Utah House votes to approve hate crimes legislation; Governor expected to sign

• Thomas Thompson Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2019 6:23 a.m.

I'm amazed, but also very pleased, that our Legislature and our Governor support this bill.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2019 4:44 p.m.

I guess my murder wold not be as important as some else's murder. So I'm worth less. Great to know.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2019 11:52 a.m.

Were Jazz fans exempted?

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    March 13, 2019 7:50 a.m.

Mainly Me said: "Does anyone really think that a criminal is going to stop and think, "Uh-oh, I'd better not attack this person because of his race. It means I'd be facing an enhanced penalty."

People seem to believe that someone who has had 2 drinks will stop and ask themselves is this worth a DUI?

Do enhanced drug penalties work in school zones, or is that just feel good laws too?

Why have any laws at all, if they don't effect peoples behavior?

• Ranch Here, UT
    March 13, 2019 7:03 a.m.

It's about time.

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    March 13, 2019 6:40 a.m.

Gov. Herbert, as a citizen and teacher in Utah, I urge you to veto this legislation. This does not unite us, it divides us as a state by creating classes of people who are "more equal" than others, just like in George Orwells' words from his allegory the Animal Farm, "All [people] are equal, but some [people] are more equal than others."

In a world where some are "more equal", is anyone truly treated equally under the law? And so I urge you to veto this poorly considered legislation. If we do not, it will set a dangerous precedent. Check the comment boards here and on other news websites, and you'll see that most Utahns agree. Or do a poll, but please, do not rush into signing this law just because a few loud special interest groups say so. Most of your constituents say otherwise.

• tabuno Clearfield, UT
    March 12, 2019 10:41 p.m.

With the extreme reactive responses in America surfacing when political expressions are vented and violence seems to threaten, the ability to freely express one's political opinions under the First Amendment are vital to the very fabric of what makes America great.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    March 12, 2019 9:52 p.m.

No one deserves to be victimized for any reason whatsoever, but I question whether or not this is just feel-good legislation. Does anyone really think that a criminal is going to stop and think, "Uh-oh, I'd better not attack this person because of his race. It means I'd be facing an enhanced penalty."

• 1Reader Alpine, UT
    March 12, 2019 9:40 p.m.

So we'll have a law against "hate"; that'll do the trick. Glad to know there are better reasons for crimes.