Jay Evensen: Believe it or not, the clock might be ticking on daylight saving time

• InMyOpinionAlso sandy, UT
    March 18, 2019 7:46 a.m.

I vote for DST. After work I can have a round of golf, mow the lawn, have a picnic in the mountains, go on a walk/hike, fish a stream for a couple of hours, perform outdoor service projects, wash the cars in the driveway, sit on the patio and watch nature, work on projects around the house, and basically enjoy life longer in the day.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    March 15, 2019 2:53 p.m.

Those relating their experiences in Arizona or the Philippines need to check a map. The closer to the equator one gets, the less the length of the day changes over the course of the year. As far north as the Wasatch Front is, there is a lot of difference in the length of the day over the course of the year. June 21, is just over 15 hours long when the sun rises just before 6:00 am, meaning it is really starting to get light by 5:30 am. Sunset is just after 9:00 pm with darkness setting in around at 9:30. All this on MDT.

Does anyone really want it to get light at 4:30 am in the summer?

In contrast, the shortest day, Dec 21, is 9 hours and 15 minutes long: from about 7:45 to 5:00 pm.

So the length of days in SLC varies by almost 6 hours.

In the Philippines, the longest days is less than 13 hours, the shortest day more than 11 hours for less than a 2 hour difference over the course of a year.

The time change is trivial. No worse than a trip to Disneyland, way easier than a trip to Disney World. But if we have to pick one time to live with, go with M-Daylight-T and have some light after school/work in both the winter and summer.

• J in the Desert Maricopa, AZ
    March 15, 2019 1:16 p.m.

15 years in AZ and I don't miss DST at all. It doesn't save money. In places like Seattle, it doesn't get dark until 10:30 or 11 pm in the summer. Which hard to get children to bed when they should be sleeping. We would be far better off to adjust working hours throughout the year than to continue this arbitrary cycling of the clock twice each year.

• dogbreath Francis, UT
    March 14, 2019 7:28 p.m.

Well if observing daylight saving time is against the law, why don't we just observe standard daylight time for a week only, say the week between Christmas and New Year. That way we wouldn't be breaking the law. BTW, who are the daylight saving time police and what is the penalty for breaking the law? I've never heard of such a stupid law.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2019 12:52 p.m.

"Only the government is stupid enough to think you can cut the bottom off a blanket, sew to the top and end up with a longer blanket."
    Said by an old indian when he learned about daylight savings time.
    I say pick a time and stick with it. I prefer standard time because I don't care to go to bed with the sun still up.

• David Centerville, UT
    March 14, 2019 12:28 p.m.

Living in the Philippines where they don't have Daylight Savings Time, we got along just fine. I vote to do away with it in the US.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2019 12:27 p.m.

I want my hour of sun to be in the morning when i can walk or exercise in the cool before work
    i do not want it at night where i am forced to sit in the ungodly heat to watch a beloved bees game or try to go to bed when the sky is still light and the air-conditioning is pounding to cool the house to a sleep-able temp

leave the clock alone and leave it on standard time

• quackquack Park City, UT
    March 14, 2019 11:53 a.m.

I for one say get rid of it, your body follows a sleep cycle constantly disturbing that cycle can cause health issues. Their are multiples studies over multiple years showing car accidents to health issue rising during day light saving times.

Furthermore these antiquated laws need to be scrapped from the books

• Rob_Rio_71 South Jordan, UT
    March 14, 2019 11:51 a.m.

Why don't we just legislate when we want the sun to rise and set. The idea of making daylight savings time all year long is not very well thought out. During the summer the sun would set around 9:02 PM (summer solstice June 21st), but in December the sun would not rise until 8:48 AM (winter solstice December 21st). I would rather adjust my clocks forward on March 10th. No one complains much about moving the clocks back on the first Sunday of November. In fact a lot of people probably really like getting that extra hour of sleep. So that breaks it down to a little pain moving them forward in March and granted the pain may last more than 1 day. But all the other trade offs more than make up for it. That extra hour in the evening beginning that first night are so great. Don't try to make day light savings time year round and do keep changing it that second Sunday of March. Think it through the whole year, not just one night.

• NativeUtahninAZ Phoenix, AZ
    March 14, 2019 10:24 a.m.

I've lived in Utah and Arizona and I can honestly say that I like the changes of daylight savings time better. It's really weird to wake up at 5am in the summer and have it be light outside. It's going to be hot either way because Arizona is hot round the clock, I'd rather have longer daylight hours. Changing the clocks twice a year is worthwhile (if your clocks don't already update automatically.)

• PhoenixAZ phoenix, AZ
    March 14, 2019 9:03 a.m.

Daylight Savings Time was put together in World War I for a purpose that I'm not sure was necessary. You know, since I wasn't there. But for now, it's stupid. Arizona doesn't do DST except for a part of the Navajo Reservation in the northeast corner. But I'm here to tell you that Arizona does NOT want another hour of sunshine. Especially in the summer. Put the time back everywhere where God intended it and stop meddling with Nature. When Man starts screwing around with that, nothing is ever right again.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    March 14, 2019 2:06 a.m.

The clock on my wall only gets its battery changed, too big of a hassle to change the time on it. It takes an hour to change all the digital an wind up clocks. I'd save time if I don't have to change the time on the clocks.

• I.M. Fletch Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2019 6:46 p.m.

I love daylight savings time and really don't understand how some are so static that they can't deal with a minor time change twice a year.

Do they not ever get in an airplane?

With as far north as Utah is, it just makes sense to maximize use of the daylight during the summer. And being on Chicago time during the short, dark, winter days has just the opposite effect - shortening meaningful use of our daylight hours when they are in short supply.

Long live the simple brilliance of Benjamin Franklin.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    March 13, 2019 3:55 p.m.

Lets leave it along, and keep as much "daylight" in our evenings as possible. Time to get rid of this change twice a year that makes you wonder what the benefit of it really is.

• Bunca Kaysville, UT
    March 13, 2019 2:06 p.m.

Schools can adjust start times a bit if needed. My older kids go to school in the dark for most of the year anyway. I don't care which time we choose, but let's stick with one or the other and stop the changing back and forth.

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2019 12:55 p.m.

Standard time or daylight savings time; make your choice and keep it year 'round. Avoid the 1 hour loss in the beginning of the year. The havoc from that is not compensated by the adding of 1 hour in the fall. Then, ironically, perhaps schools and other entities could revise their schedules ( which will have some impact on other's schedules ). Personally, I believe at noon the sun should be directly overhead. But, I am old-school; just keep the clock unchanging during the year.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 13, 2019 12:22 p.m.

Strange that a bussinessman would want to do away with one of the most effective way to maximize profits.