How many Latter-day Saints are there? Church announces new statistics

• sashabill , CA
    April 8, 2019 4:38 p.m.

well informed,

Unfortunately you aren't very "well informed" about LDS church teachings. The whole purpose of the LDS practice of temple work for the dead is to seal families together throughout the eternities and to open up the opportunity for salvation to all of the multitudes of people throughout history who otherwise would not have had the chance to hear and learn about it.

• well informed Bountiful, UT
    April 8, 2019 2:28 p.m.

If we pretend for a second that every single member of the Church will be exalted then that represents only 0.215% of Heavenly Father's children.

What about the other 99.785% of his children? According to the doctrine of the Church they will end up in the Terrestial Kingdom, Telestial Kingdom, or outer darkness.

It is hard to imagine or believe that Heavenly Father would be okay with only a small, small percentage of his children getting in the Celestial Kingdom and the other 99.785% get left out.

• observator east of the snake river, ID
    April 8, 2019 12:04 p.m.

"And it came to pass that I beheld the church of the Lamb of God, and its numbers were few, because of the wickedness and abominations of the whore who sat upon many waters; nevertheless, I beheld that the church of the Lamb, who were the saints of God, were also upon all the face of the earth; and their dominions upon the face of the earth were small, because of the wickedness of the great whore whom I saw." --1 Nephi 14:12

It was prophesied from the beginning that we would never be that large compared to the whole world.

• Bluefan AMERICAN CANYON, CA
    April 8, 2019 9:04 a.m.

J. Smith--Math trips us all up at times. (16,313,735/7,600,000,000 = 0.00215). That equals 0.215%.

• J. Smith Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2019 8:02 a.m.

There are 7,600,000,000 people in the world and 16,313,735 of them are Mormon. That means 0.002% of the world are LDS (not including those who have died)...

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    April 8, 2019 5:38 a.m.

>>The rate of growth of the church is slowing; has been for some time now.

Some, but not that much--the Church has been adding around 300,000 names annually to the membership rolls for quite some time. The stats announced this past Saturday reported about 200,000 converts and 100,000 children turning eight and getting baptized. That's really quite respectable given the overall decline in religious devotion throughout the world.

In any case, we shouldn't be too anxious for rapid growth. For any global organization, rapid growth brings all kinds of challenges. Just getting the curriculum materials translated and released simultaneously must be a nightmare.

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    April 7, 2019 11:20 p.m.

Statistics regarding numbers of stakes, wards, missions, missionaries, members, (new) children of record [which at some point since then became the number reported for babies named & blessed in church], converts added, etc., has been given in General Conference from 1945 onward in April General Conference.

When considering these numbers from past years, numbers reported during this April 2019 General Conference help to tell a story of the ebb and flow of missionary work, marriages made and un-made, members serving proselyting missions, some members withdrawing from membership, babies born, named & blessed, and more.

The good news is that the Church continues to grow. But, as ultragrampa put it, the rate of Church growth has indeed been slowing for years.

One area which is quite apparent is the statistic called 'New Children of Record'. This number the Church's membership department informed me is the number of babies named & blessed in Church.

I went through all years back to the April 1946 General Conference Report, and found that the current rate of babies named & blessed in church is indicative of the lowest birth rate ever in the Church. This is a problem.

• sashabill , CA
    April 7, 2019 10:23 p.m.

Emmanuel, Church members continually drift into inactivity or come back into church activity due to a multitude of different factors and reasons. I very seldom hear mention of the approximately 20-25 million lapsed Catholics in the United States alone, the many inactive, "cultural," or non-practicing Jews, or of the millions of mainline Protestants who have faded into inactivity during the past few decades. Come to think of it, does anybody know what percentage of Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims, or Buddhists actively practice their respective religions? I have no idea.

In any event, we would not have had the many new temples announced during last year and this, if there was not the resources available to build and maintain them or the people to staff and use them.

• EmmanuelGoldstein1984 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2019 4:31 p.m.

I wonder how many of those 16 million members actually practice their religion. The church’s leaders never say.

• One of Vai's Cousins DC, Washington
    April 7, 2019 10:54 a.m.

I don’t think members should ever base anything on how large the church is. Because frankly it’s rather small when taking the entire world into context. It seems big when driving from Boise to Phoenix, but beyond that it is less than half of one percent of the world’s population. If every member on record formed one city it would not be in the top ten largest cities. The fact is that the church continues to grow, albeit at a much slower pace, and is tiny in the context of the world’s population. As I travel the world for my profession very few people know anything about the church. How you interpret that is personal I guess but those are the facts.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    April 6, 2019 8:51 p.m.

"Thank you sashabill; comparison, however, is not the point. None of those churches ever claimed they would "fill the whole earth.""

That was back when there were 6 members.

Comparatively, it has filled the earth.

By mentioning that the rate has slowed down it's not paying attention to other things going on in the church or world.

Should I care exactly how many members of the chruch there are? For me it's good news for them and nothing for me personally. Why do you care, or why should you care?

Anyway, for me it's nice as I travel for my job, I've attended meetings in the US, Italy, China, Hong Kong, Macau, Philippines, Indonesia, Germany, England, Australia, Samoa and Tonga last year. I can find the chruch anywhere I go, looking out your window at lagoon you might not have noticed the shift.

The glass is half full my friend.

• Silver Stingray St George, UT
    April 6, 2019 7:35 p.m.

Pretty insignificant when compared to the city of Chongqing, China. Even more so when considering the earth's population.

• ultragrampa Farmington, UT
    April 6, 2019 6:15 p.m.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2019 5:46 p.m.

Wow!
    Lots of Growth.
    57 years ago when I was a full time two and a half year missionary in Central America the church had about 12,000 missionaries in the world.
    Our mission comprised of Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. 165 missionaries covered those six countries.
    Now there are six different missions in Guatemala alone.

Near the airport in Guatemala City is a museum. Around the inside of the Museum is a large mural running around the top of the walls.
    It starts with the Maya and then moves to the Spanish Conquistadors and then to the Mestizos and then Los Negociantes (businessmen ) and finally it showed two young Anglo men dressed in white shirts and dark pants and tie carrying funny little briefcases. I was there with some of my airline friends. I knew who they were but I asked the question. Who are they? The response. “Son Los Mormons”. I almost popped the buttons off my shirt that we had such an influence on a small Central American country. I was proud to be part of the growth

• sashabill , CA
    April 6, 2019 5:09 p.m.

ultragrampa,

Compared to several of the mainline Protestant denominations, which have been shrinking in absolute numbers since the 1960's, (some of them nearly in a state of free fall), I would say that the LDS church isn't doing too badly.

• ultragrampa Farmington, UT
    April 6, 2019 3:59 p.m.

The rate of growth of the church is slowing; has been for some time now.