'I feel incredibly prepared': Meet Salt Lake County's new mayor

Known to reach across party lines, Jenny Wilson says she'll lead by putting people over politics

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2019 5:11 p.m.

"But the truth is that there was no election, she was selected by the Democratic Party to fill-out the remainder of Biskupski's term. Wilson has lost every election she has ever contested." -RiDal

This is categorically false, and Holly Mullen very ably corrected the most egregious error in your (mis)statement.

I would only add that the manner in which Jenny Wilson was selected to fill the remainder of former Mayor McAdams' term was in accordance with statute, and was no different than the S.L. County Republican Party Central Committee electing Adam Gardner to fill the remainder of Gary Ott's term as County Recorder.

Also, in 2004, Jenny beat incumbent County Councilmember Steve Harmsen to win the Salt Lake County Council At-Large B seat; and in 2014, she beat Micah Bruner to win the Salt Lake County Council At-Large A seat.

You don't have to like Mayor Wilson, but you don't get to make up "alternative facts" about her with impunity, either.

• Holly Mullen Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2019 4:18 p.m.

Just a correction to commenter RiDal from Sandy: Mayor Jenny Wilson did not replace Mayor Biskupski. Mayor Jackie Biskupski leads Salt Lake City, and will hold that office until the end of 2019. Jenny Wilson was elected by Salt Lake County Democratic delegaes to finish former Mayor Ben McAdams term, when he took his seat in the U.S. Congress. She will run again in 2020, when the election will be open to all of Salt Lake County voters.

It's a common mistake people make--confusing Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County leaders. I just think if you're going to be hypercritical of someone who has taken time out of her life to step up to run for office, has won the office legitimately, and is working to do the best job possible for 1.2 million residents of the county you might want to get your facts correct.

Thank you.

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2019 3:45 p.m.

She was elected by party officials, and those officials voted for her because her father is one of their most faithful.

Ask yourself this question: could she win the same election if her name were Brown, Jones or Smith?

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2019 1:35 p.m.

@ Midway - Salt Lake City, UT,

Sorry to burst your bubble Mr/Miss Midway, but the "worker" party is the communist party. The democrats are right on track with that.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    April 1, 2019 9:32 a.m.

Incredibly prepared for what? To direct another movie?

I wouldn't care what she's prepared for. I wouldn't ever vote for her. Just like I never voted for her Dad.

I just hope she caters to everyone in the county, not just the Avenues and the Salt Lake City east bench.

I'm not a fan of supposed political dynasties.

• Midway Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2019 9:12 a.m.

@ute alumni
    I grew up in Utah when Democrats were elected on a regular basis. Things began to change when Ted got in. The party has changed. It’s now the party of abortion, open borders, socialism, liberalism, planned parenthood , confiscation of guns, global warming, .... any wonder why there have little power, except SLC?
    ________
    Exactly.

I was a Democrat for over 40 years. I always thought the Democrats were the party for the workers. Then I realized that for supply/demand economics, that an open borders and pro-illegal immigration platform that the Democrats support was the worst thing for America's workers. I learned this, but it took several years to let it fully sink in. Now, I have fully "left the Left", and while I have lots of problems with the GOP, I can happily say that the truth of the damage of the agenda of the Left has been fully realized by me.

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2019 7:47 a.m.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    April 1, 2019 7:07 a.m.

She is "incredibly prepared" to do what politicians do. She has been a liberal politician her entire life. Whether she can manage competently is another question entirely.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    April 1, 2019 7:03 a.m.

That's a pretty glowing description of Ms. Wilson's successful political career.

But she comes from a local political family dynasty, so, of course, it is assumed she has a right to rule.

• Thomas Thompson Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2019 6:04 a.m.

Jenny Wilson may well feed "incredibly prepared" -- indeed, she probably is that -- but I suspect that governing the most populous county in the state of Utah is going to prove daunting. (It may be just the reason Ben McAdams decided to do something else.)

But here's wishing her the best of luck.

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 1, 2019 5:37 a.m.

Best wishes Jenny. Your father was a great example.