Letter: What are we paying our elected leaders for?

• Flipphone , 00
    April 4, 2019 10:18 a.m.

conservativeme1 - West Valley City, UT
    April 3, 2019 11:52 a.m.
    Two words for Congress: TERM LIMITS! They get too entrenched and become too powerful. They really aren't doing the work of the people. It's time to make this a reality!

The problem is that Politicians will NOT vote for term limits.... They have provided themselves with a great standard of living. Even if they are voted out of office they still receive a pension and excellent health care for life.

• conservativeme1 West Valley City, UT
    April 3, 2019 11:52 a.m.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 3, 2019 11:35 a.m.

What are we paying them for?
    Nothing. They are there to enrich themselves. Every one of them.

• Flipphone , 00
    April 3, 2019 8:37 a.m.

Letter to my BOSS

I have enjoyed working here these past several years. You have paid me very well and given me benefits beyond belief. Have 3-4 months off per year and a pension plan that will pay my salary till the day I die and then pay my estate one year salary death bonus and then continue to pay my spouse my salary with increases until she or he dies, and a health plan that most people can only dream of having. Despite this, I plan to take the next 12-18 months to find a new position. During this time, I will show up for work when it is convenient for me. And in addition, I fully expect to draw my full salary and all the other perks associated with my current job

Oh yes, if my search for this new job proves fruitless, I will be coming back with no loss in pay or status. Before you say anything, remember that you have no choice in this matter. I can, and I will do this.

Sincerely,

Every Senator or Congressman running for President in 2020

Are we stupid or what?

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2019 8:04 a.m.

for people like Alan, the author of this cheer leading tome, who has a very short term memory, let me offer a correction.

" During the past 10 years or more, the Republicans have done absolutely nothing to earn their salaries but trash our duly elected president, even 2 years after he left office, honorably. I thought we paid them to protect us, the American people, and make our lives better?"

There, that's much more accurate.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 2, 2019 8:19 p.m.

Why are you complaining? Your party, the trump party, gave you fantastic, inexpensive health care on day one as promised.
    And, you're right. We paid all those millions for the Mueller report, and apparently you've found no evidence of collusion or obstruction of justice.
    I've yet to receive my copy. I've only gotten the book report from the attorney general. I have not yet gotten my money's worth. What are we paying these millions for?

• Flipphone , 00
    April 2, 2019 12:46 p.m.

Sincerely,

Every Senator or Congressman running for President in 2020

Are we stupid or what?

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    April 2, 2019 12:07 p.m.

To "ECR" you forgot Obama's first year, when he added $1.2 Trillion to the deficit that was already $600 billion. Giving him a $1.8 Trillion deficit his first year.

Bush has the same record of deficit reduciton that Obama did, reducing the deficit for half of his time as President.

You also ignored all of the Presidents between FDR and 1957 that not only reduced deficits but ran surpluses and nearly eliminated the Federal Debt.

No, you really can't give a President a pass on their first year because, as in the case of Obama, there can always be new spending measures introduced. If no additional spending is added then you can attribute the deficit to the previous POTUS.

• ECR Burke, VA
    April 2, 2019 11:09 a.m.

Redshirt - some of what you say is correct and some of what I said is incorrect. But most of what you said is incorrect and most of what I said is correct. According to government statistics we find the following

In the campaign of 1980, Ronald Reagan said Jimmy Carter's last deficit ($78B) was 'obscene. The from 1981 to 1989 he ran deficits of $127.98B, $207.8B, $185B, $212B, $221B, $155.18B and $153B, $153B.

George H. W. Bush took office and ran deficits of $221B, $269B, $290B, and $255B.

Bill Clinton came into office and his budgets showed deficits of $203B, $164B, $107B, $22B, -$69B, -$126B, -$236B and -$128.23B.

George Bush ran deficits of $158B, $378B, $413B, $318B, $248B, $160B, $458B and $1412B

Barack Obama's deficits were $1294B, $1299B, $1076B, $679B, $484B, $441B, $584B, $667B.

Trump's first year deficit was $779B.

It's important to note that the first year budget from any administration belongs to the previous administration because the budget was already set by Congress.

Obama had (3) years when the deficit raised (my mistake) - his second year and the last two years. But there is a pattern shown for who is trying to be responsible. about the budget.

• patrioticAMERICAN South Jordan, UT
    April 2, 2019 10:07 a.m.

"Twelve Republican senators (including the two from Utah) failed to support the president in his bid to protect us."

Alan seems to mistakenly believe that we're in some kind of fascist govt where elected leader's duty is to bow to & protect the bully dictator, not to protect the Constitution they've sworn to uphold & the citizens they were elected to represent.

He seems to forget that Congress is a *co-equal* branch of gov't to Executive branch. Senators aren't supposed to just give the pres. carte blanche to do whatever he feels like. It's their constitutional duty to be a ck on authoritarian men like Trump. Just because GOP abysmally failed in that duty the last 2 yrs, doesn't mean we should expect them to abandon it forever. (McConnell certainly didn't during Obama's tenure--in fact, he went the opp. extreme).

Repubs in general seem to have abandoned the Constitution (except for 2nd Amendment) now in favor of treating Trump like he's a king, complete with the Royal Family--& one like the Japanese emperors of old that were considered like Gods & could do no wrong.

Why are Repubs so afraid of these investigations, esp after Mueller report? Trump has nothing to hide, right?

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2019 10:02 a.m.

I have no words for letters like this one.

Voters like this writer are why we have such an unprepared 'man' in the white house.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    April 2, 2019 9:51 a.m.

To "Crusader" what did Trump do to undermine the Constitution? He followed the Emergency Powers Act, and has complied with the law.

Just because you don't like the method does not mean it was illegal.

If you want to prevent this from happening again, the law must be changed.

To "unrepentant progressive" but it isn't an imaginary crisis on the border. CNN, MSNBC, and most major news agencies have declared there to be a crisis on the border over the past few years. Why is it that Trump responding to what the major news agencies declared to be a crisis suddenly isn't a crisis?

To "ECR " but Obama also created the largest deficit in US history. He made the big deficit then cut it. That isn't exactly noble. But Bush lowered the deficit from 2004 through 2007. Reagan lowered it in 1984 and again in 1987. So to say that only Obama and Clinton lowered the Deficit is disingenuous. In fact every president after FDR through 1957 lowered the deficit and actually decreased the debt.

• ECR Burke, VA
    April 2, 2019 9:25 a.m.

Helen Kimball said, "My biggest concern is the deficit. "

It is worth noting that since 1980, only two president's have reduced the annual deficit each year they were in office - Clinton and Obama, both Democrats. So your statement "Neither party wants to tackle the issue" is not totally true.

You will remember that we actually had surplus budget in the last two years of the Clinton Administration and the first thing that G.W. Bush did was pass a massive tax cut for the wealthy which reversed that course of action. And while the national debt continued to increase during the Obama years, the deficit continued to get smaller. And then of in a March 31, 2016, interview with the Washington Post, Donald Trump promised to eliminate the United States' $19 trillion in debt in eight years. So far that's not working out.

• Helen M Kimball Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2019 8:48 a.m.

My biggest concern is the deficit.

Neither party wants to tackle the issue.

I would have hoped the Republicans, who pride themselves on being "fiscally responsible" would want to approach the issue.

It probably doesn't help that the leadership in both parties and the President are all fairly old people who will not have to face the looming deficit crisis in 15 to 20 years.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 2, 2019 8:40 a.m.

I guess Alan missed most of 2016 and all 2017 where Republican had total control of the government in the White House, Senate and House of representatives. Where's our "better cheaper, healthcare plan, day 2"? Can't blame that on Democrats.

• ECR Burke, VA
    April 2, 2019 8:35 a.m.

This victory dance being taken by Trump's supporters and especially by Trump himself might be premature.

First of all, we really don't know what is included in the Mueller Report, only a small summary written by the AG appointed by Trump after that same AG wrote an unsolicited paper claiming the president couldn't be found guilty of obstruction for no other reason than because he is the president. That fact calls into question the validity of the AG's claims in his short summary

But Mueller's investigation has revealed three major connection between Donald Trump and people who worked for or with Russia:

Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort had several shady connections with people who worked for or with the Russian government.

Several Trump staffers, including Trump’s son Don Jr., were willing to work with Russians to get dirt on Hillary Clinton and other top Democrats.

And Trump was working on a lucrative real estate deal in Moscow — and his personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, the main negotiator reached out to top Vladimir Putin officials to help grease the wheels.

Now the Congressional leaders in Congress are finally earning their money with oversight hearings.

• Ranch Here, UT
    April 2, 2019 8:13 a.m.

Alan; I think you're confused. Really, really confused.

• one old man MSC, UT
    April 2, 2019 8:05 a.m.

Well, Mr. Carabine got half of his tale correct.

The Dems are TRYING to protect us, but the GOP has managed to divert the attention of their faithful followers.

But he's mostly spot on regarding the Republicans.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    April 2, 2019 7:43 a.m.

An amazing display of dishonesty is this letter. Conflating the health care crisis, which is real with the imaginary crisis of the border with Mexico.

And, BTW, blaming Democrats for inaction in the first two years of the Trump administration is ridiculous. For two years, the GOP has had unfettered control of the entire government.

They did nothing on either of these matters. The problem is not Democrats. It is the party of Trump.

• Crusader Layton, UT
    April 2, 2019 7:36 a.m.

The letter writer got one sentence wrong, I fixed it for you.

Twelve Republican senators (including the two from Utah) tried to support the Constitution during Trump's bid to undermine it.

• Dexter183 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2019 6:42 a.m.

My sentiments exactly Alan. Great letter!

• Daedalus, Stephen Arvada, CO
    April 2, 2019 5:05 a.m.

Letter writer: "No evidence of “Russian collusion” or “obstruction of justice” apparent."

Why did DN publish and propagate such a blatant falsehood?