Michael Gerson: The danger of viewing politics as a team sport

• patrioticAMERICAN South Jordan, UT
    April 19, 2019 12:03 p.m.

That must be why Trump and Guilliani have moved the goal posts so often since his inauguration, and why Repubs now pretend that the end zone is the 50-yard line.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 17, 2019 10:11 p.m.

Politics isn't a team sport. Not that team sports aren't, at least covertly, a rich mans' game. No, politics is more like yachting or dressage. You can watch, and you can have a fishing boat or horse. But you need a boat ton of money to actually participate. Otherwise, you're just a spectator.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 17, 2019 7:30 p.m.

I remain a committed No Trump conservative, always have, always will. This is in part because I am a George W. Bush type bleading heart conservative who is very pro-immigration reform. However I have bit the bullet and voted for enemies of regularizing the status of undocumented immigrants before, even if I did return Chris Cannon to office because of his stance on this issue.

Why could I not vote Trump even though I did not want Mrs. Clinton shifting the balance of the court. Because character matters, and I remember that as the searing indictment against W. J. Clinton in my tean years. Well, character is something that Trump lacks. He cheated on his first wife. He attempted to use eminent domain to drive widows out of their homes to expand his casino. I could go on and on. I can not support such a person as the head of my country, and so I could not vote for him.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    April 17, 2019 4:43 p.m.

@Impartial7: "Since Citizens United, most of our politicians are owned by corporations."

Had you complained about the vast influence of organized labor prior to Citizens United you'd have some credibility today. Ditto if you'd raised alarms about a biased media exerting too much influence. But since you were fine with huge amounts of labor money flowing into politics and media placing their entire hands on the scales, but only got upset when the business side was allowed a level playing field, your complains look a more like sour grapes than any kind of astute political insights.

Consider on the core of your complaint. Corporations don't get any votes. All they can do is advertise and appeal to citizens to vote one way or another.

If citizens can be swayed to make bad voting decisions by advertising, talk radio, internet fake news, or biased reporting, then we must accept that direct democracy (ie citizens' initiatives) are at least as problematic as any other election.

Ignorant or immoral (including covetous) people cannot govern themselves very long. Being swayed by dishonest ads, or motivated to live at someone else's expense is the problem. Respecting free speech is not.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2019 2:33 p.m.

Hannity is a cheerleader that does not care about the game. He is 100 percent team always and people actually listen to him spin everynight.

• Dart Thrower Ogden, UT
    April 17, 2019 12:18 p.m.

Best book on this topic is The Sneetches by Dr. Suess. Once the Sneetches saw the futility of arbitrary division, they were content and happy.

I have also noticed that dog walkers all belong to same political faction. You greet each other, the dogs sniff each other, somebody makes a comment on the weather and you wish each other well. We all have so much more in common than we want to admit.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 17, 2019 10:56 a.m.

" Citizens can engage in civil discourse and productive compromise. Rabid fans can only be appeased by victory."

That really doesn't matter. Most Americans are angry and frustrated that their voice doesn't matter. At least those that don't fall into the Trump/FOX trap that pretends that it still does. Since Citizens United, most of our politicians are owned by corporations. The distractions that Trump throws around are designed to get people to respond emotionally rather than intellectually. Keep focused on the emotional issues like abortion, immigration, nationalism, etc. while they continue to loot the treasury. Wake up America.