Utah State earns No. 8 seed, will face Washington in the first round of the NCAA Tournament

• bemorefair , 00
    March 21, 2019 8:59 a.m.

Go Huskies!!!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 18, 2019 11:48 p.m.

Rockwell - Baltimore, MD
    March 18, 2019 8:26 a.m.
    Congrats to the Aggies on proving that they were the best football and basketball teams in the state in 2018-2019.

-----------

utemythology

Utah LOST to their only "good" PAC 12 South opponent.

It's interesting how rankings are EVERYTHING to U, when Utah is ranked higher, but meaningless when Utah is ranked lower or unranked.

-----

So? Utat State played a ONE game schedule and lost at Michigan State.

Utah State had a good year playing #113 SOS.

Utah finished AP #29, playing #26 SOS.

Utah is picked as a top 15 team, #31 Utah State is not, and your team at #53 is a joke.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 18, 2019 11:42 p.m.

Rockwell - Baltimore, MD
    March 18, 2019 8:33 a.m.
    utemythology

"Utah State is 1-15 since 1970 in the NCAA."

An utterly MEANINGLESS statistic when it comes to seeding in the 2019 tourney.

-----

Did I say it was?

What I said was #8 Utah State overlooking #9 Washington to R32 with #1 North Carolina is laughable.

Just like USUs 1-15 NCAA record since 1970.

You welcome!

• Jello is Good ,
    March 18, 2019 8:14 p.m.

Yes, but the boundaries at that time included Waldorf and Indian head.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 18, 2019 7:53 p.m.

Jello guy

I’m on the inactive reserve, but isn’t White Plains near Laplata?

• Jello is Good ,
    March 18, 2019 5:20 p.m.

@ SpokaneUte

If you are a member then we were both in the White Plains Ward ‘91-‘93.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 18, 2019 4:25 p.m.

As far as the game goes; I will be pulling for USU. Washington is no push over; a ton of talent and a good coach. Great, great first round matchup. I look forward to watching.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 18, 2019 4:24 p.m.

65TossPowerTrap - Salmon, ID
    March 18, 2019 11:58 a.m.

Re: Jello is Good

------
    88-93. Indian Head & Waldorf MD
    It's a small world gents

• Rusty Filter ,
    March 18, 2019 3:55 p.m.

BSr
    I really doubt that Washington and Oregon think your there rival.

• Jello is Good ,
    March 18, 2019 1:07 p.m.

Cole rocked when Duke or Carolina were there.

Hey Brave Sir Robin, looks like we’re all down with the Terps!

Fear the Turtle. 🐢

Hope that’s alright with your narrow rules of fandom.

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    March 18, 2019 12:44 p.m.

Through the years, I've always cheered for instate and conference teams in the playoffs, including Utah.

It's amazing how some folks are pretending like that's some sort of betrayal or insincere fandom.

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    March 18, 2019 12:40 p.m.

Sounds like a Terps reunion.

I lived in Gaithersburg, MD 1992-1998, when the Terps were still playing in Cole Field House.

• Jello is Good ,
    March 18, 2019 12:26 p.m.

@65TossPowerTrap - Salmon, ID
    March 18, 2019 11:58 a.m.
    "Re: Jello is Good

79-81. Lanham,MD - Warrenton,VA - Fort Meade,MD - Laurel,MD - Deep Creek,MD - Springfield,VA - Silver Spring,MD."

Got back from Korea in '79. Graduated BYU '84. Moved to Ellicott City, MD 1991. MBA from College Park 1993. Laurel was in our Stake until 2002.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    March 18, 2019 11:58 a.m.

Re: Jello is Good

• rogerdpack Orem, UT
    March 18, 2019 11:33 a.m.

@Brave Sir Robin as a coug fan I will root for Utah State. Especially since they are playing against a PAC1 :). After that root for Gonzaga...kind of? Maybe if they do really well?

• Jello is Good ,
    March 18, 2019 11:25 a.m.

@65TossPowerTrap - Salmon, ID
    March 18, 2019 10:34 a.m.
    "Re: Jello is Good

I used to live in Maryland (mission), so I too am a Terps fan even though I don't like how they threw Lefty Driesel under the bus after the Len Bias tragedy."

Agreed. Lefty was a great recruiter and strategist, but would fool everyone with that "Aw Shucks" southern attitude.

Interesting note: Long before anybody suggested BYU was trying to be the Notre Dame of the West, Lefty claimed Maryland was the UCLA of the East.

What years and what areas?

• MRM Layton, UT
    March 18, 2019 11:06 a.m.

utemythology

"NW finished the year CFP ranked, as did we & unlike USU."

NOPE!

NW and Utah finished the REGULAR season CFP ranked.

Utah then crashed and burned in the post season, getting owned once again by Washington in the CCG, then suffering a total 2nd half meltdown against NW in the Holiday Bowl.

Utah State, meanwhile, won their bowl game, and unlike Utah, Utah State and NW both finished the season ranked in both final major polls.

It's absolutely hysterical how you chose to totally ignore post season results in claiming that Utah was better than Utah State.

That definitely would NOT have been the case if Utah had won their CCG and bowl games.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    March 18, 2019 10:34 a.m.

Re: Jello is Good

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    March 18, 2019 10:27 a.m.

This is a good draw. Washington is not playing well right now, so Utah State has a great shot at beating them. Too bad the next game will be against North Carolina, but it will be fun - enjoy the ride.

• Jello is Good ,
    March 18, 2019 9:04 a.m.

@Brave Sir Robin - San Diego, CA
    March 17, 2019 8:16 p.m.

"I'm curious: Are you BYU-P fans changing into Gonzaga fans or USU fans for the next month?"

Who are you pulling for in the tournament?

I'd like to see USU do well, but NC will undress them if they make it to the 2nd round.

I'm impressed with the way Gonzaga plays, but I am a big UVA and Michigan state fan as well.

I live in MD, did my post-graduate work there and am a big Terp fan, so I will CONTINUE to be a fan of the Turtle.

My final 4 is UVA, NC, Mich St and Gonzaga. NC beats MSU for the title.

• #1Cougarfan Riverton, UT
    March 18, 2019 8:37 a.m.

BYU beat Utah State AND Utah by 15 points. Too bad they faltered in the WCC tournament. Hopefully the Aggies will represent well.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    March 18, 2019 8:36 a.m.

“AZUTE makes me laugh. He tends to forget pertinent info, like the fact the Cougs basketball team took the Utes to the woodshed also.”

The point made was that usu was the state’s best, which I clearly refuted. I never claimed we were the best, so our result against byu-p was irrelevant.

“Who can forget how this representative of the conference of champions did in their bowl game against Northwestern....oops.”

NW finished the year CFP ranked, as did we & unlike usu.

Who was usu’s bowl game opponent? It was such a high-flyin’ juggernaut that my memory fails me right now? Where did that opponent finish CFP ranked?

“I think he will be eating some crow come Friday afternoon. Go Aggies!”

Anybody can beat anybody on any given day, particularly in March Madness, which is why I never guaranteed anything, either way.

So what is it I’m supposed to be eating crow about? My support of UW/PAC-12? Huh? Seriously?

Go Dawgs/PAC-12!

Go Utes!

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    March 18, 2019 8:33 a.m.

utemythology

"Utah State is 1-15 since 1970 in the NCAA."

An utterly MEANINGLESS statistic when it comes to seeding in the 2019 tourney.

Utah is 3-3 in the tourney during the 80k era, yet didn't even get a sniff at an NIT berth.

Keep spinning with your meaningless "stats"; once again they prove how divorced from reality your analysis is.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    March 18, 2019 8:26 a.m.

-----------

utemythology

Utah LOST to their only "good" PAC 12 South opponent.

The rankings PROVE that Utah State was, by far, the best team in the state in football and basketball during the 2018-19 season.

Football AP/Coaches
    #22/#21 USU
    unranked Utah

Basketball AP/Coaches/NET/KenPom
    #29/#25/#29/#34 USU
    ur/ur/#85/#87 BYU
    ur/ur/#90/#90 UVU
    ur/ur/#105/#114 Utah

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    March 18, 2019 7:59 a.m.

@same fan

"Who you rooting for BSR? Well of course, Washington amd Oregon."

Actually I'm rooting for Michigan, thanks for asking. I would never root for a conference rival, like any secure college sports fan. I'm rooting for USU, but only because they're playing Washington.

• CV Storm Hyrum, UT
    March 18, 2019 6:59 a.m.

AZUTE makes me laugh. He tends to forget pertinent info, like the fact the Cougs basketball team took the Utes to the woodshed also. Who can forget how this representative of the conference of champions did in their bowl game against Northwestern....oops. I think he will be eating some crow come Friday afternoon. Go Aggies!

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 18, 2019 6:55 a.m.

Congratulations

• PhxAggie Phoenix, AZ
    March 18, 2019 3:14 a.m.

I'm excited for this game to show USU against the Pac-12. The Aggies used the second half of the MWC tourney games to break away. Biggest challenge was the Lobos and their full court press the whole game but we still broke away. Go Aggies!

• Hank1950 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2019 12:57 a.m.

So proud of our Aggies, Go Utah State beat Washington !

• WonderBoy Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2019 11:47 p.m.

Go Dawgs! #woof #purplereign

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    March 17, 2019 11:31 p.m.

USU is rolling. Having gone to their game on Saturday at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas and then running over to the T-Mobile to watch Oregon vs, Washington, I believe that the Aggies will Crush the Huskies.

The Aggies, I believe, would have won the PAC12 this year...easily. The PAC 12 is the most highly over rated conference in the world.

The Aggies would have faired very well in the WCC as well. Although I don't think that they could beat Gonzaga, they would fair very well with the like of the rest of the conference.

Good luck to the Aggies. I look forward to a cinderella run!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 17, 2019 11:15 p.m.

@USU AGGIE FAN - Logan, Utah

I just hope the Aggies don't overlook the lower quality team from the PAC 12 to focus on North Carolina. Take care of the cupcake team first Aggies, then prepare for the Tarheels.

-------

Utah State is 1-15 since 1970 in the NCAA.

That program at a #8 seed is overlooking #9 Washington?

SMH

• Joyfully American Fork, UT
    March 17, 2019 10:58 p.m.

To answer Brave Sir Robin's question, I'm a Utah born BYU alum who lived in Spokane for 18 years and watched the Zags bball program grow into a powerhouse. Love my Zags! I'll always be a fan of my Cougars, and now happily cheering for USU as a Utahn. I really doubt that USU and the Zags will cross paths in the tourney :) They are on opposite sides of the bracket. It's fun having more than one team to follow. March Madness is great!

• tblack7070 Idaho Falls, ID
    March 17, 2019 10:16 p.m.

Go Aggies!! Make it rain on the huskies!!

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    March 17, 2019 9:22 p.m.

Well since they both made the Tourney, I guess we can root for both of them. I know I will. Who you rooting for BSR? Well of course, Washington amd Oregon. Too funny!

• cityboy Farmington, UT
    March 17, 2019 9:10 p.m.

Certain Arizona Ute fans have been wrong at every turn. With their encouragement of Washington to uphold PAC-12 dignity I am confident that USU will now be victorious.

• USU AGGIE FAN Logan, Utah
    March 17, 2019 8:51 p.m.

I was hoping for a 5 seed, but I guess an 8 seed will suffice.

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    March 17, 2019 8:49 p.m.

Should be an easy for the Aggies

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    March 17, 2019 8:16 p.m.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 17, 2019 7:09 p.m.

kitsutsuki - South Jordan, Utah
    March 17, 2019 5:25 p.m.

-----

LOL

Washington by double digits.

Aa far as football, #16 Utah is a P12 contender and a potential top 15 team, Utah State #31.

Utah State had a good year, next good year 2023.

• Aggies#1 MURRAY, UT
    March 17, 2019 7:06 p.m.

Time to make some noise in the tournament. Go Aggies?

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    March 17, 2019 6:45 p.m.

Go UW, rep us well!

Go PAC-12!

Go Utes!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    March 17, 2019 6:42 p.m.

“Utah state will once and for all prove that not only were they the best football team in the state this year, but they are the best basketball team as well. USU - the best athletic program in Utah!”

LOL

Take football, for instance—

Which good team did usu beat last year? And no, byu-p doesn’t qualify.

And why didn’t usu finish CFP ranked, THE preeminent poll of our day?

In fact usu has spent precisely ONE whopping week in it EVER!

I could go on and on.

usu was clearly the 2nd best football team in the state last year.

And in basketball, byu-p curb-stomped usu.

Go Utes!

• AggieGradCougarDad SPRINGBORO, OH
    March 17, 2019 6:34 p.m.

A couple of weeks ago I thought I might be able to catch an Aggie game in my backyard in Dayton in a play-in game. An hour drive to Nationwide Arena as an 8 seed is even sweeter. Go Aggies!!!

• KLL Coug Visalia, CA
    March 17, 2019 6:25 p.m.

Aggies make Udub the breakfast of Champions. Eat’em up Aggies!

• Jolley , 00
    March 17, 2019 5:49 p.m.

This is exciting. Too bad they couldn’t of taken the 8th seed here in SLC.

• Watching63 ,
    March 17, 2019 5:46 p.m.

USU is really fun to watch. Great team chemistry without a bunch of big egos. Beat the Huskies and then see what surprises you can come up with against the Tar Heels! As my mentor, Mark Erickson, always says, “This Blue’s for you!”

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    March 17, 2019 5:25 p.m.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    March 17, 2019 5:19 p.m.

Great job Aggies! They have been hot the last half of the season. Either way, the MWC would have been worthy of two at-large bids (unlike the WCC...)

• Sportycole North Salt Lake, UT
    March 17, 2019 4:51 p.m.

GO AGGIES. BEAT WASHINGTON.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah