Utah to make ‘major announcement’ regarding Rice-Eccles Stadium expansion

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 15, 2019 6:28 p.m.

Michigan Cougsfan68 - Ann Arbor, MI
    April 14, 2019 6:52 p.m.
    Brave Sir Robin,
    If you think that Utah doesn't offer free or discounted football tickets to local media outlets and worthy groups and organizations then you are in some serious denial and I have some nice Indiana ocean front property and a bridge and French tower to sell you!!!!!!!!!

------

Free/Discounted Tickets:

* Utah offers 2,484
    * BYU offers 31,832

Thanks for playing.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    April 15, 2019 3:35 p.m.

To the BYU fans:

Hey, if expansion smack is all you have.................then this is the article for you.

RES definitely has WiFi and they upgraded it significantly a couple yrs. ago.

The golf comment was good. And dare I say, us Ute fans "teed that up for you"...;-)

I agree with needing more bathrooms but we did add one (1) a couple yrs. ago. Hope they resolve that issue with this expansion.

Food? Lot's of really good options at RES actually.

Finally, more of the stadium projects around the country for college football, have decreased the seating capacity of their larger stadiums, while adding more luxury amenities. Places like Michigan, Nebraska and some other blue chippers, added both. And those were already HUGE stadiums. They are the exception.

Utah is adding both seats and amenities. Certainly needed more seats and wanted to draw in more corporate $$.

It's ultimately really good for the community and for recruiting.

BYU should increase the actual size of each seat, ultimately reducing the total seat capacity. Get it down to 60K and it would be WAY more comfortable.

• Michigan Cougsfan68 Ann Arbor, MI
    April 14, 2019 6:52 p.m.

Brave Sir Robin,

• Rusty Filter ,
    April 13, 2019 4:52 p.m.

The no WiFi was a joke right?

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    April 13, 2019 2:46 p.m.

Not much for Utah fans, except for adding a name to the new section of expensive seats.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    April 13, 2019 12:21 p.m.

Put some bathrooms and decent food in there too!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 13, 2019 11:52 a.m.

Sigh...it only took two posts before a BYU-P fan (rent free, every day) came along with attendance smack.

Why does capacity matter? Number of people actually in attendance is what matters, and considering BYU-P has entire empty sections down there at Skittles Stadium, I'm not sure I'd be bragging about actual attendance.

Ticket prices are an interesting indicator too. Besides MUSS tickets, all seats at RES command premium price. Resale tickets always go above face value. Contrast that with BYU-P tickets, which you can get free from your stake president or for $5 at your local burrito chain.

• Rusty Filter ,
    April 13, 2019 11:26 a.m.

Are ute fans now comparing there atmosphere to a golf tournament? Y’all said it not me.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    April 13, 2019 10:51 a.m.

"No hard feelings about coming a little closer to (but still falling considerably short of) our capacity at LES"
    I wouldn't make the trade. A larger stadium that never sells out due to the continued failure of the independent experiment? Not worth it.

I prefer the well thought out approach to expansion and improving the game day experience. Recognize the competition with the High Definition home experience. Some schools think the answer is building a walkway connecting endzone seating to the main stadium. Wow. Exciting. Looking forward to the Utes announcement.

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    April 13, 2019 10:14 a.m.

Regarding no wi-fi, leave your phones at home or in your car and enjoy the game.

The Masters golf tournament implemented a new policy this year, absolutely no cell phones allowed, one violation and you're banned for life.

• Rusty Filter ,
    April 13, 2019 7:39 a.m.

Who
    Are you saying that Rice Eccels doesn’t have stadium WiFi? And y’all say BYU is living in the passed?

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    April 12, 2019 11:32 p.m.

I am sad to see this. No hard feelings about coming a little closer to (but still falling considerably short of) our capacity at LES, but I actually like the more "throw-back" traditional atmosphere at the Ute stadium compared to the modern versions of "bowl" configurations. Oh well, I attend games there only about once every two years in any event.

I'm hoping for a big Utah loss on Aug 29 in Provo but then I genuinely wish the Utes well in PAC-12 play (although I am not nearly as optimistic about your prospects as most of my Utah fan acquaintances are).

Best of luck with your new expansion anyway.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 12, 2019 10:16 p.m.

Any thoughts on what the announcement will reveal?

Possibilities: 1) greater capacity than previously announced 2) A faster time frame ie. begin immediately after the last game this season 3) Other enhancements ie. wi fi, other? 4) Major donor(s) to name field and or suite area or ?

Personally, I would love a combination of the above.

Other ideas? (have at it BYU fans!)