'This feels like a moment to draw a line in the sand:' Utah Jazz wing Kyle Korver writes essay on white privilege, racism

• quackquack Park City, UT
    April 12, 2019 10:59 a.m.

@FelisConcolor - Layton, UT

What does Korvers Salary have anything to do with anything ? The Nobel prize winner gets a million dollars, so now that he has a million dollars his knowledge and credit goes out the door ?

Money buys experience people with money are able to experience things you can only dream about so for a guy like Korver he able to Travel the country world and see and do thing you cant afford too. I would say this give him a little more in site than the average Utahan

• Farr West MSC, UT
    April 10, 2019 7:44 a.m.

There is some really good discussion here...and some not so good. Overall I think Kyle is trying to say we just need to truly "do unto others as you would have done unto you" (The Golden Rule). We are not perfect and we all can do better.

I am troubled by the Westbrook incident. Was there conclusive evidence that the fan's comments were racist or was it a "he said...he said?" If there was, then I wholeheartedly support the Jazz management's decision. We all have been on both the giving and receiving end of comments that were basically "what you heard is not what I said/meant." That usually happens when the receiving party is looking for offense (even subconsciously). When that happens, things can escalate quickly.

I took a communication class that showed even in the best of circumstances there is about a 50% chance that verbal communication will be misunderstood.

Remember...We are not perfect and we all can do better.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    April 10, 2019 1:34 a.m.

@Uteology
    Regarding your comment:

"Research disagrees.

Hate group count hits 20-year high amid rise in white supremacy, report says."

That report does not prove racism is valid in every single accusation. The Smollett case is an example, Michael Brown (aggressive criminal) is another. I already indicated that I believe racism exists, and will add it is repugnant when it occurs, however, it is not equal to the perception we are led to believe by the media and the numbers that Kyle suggests. It is far more complicated than that. That is why I refer to it as impulsive victimization.

• blueturf Burley, ID
    April 9, 2019 11:56 p.m.

Does racism exist? Yes. Does it define the individual or a group though? It shouldn't, but it does.
    Let me preface it this way. I am LDS and I served a 2 year mission in LA. Walking down the street with my companion I was called everything from "Fed" and "Pig" to "Encyclopedia Salesman". Why? Because I was white. Was I asked if I was any of those things? No I was not. Did I hold it against a group of people because of their ignorance? No because that is just plain stupid.

This is why the "white privilege" or "black privilege" argument does not hold water with me. I think that anymore this
    "privilege " argument is just another tool to sow anger and hate amongst the masses.
    My question is when is personal responsibility going to be looked at and scrutinized? Instead of the actions of a person who may look like me or you and it be blamed on "privilege" based on skin color.

• Pig Frizzle Tremonton, UT
    April 9, 2019 8:39 p.m.

@ Squirtle - April 9, 2019 8:31 a.m

And of what political party were the ones that wanted to keep & segregate those former slaves? ... be honest!

Was it England that established slavery in the colonies?

One of the first slave owners in The American colonies was Anthony Johnson, who was Angolan (African) & he owned black & white slaves.

To help you with the first question, search history for ‘Dixiecrat’. But please do it while sitting down, I will not be responsible for any injuries you may have when your knees give out from shock.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    April 9, 2019 6:50 p.m.

@Cooldude

If you're really interested in learning if "white privilege" exists, maybe you should see what Korver is talking about, get to know some people in the African American community, and ask about their experiences, see for yourself if they're just making things up.

I'm from Utah, before I got married to a AA woman, I thought slavery ended in 1865, I certainly wasn't prejudiced and there really wasn't any more excuses. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see what my own family members, what my kids go through. It's not imaginary.

I sense that you want to just call it good and declare these problems as non-existent... which is your *privilege*. Nice tidy way to avoid the topic. Just live your life, you don't have anything to worry about.

If you were on the other side of the equation, you wouldn't be able to declare your own experiences as not happening. That's what Korver is talking about.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2019 5:59 p.m.

@toosmartforyou
    "BLM makes the issue worse."

BLM is merely asserting that because
    1. all lives should matter
    but
    2. that is not how things currently are

they are giving a voice to challenge the racial disparities that currently exist with a demand that black lives (should) matter (too).

• FelisConcolor Layton, UT
    April 9, 2019 12:32 p.m.

"While there will be a significant number of Jazz fans who harbor views like, "I don't want to be lectured to by a spoiled NBA athlete," we all know what hides behind those kinds of sentiments."

Please explain to us under what warped moral principle does a multimillionaire get to lecture ANYONE about privilege?

Kyle Korver's annual salary is approximately 122 times greater than the US median household income ($7.5 million vs. $62,000). He makes more money in a single game than the average Utahn makes in a single year. Moreover, he makes all that money by playing a kid's game, not by producing a tangible product or providing a necessary service.

He is the walking, talking embodiment of privilege; the very definition of the "One Percent". A man who has never known poverty or want during his entire adult life.

For him to tell any person of any race that they are somehow undeserving of the fruits of their labor is both ridiculous and disgusting.

• Scott1 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2019 12:03 p.m.

Now that Kyle Korver has addressed the important issue of white privilege, he can tackle some other important issues such as nice-smile and handsome-guy privilege, tall-guy privilege, good-health privilege, two-good-parents privilege, well-educated privilege, millionaire privilege along with big topics such minority-victim privilege. Perhaps affirmative action or reparations could be set up to even the playing field here.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 9, 2019 11:52 a.m.

Another example of how racism does not exist in our society today:

YouTube was forced to disable comments on a livestream of a House Judiciary hearing on hate crimes and white nationalism on social media Tuesday morning after it was flooded with racist and anti-Semitic comments.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 9, 2019 11:27 a.m.

Brave Sir Robin - San Diego, CA
    April 9, 2019 10:17 a.m.
    Jazz fans have a real opportunity to make things right after the Russell Westbrook incident, and Korver gave you the perfect forum to do it. But from reading the comments here, I think the chances of that happening are extremely low.

--------------

Racism isn't the problem for these "Utah County" Jazz fans, it's reverse racism. SAD!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 9, 2019 11:23 a.m.

@AZJazzFan
    There is a knee-jerk response of anything that can possibly be racist is racist. A knee-jerk response to victimization and not taking responsibility. Racism does exist in our society.

-------------

Research disagrees.

Hate group count hits 20-year high amid rise in white supremacy, report says.

Then again conservatives also think climate science research is a hoax by China.

• CoolUtahDude Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 9, 2019 10:43 a.m.

Who is the judge that determines when White American privilege has finally come to an end?

Who is the judge that determines when the end of White American privilege has become the beginning of African American privilege?

Is there really such as thing as White American privilege or African American privilege?

We just need to drop the rhetoric, drop the hype, quit being bleeding hearts and just live in peace. The whole race issue is a creation of those who have nothing of substance to take up their time.

• Why would I? Kaysville, UT
    April 9, 2019 10:43 a.m.

Why would I be surprised if suddenly everyone was just an "American?" I guess that's too simple....making everyone equal regardless of the color of their skin. (Sigh) Our society should be so lucky but we must quit pointing fingers at each other and even be willing to overlook offense, as well as not purposely offending others, too. Good luck---we have a ways to go.

• Oh Really? Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2019 10:40 a.m.

Fallacy of composition: Inferring that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole. This is the opposite of the fallacy of division.

Fallacy of division: Inferring that something is true of one or more of the parts from the fact that it is true of the whole. This is the opposite of the fallacy of composition.

The constant refrain of "racism," especially "systemic racism" undermines those who consider themselves "victims." Once one considers oneself a victim, and assumes their road is "harder," they also take on a form of hopelessness that robs them of the will necessary to succeed. They focus on obstacles rather than opportunities, barriers instead of solutions.

The combined annual earnings of MLB, NBA, NFL is $12.5 billion. That doesn't include endoresements. If athletes want to provide opportunities for minorities, invest in minorities.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 9, 2019 10:17 a.m.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    April 9, 2019 10:17 a.m.

@Mind Baggage -

About "black privilege" in the NBA. There are different styles of basketball, and unquestionably the European style has helped land some of those players in the NBA. When I played basketball, there was no "Euro-step".

The best players in Europe sometimes have an advantage that American players - white and black - have not had, by learning a style that has found success in the NBA, where the bottom line is winning & losing, by whatever means required.

Utah Jazz fans have come to accept and enjoy the international makeup of the Jazz: USA, France, Australia, Africa, Spain, Brazil, Sweden... wherever the best available players are from. (This doesn't mean Jazz fans are anti-American.)

Many near-NBA college players go to Europe, some of them make it back to play in the US. Sometimes those players are white Americans, who beat out African Americans, who may go to Europe to work more on their game, learn the Euro style, etc.

It's hard to mask a lack of talent in the NBA. Conversely, where players are from or what their ethnic background happens to be, is irrelevant.

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    April 9, 2019 10:03 a.m.

I've lived in the South and witnessed "racism" rear its ugly head. I recall when the Utah Stars came to SLC and Zelmo Beatty wasn't allowed to live in the neighborhood where he wanted. His salary was a whopping $25K a year. The NBA and NFL are anything but "white privileged" institutions.

One of the big problems in when anything occurs that out of circumstance involves two persons of different race, "racism" is screamed long and loudly by the press and by the attorneys. As a result, that term has really lost its significance, potency and meaning, which is sad. It's like the little boy who always cried "wolf" and when one appeared no one would believe him. Pres Obama was a master at that strategy, unfortunately. The sting of racism only goes one way, however. Labron James had a difficult time growing up, yet do you feel he is subjected to "white privilege" today? BLM makes the issue worse. Why are we always "African Americans and whites" instead of "Black Americans and White Americans", or "European Americans and African Americans"? Hollywood and the media are one-way streets. If there can only be two people in an advertisement, one must be black, one must be a woman.

• iluvnz Vernal, UT
    April 9, 2019 9:22 a.m.

Kyle, I have great respect for you as a ball player and more importantly as an individual, but I think in some ways you have missed the mark here. You say we are not "guilty" of the sins of our forefathers, but you believe we are "responsible" for them. Absolutely and unequivocally not. If your great grandfather was a serial killer or serial rapist or whatever, should you be "responsible" for his actions? You certainly would not be; nor would it be fair for anyone to assert otherwise.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    April 9, 2019 9:16 a.m.

In all honesty--I have already forgotten the name of the man who was banned from Jazz games for life. But I won't ever forget this act by Kyle Korver, or his sweet jumper. While there will be a significant number of Jazz fans who harbor views like, "I don't want to be lectured to by a spoiled NBA athlete," we all know what hides behind those kinds of sentiments. Like that banned fan--they will fade into obscurity holding on to sad and impotent memories of the days when they thought their bigotry was earned or appreciated.

Kyle Korver is a grown man and a leader and I thank him for this. This gives me hope that one day we Jazz fans will be worthy of the team the Millers have given us.

• Mind Baggage Bentonville, AR
    April 9, 2019 8:57 a.m.

Two points to this whole fiasco that stood out to me:

1) The fan's comment toward Russell Westbrook was a gay slur. The fan was trying to get him riled. He doesn't think Westbrook is gay. If he did, he wouldn't have said it. This was at worst, a bad case of gamesmanship. Not a major salvo in some perceived war of the races.

2) Left to Korver's natural conclusion about white privilege and race-- isn't the NBA a proponent of black privilege? Or at least the basketball universe in the USA seems to be that way. The game is played in a way to negatively affect white ball players. Perhaps I am being too sensitive about the fact that lots of white talent here in the States is disregarded. Kind of a "White men can't jump" attitude that permeates coaches of all races, teammates, etc. Blacks no doubt enjoy a privilege in this sphere similar to how whites enjoy privilege in larger society. How do I know? The fact that the majority of white NBA players are from outside the USA. Without a predominately black influence in Europe, whites seem to be able to better develop as players. Where here in the states they are beaten down in high school never to go further.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    April 9, 2019 8:54 a.m.

Korver did a really good job of explaining "white privilege" - he can choose to help teammates in dealing with what they encounter... but for him it's entirely an option.

In an interracial marriage with 4 kids, I know what Korver means, and what he's seen. For example, I had a coworker tell me racist jokes... before he knew who my family is. I've had my sons pulled over by the police, for tiny traffic infractions I don't even think about, like going 3 miles over the limit. My wife was stopped by the police while driving home from church... they were looking for a shoplifter.

I can make self-deprecating jokes to strangers, without worrying it will mushroom into a time consuming "incident".

It's definitely not all the time, and Utah is generally better than other places, but white privilege in the US exists. It just does. I usually don't even think about it, unless one of my family or friends has to deal with something I've never given a second thought to.

• Squirtle ,
    April 9, 2019 8:31 a.m.

@RRB - SLC, UT
    April 8, 2019 8:36 p.m.
    "Frozen Fractals

I've heard whites called those names also.

During slavery whites lost their jobs to slaves. Many whites were just as poor in the south, and unlike slaves, many had no housing or food provided to them."

Are you kidding! A race of people were violently kidnapped, taken accross the ocean in the hold of a ship with no warmth, food or enough water, living in their own feces, and forced to be a slave. they were property, not people. they were bred like cattle. they were beaten and raped; had their children taken from their arms and had absolutely no rights.

Once freed, they were given so little opportunity, that many remained share croppers, in essence still slaves, just to stay alive. They couldn't attend the same schools, ride the same bus, use the same businesses. I can assure you that nothing was "provided" for these former slaves.

And if you think this is ancient history, most of this didn't change until the 70's and continues today.

• iluvnz Vernal, UT
    April 9, 2019 8:26 a.m.

Although I do not disagree that racism exists in our country, I do disagree when people insinuate that it's the white person's problem and that all white people are racist. This will NOT be a popular opinion, but I am here to tell you that racism is a two-way street. We ALL have to look at ourselves and do better. I have absolutely nothing against any person of color...and I know many. There are good people and not so good on both sides of this issue. I refuse - as a white person - to take the brunt of the responsibility for racism. I am, however, accountable for my own actions; as we all are.

• Jello is Good ,
    April 9, 2019 8:17 a.m.

@Uteology - East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 8, 2019 11:06 p.m.

"If you listen the right reverse racism is the bigger problem.

The study, “Healing our Divided Society: Investing in America Fifty Years After the Kerner Report” by the Milton Eisenhower Foundation, disagrees with the conservative movement.

It says, "We made progress on virtually every aspect of race and poverty for nearly a decade after the Kerner Report and then that progress slowed, then stopped and in many ways was reversed, so that today racial and ethnic discrimination is again worsening.""

---------------

I know the world must be off its axis, but for the first (and probably only time) I agree completely with something Uteology has written. It was well thought out, researched, and sounds sane, actually. We are going backwords in the way we treat our fellow man as a society, with too many pointing a finger at others and crying that things aren't (or are) equal and its somebody elses responsibility "cause i'm just fine." Korver took an outward facing approach and stated that its all of our responsibilities to treat people with fairness and respect.

• Thin Blue Line ,
    April 9, 2019 8:09 a.m.

@AZJazzFan - Gold Canyon, az
    April 9, 2019 1:28 a.m.

"Racism does exist in our society, however, I believe if we had the technology to look into the hearts and minds of people there is far less racism than the perception we are led to believe."

If only that were true. I strongly believe that there is more bigotry, purposeful or ignorantly, in peoples' hearts and minds and they simply do not speak or act out on what they feel. In the past two years hate crime is up two fold in the US and we all know that people feel increased freedom to degrade and demean at will. I believe this is because many are following the example of our President and freely stating and acting out on what is really in their hearts and minds.

As a life long member of the church for over 50 years, but having only lived in Utah while attending BYU, I am always shocked at the lack of empathy and compassion coming from some who claim to be Christian. King Benjamin taught charity and that it was wrong to judge whether they may have brought their situation on themselves.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    April 9, 2019 8:06 a.m.

If we are talking reparations for anyone whose ancestors were slaves, then maybe we should consider reparations, also, for those descendants of slave owners who were deprived, without compensation, of property they owned and paid for. . . Irrational attempts to correct injustices that occurred a couple of centuries ago is just harmful to everyone current living. Stop living in the past and look forward.

Let us remember the wrongs that occurred in the past, without becoming captive to them. Wiping out history does no one any good; neither does any feeble attempt to redress wrongs by throwing tax dollars at people who were not specifically injured - whether descendants of slaves or slave owners.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    April 9, 2019 7:53 a.m.

I served my mission in Kentucky. Utah is not racist. If you want to see racism, go to the south.

Also, many of the points Kyle brings up are not wrong, though they may appear, at face value, to be that way. Each individual case would need to be looked at to see if it was right or wrong. There are just too many successful minority peole out there (and I'm not talking about athletes) to say minorities are being held down. If you have the ambition you can make it. Ben Carson is a good example. There are choices in life; it's no one else's fault if you make the wrong ones.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    April 9, 2019 7:31 a.m.

I would suggest that Korver sees the issue from a very unusual perspective as an NBA player, associating closely with, primarily, millionaires. I wonder if he would feel the same if he were a convenience store worker in inner Baltimore? His perspective is unquestionably skewed by his micro-universe. I am not saying Korver is wrong, but his view is shaped by his circumstances. Other folks view are undoubtedly shaped by theirs, which will certainly be different and likely not be very similar to his.

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    April 9, 2019 6:47 a.m.

This is a well reasoned piece that challenges us all to become better allies for those among the "others" in our society.
    As for these comments, once again those who stop by the Dessert News along with their otherwise exclusive media consumption at Fox News and Infowars reveal themselves by their bizzare and tortured views.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    April 9, 2019 1:28 a.m.

"The fact that black Americans are more than five times as likely to be incarcerated as white Americans is wrong. The fact that black Americans are more than twice as likely to live in poverty as white Americans is wrong. The fact that black unemployment rates nationally are double that of overall unemployment rates is wrong. The fact that black imprisonment rates for drug charges are almost six times higher nationally than white imprisonment rates for drug charges is wrong. The fact that black Americans own approximately one-tenth of the wealth that white Americans own is wrong."

"The NBA is over 75% of people of color" . . . . based on that logic, that is wrong also. Apparently, if we are all equal than the ratio should be exact to the ratio of the demographic.

There is a knee-jerk response of anything that can possibly be racist is racist. A knee-jerk response to victimization and not taking responsibility. Racism does exist in our society, however, I believe if we had the technology to look into the hearts and minds of people there is far less racism than the perception we are led to believe.

• Utahnareapeculiarpeople Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2019 11:15 p.m.

Donovan Mitchell seems genuinely interested in putting down roots here, unlike the last savior. Judging by a lot of comments here, too many local “fans” don’t really care to make it worth his while. It won’t be his loss.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 8, 2019 11:06 p.m.

If you listen the right reverse racism is the bigger problem.

• water rocket , 00
    April 8, 2019 9:52 p.m.

Racism is just another word for prejudice, and we have all felt that at some time in our lives. There is only one solution, and that is to raise your own standards of performance through better education, working harder, being more responsible, and most of all by being more charitable and kind to every one else you come in contact with. Confrontation, name calling, finding reasons to justify hate, or blaming others for your own failures will never make things right. And being rich, no matter what race or ethnicity you belong to does not make you better than anyone else.

• RRB SLC, UT
    April 8, 2019 8:36 p.m.

Frozen Fractals

I've heard whites called those names also.

"We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works."
    --- Alfredo Gutierrez, political consultant, as quoted by Richard de Uriarte, The Phoenix Gazette, March 14, 1992

• oaklandaforlife Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2019 7:46 p.m.

Great article. Spot on Kyle, and thank you. I fully support you and the Jazz organization. Well done.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    April 8, 2019 7:41 p.m.

I don’t think people in this community have the right to say how minority’s should feel. If you have never faced or have been exposed to racism then can’t have any empathy for what they have gone through.

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    April 8, 2019 7:31 p.m.

Reading these comments I see a comment thread and viewpoint that also manifested on a previous article about blackface. I think if people spent some time reading and learning about the history of racism in America they would have a different view. And I don't mean slavery or the civil rights movements. For instance, there are some great essays and videos that go into detail on blackface, its history and application and so on. After I spent some time studying this I came away with a very different perspective. I think one area where we don't have to worry about becoming too politically correct is racism. It still exists and we as good citizens need to fight everyday to prevent it from raising its ugly head.

• CarolinaMan Charlotte, NC
    April 8, 2019 7:26 p.m.

Loved the article! Having been born and raised in Utah and subsequently living all my adult life between S America and the southern US, Kyle articulated many of the emotions and thoughts I too have had in sharing and comparing my experiences with those of my friends of color. This article and viewpoint was VERY much appreciated by this Jazz fan who became an even bigger Kyle Korver fan today!

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2019 7:24 p.m.

@RRB
    "Lots of poor whites have no idea what white privilege is."

There's several types of privilege. Wealth is one of them. Race is another. Even poor white people have some advantages over poor black people from things as fundamental as how people view them and their situations (lazy? moochers? welfare queens?).

@Sportsfan123
    "At that point I was hating on them for their behaviour, but what if they were of a minority group, would that make me a racist?"

You'd be consistent. But the thing about white privilege is that it is mentioned because it does exist. One of those two groups in your hypothetical is much more likely than the other to get the cops called on them, not by you, but by people on average.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2019 7:15 p.m.

Several people here are mentioning racism directed from minorities at white people, but there's a disconnect here, which comes from people having two different definitions of racism.

A common one is to treat racism and prejudice as the same thing, with racism just being a category of prejudice, and can be pointed in any direction.

The other one treats them as different. Prejudice being something anyone can be doing pointed in any direction, and racial prejudice being the race based version that people of any race might have. But racism itself with this definition refers to systemic biases in society that point from those with more power to those without and in the US that only comes from white people.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2019 7:12 p.m.

@water rocket
    " Is he trying to ingratiate himself to the black community by criticizing the white race?"

He's been in the NBA over 15 years, and has been quite popular across the teams he's been with in his career; he doesn't need to do anything for that. The only thing he's doing here is acknowledging reality that many white people ignore, that there are still disparities that linger in society that haven't been fully healed. Disproportionate sentencing for the same crime, disproportionately low rates of being called for an interview if your name sounds like you're probably black, we have lots of underlying biases that still shift things so that black and white people still aren't treated the same.

• From Ted's Head Orem, UT
    April 8, 2019 6:37 p.m.

Kudos to Korver for his personal commitment to changing his behavior. And that's where this story should end. Celebs and sports stars have no more credibility in their opinions than do your neighbor or the greeter at Wal-Mart. I'm not a Jazz fan and couldn't pick Korver out of a lineup--unless it was on the basketball court and then my odds would have improved. The cynic in me is thinking that had Jimmer taken the same approach he might have had a better start in the NBA. But then, after seeing him stink it up for the Suns it's pretty clear it wouldn't have mattered if he wrote 100 essays on white privilege. It is pretty funny when those bagging on white republican Mormons in Utah can keep a straight face about the perils of generalizing behavior. I guess we all look alike to those ain't like us?

• Sportsfan123 Herriman, UT
    April 8, 2019 6:28 p.m.

I dont necessarily disagree with Korvers statements

What I do disagree with is buying into the new highly politicised term "white privilege" which I find racist and serves to give reason to hate white people.

Like what others have stated, treat others how you want to be treated, most often it is the behavior of others that stokes the fire of hate, and it doesn't have to be because of skin color. For example :

A group a white folk pulled into a parking lot where I used to work. These folks get out of their car sit on the grass near the curb and proceed to eat their fast food, when they are done they left all of their trash on the ground and took off. At that point I was hating on them for their behaviour, but what if they were of a minority group, would that make me a racist?

Or better yet try serving a 2 year LDS mission on the west and south side of chicago, a white man walking in gang infested neighborhood's you can only imagine the racial slure's I recieved and there were plenty.

Point is, it goes both ways and to point a finger at one race as the problem relinquishes the reaponsibility of other groups to do the same, wich is to treat others how they want to be treated.

• RRB SLC, UT
    April 8, 2019 6:16 p.m.

Individuals are racist, entire races are not.

Lots of poor whites have no idea what white privilege is.

• DETERMINISM UTAH, UT
    April 8, 2019 5:59 p.m.

It’s important to not categorize demographics or groups as victims. It creates an entitlement among the groups because they perceive oppression when none may exist. It’s also very disparaging because it implies that demographics and groups aren’t capable so they need special help, protection, rules, policies just to give them an equal chance. Many of the African Americans that have saluted Korver have achieved the pinnacle of their craft and are being paid millions of dollars to play a game, rep a brand or make remarks on social media. LeBron and Donovan didn’t need any special law, protection, attention, help, to achieve greatness. I applaud them for that. I don’t think any African American needs “special” help or protection or rules and laws to make them as capable as whites, Asians or any other race. They are all perfectly capable as they have shown in every area of our society. Sports, politics, entertainment, medical field etc. Instead of looking for victims and grievances let’s celebrate the incredible, inspiring contributions to this world by every gender, race, religion and or group.

• walkingman24 Orem, UT
    April 8, 2019 4:57 p.m.

@water rocket

You totally missed the point, try reading Korver's arguments again.

• walkingman24 Orem, UT
    April 8, 2019 4:50 p.m.

"Kyle, don't make this more complicated than it is. Treat others as you would like them to treat you. I do this and it as good as it gets for me."

You're missing the whole point, that's not good enough.

I firmly believe that Utah is not a racist community. But at the same time, our culture here often allows for the fringe believers to be racist without much of any repercussions. There are little ways that people treat each other unequally (he had some great examples in the article), but we don't call each other out on it.

• BigAlAvenger Summit, UT
    April 8, 2019 4:43 p.m.

If one carefully examines the world you will find racism in all races. We tend to only see that racism in caucasins in the USA and ignore it in other races. If we would love each other, universally, these problems would soon disappear. Most people recognize that we previously had a President that set race relations back possibly a half century. The solution is not to put one race above others; but to make all men & women equal!

• oldbasketball Draper, UT
    April 8, 2019 4:38 p.m.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    April 8, 2019 3:46 p.m.

The problem with Kyle article and others is they look only on one side of the ledger.
    There is racism in this country, but it seems to be only focused on racism coming from the whites. There has been several articles on how blacks attacked a white person, but the word racism came up. If that had been two white men attacking a black, you bet, you would here the word racism. Both sides are racist, some on both sides are taught that from their youth.
    What bothers me about this whole issue is that people will use the racist card at the drop of a hat, when real racism is being ignored. Korver's right, a black is 5 times more likely to go to jail than a white. That is a problem in the judiciary, not law enforcement. White are more likely to get arrested than a black according to the FBI statistics.

What bothers me about Westbrook, is that he is known to provoke people, I have yet seen any video of the full interaction between the fan and Westbrook. In this day and age of phones. I find that interesting.

• T-money$$$ Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2019 3:36 p.m.

@joe5

Of course individual experiences differ but collectively, at a societal level (not an individual one) factors like race, region, etc. play a huge role in our cultural understanding. This is why intersectionality is so vital.

Being white of course does not make you a de facto racist anymore than being republican or LDS does, BUT in the context of a strong monolithic culture (such as found in Utah) you further the risk of fostering ideological echo chambers where individuals surround themselves exclusively with those who have mirroring points of view (Mormons only living around and associating with other Mormons, republicans curating their news-feeds to receive only conservative-leaning sources, etc..). You see it in left-leaning circles too; it's a natural part of the human condition psychologists call confirmation bias.

The danger with these echo chambers is that it becomes really tricky to try and recognize other points of view as being legitimate

When people speak about the good diversity brings, it's not because it's a catch phrase or buzzword -Diversity helps us empathize with and better understand the wide variety of experiences that make this country great.

• water rocket , 00
    April 8, 2019 3:30 p.m.

This is so funny coming from a guy who plays in the NBA, an organization predominately black. Is he trying to ingratiate himself to the black community by criticizing the white race? Is he lumping ALL white people in with the one Jazz "fan" who caused a stir recently? I am NOT a fan of people "drawing a line in the sand" but do support erasing ALL "lines" to differentiate each other. How about we all look at others for what they add to society, and not how they diminish it.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    April 8, 2019 2:42 p.m.

last post

TMoney: You missed the point of the criticism. You say you are just quoting statistical facts but the truth is that every single person has unique life experiences. I fit into each of the demographics you described but what you choose to overlook is that I was raised by a single mother in poverty in a racially mixed neighborhood (1/3 white, 1/3 mexican, 1/3 black) in southern california.

I was christianed into the Catholic church before I was ever baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I didn't move to Utah until I was 29 and, among other experiences, had spent 6 years as an enlisted man in the Navy.

I was the first person in my family to ever attend college and to finally earn a degree at age 33 due to financial constraints. By the time I graduated, I was married and had four children.

It goes on and on but you just lumped me in with everybody else in the demographics. But they don't tell the whole story, do they? And just as my life experience is unique, I suggest that each of the people you stereotyped into a single glob also has unique life experiences which have shaped their thinking, attitudes, and behavior.

• OldMain Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 8, 2019 2:40 p.m.

Nobody likes being thought of as unaware, insensitive, rude, and especially racist. I don't think people here (for the most part) are intentionally rude or racist. Having lived in Utah most of my life, I want to think that we aren't any of those things, but I think the first two, unaware and insensitive, probably fit. The number of people who honestly didn't seem to know why the term "boy" (that the fan yelled at Westbrook) would be offensive was eye-opening. I wonder how many people here in Utah know very many details of segregation and the Civil Rights movement. That is something that needs to be taught better.

• T-money$$$ Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2019 2:25 p.m.

@Jello is Good

No, I didn't label or generalize anybody - I highlighted demographic facts. According to the latest census Utah is indeed majority white (88%) Republican (62 % from the most recent election) and Mormon (about 60% according to a 2014 survey from the Tribune).

Frankly, it's naive to think those three data points don't have an influence on one's perspective towards race relations

• Culture Warrior Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2019 2:19 p.m.

Just came to the comment section to lose my faith in humanity...again.

• OldMain Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 8, 2019 2:18 p.m.

I read what Kyle had to say. I appreciate his words and sentiment. Here is a paragraph that stood out:

This is a problem. No question. The flipside of this coin nobody is talking about is that the out of wedlock birth rate in the black community. It's 75%. That's a big problem. You can talk about equality and privilege all you want. Unless that number goes down, there is very little "awareness" or legislation can do to solve the problem. The real privilege is having a stable home, but that isn't in vogue in politics or the "woke" community.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    April 8, 2019 1:50 p.m.

The main problem that Kyle and other like-thinkers have is that they only look at the negative side of the equation. Instead of seeing countless acts of kindness from white to black (and vice versa for that matter) which are frankly far more prevalent than racist acts, they choose to focus on the negative.

How many fans were in the arena the night of the Russell Westbrook incident? How many of them were Westbrook fans? How many were fans of Mitchell (who also happens to be black)? But these guys choose to focus on the acts of the aberration rather than the norm.

Kyle would be well-served to spend a good deal of the time he promised to listen and learn in searching out the stories of people who have gone out of their way to assist or help or in some way bless people of another race. Instead of taking the corner case and painting the entire canvass with it, perhaps he could get some perspective by also looking at the other side of the coin and weighing them in the balance. I think he would find that there is far more humanity than racism in our society.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    April 8, 2019 1:42 p.m.

Well, I expected that reparations would eventually make their appearance into this discussion. Someone said facts matter. Well, 500,000 Union soliders paid with their lives for 350,000 slaves. Is half a million lives not reparation enough?

• utahute69 Laguna Niguel, CA
    April 8, 2019 1:35 p.m.

Perhaps this guy can focus on the rate of black on white crime vs the amount of white on black crime. Society has become so caught up in race and racism that it has forgotten how to be rational about facts instead of the picture painted in our schools and the media. The US has gone well beyond making an even playing filed to employing the law to enforce reverse discrimination.

• LP Grad, BYU Alum Provo, UT
    April 8, 2019 1:18 p.m.

I applaud Kyle for working to correct the issue, though I disagree with the solutions he mentioned. Affirmative action/reparations are anathema to democratic society.

We don't have the same socioeconomic starting point in our upward mobility, but we do have access to the same rights. We have rights to public education, to free speech/assembly, to the courts system, etc. Thabo himself sued the NYPD and won after having his leg broken. We should strive for equality of opportunity. Where there is no equality of opportunity, that's where government should step in. If access to the courts is unequal based on race, something needs fixing. Same with access to education. We need equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes.

Affirmative action destroys equality of opportunity as select students are favored based on nothing more than skin color. We should focus instead on fixing disparities observed in K12 schools (in teacher/facility quality in white vs. black districts, access to funding, etc.).

And why should my tax dollars pay reparations for a sin I have never committed? We need to be accountable, as Kyle says, but I refuse to pay for something I've not committed.

• Fear the Turtle!! ,
    April 8, 2019 1:17 p.m.

@RiDal - Sandy, UT
    April 8, 2019 12:54 p.m.

"Well, I guess the Jazz is another professional sports team I can save money on by not supporting."

And they will be better for your decision.

• Jello is Good ,
    April 8, 2019 1:14 p.m.

@T-money$$$ - Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2019 12:45 p.m.

"Well said Kyle!!

The inability to stand up and call out acts of racism is what enables racist incidents to continue to perpetuate in the future.

It's a concept that many here in the Utah (a majority-white, republican, and religious bubble) fail to grasp"

Kyle is spot on and your generalizations and stereotypes are counter to his comments. Labels applied to someone based on race, gender, age, and yes, religion are wrong.

• The Trooper Riverton, UT
    April 8, 2019 1:12 p.m.

Lets confront racism where we find it. Lets stop with the white privilege nonsense. What they really mean by white privilege is that your opinion does not count or does not count as much. It is just a way of trying to silence anyone who might disagree with a racial policy.

• My Rash is Red ,
    April 8, 2019 1:10 p.m.

@strom thurmond - taylorsville, UT
    April 8, 2019 12:26 p.m.
    I don't go in for collective guilt or collective salvation.

"I don't take responsibility for, or beg anyone's pardon for, someone else's actions."

Living up to that Strom Thurmond reputation I see.

• Jsnowe Atlanta, GA
    April 8, 2019 1:00 p.m.

@T-money$$$ - Salt Lake City, UT

what "Racism"?

• Jsnowe Atlanta, GA
    April 8, 2019 12:59 p.m.

@Anthony - Alpine, UT

Wrong, nothing supports Kyles position, it's more of the usual fake outrage at things that don't exist.

• Jsnowe Atlanta, GA
    April 8, 2019 12:58 p.m.

If anyone suffers from privilege it's non-whites. They are given more opportunities because of their race and perception of non-existent "systemic racism".

• Jsnowe Atlanta, GA
    April 8, 2019 12:57 p.m.

There is no such thing as "white privlege" it's an excuse used by those who suffer from success envy.

Most of the racism in America comes from black americans against whites.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    April 8, 2019 12:54 p.m.

• eldonp Parowan, UT
    April 8, 2019 12:49 p.m.

Before commenting, it would be a good idea to actually read Korver's essay.

It's an impressive effort. He asks more questions than he answers. That is a lot more credible than spouting a bunch of pre-conceived notions about yourself.

I'm glad Korver wrote this honest and thoughtful essay, and I'm glad that he's back with the Jazz.

• T-money$$$ Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2019 12:45 p.m.

Well said Kyle!!

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    April 8, 2019 12:26 p.m.

I don't go in for collective guilt or collective salvation.

• Anthony Alpine, UT
    April 8, 2019 12:13 p.m.

@tothemoon

Your unidentified statistics, if true, only support Kyle's position that we all [and I would add, especially white males who are under-educated, less responsible, and emotionally challenged] need to take greater responsibility in noticing the prejudices and even unintentional discrimination that continues to occur among us. We can, and indeed should do better.

• TwinFallsUte Twin Falls, ID
    April 8, 2019 12:00 p.m.

Kyle hit the nail on the head, "We all have to be accountable - period. Not just for our own actions, but also for the ways that our inaction can create a 'safe' space for toxic behavior." Doing nothing condones what is happening. Very sad, and very well said.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    April 8, 2019 11:24 a.m.

Good on Kyle. One hopes he is prepared for the outcry he'll hear from a wide swath of our community.