Utah man accused of loaning gun to Lauren McCluskey's killer pleads not guilty

• quackquack Park City, UT
    April 3, 2019 11:22 a.m.

Also forgot to mention the article mentioned Nathan Daniel Vogel didnt want to wait for the background check for being "generally discharged" from the Armed Forces.

Generally discharged could be many things like Mental Illness, Suicide or just not meeting military standards. Depending on why he was generally discharged could prohibit him from purchasing a fire arm. But if you think about if Vogel was generally discharged for a reason that still allowed him to purchase a file arm then he wouldn't need Sarah Emily Lady to buy it for him. Yes he would have wait a little longer but generally legit people don't need a firearm the same day Im sure they want it the same day but most can wait a day or so. Its suspicious that Vogel would need Lady to buy his firearm if he was legit.

• quackquack Park City, UT
    April 3, 2019 10:59 a.m.

Love how people blame the "Left" when this state is run by mostly all "Right" or Republican politicians.

Any how the issue here is a "Straw Man Purchase" if you don't know what a straw man purchase is its when someone buys a gun for someone who else who may not be able to.

Sarah Emily Lady purchased the gun for Nathan Daniel Vogel who in turn lent it to Melvin Rowland who killed Lauren McCluskey. The violation isn't that they lent the gun to Melvin Rowland the violation is Sarah Emily Lady purchased a gun under false terms for Nathan Daniel Vogel.

"Vogel asked Lady to buy the gun for him because he didn't want to wait for the background check. They allege she lied to the seller that the gun was for her. "

Sarah Emily Lady lied so Nathan Daniel Vogel could avoid a background check which is that is a crime.

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    April 3, 2019 7:59 a.m.

They are charged with making a "straw purchase," which, from a legal standpoint, has nothing to do with the murder. It's my understanding the man was not a prohibited person but thought his military discharge might delay the purchase. Therefore, he asked his lady friend to buy the gun. In other words, he was legally entitled to have the weapon. And now they are both facing a 15 year federal felony. I've heard no evidence to suggest this man knew McCluskey's murderer's intent. Many people are not aware of the law and penalties involving a "straw purchase." Making a "straw purchase" a 15 year federal felony is not about safety. It's just another attempt by the left to place additional legal risks and burdens on the right to keep and bear arms hoping to discourage otherwise innocent citizens from exercising the right.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    April 3, 2019 7:47 a.m.

Although I am a strong 2nd Amendment advocate, I would recognize that is someone wants to "borrow" my gun I would have a responsibility to take reasonable action to be sure the person I am loaning it to is legally allowed to own a gun and would want to know why they want it.
    "Straw-purchases" and lending guns to known felons should be very harshly punished. Let the evidence on this case fall where it may.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    April 3, 2019 7:39 a.m.

Did they know he was intending to kill her? If I lend you my car and you get caught speeding, am I liable? Did I know you were intending to speed? Not saying there are not issues they need to account for, just wondering.

• Misseleer71 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2019 4:11 a.m.

Unless people are forced to wear discriminator flags, signs, or outer sign there is no way to know who can or who cannot poses a gun. However it is my contention that every man or woman walking the streets is entitled to bear arms whether it is borrowed or owned. Why should I have to buy a gun if I only need it for a short period. Banning guns from lending to others is unconstitutional and I agree with the Constitution, any restriction of gun use or possession is violating our rights. I wish I could get on his jury, I'd find him not guilty but recommend the imprisonment of prosecutors violating our god given right.

• Holy-Schamoly-What Baloney Kaysville, UT
    April 2, 2019 4:52 p.m.

Everyone deserves a fair trial but people also need to take responsibility for their actions. It will be interesting if these two are found guilty what they then will have to say about it.