New film 'The Fighting Preacher' is 'the best church history story you've never heard of,' director says

• DHuber Palmyra, NY
    April 12, 2019 6:47 a.m.

My apologies to everyone involved in the film for my comments. Williard had a unique look , the kind of face you can see in civil war photos. You just cant find an actor with his face. My point was the actor just didnt look the age of Williard.

• thunderbolt7 Dutch John, UT
    April 11, 2019 9:18 a.m.

To DHuber - Palmyra, NY, I can't figure out your point? Are you critical of the age difference? Do you object to movie scenes that don't resemble Palmyra? You realize, don't you, this isn't a documentary about Palmyra, nor is it about the age difference? The movie is about overcoming hostility with kindness; it is about finding acceptance in the face of obstacles. I fail to see how the factors you brought up relate to the theme of the movie?

• oldmomof7 Spanish Fork, UT
    April 10, 2019 10:12 a.m.

I read this book a year or so ago--very inspiring and interesting. Thanks T.C. Christensen for all your efforts to make church history so enjoyable for all of us. And thanks, Rand Packer for writing about the story in the first place.

• Ranpac St. George, UT
    April 9, 2019 10:38 a.m.

I am the author of the Book A Lion and Lamb and Historical Advisor to the movie, The Fighting Preacher and also the son of Palmyra Bean and grandson of Willard and Rebecca Bean. Here are the true facts concerning casting of the movie.

Willard was 46 and Rebecca was 23 years of age when they were married shortly before they arrived in Palmyra. In the movie, Dave McConnell (46) plays Willard and Cassidy Hubert (26) plays Rebecca, almost an exact fit.

I have hundreds of pictures of my mother, Palmyra as a little girl and the resemblance of Scarlett Hazen, who plays Palmyra, is remarkable. Even when Palmyra is portrayed in her young adult years with her brother, Pliny, the resemblance is still remarkable.

T.C. Christensen has done a masterful job in his casting and portrayal of the actors in The Fighting Preacher.

Rand H. Packer

• M_Hawke Golden, CO
    April 7, 2019 5:32 p.m.

@DHuber Always someone to criticize. Could have tolerated the post except for the last sentence, which was totally unnecessary. And for those of us who do not know the story, does the age miscasting or how Palmyra looked like take away from the story in any way? I don't think it does to any degree.

I'm grateful for the talents of T.C. Christensen, who brings us great stories to the big screen. I can't wait to see the movie and hope it comes to my town.

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2019 9:41 p.m.

Looks awesome. I'm so glad there are people like TC Christensen to tell these stories that most people had never heard.

• Latter-daySaintForever St. George, UT
    April 5, 2019 5:38 p.m.

Looks Good!!. Thank goodness someone can make good family movies.

• cbm Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2019 5:35 p.m.

I know this story and it is one of the best Church history stories I've ever read or heard. I can't wait to see the movie. I'm glad more people will get to know this wonderful story and family. Thanks for making it!!

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    April 5, 2019 4:46 p.m.

Love everything T.C. does! We have watched Cokeville Miracle four times. Get choked up every time.
    Ephraim's Rescue was my favorite. But then we trekked as a couple at Martin's Cove all summer in 2016 and 2017.

• DHuber Palmyra, NY
    April 5, 2019 2:50 p.m.

What a miscasting age wise. Willard Bean was 47 and 22 years older than his second wife when they got here. Palmyra also looked nothing like that depicted. Nice try.