Tougher penalties for drug dealing near shelters clears Utah House, but with concerns

• Emerger Magna, UT
    March 3, 2019 11:31 a.m.

I am opposed to such a law, based on the 14th Amendment, which protects all citizens against unequal treatment in the law.

• Gil Bates Mayfield, UT
    March 3, 2019 7:31 a.m.

Set a perimeter. Put up some signs. Prosecute a few dope dealers.

...and they will move down the street to avoid the "stiffer penalties."

Didn't we learn from the enforcement surge that if you crack down, they'll just move somewhere else, like the Jordan River or up the canyon? Then you have a bunch more hot spots to deal with.

It's hard to believe how absurd public policy is.

• What in Tucket Provo, UT
    March 3, 2019 7:02 a.m.

Heroin addiction could be likened to a potentially fatal disease. Addicts should not be incarcerated like a drug dealer, but shouldn't they be placed in a rehabilitation facility? Looks like a lot of money is being spent on this problem so I hope the results will be worth the investment. I hope the slat fence on the border will be funded as I can't see why we can't limit drugs, felons, and others who do not have our best interests at heart. The opioid epidemic is about $500 billion a year. Just a small reduction would easily pay for a wall.

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    March 3, 2019 1:32 a.m.

This appears to be another offensive in the war on drugs. Harsh penalties, zero tolerance and abstinence have been tried for 30 years. Utah is doubling down on it, because we don’t want to appear soft on crime. But we’re also a compassionate people and I believe that a leap in consciousness will occur with the rising generation.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    March 2, 2019 11:21 p.m.

Does anyone really think that enhanced penalties will do anything to stop drug dealing? I'm completely against drugs, including most pharmaceuticals, but does anyone really think that a drug dealer is going to stop and think, "Uh-oh, I'll get an enhanced penalty if I deal drugs here. I'd better go down the street 200 yards more so I only get 3 years in jail instead of 5." This is nothing more than feel-good legislation and won't do anything to stop drug dealing.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2019 11:06 p.m.

We have to crack down on dealing whether they are part of the homeless or not. We have to go after the people manufacturing and distributing drugs. They are destroying our communities.

• Granny Saint George, UT
    March 2, 2019 6:28 p.m.

Penalties for selling and using drugs should be SEVERE always. It shouldn't matter the proximity to a particular building or neighborhood.