Who's hiring the most tech workers in Salt Lake City? The answer may surprise you

• Makid Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2019 12:18 p.m.

Of the top 10 list, 1, 2, and 7 have large groups of tech employees in SLC. Not listed though is the UofU, they have a very large IT department based solely Downtown. The State has 4 offices full of IT workers, all downtown. There are also another 50 companies throughout downtown that each employ between 50 and 200 IT workers and they are expanding quickly.

The majority of the employees at these companies and including Goldman Sachs all live in SLC and many of the Tech workers either own or rent in downtown. This is 1 sector that is pushing more residential development. They are actively renting the top end apartments in the $4K and up monthly range. The younger the IT worker, the more likely they are to live around downtown SLC if they work downtown.

There are a bunch of Tech companies that are growing, expanding and planning moves to downtown SLC to help appeal to the younger workers. This demand is increasing development of new commercial buildings as well as the renovation of older buildings. There are a few projects that will start this year to take advantage of the demand.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2019 12:03 p.m.

I know of many techies at the Church, they must be well paid since they're experienced and still there, even in the middle of the other tech companies.

• Frank Walters Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2019 12:03 p.m.

Interesting that data roles are missing from the salary list. Anyone who asks me what tech field to enter my answer is immediately data. Whether as a DBA or BI admin, analyst or similar there is no bad way to go. The hard part is the lack of formal training in the fields, which typically results in an entry level position and working your way up. But I've seen nothing but growth in my 20+ years in data and will remain in demand for the next 20 (companies will only continue to value their data).

And I'm glad data isn't on the salary list since we're above the rates seen there...

• cjf Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2019 9:57 a.m.

The article says that the details are missing from the hiring practices of The Church. Given that almost all of the tech workers that The Church hires are temporary (Contingent or Contract), and are one to two year positions, that means that they must constantly have many more open positions that are listed, since these temporary workers are there for a short time. Thus, the need for far more hiring than other companies.

With that, I remain unconvinced that The Church actually employers more tech workers than other companies. It might be true that The Church has more tech workers than anybody else in Utah, but we can't make that conclusion based on the number of positions that they have filled recently.

• NEAD SLC, UT
    March 18, 2019 9:37 a.m.

@Say No,

4 years ago, I moved back home (I grew up in Sandy) from an associate professor position at a Big 12 university to join one of those top-10 tech employers listed in the article. One of the reasons I decided to move was *because* the job is in downtown. I also chose to live in Salt Lake City proper. Last year, I passed on a job opportunity doing a similar job in Draper, because that company wasn't easily accessible via transit, and I didn't really want to spend every day in an unwelcoming, far flung suburb.

Don't assume that everyone in the world has the same preferences as you.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    March 18, 2019 9:01 a.m.

I was wondering...how many of those companies are actually in Salt lake CITY?

Some of those names are actually nin Draper, Sandy, even Utah County.

So I ask, how many have major operations within the city limits?

Perhaps we are evaluating a broader MSA, and calling it Salt Lake City. This is important when it comes to planning/taxation/clout. Businesses and employees aren't coming here to live in Jackie's Kingdom. Quite the contrary.

• Malihini Northern, UT
    March 18, 2019 7:34 a.m.

I’m not particularly surprised to see the church as the top high-tech hiring company but what I am surprised to see is that they can hire that many people at the salaries they pay. They must be hiring new graduates rather than experienced. At some point the church should look at their compensation package and make it more comfortable for their employees.

• Hank1950 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2019 1:06 a.m.

I was surprised that the L. D. S. Church was the number one employer of high tech workers. But come to think of it Salt Lake City is the world headquarters for it’s million of members. I think probably the genealogy department also uses a lot of workers to carry out research also.

• geekusprimus Little Elm, TX
    March 17, 2019 9:08 p.m.

I think the tech fields, particularly web development, are the poster children for why everyone should go get a little extra education past high school, even if it's not a complete four-year degree. There are tons of well-paying jobs, even in the tech sector, that really just require a little bit of training and a portfolio to show that you know what you're doing. I know a lot of guys who draw in respectable, middle-class incomes while still in college because they take the time to learn some web programming skills, either on their own or in a class. By the time they graduate, they have a lot of experience, a degree, and six-figure job offers.