Letter: End Utah's wasteful water cycle

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 11, 2019 10:13 a.m.

@ConservativeCommonTater
    RE: "2 bits-Cottonwood Heights, UT "Any water use can be seen as "Waste" by people with an agenda".
    Another negative comment without any details. WHO is the group with an agenda?''
    ...

I didn't say a "Group" with an agenda. I said "People/Persons" with their agenda.

Meaning I can look at how my neighbor uses water and think it's waste. His lawn, his kids playing in it, his hot tub, etc. But he may look at me and think the ways I use water are "Waste".

We all waste water. Flushing it, watering our organic garden, etc.

===

RE: "What is the basis for their "agenda." I can tell you're a Rush follower.
    ---
    Well then you can tell something that's not true.

I don't follow Rush. Haven't heard anything Rush said in at least 10 years.

===

RE: "Why can't conservation (something conservatives don't want) be done just for the good of the environment?"...
    ---
    I'm not against conservation, especially conservation of water. I probably conserve water better than you do. I don't have room to tell you all the things I do to conserve water.

Never said it's a bad thing. I just said we can all look at others and think their use of water is wasteful

• Crusader Layton, UT
    March 11, 2019 8:11 a.m.

When the discussion turns to limiting population I will know that people actually care about water conservation.

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2019 6:28 p.m.

"2 bits-Cottonwood Heights, UT
    "Any water use can be seen as "Waste" by people with an agenda"

Another negative comment without any details.

WHO is the group with an agenda?

What is the basis for their "agenda." I can tell you're a Rush follower. He used that word 25 years ago and it has since been a code word for "liberals."

Instead of giving a negative comment about those "people with an agenda" just say that water conservation is a good thing.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 9, 2019 2:59 p.m.

Any water use can be seen as "Waste" by people with an agenda.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    March 9, 2019 1:42 p.m.

The issue is that every water district is its own fiefdom. But, you're right, there is no incentive for government and commercial properties to conserve. That's why we pass schools and government offices watering their grass at 2pm on 100 degree days, as well as days when it's been raining for 4 hours.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    March 9, 2019 10:21 a.m.

If we are going to end water subsidies, let's end them all, not just a few.

If water isn't to be subsidized, then nobody gets subsidies including the poor or new move ins. It costs the same to treat the 1st gallon as it does the millionth. So no more tiered rates. Just a flat per gallon rate. And no more raising the rates of established residents to build new treatment or delivery facilities for newcomers. Add an impact fee to all new construction to fund these needed infrastructure improvements.

Of course, many who claim to "oppose subsidies" will be horrified at the above two suggestions. The simply fact is that they don't oppose subsidies nearly so much as they hate certain lifestyles. The same folks who complain about morality-based legislation when it comes to sex or mind altering drugs, are perfectly fine imposing their morality about green grass or how others should live in the desert. Utah doesn't look like Phoenix so we are bad.

I can either support our current system, or a system of paying full price. But I want consistency both within water and when it comes to healthcare.

Or, be honest about true motives rather than claiming to "oppose subsidies."