Rylan Bergersen, Jahshire Hardnett transferring from BYU

• Squirtle ,
    March 26, 2019 12:06 p.m.

Hey guys, wait a minute before transferring. Did you hear Rose is leaving?

• buryme Mesa, AZ
    March 24, 2019 10:32 p.m.

The sad thing for me is that I see my enthusiasm for BYU waning over time. Too many years of mediocrity.

• worf McAllen, TX
    March 24, 2019 1:38 p.m.

Despite a dissappointing end to the year, BYU is still the state champions of Utah.

• logical Meridian, ID
    March 23, 2019 2:32 p.m.

Contact Mark Madsen and offer him an assistant job. He would be a great choice for head coach and within the year, Rose can retire!

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    March 23, 2019 2:15 a.m.

Who Cares?!!! Players come and go. Instead of worrying about this, I think that this coaching staff needs to see if they can find a pulse on the wrist of every player left in the program.

Childs was the only player who seemed to want to win vs. San Diego. The rest looked uninterested and lazy. Its time for the Staff to start working these guys harder and make them accountable for their failure. This team was an embarrassment !

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    March 22, 2019 3:04 p.m.

I'm not sure what Yoeli Childs' status is concerning his earning a degree at BYU this spring, but if he hasn't earned it, he'll return to BYU next year. No NBA or Europe chance for Childs, but he could play in China for a year or two, maybe?

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    March 22, 2019 2:46 p.m.

Will the Lone Peak Deuce, aka the "Brick Brothers," be offered scholarships next year? Yoeli Childs will most likely leave..........Haws and Emery........oh my gosh?????? HAHA! I love those guys.....stay for ten more years!

• portlander Arlington, WA
    March 22, 2019 1:26 p.m.

I've mentioned Dan Majerle's name several times in regards to filling the bill at BYU. He has built a good rep at Grand Canyon U, outside of Phoenix and could be willing to move back to Utah for a step up at the Y. I am sure that there are other worthy coaches out there who are more than able to fill Coach Rose's shoes as well. But I agree with many, who believe that Coach Rose's time is past due in Provo.

• PRSomega Cedar Hills, UT
    March 22, 2019 1:03 p.m.

The big problem is that Coach Rose does not seem to be able to recruit internationally. The men's volleyball program is very successful...why not the basketball program. With all the international connections that BYU has, not being able to recruit internationally is downright unacceptable!

• Colduphere Afton, WY
    March 22, 2019 12:37 p.m.

Every great high school athlete finds it a big jump to Div I play. In basketball there are only so many minutes that can be shared on the floor. Bergersen has shown great potential at times but not consistency. It is probably a good decision for his playing career to look elsewhere. I will miss Hardnet's intensity and defense. Good luck to both of them.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    March 22, 2019 12:12 p.m.

Very nice guy....

However, Dave Rose is the Jeb Bush of basketball....Low Energy...Too laid back...Texas mellow.

He simply can't recruit and develop players...
    BYU needs to recruit overseas as well, you know, like BYU used to do.

Time for a go get 'em, Firebrand Coach...i.e. Frank Arnold, Steve Cleveland, and yes, I'll say it...Roger Reid (without the PR Nightmare persona).

• CougarCat Tucson, AZ
    March 22, 2019 10:51 a.m.

Finding myself agreeing w/Jello (again ) -
    - Bergersen & Jashire were ok, if not flat out good, but Cougs have many guards (too many)
    - Wade should help next fall
    - Need more quality "bigs"

I love(d) the play of Yoeli, but we should've had a true 5 in the middle and let Childs play 4 or even some 3. That's where he'll be playing at the next level (or does that even matter here?)

C'mon coaches, bring in some front court guys & develop them. Stop letting guys like Lee, Dastrup, etc, go stale on the bench. Those guys come in real handy at times.

• PorLibertad Salt Lake City, UT
    March 22, 2019 10:22 a.m.

I appreciate all the loyal BYU and Dave Rose fans out there who are holding solid in Coach Rose's corner.

As has been said, Dave Rose is a class person and had been a reasonably successful coach up until 4 years ago. Since then, the Cougars haven't been to the NCAA tourney one time. They have never won the WCC tournament. Coach Rose lost the best assistant coaches he had and brought in "green horns" who had no college coaching experience which hasn't helped much. Not sure who is to blame for that? Is BYU unwilling to fund salaries for more experienced coaches? Is Coach Rose insecure and doesn't want to bring in anyone who might challenge his coaching philosophies which are producing mediocre results?

All I know is that we can see what bringing in a new coach like Utah State did can do for a program. Craig Smith at USU exudes enthusiasm and a solid player development skill set. Who wouldn't want to play for a coach like that!

Does Dave Rose still bring those attributes to the program??

• Idahoflyfisherman Island Park, ID
    March 22, 2019 9:54 a.m.

The problem isn't Dave Rose. The problem is the immediate gratification that young people can't live without. Mika Leaving early to make money was fine, a personal decision. Same with Elijah. Many athletes want to make money and are not committed long term. Dave Rose is an excellent coach and a better person. If BYU let's him leave it will be a huge mistake!!!

• CoHawk Littleton, CO
    March 22, 2019 8:55 a.m.

The good news is that our basketball program is already average so these transfers will not make us worse. Hardnett is quick and we lack quickness so it hurts a little ...... but he fell out of favor with Rose so he was done anyway. Rylan was physically able to do some things that our other guards weren’t. I don’t know why he didn’t get morenplaykng time. 6’yeaes ago I would give Rose the benefit of the doubt and say Rylan isn’t good enough but I am not going to vouch for Rose’s talent evaluation anymore. The bigger problem is the cancer that appears to be in this program. Roses lack of a bench and lack of a starting 5 who can play at even a decent level is all related to his recruiting. Program in disarray!

• red.diehard Central, UT
    March 22, 2019 8:31 a.m.

@Oregon Ute

You're right. Players come and players go, it is the nature of college sports.

• Jello is Good ,
    March 22, 2019 7:06 a.m.

This is no surprise and not that big of loss. Bergersen had some talent, but he was wildly inconsistent, was often out of position on D and at times was a turnover machine. We have Wade who is eligible this coming year and are too deep at the guard positions. Hopefully these two roster spots as well as our two graduating seniors will be filled with big men.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    March 22, 2019 6:05 a.m.

This hurts!

Coaches need to figure out how to fix this!

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    March 22, 2019 5:42 a.m.

Further evidence that this program is dying under Dave Rose. However, Tom Holmoe is a big part of the blame. Likely will finish 4th or 5th in the lowly WCC next year and no prospect for a post-season tournament.

• BlueHusky Saratoga Springs, UT
    March 21, 2019 11:31 p.m.

Harnet was starting until he got hurt. But something went on before that. He was pretty good, but not great. Hate to see him go, though.

I agree that the program is fading but the real issue is the transfers and jumps to Europe. As usual, the mission delay also complicates team building. If I were coaching, I'd go after non-LDS players. When they come back, it takes a season to just get back into shape.

But it's pretty clear that BYU needs new blood. Coach Rose was a very good coach, but things seem to out of synch last three or four years.

• Oregon Ute Hermiston, OR
    March 21, 2019 9:58 p.m.

I believe transferring is becoming a normal thing nowadays. It's happening all over the country, in all sports. I don't blame kids for transferring. They are looking for more playing time. If I had been good enough in sports to play in college I would have wanted to play and not ride the bench. These transfers will probably go to lesser programs and find more playing time.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 21, 2019 7:57 p.m.

It just feels like the program is in disarray....

• IQ92 hi, UT
    March 21, 2019 6:03 p.m.

It's not Rose or Holmoe.

Just answer me this: Besides playing for one's childhood team, what benefits are there for a highly-skilled player to play for BYU?

Answer: None—well, other than academics and the honor code. Oops, those things aren't such a draw to 99.9% of top-shelf athletes. Sorry.

• LoveLondon Murray, UT
    March 21, 2019 5:08 p.m.

Reading the comments about players transferring you would think the sky is falling on the BYU basketball program. Let me assure you it isn't. Did BYU underperform this year? Yes, they did. That said I don't know how you can justify firing Rose? He has taken BYU to more NCAA tournament appearances (8) than any coach in BYU history and that includes the great Stan Watts (7). Also, Rose has the highest win percentage in BYU history and has the seventh highest win percentage among active Division I coaches. Rose has never had a losing season and firing Rose is not the answer.

Besides who are you going to bring in - Jeff Judkins? He's too old - BYU is not going to hire somebody to coach for four or five years. Hire Mark Pope? He's done a decent job at UVU and I think someday he could be the coach at BYU. However, he has not led UVU to any NCAA or NIT appearances.

Do I get frustrated with Rose sometimes? Yes, I do. He didn't give Payton Dastrup enough minutes and so he left. However, losing Rylan Bergerson and Jashire Hardnett is not going to hurt this team. Other players are perfectly capable of filling their shoes.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    March 21, 2019 4:55 p.m.

Time for Rose to transfer....

• HuskyVa SPOTSYLVANIA, VA
    March 21, 2019 4:43 p.m.

TBH, I'm sure the coaching staff would rather take their chances without these two. Unfortunately, based on recent recruiting, it doesn't seem they have anyone better coming in though.

• Justiciaparatodos Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2019 4:39 p.m.

I recall about a year ago, Tom Holmoe supported his football coach in letting Ty Detmer go. I also recall in the news that BYU kept Ty on payroll for quite a lengthy time after he was done coaching the team. Those facts suggest that it would not be unreasonable for Tom Holmoe to contemplate letting coach Rose go. Yes, it was a painful decision to let Ty Detmer go, but they did that for the good of the football program that was struggling mightily.

Now the basketball program is in serious decline. The team hasn't attained any significant achievements like winning a conference championship since joining the WCC or for the last 4 years hasn't even made it into the NCAA tournament. Sure, a lot of people like Dave Rose - a lot of people like Ty Detmer too, but that fact didn't stop Tom Holmoe from ratifying Coach Sitake's move to improve the team - and he has done that so far. For the good of the BYU basketball program, Mr. Holmoe needs to take decisive action now and start rebuilding this floundering basketball program before more players leave and before more basketball fans give up.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    March 21, 2019 4:11 p.m.

So why do we see players transfer instead of Dave Rose should quit coaching or just step away? Yeah, I know Dave Rose got an extension for another year to end by Spring 2021.

• Cougalum St. George, UT
    March 21, 2019 4:07 p.m.

Rose and Holmoe: Tick tick tick tick tick tick... As I predicted a couple of weeks ago, the transfers were not over. They are still not over. As long as there are any players who are marketable to D1 schools there are players seriously considering a move. One or two more before midsummer? Oh how I hope I am wrong this time but I don’t think so. Tick tick tick...

• wallyball SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 21, 2019 4:01 p.m.

Not too suprising. Is Dalton Nixon next? The thing that should bring about change is the significant decrease in attendance over the past 3 years. The program is more than stagnant, it is in decline.

• cougarsrock Springville, UT
    March 21, 2019 3:48 p.m.

When will Dave Rose announce that he is leaving ??

• The Man! Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 21, 2019 2:21 p.m.

#1 Bergersen is talent we have watched off the bench. Always wondered why he didn’t get more minutes. Smart to get out while he can.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2019 2:22 p.m.

Rylan Bergersen in my opinion is another one of BYU's players who has quite a bit of potential but it just hasn't been properly developed. So what does another transfer mean?

I think this may be another indicator that many of the players lack confidence in the current basketball system and coaching philosophies. It may be another indicator that the program is in a crisis mode requiring some strong medicine to treat the symptoms?

Personally, I believe the best medicine for this ailing program is a new head coach who can bring in some new enthusiasm, new strategies and some new leadership for the players. This old BYU fan is hoping Mr. Tom Holmoe is following the vibes in the BYU nation and planning to do something bold to shake things up. C'mon Mr. Holmoe, you can do it! Go Cougs!