'We succeed by breaking things': BYU basketball coach Mark Pope talks his approach to leadership (+podcast)

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    April 16, 2019 10:29 p.m.

Go cast that recruiting net worldwide. Bring in top talent who will be relentless in keeping the rules, improving every day on the hardwoods, win games, and take the Cougars to at least the final four.
    Coach Pope has a chance to win a lot of friends and influence a lot of people with his attitude. You gotta love it......
    Cougars are on the rise!

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    April 16, 2019 9:30 p.m.

Pope's whole attitude was relentless. You could hear it strong in his voice. He is just what BYU needs most, and I really hope he can inspire this in our players. First time I heard him speak at length, and I was ready to go through walls for him... there is no obstacle big enough complete dedication of self and team cannot overcome. Hard work and perseverance of right principles to the end and beyond is the key.

• DETERMINISM UTAH, UT
    April 16, 2019 6:51 p.m.

While relentless is a good mantra, I worry about priorities and expectations of success. It’s counterintuitive to think that BYU has employees (coach Pope) that will spend inordinate amounts of time away from what is really important, to try and win a game. I see it with Ceo’s of tech companies in the area. We revere these accomplishments, wins and wealth but ignore the hours, days, and months spent away from family and more important things. Coach Pope said he would work 24/7 to build a successful program. As a fan and a supporter of BYU and the LDS church mission and priorities I would rather you work 9-5 and go spend time with family, friends and serve in other ways.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    April 16, 2019 6:45 p.m.

Get used to the attitude of only going after players who really want to be in Provo anyway.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    April 16, 2019 5:07 p.m.

Relentless. Work ethic. Teamwork. Hates losing. We're talking about a BYU coach, right?

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    April 16, 2019 2:40 p.m.

Even though I am grateful for the wonderful record of the Rose years, I am looking forward to how "relentless" Pope will work out. Go Cougars!

Thanks for the text, which I can read much faster than listening to a podcast.

• Jimbo Low PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    April 16, 2019 2:03 p.m.

Just having a guy at the top who has won at the highest level should be a big plus (as it was with Rose); looking forward to Cougar basketball in November.

• Malihini Northern, UT
    April 16, 2019 12:49 p.m.

Hard work, relentlessness, desire, etc., etc., it all sounds good and I hope it works out but at the end of the day it's all about the W! I hope it works. I think Coach Pope has an uphill battle given the situation his AD has put this program in but I hope he can overcome it. Again, it's all about the W.

• Vernal Mom Vernal, UT
    April 16, 2019 12:27 p.m.

Mark Pope is SO refreshing. He is just what our BYU basketball players need.....relentless!
    I love it! Let's do this! Go Cougs!