Guest opinion: Utah should raise the legal tobacco age

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    March 13, 2019 6:10 p.m.

Make it legal to be an adult.

• RedShirtCalTech Pasedena, CA
    March 13, 2019 12:35 p.m.

How about we ban tobacco and tobacco products? We know that they are addictive and cause all sorts of health problems. On top of that smoking or chewing it has no medicinal properties.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    March 12, 2019 4:52 p.m.

@MaxPower: "If I can sign my life away, I ought to be able to decide if I want tobacco or alcohol."

Would you also allow an 18 year old to buy a handgun or a self-defense rifle?

Should an 18 year old be allowed to serve in Congress or as President? The US Constitution requires minimum ages of 25 to serve in Congress, 30 to serve in the Senate, and 35 to be President or VP. This nation has always had a graduated age of majority. We continue to do so. And as brain science reveals how long it takes for brains to mature it makes good scientific sense to limit access to mind altering and/or addictive recreational drugs until after the brain is mature.

There is a huge difference between signing a contract to follow orders and actually being prepared to make crucial decisions. Pretty rare to have a commissioned officer younger than about 22 these days.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    March 12, 2019 3:24 p.m.

Seriously? With Wyoming being 70 miles away or the internet at your fingertips why would Utah even think it could make this work? Please, stop with the insanity.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    March 12, 2019 1:35 p.m.

If someone wants tobacco or alcohol, I say let them. It will weed out the stupidest members of our society.

I do think that anybody who ignores the science on tobacco and alcohol should never be allowed to express an opinion on other scientific topics such as climate change, evolution, or abortion. They have demonstrated that they are completely unable to process real scientific facts and will respond much more strongly to emotional suggestion.

• MaxPower Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 12, 2019 12:51 p.m.

Then we need to raise the minimum age to join the Armed Forces.

If I can legally enter into an enforceable contract, I ought to be able to decide if I want tobacco or alcohol.

If I can be charged and tried as an adult for a crime, I ought to be able to decide if I want tobacco or alcohol.