Ex-Davis High teacher who sexually abused students seeks parole

'That's not the person I want to be. That's not the person I am,' Brianne Altice says

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    April 17, 2019 5:02 p.m.

After reading the “victim’s” testimony, I say she’s done enough time. Let her go.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    April 17, 2019 10:38 a.m.

@jparry
    I do enjoy the New Testament.

But we are to understand that in the case cited by you, they were consenting adults.

In this case, I'd look at Matthew 18:6 for guidance. Just sayin'.

• Pagosa Kid SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 17, 2019 7:58 a.m.

One comment said “she needs counseling not prison”. I agree with that. Yes 2 years time served was appropriate. She’ll never teach again.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    April 17, 2019 7:06 a.m.

If she was a man she'd be looking at at least 15 more years or more. She needs to stay incarcerated.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    April 17, 2019 5:36 a.m.

I would suppose that if you took a poll at the Utah State Prison, 95% pf the inmates would say they have reformed and are ready to be released.

And our parole boards don't exactly do a great job divining who is ready for the street.

• Cougarbib2 Moorpark, CA
    April 17, 2019 1:54 a.m.

Not yet. Maybe at the 5 year mark start to think about it.

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    April 17, 2019 1:41 a.m.

multiple victims, one even while she was out on bail? i vote No.

• rogerdpack Orem, UT
    April 16, 2019 11:56 p.m.

She probably needs counseling, not prison...

• libs think what??? Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2019 6:44 p.m.

this is a tough call. it's hard to know if it safe yet to release her. I hope for her sake she truly has changed, but it is hard to know

• lwc61 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2019 5:52 p.m.

I am of the opinion that she deserves a chance to live back in society, and only because of all the hard-core criminals (who are violent) are somehow released from prison and among us.

How do these guys walk our streets and she cannot? I'm not minimizing her actions, but something seems out of balance here...

• jparry Provo, UT
    April 16, 2019 5:04 p.m.

The story told in the Gospel of St. John, Chapter 8, might have turned out differently if commenters on this article had been in the crowd.

• Captain Bracegirdle Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2019 4:34 p.m.

So sad all the way around. I can't see an easy solution here. Nothing will change until she changes herself and it's so hard to know if/when that happens. I'm glad I don't have to make the call.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    April 16, 2019 3:39 p.m.

That's quite a gap between 2020 and 2045. I would say the guidelines are screwed up.

As for release, our system does a poor job judging who is ready to return to society. Recidivism is high, over 65%.

Sex crimes have a psychological component, making them harder to treat and predict redemption.

In her case, she had serious responsibilities to a baby, spouse and students. She violated them all. Personally, I'd keep her locked up until she was post-menopausal. Another 15 years ought to do it.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    April 16, 2019 3:00 p.m.

@Kralon: We also have to remember that Norway's justice system works because it is applied to Norwegians. :)
    I strongly suspect that it would just be taken advantage of by the more hardened criminal elements in the USA.
    When was the last time you heard of a "Norwegian Gangster Syndicate" or "The Norwegian rape gangs" ? Are "Norwegian Drug Cartels" even a thing ? :)

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    April 16, 2019 2:36 p.m.

I used to be pretty rigid in calling for punishment, but the truth is punishment doesn't really help. It doesn't help the perp change, neither does it deter future offenders, and victims are seldom satisfied.

After reading about Norway's justice system, where the incarceration rate and recidivism rate are both one-tenth or lower than the U.S. on a per capita basis, I think we need a massive overhaul of our "justice" system, which would include a social overhaul as well. And just to bring it back to this case, sexual abusers' recidivism rate in Norway is below their average recidivism rate.

Time for the U.S. to step up and learn from other countries' success.

• rlsintx Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 16, 2019 1:02 p.m.

Get back to her after 15. 3 ? And one while out on bail...

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    April 16, 2019 12:29 p.m.

It costs a lot of money to keep people in prison. She already would not be hired to teach in a school with young men. I am impressed by the quotes in the article that she is taking full responsibility. I think she is a good candidate for parole. She would easily be able to find a man or men of a legal age to date or perhaps even find a steady relationship or marriage.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    April 16, 2019 12:20 p.m.

"One relationship continued while she was out on bail following her initial arrest. "

Nope.

With a side order of "No way!"

• Bountiful Guy Bountiful, UT
    April 16, 2019 12:07 p.m.

I'm good with a few more years. I expect the board will be too.

• The Great Helmsman Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2019 11:40 a.m.

Nope.

• BigEasySLC Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2019 11:34 a.m.

She sounds to have gotten all the feel-good, pop psychology lingo down pat.

Her attorney and whatever self-help guru she is parroting should be proud!!!

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    April 16, 2019 11:26 a.m.

I will not say what term she should serve. But 2 years seems light. Had this been a male, would we consider releasing him this early?

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2019 11:06 a.m.

@mustafa

Unfortunately the #metoo movement is unilateral in a lot of minds. Can you imagine if she was a he?

Good gracious...

• mufasta American Fork, UT
    April 16, 2019 10:49 a.m.

They should be blind to sex of the perpetrator when evaluating these matters. She should be treated as any other repeat sex offender. Her actions were just as destructive as any other sex offender in a position of trust. She should not be granted parole..she should serve 15-life.