Authorities say deputy's son behind fires at black churches

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    April 13, 2019 2:32 a.m.

Interesting to read the differences in comments on this story vs the comments on reports of those caught burning or otherwise vandalizing local churches.

I am compelled to ask what is the difference between a local arsonist who needs help and forgiveness vs the accused in this case who needs a lifetime or even extra-judicial capital sentence?

• Bob Tanner Price, UT
    April 12, 2019 4:39 p.m.

The young man(arsonist) should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. End of story.

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2019 8:23 a.m.

"Matthews had a defender in Nygyl Bryyn, a Facebook friend who identified himself as a south Louisiana native, musician, entrepreneur and agent. In a telephone interview from Los Angeles, Bryyn described Matthews as a talented, sometimes frustrated musician but not a racist or violent person."

"As far as being a white supremacist? No. Absolutely not," Bryyn said."

Yeah, that's a good defense, he should go with that.

lost in DC - West Jordan, UT

"Too bad we see such lack of tolerance for religion in so many of the comments on these boards. I wonder if there is a connection?"

Too bad we see a lack of tolerance FROM religion in so many of the comments on these boards. I wonder if there is a connection?

"Whale of fortune
    Yes, only those of a certain race."

Not just of a certain race, but of a certain religious leaning.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    April 12, 2019 8:06 a.m.

Convict him on state charges and give him consecutive terms.

Then, let's put those Federal Hate Crime statutes, that I'm not fond of, to good use and give him more consecutive terms up to life.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 11, 2019 2:53 p.m.

Opelousas, like most towns/cities in the South is heavily racially mixed. Whites distrust Blacks and vice versa. It's been that way for hundreds of years. Plus, this is the heart of Cajun country, which is an entire different, unique set of circumstances. The fact that a White Sheriff arranged for the arrest of his son, instead of trying to cover it up, will go a long way to healing the community. That "kid" should spend 15 years each, for the churches that he burned. If they send him to Angola, in anything less than solitary, he won't make a year.

• EmmanuelGoldstein1984 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2019 2:02 p.m.

Having just attended a black church in the Deep South this past Sunday, and having been warmly received by numerous parishioners despite my wife and I being the only white people there, I am outraged to read something like this.

If this guy is found to be guilty, I hope he will spend the rest of his life behind bars where he belongs!

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    April 11, 2019 1:07 p.m.

I can think of a few punishments that would fit the crimes this guy is alleged to have committed, but then my comment would be blocked.

No tolerance for people who burn churches just because they don’t like the race of most of the parishioners.

Whale of fortune
    Yes, only those of a certain race.

• Unreconstructed Reb BE, 00
    April 11, 2019 12:45 p.m.

"I guess the new standard is to specify the race of criminals in the headline?"

When it goes directly to the apparent motivation of the criminal, yes.

"I remind this publication that an objective observer might interpret such a practice as racist."

Not really. But burning the churches of 3 black congregations might be interpreted as such.

Quit trying to find some bizarre victimhood in this.

• Whale of Fortune Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2019 11:28 a.m.

Oh, a white man, you say? I guess the new standard is to specify the race of criminals in the headline? Or does that only apply when the criminal is of a particular race? I remind this publication that an objective observer might interpret such a practice as racist.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    April 11, 2019 10:20 a.m.

This crime is one of the very few that I would say invoking the Federal Hate Crime statues against the suspect would be warranted.

And more so because the church was burned. Not the type of church.