Kyle Korver’s essay on white privilege draws positive reaction from Utah Jazz teammates and organization

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    April 10, 2019 7:23 p.m.

I wonder if people think white privilege never existed or just not now?And if it doesn’t exist now what changed?

We are only a generation removed from segregation and that was due to laws not people changing their hearts. I am curious if those laws were never passed what America would look like today.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    April 10, 2019 3:56 p.m.

White privilege?

How about athlete privilege?

Being raised in a rural, homogeneous area, there was no privilege to being white. And with affirmative action running wild with "diversity" being an unquestionable moral good, being a conservative, religious, heterosexual white male was anything but a benefit when it came time to apply to or pay for college.

I have given my children the best benefits I can:

I married their mother before we got pregnant amd we've stayed married;

We've emphasized education and taught work ethic;

We took the kids to church and both modeled and instilled moral values;

Discretionary income has been spent on cultural enriching activities rather than mindless commercialism;

I get up and go to work and work hard on days I'd rather sleep so as to maintain employment. I obey the law. I avoid drug use.

I recognize I was born into a better situation than many...not as good as some. But I believe most anyone can choose to do the most important things I've done to benefit my children, without regard to race or income. That too many choose to live differently doesn't mean I or my children should have to fund their decisions or feel guilty.

• BlueMoonOden Hinckley, IL
    April 10, 2019 12:09 p.m.

Dee Conner - Ivins, UT

Your comments are exactly on point and I couldn't have said them better. Part of my family came out of the union workhouses in the London slums before the immigrated around 1900. The other part were immigrants who worked in the Detroit auto industry. We were always working class and never owned slaves. My genealogy tells me no member of my family ever lived in the South. As far as I am concerned we don't owe anyone anything. It seems to me Korver is a self hating white man that is full of guilt. He doesn't speak for anyone.

• Culture Warrior Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2019 11:56 a.m.

One commenter said racism is alive and well in this country, and well, it sure is. One need only read the comments on this thread to find it in spades.

• EmmanuelGoldstein1984 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2019 11:53 a.m.

An eloquent and timely testimonial about America's dark history, now gathering new steam due to Trump's dog whistles and propaganda outlets like FoxNews and talk radio. Thank you, Kyle Korver!

Just two days ago my wife and I visited the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, on the site where Martin Luther King Jr was gunned down. It portrays the entire awful history of black slavery in America from its beginning in 1619 to its technical ending in 1865, and then its ugly Jim Crow aftermath, which in some ways continues today. I wish Memphis wasn't so far away from Utah, I wish every Utahn could visit this museum and try to imagine an entire race of people enduring such a history! They might not be so dismissive of that history as seen in some of the comments on this board.

Some here say "Don't blame me, I had nothing to do with any of that." That's true, you didn't -- at least not directly. But if we want to take pride in all the good things in our nation's history, we must also acknowledge the bad -- and try to correct their ongoing if subtle repercussions in America today. That's what Kyle Korver is saying in his heartfelt essay, and I salute him for it.

• Dee Conner Ivins, UT
    April 10, 2019 11:10 a.m.

I am white and am proud to say that I have early American ancestry who fought and died to free slaves. I feel no shame or guilt for being white. I am a woman, I’m a Christian, and I have freckles, all for which I have been “persecuted.” I know how it feels to be poor, I received no handouts, I put myself through college, I had to compete for job positions. I’ve had disappointments, I’ve had successes. Life is not fair or equal, and never will be. And no amount of blaming or shaming will make it so. Get over it and get on with your life.

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2019 10:03 a.m.

I think it is amazing just how well the comments by our usual ultra conservative posters here proved his point.

Way to not actually understand guys. Exactly what I have come to expect from you.

• jo1952 Redmond, WA
    April 10, 2019 9:49 a.m.

Virtue signalling to already virtuous people is incredibly insulting. White people are under attack all the time. We are called racists, nazis, privileged, hateful, for the color of our skin. I am not proud of being white but the Norwegian in me is what I celebrate. I was born privileged if you consider I was born to a mom and dad. Lived in a loving, Christian home. I was taught the difference between right and wrong, good and bad, love and hate. I was taught never to hate anybody or even say that word because it was so strong. I am privileged because I went to school that didn't allow disruptions and/or bad behavior. None of this privilege was based on race, it was based on culture and religion. I don't feel the need to apologize for having a good life based on good decisions or feel responsible to those whose lives are a struggle because of bad decisions.

• cowshed Provo, Utah
    April 10, 2019 7:30 a.m.

“And it came to pass that the God of heaven looked upon the residue of the people, and he wept; and Enoch bore record of it, saying: How is it that the heavens weep, and shed forth their tears as the rain upon the mountains”....

The Lord said unto Enoch: “Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency; And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father; but behold, they are without affection, and they hate their own blood;“ (Moses Ch. 7)

‘Nuff said?

We all, regardless of our background, have agency. We can use it to choose to love one another and reap the blessings of love, or we can use it to hate one another and reap the consequences of that hatred.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    April 10, 2019 1:55 a.m.

Korver works in one of the few vocations where Blacks earn more money than whites. Black privileged?

No race has more privileges than the other Internationally. With the majority comes privileges, it's that way in every country.

• Sportsfan123 Herriman, UT
    April 10, 2019 1:17 a.m.

I get up everyday to earn a paycheck, that paycheck pays for the food my family eats, it pays for the clothes on their backs, it pays for the roof over their heads, it pays for the car we drive to get the kids to school.

I work everyday to provide for me and my family, I have never woke up any day of my life with expectations of being privileged for anything because of the color of my skin.

The term white privilege is as racist and hateful as any other derogatory term or word associated with racism.

When there is affirmative action and a united college fund, or a gauranteed check in the mail from the government because of my race then you can call me privileged.

If people in this country believe in the fake victimhood peddled by the left and the media because of slavery and
    Jim crow laws of the past then they should look at history and the political party that endorsed those racist laws before pointing any fingers.

I will give you a hint, it is not the republican's.

• Scott1 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2019 10:17 p.m.

Now that Kyle Korver has addressed the important issue of white privilege, he can tackle some other important issues such as nice-smile and handsome-guy privilege, tall-guy privilege, good-health privilege, two-good-parents privilege, well-educated privilege, millionaire privilege along with big topics such minority-victim privilege. Perhaps affirmative action or reparations could be set up to even the playing field here.

• Aggielove Caldwell, ID
    April 9, 2019 9:16 p.m.

I for one don’t like his essay. And I will never agree I hit some lottery. I think that’s why I don’t watch the nba for 20 years now. It’s a guilt trip.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    April 9, 2019 8:42 p.m.

Life isn't fair and it never will be. Furthermore, you cant legislate fairness.

I make no apologies for being a white male, American and a doctor. I have earned my successes in life through long hours and sacrifice, nothing was given. My scholastic achievements were in spite of affirmative action, which is blatant racism against caucasians.

Grow up people. You are a victim if you choose to be. Success comes to those that sacrifice and endure, regardless of skin color.

• FelisConcolor Layton, UT
    April 9, 2019 7:47 p.m.

"Only tone deaf to people who are ignorant of the reality around them that racial disparities still exist."

As opposed to people who see racism in the most innocent and normal of human activities? If you think your neighbors are all hateful bigots then perhaps you are the one who is prejudiced, and not them.

This trend of finding racism in every locale and situation reminds me strongly of the hidden Satanic message panics of the late '70s and early '80s, when hypersensitive religious hucksters "found" subtle, lascivious messages promoting Devil worship and sexual immorality in places as diverse as pop music lyrics played backwards, and advertisements for baby food.

Except now the hucksters are the ones who see racism in every statement and action that does not conform to their political views. But the puritanical view that the Evil must be cast out in order to purify society is the same.

• the greater truth Bountiful, UT
    April 9, 2019 7:38 p.m.

@JoCo Ute

Why don't spew that white privilege nonsense to white homeless people on the
    street and the white people living poverty and in slums everywhere.

See how far your liberal self-righteousness gets you.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    April 9, 2019 7:35 p.m.

I was reading some comments about Korver on Glenn Beck's Facebook page (The Blaze). It doesn't speak well of conservatives who over and over lambasted him because he was a pro basketball player expressing an opinion. I need to say this to our conservative friends: just because you play basketball or do any occupation doesn't mean you can't express yourself and do it eloquently. Just because you play basketball doesn't mean that has to be your only interest in life and you have no thoughts beyond your job. It is disappointing because Glenn Beck is basically worshipped conservatives in this state. I wonder just because he was some disc jockey in Utah County whether he would have anything of value to say on anything. But that wouldn't be fair as is some of the criticism of Korver by many in the conservative set. Disagree with his ideas but discounting him and his intellect because he is just a "pro basketball player" is not right.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 9, 2019 7:01 p.m.

Utemythology:
    "But a negative reaction from "Utah County" Jazz fans."

And this is why you have such vitriol and bigotry in this country. An ignorant individual jumps on social media or comment boards and lumps people into a group because of the county they live in, of all things, and judges how they view Korver's statement on racism.

I think for people like "mythology" this is just his BYU bias showing again, which seems to cause cognitive constipation regarding the meaning behind Korver's essay and his call for more understanding and civility. Spewing prejudgments based on what county someone lives in is the epitome of prejudice and bigotry. Just love your neighbor Myth and treat them how you want to be treated without throwing them under the bus for being from "Utah County". Smh

• Mark321 Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 9, 2019 6:14 p.m.

@ I'm smarter than you

"I'm a white male and I am very proud of that. "

I'm neither proud nor ashamed of my ethnicity. This is just how the biological dice rolled for me. Nothing to be proud or ashamed of about that. The only thing there is to be proud or ashamed is the kind of man I turn out to be. This is true for any man or woman irregardless of race or ethnicity.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2019 6:02 p.m.

@FelisConcolor

• Jackrabbit! Nampa, ID
    April 9, 2019 4:44 p.m.

To the Jazz players...whether you're white or black ...you are privileged the play the game of basketball and make millions of dollars doing it. It is so much fun to be entertained by you. As a Jazz fan...I watch you and don't think much about how much you make! We pay lots of money in ticket sales, TV services and other marketing to pay YOU, the Jazz organization and the NBA to make these "privileged" incomes! We do this to escape the politics of the day. I love the entire Jazz roster regardless of the color of skin on the floor. I acknowledge racism exist with all kinds of religions, cultures and peoples in the world. However, little by little we have improved over the years as a Nation to correct that. "White Privilege" is a made up term to keep reverse racism alive and well! Play basketball not politics.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    April 9, 2019 3:27 p.m.

I enjoyed is article. Racism is alive and well in this country, and yes it can be racism against whites as well.

I have lived in Utah my whole life and not had much experience with racism, but it's important for those of us who might be in a similar situation to listen to the dialogue and not be so quick to project our own experiences onto others. In other words if a person of color tells me that racism is alive and well, and if Westbrook tells me that being called a "boy" is racist, then I am going to believe him and accept that it is racist.

That's really what is comes down to and what Korver is trying to say. The way that so many of us dismiss racism and discredit minorities by saying "that's not racism" is itself racist. We saw it on this very website with the Westbrook incident. If the entire black community is upset over that incident and thinks it is racist, don't you think they would know better than all of us white jazz fans living in Utah Valley? We have come a long way, and apparently still have a ways to go yet.

• md Cache, UT
    April 9, 2019 2:54 p.m.

@JoCo Ute: "Now if you didn't take advantage of being a white male living in the USA, and didn't get a good education, a good job and save for retirement, that's your responsibility and no one else's. Minorities and women didn't take your job or college entrance away from you."

Minorities and women take away the jobs and college entrance from many white males, every year. This is called affirmative action. Don't think it happens? It happens, because it is mandated by the law. This is a perfect definition of racism. Try applying to the UofU School of Medicine as a Christian, white, married, male from BYU. You have to be significantly better than all other candidates to even be considered. This is racism. This is discrimination. This doesn't level the playing field. White privilege is a myth.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 9, 2019 2:05 p.m.

FelisConcolor - Layton, UT
    April 9, 2019 12:47 p.m.
    "But a negative reaction from "Utah County" Jazz fans."

It would draw a negative reaction from anyone who makes less than $100 K a year; getting lectured about "privilege" by someone who has never worked a minimum wage job during his entire adult life.

------

Unlike Donald Trump, Korver didn't grow up 5 feet from home base.

• loganma1 Orem, UT
    April 9, 2019 2:02 p.m.

Who can be a racist? Can a person of "color" be a racist? How about the black South Africans who are attacking and killing whites? Can it be Asians who looked at themselves as the best race and center of all the world (the Middle Kingdom)? Just askin'. It seems kind of simplistic and certainly fits into the oppressor/oppressed model Marx introduced in the Communist Manifesto.

But don't mind me. I'm not as enlightened as people from SL County, I guess......or as arrogant.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2019 1:40 p.m.

Pro-racial equality...but zero guilt.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    April 9, 2019 1:36 p.m.

What on Earth does that have to do with one fan insulting a guy making a minimum of over 6 times my salary in the NBA ?

Seriously ?

• Utahnareapeculiarpeople Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2019 1:32 p.m.

"Kyle Korver was ruled out of Tuesday’s regular season finale against the Denver Nuggets with right knee soreness but was still spotted at the Utah Jazz’s practice facility during shootaround."

Do the jazz know their game Wednesday has been cancelled?

As far as the reaction to the article, I'm afraid that for the most part the call for people to listen and educate themselves is just spitting into the wind. Unfortunately.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    April 9, 2019 1:31 p.m.

I have a "negative reaction" to anyone who presumes to lecture me on "White privilege".

We all have various privileges and challenges...advantages, burdens, handicaps, genetic uniquenesses, etc. If we are against racial insults, let's state that we are against racial insults and the *person* who shouted the racial insults.

"Group guilt and shame" is the very definition of "racism".
    Please....just stop it! Stop virtue-signalling and blaming an entire race!

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2019 1:15 p.m.

I'm a white male and I am very proud of that. But that doesn't make me a racist. You want to see racism? Watch any movie with a black or brown comedian. Their racist comments are called jokes. If I said anything remotely similar I would have a mob calling me a racist bigot and probably be ran out of my job.

• FelisConcolor Layton, UT
    April 9, 2019 12:47 p.m.

"But a negative reaction from "Utah County" Jazz fans."

It was a remarkably tone-deaf column by Marie Antoinette Korver.

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    April 9, 2019 12:47 p.m.

D-news readers who, like me, were born in the USA, are male and white need to understand that we won the genetic lottery. We started life with a leg up on both minorities and women. Chances are that you had access to a good school, good health care, lived in a (relatively) low pollution and low crime area.
    Opportunities abound in the USA and white males had the best road to success!

• md Cache, UT
    April 9, 2019 12:47 p.m.

I think his essay was really nice. I disagree that I, as a white man, am any more responsible for racism than anyone else. I don't think that we can lay blame on everyone, because of their skin color. That, in itself, is racism.

I don't think that special programs, affirmative action and possible reparations for slavery are ways to reduce racism or to balance the social injustices of the past.

We need to get beyond labeling articles and special projects by race. Black history month and black entertainment television need to be gone. Let's stop racism by ceasing the focus on race.
    Korver's article is nice, but it misses the point. I am not responsible for all racism, I am responsible for me.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 9, 2019 12:29 p.m.

But a negative reaction from "Utah County" Jazz fans.