's opinions just ignore them. Crybabies complaining about crybabies.

Rubio is bust. The last time he had a good game was what, December? The nba changes fast.
    Sitting still is getting left behind. And that is what is happening to the Jazz. It has been standard operating procedure for the Jazz since the end of the Stockton/Malone era (dwill was luck that was squandered).

• Puukko Orem , 00
    April 19, 2019 7:52 a.m.

Specter and Xert-

Fantastic comments.

Agree, bandwagon fans take a walk. They whine and complain like they have so much invested. We've had a awesome season. Seen some good team basketball. Rubio and Favors, the two guys that had been mentioned in trade rumors and not being resigned next year, have by far been the best players in the playoffs. Pull together Jazz and lets see if we can win a couple games. Go Jazz

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    April 18, 2019 4:58 p.m.

Specter and Xert-
    You guys are right. Thanks for the good assessment.
    I hope all of the haters just go away. it is a good, entertaining team, without knuckleheads or drama. I prefer this team. And for all of the "fans" who write "Should of" when they mean "Should have," it will be nice to not read your posts.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    April 18, 2019 4:28 p.m.

Not sure what Jazz fans are howling about.... We brought back the same guys that was beat last year by Houston 4-1.

This is clearly on the head of Dennis Lindsay. HE brought back these players, HE did not trade for Connelly, HE signed a often injuried Exum to a 3 yr contract.

Where's Joe Ingles? is he really worth the 50 Million we are paying him... Got his $$$ and now, and his production went down.

They need to get right of 3-6 players on this rosters and STOP with the "best part of the team, is the team" mantra... it clearly is not working.

• SPECTER BUTTE, MT
    April 18, 2019 3:15 p.m.

To all of you giving up...beat it and dont come back.
    To all of you saying we need Kemba or someone else....Rubio has been the best jazz player in the playoffs.
    Win game 3 and let's see what confidence does.
    I believe in these players. Winning 50 in the regular season in the West is amazing.
    To those of you ripping Korver. Until the playoffs he had not played since 3/29 against Washington. Wake up and watch a game or two.
    I believe they win the 2 in utah. If so...Houston will feel the pressure of game 5. Lots of if's but I believe.

On a side note...allowing Harden to cheat is getting old. If he us so good he would do it without cheating. If the NBA took away the blatant push off and the obvious travel...he isnt even an all star.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    April 18, 2019 12:52 p.m.

Jimmer has had enough chances, he isn't NBA material. In this latest stint with Phoenix he made 22 points on 29 shots. Shots 27% and didn't make a single 3. Yeah I don't think he is what we need.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    April 18, 2019 12:41 p.m.

Rockets win by:

32 points;
    20 points;
    15 points;
    8 points.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    April 18, 2019 12:35 p.m.

What has happened to Mr. Korver, as one of the top ten 3 point shooters in the NBA he has disappeared during the last two games. Is it the way the Rockets are defending or a result of his injury?

• md Cache, UT
    April 18, 2019 12:33 p.m.

The Jazz are awesome! They had the misfortune of being matched up with a team that is better than them. I don't think there is a team in the west that matches up better, player for player, than Houston does against us.
    To the fans who are jumping off of the bandwagon...bye bye. See you next time they are playing well.
    It is just a game. I love to see them play well, but can't quit on them when they aren't playing well. They need some shooters. Korver would have been that guy (7 years ago). Ingles needs to let it fly more readily.
    We need Kemba Walker.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    April 18, 2019 12:27 p.m.

I wonder if Hayward is still sad he left?

hint...Boston up 2-0

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2019 11:45 a.m.

The Jazz need Jimmer. He could shoot them to victory.

Just give him a chance.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    April 18, 2019 10:56 a.m.

The Jazz are toast

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    April 18, 2019 9:12 a.m.

Like Steve D, I have also worked with many NBA players and coaches to help get players out of shooting slumps. At least, I think I have. Let's put it this way: I send them my advice and they either "read and heed it" or "my advice is rejected---and they end up feelin' disrespected" (that's the logo on my card; my wife made it up). My specialty is left-handed shooting from beyond the top of the key and I have come up with some tips to help Joe Ingles.

First, he needs to see video of every single shot he took. Then he should make a compilation of all of the shots he hit as compared to the ones he missed. Third part---and this is probably the most important part,
    3a. Do all of the same things you were doing when you made the shot.
    3b. Avoid doing any of the things you did on the shots you didn't make.
    4. Pop some Jiffy Pop for while you are watching these compilations. It's tasty, crunchy good and Stephen Curry eats a lot of popcorn. Wash it down with a chilled Capri Sun.

PS--Were Chris P and Jimmy Harden playing video games on an Ipad during the 3rd quarter last night? They seemed to be having to much fun to have been studying anything.

• Vonsvomit Tooele, UT
    April 18, 2019 8:58 a.m.

Where do I begin. To start with, the Utah Jazz are going to be clean swept by a far, far superior Houston team made up of players who actually want to play ball. That's not to say the Jazz does not play ball. They just do not play basketball as they have proven thus far in tbis play off series.

The Jazz have been put under the heel of superior Houston team every time the two teams have played in this series. And they have been squashed like roaches. It is something to hear Rubio vow that the team will never give up. But my question to Rubio is when is the team going to finally play some ball?

Instead we get pointless op eds from Kyle Korver. We get lousy defense. Lousy shooting from the 3pt areas. And players who look like a bunch of keystone cops on the court. And to tell you the truth, as a Jazz fan, I am ashamed of this mediocre Jazz team. And you can bet this Jazz fan will not be buying tickets next season, because one things for sure, the Jazz are the greatest farce on earth.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    April 18, 2019 8:31 a.m.

Houston just hit a ton of shots, period. They have some world class players, but the Jazz didn't give up. I saw every player giving great effort. Sure it would've been nice to hit shots at the same clip they did in the regular season, but they didn't. But for those who think the Jazz quit, I completely disagree, their body language never showed quit.

• StocksOnTheRocks Kaysville, UT
    April 18, 2019 7:45 a.m.

Will Quin Snyder Show Up For Game 3 or is "coach injured ?"

• goforit Provo, UT
    April 18, 2019 7:39 a.m.

Can Jazz fans, management and media stop with the we develope players better than most. Mitchell and Gobert should be All-Stars. We are just one piece away from contending. Contending for what second round win. Jazz ought to thank Pistons because they have company as the worst playoff team in the first round.

Mitchell and Gobert are good, but this series shows they are far from elite. You can pad stats in the regular season to make you look great. Playoffs shows what you trully are. Snyder is the most overrated coach in the league, not even in the top ten.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 18, 2019 6:57 a.m.

How can we tell if they do quit? They were done in the 1st quarter last night. The only reason this wasn't another 32+ point blowout is that the Rockets bench was playing at the end of the 3rd quarter and the entire 4th quarter. Now, maybe they'll stop pretending that they have to make some "minor adjustments" to beat Houston and start all over. By now, they only question is, will they at least win one game?

• Steve D Orem, UT
    April 18, 2019 5:41 a.m.

I’ve worked with NBA players and coaches to help players get out of shooting slumps. Here’s what Donavan needs to do: Have the Jazz videographer put together a 20-minute “highlight” video of Donovan repeatedly making 3 pt shots. Then have Donovan watch this video alone on a large screen in a darkened room — right before practice, after practice and and an hour before a game. This will help him reestablish rhythm and confidence. I’ve had this work for players especially during the playoffs when doubt leads to tension and tension throws off rhythm and then leads to a downward spiral of lost confidence and more increased tension. Try it. What have you got to lose?

• jumpinjax22 clinton, UT
    April 18, 2019 1:14 a.m.

To: Utah Jazz,

Where are you guys? I showed up here in Houston on Friday and could have desperately used some help the last few days. It's been a long, miserable few days and things went as bad as expected considering I have been here by myself, with the exception of Royce and Ricky showing up for a bit today! I'm on my way home and we go back to work Saturday night, Really hope to see a few of you there,
    Sincerely: Derrick
    P.S. has anyone seen Joe? I'm starting to worry that maybe he got lost :(

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 18, 2019 1:02 a.m.

Utah quit after 5 minutes in the 1st.

Houston is a MUCH better team. I smell a sweep!

The Jazz should of traded Exum, Favors, and Rubio for a 3rd piece to add to the Gobert and Spider Mitchell foundation.

When does Lillard's contract expire?

• jumpinjax22 clinton, UT
    April 18, 2019 12:53 a.m.

These two games have been just about too much to watch! For the life of me I wish i could make sense of the fact that the Jazz weren't willing to part with Exum, and they wanted Favors in the deal for Connelly instead. Ha, and at the end of the season jazz fans will, once again, say Favors needs to go because he's not a good fit even tho he is the only guy to show up both games! Hate to break it to all of you that think that way but nobody can shoot a 3 on this team when the pressure is on. Crowder isn't a better fit! Just look at the numbers. Favors was the only + player in game 1 and was our best player last night. Rubios numbers were ok but Houston didn't even guard him from the 3. Connelly wouldn't be enough but it would of been a step in the right direction. Just ask Houston if an over-the-hill washed up pg. can be of use.