South Korean babies born Dec. 31 become 2-year-olds next day

• dogbreath Francis, UT
    April 12, 2019 6:48 p.m.

I wonder how they factor in leap years to this equation?

• Oh, please! Saint George, UT
    April 12, 2019 3:07 p.m.

A strange tradition indeed. It seems incredibly weird that a parent would be very upset about this knowing that it's not really true that their baby was two years old in a matter of hours or days.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    April 12, 2019 1:18 p.m.

For the record it is not January 1st that they turn a year older it is the Lunar New Year which is normally the end of January or the first week or so of February. So everyone is a year older on Lunar New Year

I was born the middle of January and a week later I was 2. So now I am actually 2 years older than my drivers license says.

Living in Asia with my family and children we learned a lot about Asian culture

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    April 12, 2019 12:26 p.m.

Our 6th child (a girl, 1 of 9 children we have, & 5th of our 7 girls) was born December 31st, & her birth was induced. We went for the tax deduction, over the chance to possibly win prizes as 1st baby born in the new year, opting for a sure & bigger thing.

Jesus' rising on the "3rd day" in the Bible, was likely resurrected just 36 hours after being crucified. The method of counting among Jews then evidently could barely touch upon the very end & very 1st of the 3 days counted to qualify for him rising on the "3rd day" (the very end of Friday, & likely close to dawn early on Sunday.

To us, it seems a silly thing for South Koreans to fret over. And it may be a bigger deal since South Koreans currently average having only about 126 babies per 200 adults per lofetime, a rate 6th from the bottom of national fertility rates in the world, a rate that approaches halving each human generation there, every subsequent generation.

BTW, the US's average TFR (the estimated rate at which women, will likely have during their childbearing years, given the rate they are having babies now) is 1.86.

FYI, 2.12 is the TFR for exact replacement in the US, a # we have not had since 1970, 49 years ago!

• Yorkshire Logan, UT
    April 12, 2019 10:26 a.m.

Sort of like 11 year olds who turned 11 late in 2018 were suddenly on Jan 1st 'twelve' year old Deacons & Beehives :)

• OlderGreg USA, CA
    April 12, 2019 10:18 a.m.

I was born in the 1900s. I am now living in the second century of my existence. I am 200 years old?

• chazkron Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2019 9:15 a.m.

This is exactly the opposite of what happens to Chinese gymnast babies. They actually lose 2 years on the day of their birth.