BYU football: Lopini Katoa's presence a welcome addition for otherwise inexperienced running back group

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    March 9, 2019 1:19 p.m.

Zach + 5th and 6th string RB vs Utah
    20 of 29, 204 yards, 2 TD, 1 Int, 81.7 QBR

Shelley + 2nd string RB vs BYU
    19 of 28, 141 yards, 1 TD, 0 Int, 68.6 QBR

Soph Wilson will do just fine against Utah in August.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    March 9, 2019 11:22 a.m.

@ Squirtle,

I talk to Josh all the time because I respect all that he is. If I wanna make a huge wager on a Utah football game.....I call him. He is smart. I tease him about BYU every so often if he gets too amped up, but he is a Y fan that I would not dare make fun of. When BYU loses a game......he doesn't get a call from me. I know he hurts. He never chides me either when I lose a massive wager. It is called friendship.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    March 9, 2019 11:18 a.m.

People on this thread are talking about my many claims about BYU and LDS "nutrition." Well, they don't eat the proper foods and that is EXACTLY whY they rarely recover from soft tissue/ligament injuries. If y'all doubt my claims, just ask Dennis Pitta, the great BYU tight end, that was published three times in the Baltimore Sun about the food he ate as a missionary and at BYU before learning what to eat when he entered the NFL and succeeded for a few years. But, because he didn't eat correctly after he reached puberty, he lost his NFL career. I was a D1 scholly athlete and never suffered injury that I couldn't recover quickly........I knew and know what to eat folks! I still strain stuff, but it doesn't last long at all.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    March 8, 2019 2:41 p.m.

squirtle,

Or mike is sounding like me! I have no personal insight into nutrition, I have my own theory about strength and conditioning.

There seemed to be a drop somewhere 2 or 3 years ago in injuries just started to pile up since then.

I'm not worried about Katoa, I'm not worried that we'll have 4 solid RBs serviceable, I'm worried that we'll need 6 or 7 again this year.

• Squirtle ,
    March 8, 2019 1:36 p.m.

@london_josh - Lincoln, CA
    March 8, 2019 10:22 a.m.

"Combination of strength and nutrition and the brutal P5 start makes that hard.

BYU needs to look into nutrition and conditioning more, too many injuries. something happened a few years ago and the team hasn't been the same since."

Careful Josh. You are starting to sound a little like Mikey.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    March 8, 2019 12:54 p.m.

Old but not stupid,

The guy comes in the room, knows everything, and wins each argument. Period.

It's amazing!

For me, he's now the winner, he just goes alone winning things, and we're so low compared to where he is that it's hard to even fathom how to reach his winning ways.

The football board embodiment of a person who's master Stewart Smalley's daily affirmations. I'm just so impressed with him, that's all.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    March 8, 2019 12:24 p.m.

London...

Sure you didn't mean "whinner?"

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    March 8, 2019 10:35 a.m.

Nice update for interested parties, including trolls.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    March 8, 2019 10:22 a.m.

"If they can Keep Kotoa healthy"

Combination of strength and nutrition and the brutal P5 start makes that hard.

• Stang10 Highland, UT
    March 8, 2019 9:06 a.m.

If they can Keep Kotoa healthy, he will be one of the best backs that the cougars have had in a while. He's a talented kid.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    March 7, 2019 10:35 p.m.

“london_josh - Lincoln, CA
    March 7, 2019 3:32 p.m.

Azute,

you are right!

you are a winner!

so good to have your insightful comment!”

byu-p is way down the potem poll from us....Good thing for you you surrendered early!

Go Utes!

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    March 7, 2019 10:16 p.m.

Azute,

He had a horrible showing at the end, particularly his dismal bowl game numbers.

Right as always! You win sir, and one day the whole world will recognize you for the winner you are. Period.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    March 7, 2019 9:47 p.m.

“Just like last year, right?”

Which good team did ZW beat?

Crickets.

Go Utes!

• HardenedSteel Tracy, CA
    March 7, 2019 9:24 p.m.

Katoa-6'0" 209lbs., two others are 5'11" 180 - 200lbs., and where are the Algernon Browns (250lbs) or Brayden Al-Bakris (245lbs)? On a professional standard, some of the world's greatest sprinters are well over 6'0" tall. (Marrow, Crawford, Bailey, & Gatlin were 6'1;" while, Lewis & Christie are 6'2," & Usain Bolt is 6'5.") [former World Record holder: Steve Williams 6'4" 174lbs.] {greatest former NFL RB's: #30-#1, Motley 46'-55,' Barber 97'-06,' Johnson 08'-17,' Lewis 00'-09,- Watters 92'-01,' Perry 48'-63,' Anderson 79'-92,' Lynch 07'-18,' Thomas 88'-00,' Riggins 77'-85,' Taylor 98'-10,' James 99'-09,' Gore 05'-18,' Dillon 97'-06,' Bettis 93'-05,' Campbell 78'-85,' Dorsett 77'-88,' Faulk 94'-05,' Simpson 69'-79,' Martin 95'-05,' Harris 72'-84,' Davis 95'-01,' Peterson 07-18,' Allen 82'-97,' Tomlinson 01'-11,' Dickerson 83'-93,' Payton 75'-87,' Brown 57'-65,' Sanders 89'-98,' and Emmitt Smith 90'-04.'} EACH OF THESE MEN MAY ATTEST UNTO A GREAT OFFENSIVE LINE PAVING THE WAY TO HELP THEM OUT! My best guess: Dickerson was about the tallest at 6'3."

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    March 7, 2019 4:21 p.m.

@Ida Blu

Is Coach Grimes going to "ram a square peg into a round hole?"

Nope, he is going to ram round legs into a "square" goal.

🤗

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    March 7, 2019 4:17 p.m.

@AZ Ute

Oh, my. ZW "running for his life all year long"!

Just like last year, right?

🤔

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    March 7, 2019 3:32 p.m.

Azute,

you are right!

you are a winner!

so good to have your insightful comment!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    March 7, 2019 3:05 p.m.

Defenses will be pinning their ears back & ZW will be running for his life all year long.

Go Utes!

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    March 7, 2019 2:54 p.m.

I like hearing that they need to earn their spot - kind of a given since only 2 guys previously had a spot.

this is the group that has true fans scared to death - they need to stay healthy against a monstrous start of the season, which frankly doesn't happen for RBs too often, so they need depth.

Hopefully assignments and adjustments bring in more people to be RBs.

Interesting article, but scary, really scary!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 7, 2019 1:30 p.m.

So, there’s Katoa and Fanua, and “The rest of the running backs consist of unproven walk-ons, . . .”
    Seriously!!? Why hasn’t the RB position been better recruited? Especially considering Grimes is clearly insistent on a a “run-first” offensive scheme.
    A good OC will adjust his offense to match his talent. Is Grimes going to try to ram a square peg into a round hole?