Tribes urge US to ban drilling around sacred New Mexico site

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 22, 2019 9:28 p.m.

Old man,

I have some issue with Worf as to the origins of petrochemicals as a resource. Nonetheless, I have, for nearly 40 years, made my living in the resource extraction industry.

I grew up among sour gas wells. They represented good jobs those wells, and an evacuation plan beside the phone. It's OK, except for the immediate threat to life. If that's what we want, we'd better be prepared to own it. We don't just get to ask other people to exist in that reality. We don't just get to ask me to exist in that reality. It's been a part of my life for decades. It doesn't get to be just someone else's problem.

I've lived and worked in Fort McMurray. It's a conglomerate of oil sands mines the size of Delaware. The reality of the extraction and production of the energy we need is stunning.

I am OK with that. Worf is, too. Apparently. None of us who use energy is able to fully distance themselves from it.

I'm just asking us to own it.

• one old man MSC, UT
    March 22, 2019 2:25 p.m.

Hutt, it looks like the Russians have hijacked your comment making keyboard.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 22, 2019 11:58 a.m.

I’m with Worf. Oil is a sacred gift from decaying biological material and geological processes. It feeds my family and pays my taxes. I have no quibble if someone puts a big oil rig within earshot of my house. Or yours. Or a church or school or whatever. Even if the well will extract high levels of hydrogen sulphide product. It’s safe. And sacred.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    March 22, 2019 10:26 a.m.

forgive my fat fingers, and spell correction.

• worf McAllen, TX
    March 22, 2019 10:26 a.m.

Fossil fuel is a sacred gift from god. It has tremendously upgraded the way we live.

Without fossil fuels the people of Chicago wouldn't be able to buy oranges, grapefruit, or babanas in a grocery store. Lots of luck buying a house.

Crazy how some folks are led to believe that a wonderful thing can be so wrong.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    March 22, 2019 10:10 a.m.

I have a great respect for all the immigrant Indians. Chaco has a great history, with evidence of trading with the Mayan and Aztecs. Some anthropologists even believing they may have been dependents of the these great civilizations. There is a wall in Chaco running east and west that lines up precisely with specific walls of two other sites over a great number of miles.

Anthropologists believe that the Hopi have lived in northeastern Arizona for 10,000 years. The Zuni have probably lived in the Zuni River valley of Arizona and New Mexico since at least the 8th Century. Anthropologists believe the Navajo left Canada in the 11th Century.

But I almost lost it when the Navajo President said, it's only right that they support each other (tribes), just as their ancestors did.

No they didn't. The Navajo were notorious in taking slaves from other tribes and selling them to the Spanish.

In the early 180's Manuelito with other leaders such as Ganado Mucho and Barboncito to attack not only the hated Mexicans, but also the Hopi in Arizona, the Puebloan peoples of New Mexico, the Ute, the Comanche, and the Apache.

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    March 22, 2019 8:45 a.m.

I've visited many of the native American sites in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. It is so great to be able to share the history and beauty of the early settlers of these areas.

If there were Mormon temples, Catholic cathedrals, Jewish temples or Mosques in any of these area, there would be no question that these areas are "sacred" to some people.

Why isn't that "sacredness" extended to Indians?

Ahhh, because they don't have a strong voice in government, Washington, or business.

For Trump and the GOP money rules.

• one old man MSC, UT
    March 22, 2019 7:57 a.m.

Chaco is a national treasure. If you haven't visited the place, you have missed a wonderful and awe inspiring opportunity.

NOTHING should be allowed that risks damage to Chaco. Nothing.

It deserves our protection.

But the trump administration cares not a whit for anything that won't earn money for someone.